You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Nintendo E3 Conference

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 12:13 AM   #61
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
a small gripe but im kinda annoyed that they are having the wire for the wii gamepad come out of the bottom, it feels kinda awkward with the wire slightly weighng down the bottom instead of the top but I guess youll get used to it eventualy
I'm pretty disappointed in the whole gamepad- it looks like it'd be a nightmare to play N64 games like Zelda on it.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #62
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I'm pretty disappointed in the whole gamepad- it looks like it'd be a nightmare to play N64 games like Zelda on it.
No it will not. I played Ocarina of Time using a dual shock and it was quite easy. C buttons were mapped on the right analog stick, it is just a matter of getting used to.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 AM   #63
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
No it will not. I played Ocarina of Time using a dual shock and it was quite easy. C buttons were mapped on the right analog stick, it is just a matter of getting used to.
Uh huh. I don't believe you for the simple reason that I have the Gamecube port, where the C-buttons are mapped to the right analog stick, and it's awful. I mean, sure, it can be played, but it feels ridiculous. Not to mention playing the ocarina is really awkward.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:06 AM   #64
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

actualy I had no trouble with the C analouge since it wasnt a normal analouge, it had little notches where each button was
Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 AM   #65

I believe it's mentioned in IGN's feature on Smash Bros. that the Wii will have a port for the Gamecube controller, so one can use that if the Wii controller set up proves too awkward.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:23 AM   #66
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't have a PS2, and I've never even heard of "BioShock", so I don't know- you could be right. What I mean is exploration in the Myst/Metroid mold, with excellent world design.
Well you should look into it then. It's from the creators of the System Shock games. Basically your character is exploring an underwater utopia-turned-chaos trying to figure out what happened and get out of there. Ken Levine the project leader has always been emphasizing that it's very open-ended gameplay, from how you build your character with plasmids throughout to what you want to do in the world. He's also been touting the moral issues involved, killing what are sort-of humans for plasmids and then there are these little girls that you can get the good stuff off of, but you'd have to kill their guardian too. It seems very cool.

A lot of stuff has already been posted in this thread

I can't believe you haven't heard of it at all, around here at least, and it's been all over the place last few days with new E3 impressions and stuff. But it's going to be PC and 360.

Anyways, my point was that you shouldn't fret if all you're worried about is the death of exploration, as clearly some developers are still with you (even if you don't have the console they make games for). Exploration isn't dead yet, and Ken Levine thinks exploration is where the next-gen is.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:40 AM   #67
Burning

Wii is getting mixed reactions, especially Red Steel's controls are coming under fire, this comment from IGN's preview is really disappointing:

Quote:
The idea for Wii FPS games is to eliminate the need for dual analog sticks, but Red Steel isn't solving any problems, as analog control is being mapped directly to the Wii-mote. Since the sensor bar is placed above or below the television, players point at the bar itself, not at the screen. For this reason, the game doesn't allow pinpoint accuracy with the Wii-mote, as players have to steer a cursor rather than aiming at a point on-screen, which is a far more natural approach. ...we played this demo over and over with multiple set-ups, and each time we had the same conclusion: Red Steer is harder to control than dual analog or a PC mouse.
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707908p1.html
Old 05-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #68
Bad command or file name

It's an interesting article. It is more of a take on how Red Steel plays with the controller rather than a review of the controller itself. They specify in a few places that they are blaming the software and not the hardware for Red Steel's beta shortfalls. They have quite a bit of time to tweak the game before release but it's more than likely that Red Steel will wind up more of a stepping stone while developers perfect gameplay using the Wii controller rather than a definitive example of all the uses of the control system. I have a fealing Red Steel will only get mediocre reviews but all developers will learn from their mistakes as they perfect the controls for later Wii FPSs.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #69
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Since the sensor bar is placed above or below the television, players point at the bar itself, not at the screen. For this reason, the game doesn't allow pinpoint accuracy with the Wii-mote, as players have to steer a cursor rather than aiming at a point on-screen, which is a far more natural approach.
Doesn't sound good. That practically brings it closer to Sony's implementation (though it's still not the same thing).
Old 05-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #70
Bad command or file name

Does anyone know if the sensor needs a direct line of site to the remote? I wonder if you can just place it behind your TV.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:10 AM   #71
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bysmitty
Does anyone know if the sensor needs a direct line of site to the remote? I wonder if you can just place it behind your TV.

...bysmitty
I think it does. A Gamespot reporter yesterday was talking about the Zelda demo
on the wii, and he said the controller was not responsive at all. He noticed that the sensor bar was placed at the bottom of the television set.

Firefox rules
Old 05-12-2006, 09:14 AM   #72
gin soaked boy

It uses Bluetooth for communication, does Bluetooth need a direct line of sight? I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

EDIT: Maybe not, Bluetooth is used for controller-console communication, don't know anything about how controller-sensor communication works.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #73
is not wierd

Ouch. I somehow suspected there would be problems like this. I hope Nintendo works out the kinks to make it workable. Or else just release games that don't require the motion sensor.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:24 AM   #74
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
Ouch. I somehow suspected there would be problems like this. I hope Nintendo works out the kinks to make it workable. Or else just release games that don't require the motion sensor.
Um, no, that would just make the whole concept of Wii totally worthless. They'll probably tune it up. Maybe it just wasn't properly calibrated or something, it's strange that none of the developers would notice such problems.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #75
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

I doubt Bluetooth has enough bandwidth for something like this.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #76
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Um, no, that would just make the whole concept of Wii totally worthless. They'll probably tune it up. Maybe it just wasn't properly calibrated or something, it's strange that none of the developers would notice such problems.
Well all I know is that either it better be working perfectly by launch or they better have somethign else to fall back on. They've invested so much into the controller, if it turns out it's not even fun to use, then what's the point of buying the machine if all the games will require the motion sensing? It's probably already hard enough to convince the average gamer to buy into this new thing in the first place.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #77
A Servicable Villain

What, are you serious? From what I've hear and seen botho n E3 and around me, every gamer I know is very enthusiastic about trying out the Wii. It's like a virus.

That said, I think Nintendo will do everything that's necessary to make it work. Everything depends on it. Of course they could go for regular controls as back-up, but that would mean the Wii was a 100% failure and innovation in the industry will be dealt a near-fatal blow. They won't allow that to happen.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #78
is not wierd

I have no idea how most gamers are reacting to the Wii. But apparently, according to a few hands-on articles from GameSpot and IGN it's not incredibly easy to use. Granted, they are having to get used to it in the middle of E3, and there are still months before the thing's released. But apparently the technology isn't as intuitive as it should be because it's just a sensor above or below the screen and thus it's not simply a matter of pointing the mote to the point on the screen you want to be aiming for. I assume it's something that's just a matter of getting used to, if Nintendo wasn't planning on fixing whatever the issue might be. But I was just saying that if the cotroller is faulty or not as fun as everyone thought i might be, then Nintendo ought to have a back-up plan (such as games that won't be motion sensing) if they want people to buy it at all. Investing so much into this controller (that's already a risky move in and of itself as far as fun-factor goes) and not getting it to work absolutely perfectly by launch would be, I think, a terrible move for Nintendo. Here's hoping for the best though--I've always loved Nintendo as a company.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:40 AM   #79
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Quote:
Since the sensor bar is placed above or below the television, players point at the bar itself, not at the screen. For this reason, the game doesn't allow pinpoint accuracy with the Wii-mote, as players have to steer a cursor rather than aiming at a point on-screen, which is a far more natural approach.
Doesn't sound good. That practically brings it closer to Sony's implementation (though it's still not the same thing).
Yes, this definitely doesn't sound good, for example I was under the assumption that you can more or less point towards the screen to aim but if it is not the case then it is not that intuitive. This seems to be the problem of the hardware, so I am not sure if it can be rectified without a design change or introducing more sensors.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:06 AM   #80
gin soaked boy

Or maybe they are just wrong, I've also read many highly positive hands-on briefings. Everybody needs to calm down, let's wait and see.