You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Welsh Dude

Default RIP Max Payne!

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/index2.php

Here are a selection of pictures from the official site....

I adored the first two games for its noir style and gritty New York setting. Really disappointed from the looks of this so far. It's as if R* just wanted to make a game based in South America and put Max Payne in the title to sell it.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
merely human

Have you played the game yet?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #3

He looks like Vin Diesel
Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #4

Totally wrong, its commonly agreed now that he IS samfisher, lol.

There are places in brazil that are suitable for this franchise, provided that they use them, yeah that inlcude noir urban gritty locations too, however there are chances that he will return to old country locations, so only thing that is to criticize is his looks.

Right now game feels like samfisher in Justcause.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirYork View Post
I adored the first two games for its noir style and gritty New York setting. Really disappointed from the looks of this so far.
Agreed. What the hell are R* thinking? This is not Max Payne as far as i'm concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happens, like with Condemned and Condemned 2, where the lead character is completely changed in terms of looks, voice actor and personality.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Psychonaut

I'm dissapointed. It's more Uncharted than Max Payne.

I always liked the gritty snowy atmosphere of the previous games.

It just doesn't look right.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #7

Yeah, the only thing that they could do to make it worse is to make it 1st person lol
Old 06-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #8

I would've given it a benefit of the doubt if it weren't for the fact that the original team and writers have nothing to do with this sequel.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #9

Exactly, and no voice actors are coming back either
Old 06-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #10

This is rockstar,so you guys might be biting your words if game would STUN you LATER.
I am working on unannounced semi-known rockstar title, hope it wont get bad criticism too.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
Exactly, and no voice actors are coming back either
That's just stupid!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #12

I agree that these screens don't "look" Max Payne, but I think it could just be part of the game. An example might be something like: You start off in the middle of the day in South America, and by the end of the game it's 2am and rainy in downtown New York, you're beaten to hell as you drag yourself through the gritty streets to the final boss.

I could see it working really well....
Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #13
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
This is rockstar,so you guys might be biting your words if game would STUN you LATER.
I am working on unannounced semi-known rockstar title, hope it wont get bad criticism too.
It's not being made by Rockstar North which is about the only decent part of that company (i.e they made the GTA games)

It's made by the Vancouver part which last game was Bully.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I agree that these screens don't "look" Max Payne, but I think it could just be part of the game. An example might be something like: You start off in the middle of the day in South America, and by the end of the game it's 2am and rainy in downtown New York, you're beaten to hell as you drag yourself through the gritty streets to the final boss.

I could see it working really well....
Ha, yeah, or something like: Max Payne decides he needs a vacation from the gritty, rainy downtown streets of New York, so takes a trip to a foreign country only to find it heaving with mobs who want to kill him just for... being American. He kills them all and thinks 'sod that', goes home back to gritty, rainy downtown and lives miserably ever after. could work
Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #15

The writing and script is redeeming quality of Rstar , they are only ones who do it amazingly. So that can pull audience in, i hope everything i heard is true about story. Still it will sell millions i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
It's not being made by Rockstar North which is about the only decent part of that company (i.e they made the GTA games)

It's made by the Vancouver part which last game was Bully.
The reason i joined Rstar was not related to GTA.
So whatever floats your boat.I Loved manhunt, redead and others.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 AM   #16
Banned User

The thing is, the NY arc is finished. There was nowhere to go after MP 1 & 2. Not to mention, it makes sense that Max went to South America, since he lost everything he loved in New York, not to mention he is still a criminal. This whole introduction is really genius because NY isn't the only Noir location in the world. Brazil can be a very fucked up place.

Not to mention, we haven't played this game yet. I have faith in rockstar. As long as they don't fuck up with the coding as seen in Bully, then I'd be happy. I think Bully for the PC is still quite messed up. >_<

I love this new look, and I welcome its new story arc.

I definitely agree with Nomad on this. Though I'm REALLY looking forward to Red Dead Revolver.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM   #17

It does seem different but it looks like a cool game. I'll have to trust the reviews on it.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #18

This is going to be like Far Cry 2. Different developers, completely different game, then they put a well known title to sell a few millions.

The Max Payne story was over and had a nice ending, there was no need for a 3rd one.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

I always liked the gritty snowy atmosphere of the previous games.

It just doesn't look right.
Yeah, in order to reinvent a game you don't just throw in south american slums for the sake of it..
To me there are too few games that have such a scenery or atmosphere than the Max Paine games, now everything is about middle east/south america!

Fan of the old games despite being repetive, they had great presentation and engaging stories.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #20

Brazil has noir type locations, as i said, dont reat it as underdeveloped slums only country. There is lotsa potential provided they use it. ITs way modern with beautiful architecture, actually worth travelling.

Besides that there is biggest/largest vertical slum in the world, which could do good as setting of any original game let alone mp3.

Also you might will get dose of past who knows.