You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Overrated *clap Clap Clapclapclap*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #21
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I was pointing to FPS games because both games that you claim I have no experience with happen to come from that genre.

And any review marks for Halo should be taken with a pinch of salt. It was an Xbox exclusive launch title, and - trust me here - that always increases the score somewhat. I never said it was bad, but I did say that it was overrated.

Half-Life, if you must know, was overrated for quite different reasons (IMO). Five years after it was released people were still claiming that it was the best game ever, despite it having been surpassed in pretty much every way. That's when I lost faith in mainstream reviewers to actually look objectively at stuff.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #22
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

The first level of Halo was good, but after that it just went down as a rather average shooter.

But I guess because it was the first real fps "only" for Xbox, it was hyped so incredibly much so it became "a great game".

Man, I suck at explaining stuff.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:13 PM   #23
Banned User

Why would being an exclusive increase the score? That makes absolutely no sense.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:20 PM   #24

Send a message via MSN to I Love Cookiemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Half-Life, if you must know, was overrated for quite different reasons (IMO). Five years after it was released people were still claiming that it was the best game ever, despite it having been surpassed in pretty much every way. That's when I lost faith in mainstream reviewers to actually look objectively at stuff.
Yeah but it would be normal for a game to be surpassed after 5 years. But it was way ahead of other FPS back when it was released and still remains to be a very good and enjoyable game.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #25
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
The first level of Halo was good, but after that it just went down as a rather average shooter.

But I guess because it was the first real fps "only" for Xbox, it was hyped so incredibly much so it became "a great game".

Man, I suck at explaining stuff.
its much better when play'd cooperatively.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:28 PM   #26
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
Why would being an exclusive increase the score? That makes absolutely no sense.
Yes it does, when you review a PC game you don't compare it to a Xbox game because they're completely different. (even ports, graphics are better on the PC & controls are more precise, not always though)

So Halo is a 10/10 on the xbox, because thats the only thing going for the xbox unlike the PC, I won't even bother listing all the great PC shooters.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #27
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
It may make no sense, but history is littered with early console offerings that score higher than usual because there's nothing to compare them to. Just as Perfect Dark Zero many of it's early 90%+ reviews, so neither did Halo. This, incidentally, isn't just an Xbox thing. It happens with all consoles; early releases always receive inflated scores. It's only when the better games come out that people tend to notice.

Anyway, Halo would have been seen as a reasonable if unspectacular game if it had remained a PC game as was originally intended. Against precisely no competition on the Xbox it was seen as t3h gr34t35t g4m3 3v4r. That's how life works.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:50 PM   #28
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Yes it does, when you review a PC game you don't compare it to a Xbox game because they're completely different. (even ports, graphics are better on the PC & controls are more precise, not always though)

So Halo is a 10/10 on the xbox, because thats the only thing going for the xbox unlike the PC, I won't even bother listing all the great PC shooters.
Are you nuts? With your method of thinking, you'd be assuming that the reviewer would have never been exposed to any other gaming platform except an xbox, which I highly doubt was the case. Reviewers don't give reviews based on comparing games on the same system. What the fuck is wrong with you?! If that were true, every Sega CD game would have gotten a 10, since there weren't a ton of games released for it. Please stop wasting my time with stupid ideas.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #29
Hitch-Hiker

So why is it Halo for the PC isen't that successful compared to other FPS?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #30
Banned User

Read the reviews and find out. Has more to do with the controls than anything else.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 PM   #31
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Read the reviews and find out. Has more to do with the controls than anything else.
Please... It got a pretty good score of 9.0 on the PC yet it didn't sell well because it was crappy compared to the other shooters on the PC.

Last edited by Dasilva; 08-06-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #32
Banned User

Oh yes, becasue highly rated games that don't sell well always suck.

Beyond Good and Evil? Sucked.

Longest Journey? Sucked.

Pyschonauts? Sucked.

Yeah you're right.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:45 PM   #33
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Oh, cut it out. Whether you like it or not, there are people like us, who are real gamers, who have valid tastes, who do not like Halo at all. It's not due to a bias against MS, and it's not because of sales. We just didn't like the game. Deal with it.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #34
Banned User

Don't tell me to cut it out. I have every right to argue your points as you have to make them. Deal with that.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #35

It's not because a game is overrated that it's also bad. Halo was fun to play with two, Half-Life was a pretty good FPS and I'm not even sure what BGaE is doing in this list.

Games that I think are overrated (or overhyped)

Killzone
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Tony Hawk series
Gabriel Knight 3 (oh God, that game sucks)
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #36
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Don't be an idiot- arguing your point is one thing, but you keep throwing inane insult after insult, littered with irritating sarcasm:
Quote:
Why? Because it wasn't suitable for preschoolers?
Quote:
you guys just aren't real gamers, rather casual gamers who play more online chess or checkers than real games.
Quote:
What the fuck is wrong with you?! ... Please stop wasting my time with stupid ideas.
There is such a thing as civilized debate, and then there's such a thing as flinging turds. Please figure out the difference between them. Now if you'd like to defend the merits of the game itself, rather than hide under the majority opinion or the critics' opinions or sales or bad sarcasm, I'd love to join in.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #37
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Oh yes, becasue highly rated games that don't sell well always suck.

Beyond Good and Evil? Sucked.

Longest Journey? Sucked.

Pyschonauts? Sucked.

Yeah you're right.
I thought we were talking about Halo and FPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Don't be an idiot- arguing your point is one thing, but you keep throwing inane insult after insult, littered with irritating sarcasm:

There is such a thing as civilized debate, and then there's such a thing as flinging turds. Please figure out the difference between them. Now if you'd like to defend the merits of the game itself, rather than hide under the majority opinion or the critics' opinions or sales or bad sarcasm, I'd love to join in.
Thank you.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #38
Banned User

This is civilized debate. It's not like I can punch you in the face or anything.

Kidding of course.

Anyway, FINE! Don't like Halo! See if I care!
Old 08-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #39
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Actually, I forgot to say that I think that the entire Final Fantasy series from VII onwards (at least from what I've played of them) is overrated. I weep every year when Final Fantasy fanboys manage to get their character to come out top in whatever big poll GameFAQs runs...

Old 08-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #40

Either way, there's no way to prove it was overrated, just like there's no way to prove it isn't. People like different things, and there's no such thing as blasphemy in gaming. This isn't goddamn religion, people.