You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Another "what should I buy?" thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #21

LOL...If you don't want to get hooked on games, why get ANY console? Just something to pass the time?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #22
is not wierd

That was really only semi-serious. Next-gen pricing will keep me from buying too many games, already.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #23
merely human

I figure if you snag a 360 and then buy a few games, like Mass Effect and Bioshock, you'll not that many more because those games will offer you about 100 hours each (if you really try to explore every single nook and cranny).

What you need is not to stay away from gaming, but to use gaming as a reward for accomplishing many school related things, like studying and getting high marks on exams.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
Supreme Dictator for Life

I'd recommend the 360 (though I'm extremely biased due to the fact that I got one a few weeks ago and I have a strong dislike for nintendo products). A game like Oblivion will probably keep you occupied for a few weeks - and that's with heavy play (I've put about 20 hours into it and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface). XBox Live is a cool feature too, as it at least allows access to downloadable demos (not sure if the "free" XBL does this, but the Gold version has come close to paying for itself already). I'd strongly recommend putting up the extra $100 and springing for the premium pack. That hard drive is a great luxury to have. There are only two real downsides to the 360 that I can think of: 1) There have been a lot of reports of 360s breaking down (though this hasn't happened to me or anyone I know). 2) "Backwords compatibility" is kind of sketchy. None of my EA games from regular XBox work on the 360 with the exception of fight night.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #25
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsta View Post
(not sure if the "free" XBL does this, but the Gold version has come close to paying for itself already).
Yes, the free Silver Tier Live service offers playable demos (though sometimes new demos debut for the Gold members before being passed along to Silver members a week later).

Quote:
I'd strongly recommend putting up the extra $100 and springing for the premium pack. That hard drive is a great luxury to have.
Absolutely no doubt about it, spend the extra 100 for the hard drive. Games like Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Oblivion, and most likely Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed will need the extra space.

Quote:
There are only two real downsides to the 360 that I can think of: 1) There have been a lot of reports of 360s breaking down (though this hasn't happened to me or anyone I know).
Microsoft has recently extended their basic warranty from 6 months to one year. When my console [expectedly] broke down I sent it in and they practically replaced it with a fresh one in less than two weeks. They also sent me an invitation to renew my warranty another year for about $30.

Quote:
2) "Backwords compatibility" is kind of sketchy. None of my EA games from regular XBox work on the 360 with the exception of fight night.
There were at least 200 Xbox games available with b/c and the list is still steadily growing. Still, I'm saving my first Xbox because many old savegames are in it and if I stumble on an old game for cheap I can still play it.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-04-2007, 11:38 PM   #26
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Absolutely no doubt about it, spend the extra 100 for the hard drive. Games like Splinter Cell: Double Agent, Oblivion, and most likely Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed will need the extra space.
Then again, maybe getting the Core pack now and a separate hard drive later is a better idea. I'm pretty sure a larger hard drive with a similar price point will be announced some time this year. Although, the Core pack also means wired controllers and no included component cables.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #27
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
Although, the Core pack also means wired controllers and no included component cables.
Bingo.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:52 AM   #28
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I figure if you snag a 360 and then buy a few games, like Mass Effect and Bioshock, you'll not that many more because those games will offer you about 100 hours each (if you really try to explore every single nook and cranny).

What you need is not to stay away from gaming, but to use gaming as a reward for accomplishing many school related things, like studying and getting high marks on exams.
Hey! That's what I did I've been a good boy getting my degree and all and my reward is a 360 + 20" TFT
For backwards compatibility check out this list. It doesn't say which games are PAL-50 only though .
Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 PM   #29
is not wierd

Thanks for the opinions. Seems an overwhelming majority in favor of 360, then DS and only one rec for the Wii I think. Little surprising.

Anyways, I will meditate on this for a short time, and let you know what I do.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

The harddrive is manditory if you want to use Live atall
I say get a 360 aswell, after a year of mine just sitting there I finaly got some decent games for it!

Phantasy Star Universe is a good RPG out for it, even if you dont plan on laying the MMO part the offline campeign is worth it

Althouhg Id also say the Ds...just for Phoenix Wright
Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 AM   #31
hello

Chalk up another for a 360.

I cant help but think if you got a wii you would be left frustrated when looking at next gen games like bioshock, gears of war, mass effect etc, since the wii has less powerful hardware than the original xbox, and these types of games will not be possible on the console.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #32
Half Human/Half Producer

You know what i would say ?

Just wait one year, collect your money and spent it on buying DS and PS3.

My 2 euro cents.
- God of war
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #33
Banned User

Take it from Time Magazine...avoid the PS3 like the plague.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #34
Hopeful skeptic

Since the PS3 isn't one of the choices, I doubt that advice helps much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Seems an overwhelming majority in favor of 360, then DS and only one rec for the Wii I think. Little surprising.
Not that surprising, really. Neither the Wii nor DS are "hardcore" gaming machines, so as much as people like them, if you can only have ONE system to accommodate all your gaming needs, it makes sense to recommend the X360.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #35
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Since the PS3 isn't one of the choices, I doubt that advice helps much.

Not that surprising, really. Neither the Wii nor DS are "hardcore" gaming machines, so as much as people like them, if you can only have ONE system to accommodate all your gaming needs, it makes sense to recommend the X360.
Well uh....I only read the title...so there!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 AM   #36
Half Human/Half Producer

I have so much lol here.. Really.. The most brainless people on earth are here on this thread. ugh !

And eureka, Please... I know that your bed is made of Xbox components.
- God of war
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM   #37
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps3Lover View Post

Pfft...I wish...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #38
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps3Lover View Post
I have so much lol here.. Really.. The most brainless people on earth are here on this thread. ugh !

I hate to say it, but just temporary ban this guy already, seems that's the only way he'll learn not to insult other people.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #39
merely human

I just reported that post, cobsie. Ps3Lover, please stop the trolling NOW or we will request you to be banned.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #40
Homer of Kittens

It really depends on your preference, as each of the three are very unique in what they provide.

360 is different than the other 2 in that its target audience is the hardcore gamer. Yes it has XBLA, but probably it won't be attract too many mom and dads (or sisters) who are going to pay 400 dollars to play Hexic? In the shooter/action genre, it is second to none, and it has some interesting upcoming RPG's like Mass Effect and Blue Dragon (Fable 2, if that's your cup of tea). It also has a lot of good sports/racing games.

DS is a very unique platform with a variety of different games, from the casual to the serious. It has the best strategy game in Advanced Wars, it has 2 very good adventure games (Phoenix Wright and Trace Memory), with Phoenix Wright 2 right around the corner, and it has a lot of the Nintendo first party franchises. It does suffer from very bad ports though (check out most multi-platform games, and you'll see the DS version usually gets the lowest score).

Wii is exciting in its cool controller, it has all the nintendo franchises, and it promises excitement. It is also very cheap for a console (which to you seems a concern), looks good on standard definition (you don't have HD), and has cheaper games than the 2 other next gen consoles. The only thing that is not certain yet is the level of third party support it will get in the future, and if the novelty of the controller will grow old after a while.

As you can see, all three offer different playing experiences and only you can know what fits most your style.

Firefox rules