You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Psychonauts in EU?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 08:01 AM   #41
A Servicable Villain

Alright! One of the Benelux's most respected PC-magazines, PcGameplay, has made Psychonauts their game of the month, gave it a 9.1 and showered three pages of non-stop jubilant praise on the game. Combined with my letter to them that was published a month earlier, in which I too praised Psychonauts and asked what their opinion was; I'd say Pnauts got a pretty good reception from the established Dutch press!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:17 AM   #42
Super Moderator

Whether it gets the sales it rightfully deserves is another matter though.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
Combined with my letter to them that was published a month earlier, in which I too praised Psychonauts and asked what their opinion was; I'd say Pnauts got a pretty good reception from the established Dutch press!
Oh, you were that guy? I read your letter. Nice to meet you!

As a matter of fact, I only opened this topic to post that PC Gameplay rated the game 91% and made it game of the month.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #44
A Servicable Villain

Well, I had to spread the good Psychonauts-word, didn't I?

The only thing that would have made me even happier was if they had put Pnauts on the cover. I guess Kong was a reasonable choice, but all those generic World War shooters they usually have really show a lack of taste, blecch.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #45
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordic_guy
Hmm... Play now has the date for all platforms set as 04/02/06. The only online retailer in Norway that actually has the game listed, has the PS2 release date set as 03/02/05 while the PC and XBOX versions are scheduled for next week.

It's on the top of my wishlist, too. But I doubt anyone in my family will be able to get a hold of it. It's certainly impossible to figure out when it's released.
Now all the stores I've checked have updated the release date to february next year. It's now safe to say that neither of us will be playing Psychonauts this year. I wonder exactly what is taking so long.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #46

Februrary is only two months away, but it feel so damn long!

The dubbing process ( ) can't possibly be taking this long, and the game has been certified gold almost 9 months ago. I can't see what the problem could be.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 AM   #47
Evil Webmaster

Yahoo, just got my USA minibox copy from CDWow!
So there you go
Old 12-20-2005, 03:38 AM   #48
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMaster
Yahoo, just got my USA minibox copy from CDWow!
mini box?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:44 AM   #49
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
mini box?
The American game boxes, which are the same dimensions as a DVD case but thicker, made of cardboard and subject to turning into a tattered mess within about five seconds of you opening them.

I have Psychonauts in one. But if I didn't already have it I'd be waiting for the UK release and getting a nice DVD version of the game (both box and media).

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:32 AM   #50
Psychonaut

Psychonauts has already been nominated on Gamepost as "Game of the Year that nobody played"

Game buyers as a mass are idiots.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #51
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

PC Gamer has reviewed it again this month (it seems they expected it to be out by now ), and put the demo on their disc again. I live in hope that some Brits might actually buy the thing...

Old 12-20-2005, 08:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
PC Gamer has reviewed it again this month (it seems they expected it to be out by now ), and put the demo on their disc again. I live in hope that some Brits might actually buy the thing...
This whole release thing has screwed this game over.

Even the major newspaper in Norway has reviewed the game twice, and they have also recommended it in a feature for christmas gifts.
By the time Psychonauts is released, people will have forgotten about it, and whatever chances it had to sell are basically gone.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:00 AM   #53
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I have Psychonauts in one. But if I didn't already have it I'd be waiting for the UK release and getting a nice DVD version of the game (both box and media).
Oh let me tell you, nothing beats having 5 cds in 5 separated paper envelopes. And btw, if your dvd gets scratched, you can probably throw the game away; while I have a 1 on 5 chance of still being able to play it

Ok ok, that was stupid.
Just happy to finally have my copy and for having saved more than 60$ for an autographed one. But I'm curious to see how the italian version is gonna turn out, provided it's gonna turn out at all.
So there you go
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #54

After a couple of release date postponements, Psychonauts was released in Germany on the 16th of December. IMO too late to really benefit from pre-christmas sales.

I didn't even see a press release. As far as I'm aware, THQ only mentioned it in a list of upcoming releases they sent out that same day.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 12-21-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:14 PM   #55
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
After a couple of release date postponements, Psychonauts was released in Germany on the 16ths of December. IMO too late to really benefit from pre-christmas sales.

I didn't even see a press release. As far as I'm aware, THQ only mentioned it in a list of upcoming releases they sent out that same day.
Interesting. I'll have to check stores in the UK, seeing as MCV seems to be entirely confused over the status of this game.

I really want to know what's been going on over at THQ. Double Fine have had the European localisations signed off for a good couple of months now, and I really want to know what exercise in company politics has kept this game off the shelves...

Old 12-21-2005, 05:36 PM   #56
Headbanger

This is ridiculous. Soon I'll go over to Germany and buy it.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #57
capsized.

Quote:
After a couple of release date postponements, Psychonauts was released in Germany on the 16th of December. IMO too late to really benefit from pre-christmas sales.

I've seen a full page ad in a music magazine yesterday, though.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Christmas sales are overrated. There's something very suicidal about trying to outdo EA's onslaught of sequels, licenses and sports games around the holidays.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:16 AM   #59

Quote:
Christmas sales are overrated. There's something very suicidal about trying to outdo EA's onslaught of sequels, licenses and sports games around the holidays.
Sure, but a game that has a 12 million dollar development budget (like Psychonauts) must try anyway, because it depends on EA-like sales.

Of course, marketing-wise, EA bulldozes the competition every year. But presence on the shelves is important (and fruitful) nonetheless. Just about every product's run rate will double in the weeks before christmas. I have no clue why THQ didn't release the game a couple of weeks earlier.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 12-25-2005 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #60
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

I'm still suspecting internal politics. It's a shame we can't find out .