You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General I get to play the Wii on Monday night!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #41
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litrick View Post
I hate to rain on the Nintendo is so innovative parade. But what is so innovative about having a low definition peice of last gen hardware, with the same old storage devices, and graphics worse than your competitors previous gen consoles? (yes the graphics in most games dont rival the orignal xbox) including a gimmicky controller which may be fun until the novelty wears off does not spell out incredible innovation when the rest of the hardware is so pathetic.

What is going to happen in the future when the 360 and ps3 are getting games which an incredible amount of depth, next gen physics incredible graphics, and wii is stuck with last gen games and an overhyped way of interfacing with them?
Add to that the fact that if the wii-mote is successfull, microsft and sony could easily release a smilar type of device for their consoles.. then you high def next gen content, HD graphics, advance physics etc etc and a stupid gimmicky controller, and the wii is just left with crap games and a gimmicky controller. The only benefit to the wii is the price... and you can certainly see why its so cheap when you look at the games.
Trolling not appreciated.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:49 PM   #42
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
I hate to rain on the Nintendo is so innovative parade. But what is so innovative about having a low definition peice of last gen hardware, with the same old storage devices, and graphics worse than your competitors previous gen consoles? (yes the graphics in most games dont rival the orignal xbox) including a gimmicky controller which may be fun until the novelty wears off does not spell out incredible innovation when the rest of the hardware is so pathetic.

What is going to happen in the future when the 360 and ps3 are getting games which an incredible amount of depth, next gen physics incredible graphics, and wii is stuck with last gen games and an overhyped way of interfacing with them?
Add to that the fact that if the wii-mote is successfull, microsft and sony could easily release a smilar type of device for their consoles.. then you high def next gen content, HD graphics, advance physics etc etc and a stupid gimmicky controller, and the wii is just left with crap games and a gimmicky controller. The only benefit to the wii is the price... and you can certainly see why its so cheap when you look at the games.
People said the same thing about the DS. The PSP is so much more powerful, yet its doing crappy.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 11-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #43
Psychonaut

Ah sucked into the whole "it must be shit just because they are not keeping up with the jones graphically" brigade.

The PS3 and 360 have some great games, but a large proportion of them are uninpired sequels to prior games.

The Wii is at least trying something different.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #44
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
People said the same thing about the DS. The PSP is so much more powerful, yet its doing crappy.
no doubt the wii will do well. i just dont think including a controller which detects motion (which has been done before by microsoft and sony is doing it with the ps3) and having a second rate console with slow hardware and lack of high definition support is incredible innovation.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #45
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Trolling not appreciated.
I didnt mean too. just wanted to express my opinion about the wii.
apologies
Old 11-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #46
Psychonaut

Like HD is the be all and end all of gaming.

Nice graphics do not make for great games.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #47
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Ah sucked into the whole "it must be shit just because they are not keeping up with the jones graphically" brigade.

The PS3 and 360 have some great games, but a large proportion of them are uninpired sequels to prior games.

The Wii is at least trying something different.
Graphics are not the only thing brought to the table by the 360 and ps3. High definition gaming should be considered an innovation as it has not been done before this generation. another huge factor is the ability for new physics engine on the multiple CPUs, also much bigger and indepth games with the new storage mediums. The extra CPU power provides a multitude of options for game innovation. How you interface with a game is really less important than anything when you think about it. Think of the adventure games you have enjoyed. did they need a motion sensing control? or think of any great game for that matter. what is really important is having the ability to create innovative GAMES not how you control them. And the wii just does not compete with the others on this level... just read the reviews.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #48
hello

Quote:

and waving your arms around does?
Old 11-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #49
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:

And how many people have huge HDTVs? I don't know a single person who does, maybe in another 10 years then huge HDTVs will be more dominant.

And why on earth would be the point in having the PS3, 360 & Wii going head to head graphics wise? Its pretty clear that Nintendo does not want to compete graphic wise so people should just drop that lame excuse.

The Wii has the best launch games ever, and I've been present through almost every console launch from the Fifth generation and onwards (PS1, N64 etc) The Wii has the most amazing launch titles I've seen, Trauma Centre, Zelda, Monkey Ball, Red Steel, Far Cry: Vengeance, Call of Duty 3, Avatar: The Last Airbender etc...

People should really stop bitching about the graphics, its just plain silly at this point. You want graphics go to the 360.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 11-29-2006, 02:16 PM   #50

Quote:
Graphics are not the only thing brought to the table by the 360 and ps3. High definition gaming should be considered an innovation as it has not been done before this generation.
*cough* PC *cough* If you want to give credit to consoles for things that computers have been doing all along, then you have to declare the wii as innovative for being the size of a mac mini.

Quote:
another huge factor is the ability for new physics engine on the multiple CPUs, also much bigger and indepth games with the new storage mediums.
Multiple CPUs have been tried many times already. What new storage medium does the 360 have? Ironically, it's the wii's optical drive that's innovative, it's the first slot loading drive that can use 8cm and 12 cm discs.

Quote:
How you interface with a game is really less important than anything when you think about it.
Then maybe you should go buy yourself a keyboard with tiny keys and a trackpad to save some space?

Quote:
Think of the adventure games you have enjoyed. did they need a motion sensing control?
Just try playing games suited for mice with a gamepad.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:21 PM   #51
hello

Quote:
And how many people have huge HDTVs? I don't know a single person who does, maybe in another 10 years then huge HDTVs will be more dominant.

And why on earth would be the point in having the PS3, 360 & Wii going head to head graphics wise? Its pretty clear that Nintendo does not want to compete graphic wise so people should just drop that lame excuse.

The Wii has the best launch games ever, and I've been present through almost every console launch from the Fifth generation and onwards (PS1, N64 etc) The Wii has the most amazing launch titles I've seen, Trauma Centre, Zelda, Monkey Ball, Red Steel, Far Cry: Vengeance, Call of Duty 3, Avatar: The Last Airbender etc...

People should really stop bitching about the graphics, its just plain silly at this point. You want graphics go to the 360.

HDTVs are the fastest selling comsumer electronics item and have been for a while now.
Have you read the reviews for red steel, call of duty? go to ign and check them out. They say the contoller sucks in red steel, and the 360 and ps3 COD3 are much superior... Zelda is always great
COD is the perfect example that if a game is better on another platform, it doesnt matter how you control it...
No doubt wii will be fun for you superficial party games that lack any substance apart from getting you to move lots. But if you are talking about games with real substance and huge depth, for example oblivion, the wii just isnt going to be able to compete, because it doesnt matter how you interface with is, it is the game itself that is important.

Anyway, go wii, i hope it is successful, i will be picking one up, i just wont be thinking it is an amazing innovation when i do
Old 11-29-2006, 02:26 PM   #52
Psychonaut

Quote:
Graphics are not the only thing brought to the table by the 360 and ps3. High definition gaming should be considered an innovation as it has not been done before this generation. another huge factor is the ability for new physics engine on the multiple CPUs, also much bigger and indepth games with the new storage mediums. The extra CPU power provides a multitude of options for game innovation. How you interface with a game is really less important than anything when you think about it. Think of the adventure games you have enjoyed. did they need a motion sensing control? or think of any great game for that matter. what is really important is having the ability to create innovative GAMES not how you control them. And the wii just does not compete with the others on this level... just read the reviews.
LOL. Do you work for Sony or Microsoft.

Better processing power doesn't mean better innovation any more than better graphics do. NFL 07 might have better physics,graphics and AI than NFL 90, but it's the same game puch buttons to pass ball. The new madden game actually lets you throw the ball with the Wii Remote. I know which one to me is more innovative.

As for adventure games. The Wii is the only console capable of making Adventure games playable on a console. Imagine the Wii controller with Myst IV. The movements replicating the hand cursor, pulling levers with the movement of the Wiiremote. etc etc etc

The Wii is an entirely new way to play games. Swing the tennis racket rather than just push a button and a multitude of other control features.

The PS3 is just a PS2 with more oomph. Innovation comes from the developers and the multi millions required to make a high def, real time physics, blu ray sized game actually negates innovation rather than cultivates it. Who wants to spend that kind of cash unless it's a sure fire hit (license or sequel)

Like the handhelds PSP and DS. PSP is the more impressive hardware, but there are waaaaaay more games on the DS i'd rather play. Infact I havn't bought or played a PSP game in months and months.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #53
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf View Post
*cough* PC *cough* If you want to give credit to consoles for things that computers have been doing all along, then you have to declare the wii as innovative for being the size of a mac mini.

Multiple CPUs have been tried many times already. What new storage medium does the 360 have? Ironically, it's the wii's optical drive that's innovative, it's the first slot loading drive that can use 8cm and 12 cm discs.

Then maybe you should go buy yourself a keyboard with tiny keys and a trackpad to save some space?

Just try playing games suited for mice with a gamepad.
Motion sensing has also been done before with pc, whats you point? HD is just as new to consoles as motion detection...

Again, yes multiple CPUs have been used before, that doesnt mean their benefits are lost because of it? being able to multithread the programming and game huge performance gains is not something to be sneezed at when talking about being about to make games more innovative.

360 now has HD dvd, ps3 is blu ray... not to mention Hard Drives.

I would hardly say the ps3s motion decting controller and the 360s controller equate to a keyboard with tiny keys and a trackpad.

Yes its not fun to use a joypad in a mouse oriented game, but the point is you didnt need some new exciting way to interface with those games, they were great because they were great games, and would be just as good no matter how you chose to control them because of the game content.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #54
hello

Quote:
LOL. Do you work for Sony or Microsoft.

Better processing power doesn't mean better innovation any more than better graphics do. NFL 07 might have better physics,graphics and AI than NFL 90, but it's the same game puch buttons to pass ball. The new madden game actually lets you throw the ball with the Wii Remote. I know which one to me is more innovative.

As for adventure games. The Wii is the only console capable of making Adventure games playable on a console. Imagine the Wii controller with Myst IV. The movements replicating the hand cursor, pulling levers with the movement of the Wiiremote. etc etc etc

The Wii is an entirely new way to play games. Swing the tennis racket rather than just push a button and a multitude of other control features.

The PS3 is just a PS2 with more oomph. Innovation comes from the developers and the multi millions required to make a high def, real time physics, blu ray sized game actually negates innovation rather than cultivates it. Who wants to spend that kind of cash unless it's a sure fire hit (license or sequel)

Like the handhelds PSP and DS. PSP is the more impressive hardware, but there are waaaaaay more games on the DS i'd rather play. Infact I havn't bought or played a PSP game in months and months.

More power doesnt allow for more innovation? you must be joking... look at half life 2. that could not have been made until we had PCs powerful enough to support the physics engine in the game which made it so great.. just use your imagination to think of the things that can be acheived with super fast machines...

The wii controller is not what you think, people are getting the impression that it is "just like playing tennis" or something like that... its not, it may detect your motion, but that is just translated to the game as "foward" or "back" or whatever, its essentially the same as pressing an analogue controller, yes for some things it may add an extra element of fun, but again, you need to look to the games themselves to get a good gaming experience.

It will be interesting so see how things have changed in a years time with peoples perceptions
Old 11-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #55
Hitch-Hiker

If Im not mistaken Half Life 2 could run on very modest specs and still be an amazing game.

_

Old 11-29-2006, 02:46 PM   #56
hello

Quote:
If Im not mistaken Half Life 2 could run on very modest specs and still be an amazing game.

Modest specs by today standard yes... but rewind a few years and you wouldnt have a hope of running HL2 on modest specs then. the point is, extra power opens up more options to game developers. There can be no disputing that.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #57
Psychonaut

Rewind a few years and you wouldn't have a hope of motion detection in controllers tehn. The extra control options opens up more options to game developers. There can be no disputing that.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #58
hello

Quote:
Rewind a few years and you wouldn't have a hope of motion detection in controllers tehn. The extra control options opens up more options to game developers. There can be no disputing that.

actually microsoft toyed with motion detection many years ago, they found that it was a gimmick that didnt really catch on. possibly through lack of software support?
Yes extra control options defineatly open up more options i agree. Its just a pity the games will be limited as far as amount of characters on screen, physics, particles etc, and will look terrible compared to other consoles.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:00 PM   #59
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Okay, we get it. YOU don't like the Wii. Why do Sony and Microsoft fanboys always feel like they have to put down everyone else's console? And why is it that the best argument they can give is "graphics are everything, blah blah blah"?

I don't play graphics. I play games. 'nuff said.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:01 PM   #60

That was tilt sensing, not motion sensing. Sure that logitech gamepad was a really good gamepad when it was available, but the wii controller takes the concept to a whole new level.

The 360 has an HD DVD drive? Since when?

You said control doesn't matter, so the principle's the same, would you, purely hypothetically speaking, be willing to practice what you preach by using space saving controls for your PC?

Last edited by undeaf; 11-29-2006 at 03:18 PM.