You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2005, 03:16 PM   #21
merely human

I just have a regular t.v., and Splinter Cell: CT looks incredible as is on it . Or maybe I'm actually not the graphics slut bigdope originally thought I was.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #22
OUATIJ Creator

Well, Chaos Theory is probably the best looking XBox game out there...it would look pretty damn good on anything. Heh. Also, the difference between 480p and 480i is more noticable on big screens (I'm not sure what size TV you play on, but that could be a factor). As for the 16 : 9 ratio, it's generally considered more cinematic and more appealing visually. It's not a necessity by any means, but once you get into all this stuff, you can't go back...graphics whore or not.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
Well, Chaos Theory is probably the best looking XBox game out there...it would look pretty damn good on anything. Heh. Also, the difference between 480p and 480i is more noticable on big screens (I'm not sure what size TV you play on, but that could be a factor). As for the 16 : 9 ratio, it's generally considered more cinematic and more appealing visually. It's not a necessity by any means, but once you get into all this stuff, you can't go back...graphics whore or not.

It's not about 16 : 9's look so much as it fits the shape of my widescreen TV without distorting the image. I don't like stretching the image to fill the screen, and I don't like playing in 4:3 aspect ratio with gray bars on the sides. That's my only problem, really.

I have a 65" HDTV in my living room, but I'm thinking of playing Call of Cthulhu on my 120" screen in my den, which is also 16 : 9 (though in the den I don't think I'll mind the gray bars as I won't risk burn in or anything since I'll be playing through a DLP projector). The den setup has 5.1 surround sound, where my living room doesn't, along with an external scaler that upconverts everything to 720p.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
It's not about 16 : 9's look so much as it fits the shape of my widescreen TV without distorting the image. I don't like stretching the image to fill the screen, and I don't like playing in 4:3 aspect ratio with gray bars on the sides. That's my only problem, really.

I have a 65" HDTV in my living room, but I'm thinking of playing Call of Cthulhu on my 120" screen in my den, which is also 16 : 9 (though in the den I don't think I'll mind the gray bars as I won't risk burn in or anything since I'll be playing through a DLP projector). The den setup has 5.1 surround sound, where my living room doesn't, along with an external scaler that upconverts everything to 720p.
I'm coming over to your house. I'll bring my favorite movies.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:28 PM   #25
Psychonaut

Quote:
*Shocked*

*Jealous*

*Idea*

Movie party at your house. I'll bring the popcorn.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:01 PM   #26

Call of Cthulhu will have a slow burn imo. Destined to become a classic of the horror genre.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:49 PM   #27
El Luchador

Send a message via ICQ to bigjko Send a message via MSN to bigjko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Or maybe I'm actually not the graphics slut bigdope originally thought I was.
And I love you!
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM   #28
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:

Mine's 123". What projector and screen are you using? You and I should continue to inform people about the greatness of projectors and screens. It's cheaper than a really nice HDTV, it looks just as good (arguably better for sports), and it's a lot bigger!

EDIT: By the way, DLP projectors usually have a Smart Stretch function. It creates a 16 : 9 image from a 4:3 image WITHOUT screwing everything over proportionately. Works very well.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 10-31-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:15 PM   #29

Quote:
Mine's 123". What projector and screen are you using? You and I should continue to inform people about the greatness of projectors and screens. It's cheaper than a really nice HDTV, it looks just as good (arguably better for sports), and it's a lot bigger!

EDIT: By the way, DLP projectors usually have a Smart Stretch function. It creates a 16 : 9 image from a 4:3 image WITHOUT screwing everything over proportionately. Works very well.

Sharp XVZ-10000. I love watching movies on that screen. It's a lot more fun than watching on a 65" screen, but I prefer to watch most of my content on the 65" screen, so I can still have that feeling of awe to some extent when I go down into the den and watch a movie like Lord of the Rings or something. The worst thing that can happen is for me to become "used" to having such an awesome setup, IMHO.

Especially since my screen pretty much fills up the entire wall. It just can't get any bigger or else I won't have any room for the front satellite speakers to be set up unless they were behind the screen somehow.

I'll definitely check out the smart stretch function though.

I agree that as the desirable screen size gets better, buying a projector and screen becomes a better value. And you avoid burn-in which is associated with CRT and plasma technologies.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #30
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

One day, when I'm not a student, I might consider getting a large screen. But 123"?

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #31
Epinionated.

My dick is really huge.

I'm so sorry, I really couldn't resist.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #32
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
My dick is really huge.

I'm so sorry, I really couldn't resist.
I was resisting the urge to make the "my one is bigger than yours" jokes. You know that post about how every thread gets turned into a sex thread, squaresie?...

Old 10-31-2005, 02:39 PM   #33
Epinionated.

Don't look at me!

I'm just enjoying my new, free-talking single status.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:42 PM   #34
Super Moderator

Don't make me get my chit-chat hat out of the cupboard.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:45 PM   #35
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
No?

That doesn't work.

*screams in terror*
That's Discworld 1, my friend. Simon had some varied refusals.

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 10-31-2005, 05:02 PM   #36
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Sharp XVZ-10000. I love watching movies on that screen. It's a lot more fun than watching on a 65" screen, but I prefer to watch most of my content on the 65" screen, so I can still have that feeling of awe to some extent when I go down into the den and watch a movie like Lord of the Rings or something. The worst thing that can happen is for me to become "used" to having such an awesome setup, IMHO.

Especially since my screen pretty much fills up the entire wall. It just can't get any bigger or else I won't have any room for the front satellite speakers to be set up unless they were behind the screen somehow.

I'll definitely check out the smart stretch function though.

I agree that as the desirable screen size gets better, buying a projector and screen becomes a better value. And you avoid burn-in which is associated with CRT and plasma technologies.
Sweet! Same projector here. My screen is a Stewart Ultramatte 150. We have pretty much the same setup so I understand where you are coming from. Now I can tell you for sure that the Smart Stretch function on that SPECIFIC projector is very nice.

Also, for me it works similar to what you do... I watch the vast majority of TV material on my regular TV, and I watch high def sports and DVD movies in my theater room.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #37
After 2 years...

*confused

So what, is it actually coming aout on PC?

*gets himself tied to the chair, so as not to get the Xbox version...yet*
you are in a
Dreamfall
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Sweet! Same projector here. My screen is a Stewart Ultramatte 150. We have pretty much the same setup so I understand where you are coming from. Now I can tell you for sure that the Smart Stretch function on that SPECIFIC projector is very nice.

Also, for me it works similar to what you do... I watch the vast majority of TV material on my regular TV, and I watch high def sports and DVD movies in my theater room.

Awesome. I have a Runco PFP-11 scaler hooked up that upconverts everything to 720p, so it'll be interesting to see how Call of Cthulhu looks on that.

By the way, Call of Cthulhu MIGHT come out on the PC. It's not definite as far as I can see. PS2 version is definitely cancelled though.

Also, Gamespot reviewed Call of Cthulhu and gave it an 8.3.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #39
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Awesome. I have a Runco PFP-11 scaler hooked up that upconverts everything to 720p, so it'll be interesting to see how Call of Cthulhu looks on that.
I don't upscale games to 720p (just 480p, which the Z10000 can do with its own internal scaler), but all of my DVDs are upscaled to 720p by my DVD player. I use a DVI connection between the DVD player and the projector so there is zero conversion to analog along the way (the result is a better picture than even component cables provide). Pure digital for me, heh. I love it, but then again...I'm a movie maniac, moreso than a game maniac.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:08 PM   #40
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleto4_ryan
*confused

So what, is it actually coming aout on PC?

*gets himself tied to the chair, so as not to get the Xbox version...yet*

It would appear that it is.