Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - Page 2 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #21
merely human
 
Intrepid Homoludens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 22,309
Default

I just have a regular t.v., and Splinter Cell: CT looks incredible as is on it . Or maybe I'm actually not the graphics slut bigdope originally thought I was.
__________________
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Intrepid Homoludens is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #22
OUATIJ Creator
 
Once A Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,640
Default

Well, Chaos Theory is probably the best looking XBox game out there...it would look pretty damn good on anything. Heh. Also, the difference between 480p and 480i is more noticable on big screens (I'm not sure what size TV you play on, but that could be a factor). As for the 16 : 9 ratio, it's generally considered more cinematic and more appealing visually. It's not a necessity by any means, but once you get into all this stuff, you can't go back...graphics whore or not.
__________________
Ben
Co-Founder Abborado Studios
Lead Designer - Once Upon a Time in Japan: Earth
Once A Villain is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Well, Chaos Theory is probably the best looking XBox game out there...it would look pretty damn good on anything. Heh. Also, the difference between 480p and 480i is more noticable on big screens (I'm not sure what size TV you play on, but that could be a factor). As for the 16 : 9 ratio, it's generally considered more cinematic and more appealing visually. It's not a necessity by any means, but once you get into all this stuff, you can't go back...graphics whore or not.

It's not about 16 : 9's look so much as it fits the shape of my widescreen TV without distorting the image. I don't like stretching the image to fill the screen, and I don't like playing in 4:3 aspect ratio with gray bars on the sides. That's my only problem, really.

I have a 65" HDTV in my living room, but I'm thinking of playing Call of Cthulhu on my 120" screen in my den, which is also 16 : 9 (though in the den I don't think I'll mind the gray bars as I won't risk burn in or anything since I'll be playing through a DLP projector). The den setup has 5.1 surround sound, where my living room doesn't, along with an external scaler that upconverts everything to 720p.
neovsmatrix is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #24
Super Moderator
 
Melanie68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
It's not about 16 : 9's look so much as it fits the shape of my widescreen TV without distorting the image. I don't like stretching the image to fill the screen, and I don't like playing in 4:3 aspect ratio with gray bars on the sides. That's my only problem, really.

I have a 65" HDTV in my living room, but I'm thinking of playing Call of Cthulhu on my 120" screen in my den, which is also 16 : 9 (though in the den I don't think I'll mind the gray bars as I won't risk burn in or anything since I'll be playing through a DLP projector). The den setup has 5.1 surround sound, where my living room doesn't, along with an external scaler that upconverts everything to 720p.
I'm coming over to your house. I'll bring my favorite movies.
Melanie68 is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 PM   #25
Psychonaut
 
Lucien21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 5,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
I have a 65" HDTV in my living room, but I'm thinking of playing Call of Cthulhu on my 120" screen in my den, which is also 16 : 9 (though in the den I don't think I'll mind the gray bars as I won't risk burn in or anything since I'll be playing through a DLP projector). The den setup has 5.1 surround sound, where my living room doesn't, along with an external scaler that upconverts everything to 720p.
*Shocked*

*Jealous*

*Idea*

Movie party at your house. I'll bring the popcorn.
__________________
I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!
Lucien21 is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:01 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 92
Default

Call of Cthulhu will have a slow burn imo. Destined to become a classic of the horror genre.
honeycomb is offline  
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
El Luchador
 
bigjko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,629
Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Or maybe I'm actually not the graphics slut bigdope originally thought I was.
And I love you!
__________________
Use Verb On Noun - Adventure game inspired illustrations
bigjko is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM   #28
OUATIJ Creator
 
Once A Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
It's not about 16 : 9's look so much as it fits the shape of my widescreen TV without distorting the image. I don't like stretching the image to fill the screen, and I don't like playing in 4:3 aspect ratio with gray bars on the sides. That's my only problem, really.

I have a 65" HDTV in my living room, but I'm thinking of playing Call of Cthulhu on my 120" screen in my den, which is also 16 : 9 (though in the den I don't think I'll mind the gray bars as I won't risk burn in or anything since I'll be playing through a DLP projector). The den setup has 5.1 surround sound, where my living room doesn't, along with an external scaler that upconverts everything to 720p.
Mine's 123". What projector and screen are you using? You and I should continue to inform people about the greatness of projectors and screens. It's cheaper than a really nice HDTV, it looks just as good (arguably better for sports), and it's a lot bigger!

EDIT: By the way, DLP projectors usually have a Smart Stretch function. It creates a 16 : 9 image from a 4:3 image WITHOUT screwing everything over proportionately. Works very well.
__________________
Ben
Co-Founder Abborado Studios
Lead Designer - Once Upon a Time in Japan: Earth

Last edited by Once A Villain; 10-31-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Once A Villain is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Mine's 123". What projector and screen are you using? You and I should continue to inform people about the greatness of projectors and screens. It's cheaper than a really nice HDTV, it looks just as good (arguably better for sports), and it's a lot bigger!

EDIT: By the way, DLP projectors usually have a Smart Stretch function. It creates a 16 : 9 image from a 4:3 image WITHOUT screwing everything over proportionately. Works very well.

Sharp XVZ-10000. I love watching movies on that screen. It's a lot more fun than watching on a 65" screen, but I prefer to watch most of my content on the 65" screen, so I can still have that feeling of awe to some extent when I go down into the den and watch a movie like Lord of the Rings or something. The worst thing that can happen is for me to become "used" to having such an awesome setup, IMHO.

Especially since my screen pretty much fills up the entire wall. It just can't get any bigger or else I won't have any room for the front satellite speakers to be set up unless they were behind the screen somehow.

I'll definitely check out the smart stretch function though.

I agree that as the desirable screen size gets better, buying a projector and screen becomes a better value. And you avoid burn-in which is associated with CRT and plasma technologies.
neovsmatrix is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #30
The Threadô will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

One day, when I'm not a student, I might consider getting a large screen. But 123"?
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Threadô

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #31
Epinionated.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 5,841
Default

My dick is really huge.



I'm so sorry, I really couldn't resist.
__________________
Starter of Thread Must Die.
squarejawhero is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #32
The Threadô will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
My dick is really huge.



I'm so sorry, I really couldn't resist.
I was resisting the urge to make the "my one is bigger than yours" jokes. You know that post about how every thread gets turned into a sex thread, squaresie?...
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Threadô

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #33
Epinionated.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 5,841
Default

Don't look at me!

I'm just enjoying my new, free-talking single status.
__________________
Starter of Thread Must Die.
squarejawhero is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 PM   #34
Super Moderator
 
Dale Baldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Southampton, UK
Posts: 3,139
Default



Don't make me get my chit-chat hat out of the cupboard.
__________________
Now Playing: Catherine, Sword and Sworcery:EP
Recently Completed: The Witcher
Dale Baldwin is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #35
The Solomon of Sarcasm
 
NemelChelovek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
No?

That doesn't work.

*screams in terror*
That's Discworld 1, my friend. Simon had some varied refusals.
__________________
Before you ask, "Nemel Chelovek" is from a Russian fairy tale about a dragon, his uncle, a princess, and a heroic pageboy. Nemel is the uncle in question.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
NemelChelovek is offline  
Old 10-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #36
OUATIJ Creator
 
Once A Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
Sharp XVZ-10000. I love watching movies on that screen. It's a lot more fun than watching on a 65" screen, but I prefer to watch most of my content on the 65" screen, so I can still have that feeling of awe to some extent when I go down into the den and watch a movie like Lord of the Rings or something. The worst thing that can happen is for me to become "used" to having such an awesome setup, IMHO.

Especially since my screen pretty much fills up the entire wall. It just can't get any bigger or else I won't have any room for the front satellite speakers to be set up unless they were behind the screen somehow.

I'll definitely check out the smart stretch function though.

I agree that as the desirable screen size gets better, buying a projector and screen becomes a better value. And you avoid burn-in which is associated with CRT and plasma technologies.
Sweet! Same projector here. My screen is a Stewart Ultramatte 150. We have pretty much the same setup so I understand where you are coming from. Now I can tell you for sure that the Smart Stretch function on that SPECIFIC projector is very nice.

Also, for me it works similar to what you do... I watch the vast majority of TV material on my regular TV, and I watch high def sports and DVD movies in my theater room.
__________________
Ben
Co-Founder Abborado Studios
Lead Designer - Once Upon a Time in Japan: Earth
Once A Villain is offline  
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #37
After 2 years...
 
pleto4_ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Greece
Posts: 520
Default

*confused

So what, is it actually coming aout on PC?

*gets himself tied to the chair, so as not to get the Xbox version...yet*
__________________
Interactive storytelling!
When dreams are lost
and nightmares come to life
you are in a
Dreamfall
pleto4_ryan is offline  
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Sweet! Same projector here. My screen is a Stewart Ultramatte 150. We have pretty much the same setup so I understand where you are coming from. Now I can tell you for sure that the Smart Stretch function on that SPECIFIC projector is very nice.

Also, for me it works similar to what you do... I watch the vast majority of TV material on my regular TV, and I watch high def sports and DVD movies in my theater room.

Awesome. I have a Runco PFP-11 scaler hooked up that upconverts everything to 720p, so it'll be interesting to see how Call of Cthulhu looks on that.


By the way, Call of Cthulhu MIGHT come out on the PC. It's not definite as far as I can see. PS2 version is definitely cancelled though.

Also, Gamespot reviewed Call of Cthulhu and gave it an 8.3.
neovsmatrix is offline  
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #39
OUATIJ Creator
 
Once A Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
Awesome. I have a Runco PFP-11 scaler hooked up that upconverts everything to 720p, so it'll be interesting to see how Call of Cthulhu looks on that.
I don't upscale games to 720p (just 480p, which the Z10000 can do with its own internal scaler), but all of my DVDs are upscaled to 720p by my DVD player. I use a DVI connection between the DVD player and the projector so there is zero conversion to analog along the way (the result is a better picture than even component cables provide). Pure digital for me, heh. I love it, but then again...I'm a movie maniac, moreso than a game maniac.
__________________
Ben
Co-Founder Abborado Studios
Lead Designer - Once Upon a Time in Japan: Earth
Once A Villain is offline  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #40
The Threadô will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
*confused

So what, is it actually coming aout on PC?

*gets himself tied to the chair, so as not to get the Xbox version...yet*

It would appear that it is.
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Threadô

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.