You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Feedback Still Life Review

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2005, 06:55 AM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Still Life Review

Laura - very nice review! This game look really good - I enjoyed Post Mortem and I'm looking forward to this one too. I love books about the serial killers, so the topic interests me too, and I felt they handled the filme noir well in Post Mortem, so this one is definitely on my list. Glad you enjoyed it too.

FGM-Lyn
Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to hengst2404 Send a message via Yahoo to hengst2404

Laura, I also have to agree with your review. I rated it very similarly and its niced to know I am not the only one out there who found the game so engaging/compelling. I only wish it had been longer, ala the Longest Journey. Hopefully we will see a sequel.

I do have one question, what specifically about the dialogue do you think strains the credibility of Victoria? Having worked in law enforcement for the past near 7 years, I have seen just about everybody use similar prfaniy when voicing their frustrations. I think their may be more truth in the way she carried herself than many people realize.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Bearly Here

Quote:
Having worked in law enforcement for the past near 7 years, I have seen just about everybody use similar prfaniy when voicing their frustrations. I think their may be more truth in the way she carried herself than many people realize.
I have been involved with people in law enforcement myself - on an advisary capacity etc.

It was that she is an FBI agent. The rules on hair length etc are very much in play. She wouldn't even have gotten away with her outfit, though it looked great. I have three friends who were FBI field agents. One for 10 years with bank robbery, one for the last 4 years in kidnapping/missing persons and another in serial crimes.

You would never have a female FFBI agent go into her superiors office and say
Spoiler:
Usually I get kissed before I get f*****,
heh I am not even sure a urban Sr detective in a standard police deartment would say that to her bosses face and not expect to get written up. Funny line and I don't expect games to follow reality necessarily - suspension of it to a point works great too. In the field - yeah everyone gets looser - but this was with her superior.

Still if she had been a cop - would have been within belief - just NOT in the male dominated, rigid dress code and decorum world of the bureau is all.

It didn't crush the game - it was just something that jarred the mood from time to time. Especially initially - after a while I got used to it as her persona and it didn't have the same effect.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #4

I work in Criminal Investigations now and have done so for the last 3 and a half years. Certainly there are parts of the game which don't seem to jive with the real world, but I was more just reflecting on the fact that her simply being vulgar is not necessarily a disqualifying factor.

"It was that she is an FBI agent. The rules on hair length etc are very much in play. She wouldn't even have gotten away with her outfit, though it looked great. I have three friends who were FBI field agents. One for 10 years with bank robbery, one for the last 4 years in kidnapping/missing persons and another in serial crimes."

Well certainly the whole FBI dress code is anothe story, although in her defense she did just go straight from a date of sorts to her work. Then again she likely could have/should have changed somewhere along the lines.

"You would never have a female FFBI agent go into her superiors office and say
Spoiler:
Usually I get kissed before I get f*****,
heh I am not even sure a urban Sr detective in a standard police deartment would say that to her bosses face and not expect to get written up. Funny line and I don't expect games to follow reality necessarily - suspension of it to a point works great too. In the field - yeah everyone gets looser - but this was with her superior."

Well certainly that part was a bit out there, but then again the parts I don't understand, why did the cop who got sick at the beginning take off his uniform and put on plain clothes? Was he a detective or an SA? The whole office setup is obviously oddd which made me wonder if perhaps she were part of some FBI/Police department task force. The whole bit with her and her boss was defintely more of a drama thing, although trust me as a government employee, you would be surprised with what you can get away with saying to a superior and not get fired. Its very hard to get fired when working for the government.

"Still if she had been a cop - would have been within belief - just NOT in the male dominated, rigid dress code and decorum world of the bureau is all."

"It didn't crush the game - it was just something that jarred the mood from time to time. Especially initially - after a while I got used to it as her persona and it didn't have the same effect.[/QUOTE]"

Overall I do agree with you that it wasn't by any means a detractor from the game or anything, more just something for which a semantical debate or discussion is always worthwhile. But thanks for answering my question, I understand your statements now.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:18 AM   #5
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

It looks like I may crack and get this game, even though I didn't play Post Mortem...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:49 AM   #6

While owning or having played Post Mortem will help you gain a little backstory on Gus Macpherson, there is nothing that indicated you must play it to understand what going on in this game. I enjoyed the first few chapters of still life before I played through Post Mortem and if anything STill life made me understand Post Mortem and its character better. Its definitely worth a buy I think.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Bearly Here

Quote:
but then again the parts I don't understand, why did the cop who got sick at the beginning take off his uniform and put on plain clothes? Was he a detective or an SA?
I am glad you mentioned that part. There were little details here and there that were sort of funny or off.

I thought the same thing. Why was this guy wearing what looked to be a standard police jacket. And why would a beat policeman for the city be hanging out at the offices? It did cross my mind that it was one of those cross-jurisdictional special task groups.

I am forgiving of little off facts or details in games made by non-US developers. They seem to have this euro-disney or movie hyped view of the US and how things are done here. Again it's that pseudo-realistic kind of escapism that I find kind of entertaining in games. So it doesn't bother me - but I do notice it.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #8

Good, you make me feel better. I thought perhaps I was just missing something insdie the game that explained all of this away. i also had the idea that it was likely just a non-American interpretation of the FBI and American criminal justice. But like you said its all about escapism so I didn't really question these things until after I was through the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
I am glad you mentioned that part. There were little details here and there that were sort of funny or off.

I thought the same thing. Why was this guy wearing what looked to be a standard police jacket. And why would a beat policeman for the city be hanging out at the offices? It did cross my mind that it was one of those cross-jurisdictional special task groups.

I am forgiving of little off facts or details in games made by non-US developers. They seem to have this euro-disney or movie hyped view of the US and how things are done here. Again it's that pseudo-realistic kind of escapism that I find kind of entertaining in games. So it doesn't bother me - but I do notice it.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Nice review! I would have scored it the same way. This is a very, very good game.

The points about her outfit and dialogue are reasonable. On the other hand, while it may not have been realistic, it is perfectly in sync with how you might see an FBI agent portrayed in a movie or on TV. That's not always realistic, either.

I haven't played Post Mortem yet but I might after I finish Still Life. There are a few references to it that I didn't quite get but it's not required to enjoy the game, by any means.

One of my favorite things about this game is the art deco architecture. I love Victoria's dad's house... I'd like to live there myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura's review
With Still Life, there are the few inevitable flaws — there always are even in the best of games. But if it isn't an instant classic, it is nipping at the heels of the all-time greats. Regrets? The only downside to this game is that it represents the last creative effort of the Canadian design team that used to be the heart and soul of Microïds. Still, if there had to be a final curtain call, this is what you would like to leave behind. Let the applause continue on after the lights have all been turned out. What a great game.
What a great paragraph.

Last edited by fov; 05-03-2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
Jumping peanut on a stick

Agree, great review Now i'm even more hyped up about this game.. can't way to get it!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:06 PM   #11
Bearly Here

Hey thanks guys.

Quote:
One of my favorite things about this game is the art deco architecture. I love Victoria's dad's house... I'd like to live there myself.
Ohhhh me too. I was looking at that house thinking *sniff* I want that house! whine whine. I wanted to see more rooms and was loving the
Spoiler:
hot tub room - give it to me now mmm
- I love those Wright inspired/deco houses.

All the buildings in Chicago were amazing. well except the one that fell down
Old 05-03-2005, 01:44 PM   #12
Evil Webmaster

Same problems as Syberia here. Mainly very poor puzzles that make you wanna throw the game away (I mean, what the heck were they thinking with that recipe puzzle? Does it make any sense? Or the safe one? Or the keylock?), very stupid inventory puzzles, storyline plagued by futile gaps, so and so characters, completely uninteresting system of conversation (does it actually matter what you're asking?), hints omnipresent when they're not needed at all and missing when they're actually necessary, laughable animations (most of the people back in 20's seem like they're doing a bad interpretation of 'Cats' while talking, must have been some sort of disease), random pathfinding, dull music that sounds like it's been recycled from 'Evidence' (the music in Pat's house sounds really too similar to Daniel's one) or such fabolous Microids gems and so on.
Too bad, the demo actually looked promising. Oh well, you really can't expect much from those guys, at least it's better than Post Mortem and vaguely more tollerable than Syberia.
Like a reviewer said 'you can really enjoy a Microids game: if you sit back and watch it unfold, it's great. Too bad you can't actually play it'.

2/5
So there you go
Old 05-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #13
Bearly Here

Quote:
Like a reviewer said 'you can really enjoy a Microids game: if you sit back and watch it unfold, it's great. Too bad you can't actually play it'.
That's really funny - damn!

I don't agree with them - but boy is that a great line. I always respect a clever turn of a phrase.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
Evil Webmaster

You liked it? Well, I was that reviewer, but shh... don't tell anybody
So there you go
Old 05-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #15

I have to say I'm not one to be tempted by new point & click games usually as I get more than enough of that from catching up on my classics - just finished Monkey Island 1 & 2 - and I like to have some variation in my gaming. Plus ever since I played the demo of Syberia (which just really didn't do anything for me) I haven't even bothered with anything new of the type... but this review has me interested.

So good job!

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 05-03-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:32 PM   #16
Bearly Here

Quote:
You liked it? Well, I was that reviewer, but shh... don't tell anybody
Yes, I still laugh every time I see it on this thread.

We got to laugh at ourselves and even things we like when the remark is well said - even if you disgree with it's sentiment. or it all gets way too serious.

and I'll keep that other bit *nudge nudge* as our little secret. That'll be 10 google cyber bucks please.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:37 PM   #17

Laura, that was a great review you did for Still Life, and it definitely inspires me to buy it. I think I will play Post Mortem again, just so I can meet Gus again.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #18
Bearly Here

Nice to hear that, Zack.

Truth is -- Much appreciation goes out for our Editor's subtle eye and vaued input on any piece I write at this site. He makes us all better writers.

Thanks Jack
Old 05-04-2005, 07:05 AM   #19
Evil Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
and I'll keep that other bit *nudge nudge* as our little secret. That'll be 10 google cyber bucks please.
TEN GOOGLE CYBER...Erm... well... how about a 'Me luvs still life and Laura Mac's review' thread?
So there you go
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #20
Bearly Here

Quote:
TEN GOOGLE CYBER...Erm... well... how about a 'Me luvs still life and Laura Mac's review' thread?
Okay -- cyber bucks are over-rated anyway.