Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   General (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/)
-   -   Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/general/11498-call-cthulhu-dark-corners-earth.html)

Junkface 10-26-2005 07:36 PM

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

So, apparentally it's been released on Xbox with zero fanfare and murky chances of a PC release. If anyone's got it, it'd be good to hear what they think of it, seeing as I got my, you know, last PC so I could play it upon its then imminent release. I heard that they'd copped out and added a HUD, but from that thread it seems like it might still be worth playing afterall.

Once A Villain 10-26-2005 08:09 PM

Another very positive review.

squarejawhero 10-26-2005 11:14 PM

Yeah, really positive. If it came out on PC I'd consider buying it, crumbly visuals or no.

bigjko 10-27-2005 04:58 AM

Wow. It's something I've actually been waiting for, for so damn long, and now it's out for a system I don't even have.

I'm utterly speechless.

samIamsad 10-27-2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkface
So, apparentally it's been released on Xbox with zero fanfare and murky chances of a PC release.

WTF? They started developing this game for PC only in, like what? 1998? I was waiting for ages.... NOOO! :\

edit: Here's a post I just found on the Cthulhu forums:

Quote:

I can't really answer any specifics on the PC version at the moment. Best I can recommend is keep checking these forums. We'll definitely make an announcement here when we get more info.

--------------------

Michael Wagner
Bitmap High Priest
Bethesda Softworks

Let's keep our fingers crossed. That's just too much. :(

SoccerDude28 10-27-2005 09:05 AM

Another case of how PC gamers are treated like second class citizens, and how a PC game not only moved to a console, but on its way it got delayed and might not even show up on the PC. Rainbow Six Lockdown anybody???? It really sucks to be a PC gamer these days. :(

samIamsad 10-27-2005 09:19 AM

Goddamnit! I'm still not over it. I'm all fire! Like the excorcist, but more breakdancing. On the other hand, in some five years we could probably play it on an emulator. Still: ANGER! :devil:

RLacey 10-27-2005 09:23 AM

Woah, woah, wait up a second. This game is good?!

I was so not expecting that. Seriously. The game's been delayed for years, no longer looks visually impressive and is by the team that screwed up big time with Simon the Sorcerer 3D.

But, yeah, we need a PC version, dammit (particularly if it's getting positive reviews)!

SakSquash 10-27-2005 09:29 AM

What the hell are you guys talking about? It says "This is out in stores NOW on XBox in the US. It will be released on the PC on March 6th, 2006." Just hang in there!

samIamsad 10-27-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
Woah, woah, wait up a second. This game is good?!

I was so not expecting that. Seriously. The game's been delayed for years, no longer looks visually impressive and is by the team that screwed up big time with Simon the Sorcerer 3D.

I was a little bit worried about that, too. But there were two things that kept my excited:

a) It's a game based on Lovecraft's works
b) The Woodroffe's at Headfirst made some of the finest Horror games of the early 90s.

Once A Villain 10-28-2005 04:07 PM

Bought this today. AWESOME thus far, but...I'm not very far. Half an hour in.

Once A Villain 10-30-2005 05:01 AM

Wanted to update everyone. At 5 hours in, this game is still totally bad ass in my opinion. You don't get a weapon until about 4 hours in (good for more exploration/adventure types), and the atmosphere is KILLER.

Trep (aka Mr. XBox), you need to get this! It seems right up your alley!

samIamsad 10-30-2005 07:54 AM

*cries*

bigjko 10-30-2005 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain

I'm actually surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread already. I remember him waiting for this game.

Then again, maybe the graphics aren't fancy enough. ;) :kiss:

Aurebesh 10-30-2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samIamsad
b) The Woodroffe's at Headfirst made some of the finest Horror games of the early 90s.

Simon the Sorcerer is a little scarry, but I wouldn't call it horror :P

samIamsad 10-30-2005 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurebesh
Simon the Sorcerer is a little scarry, but I wouldn't call it horror :P

No?

That doesn't work.

*screams in terror* :D

Intrepid Homoludens 10-30-2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstud
Quote:

Originally Posted by Once A Villain

I'm actually surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread already. I remember him waiting for this game.

I can't get it right now. My PC is kinda screwed up and I'm bent on getting a new laptop in a few weeks. What's the straight dope on the Xbox version?

What's the system reqs, anyway? Maybe I can do this on the laptop.

Quote:

Then again, maybe the graphics aren't fancy enough. ;) :kiss:
bigstud

There's some fancy graphics for you, beeyatch!

EDIT: Oh. It's selling for $40 for Xbox? Hmm.....

neovsmatrix 10-30-2005 02:59 PM

Xbox only. I wouldn't hold my breath for a PC version. They really should have advertised the game's release, it just went completely under the radar. I didn't even know it was out until I saw this thread. I just got it today, but I haven't played it yet.

By the way, it's not 480p or widescreen enabled from what I've read, which is a shame. I hate playing 4:3 aspect ratio games on my widescreen HDTV.

Intrepid Homoludens 10-30-2005 03:15 PM

Maybe they need another 6 months or so to optimize the PC version so it looks good and then they'll make a big stink for that release? I dunno, though, sounds kinda stupid to me to just slip it out on Xbox and never even toss out a press release or anything. EB Games is pimping a PS2 version, too, but it's not out. Weird.

Once A Villain 10-30-2005 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neovsmatrix
By the way, it's not 480p or widescreen enabled from what I've read, which is a shame. I hate playing 4:3 aspect ratio games on my widescreen HDTV.

I hear you... Still, your HDTV should have the next best thing. Does it have any kind of internal line doubler or "Smart Stretch" function? With my projector, if games aren't in 480p, it can upscale on its own. Also, Smart Stretch gives you the 16 : 9 aspect ratio, while not causing everything to look disproportional. Call of Cthulhu looks quite good for an XBox game I think...

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot... Another plus for the XBox version is, believe it or not, the great controller vibration support. In most games I couldn't care less, but in Call of Cthulhu they do a really good job combining the onscreen mental effects and imagery with the vibrations you feel in your hands. It really enhances the experience.