You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther
Default Voyage preview

This sounds like a lot of fun! And it keeps the best parts of RtMI! Wonderful!

This fall is shaping up to be a great season for adv games!

Thanks for the nice preview, Emily!

Lynsie
Old 06-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Thanks FGM. I first saw this game at GDC back in March, so I've had to keep quiet about it for a long time.

Kheops seems intent on listening to players' feedback and incorporating it into their games. That's always a good thing. I know a lot of RtMI fans have been looking for another game like it, and I'm thinking VOYAGE will fit the bill. (Though I'm not really sure why VOYAGE has to be all in caps!)
Old 06-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
merely human

Could be worse: V.O.Y.A.G.E.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-19-2005, 01:37 AM   #4
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Could be worse: V.O.Y.A.G.E.

VOYeurAdventureGamEr

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 06-19-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

I've gotta say, I'm really impressed with Kheops. They're one of the few developers who seem to "get" the concept of thinking outside the box while staying well within the confines of a very traditional genre (and doing so on a limited budget). RTMI was a great start, and it really sounds like this game is ready to take another step or two forward.

All caps =
Old 06-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #6
bitwise xor

After finishing RTMI and the demo for ECHO I'm finding that I'm really liking Kheops style. VOYAGE sounds really interesting aswell from the article, can't wait to try it out.

Does anybody know how RTMI is doing for them?

Old 06-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #7
fov
Rattenmonster

I don't know any numbers for RtMI's sales, but the fact that VOYAGE is being made in such a similar style tells me it did okay for them. I can't imagine them making a game so similar to RtMI if it hadn't sold well.

They seem to have a tight development schedule that's working for them, what with ECHO and VOYAGE both coming out this year after only about a year of development (or less) on each. I'm excited to see what they come up with after this.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #8

I just finished one of Kheops' earlier games, Egyptian Prophecy, and I'd like to put in a good word for that game as well. I wasn't at all sure that I could stomach yet another game set in Egypt, but it was very nicely done. It's one of those adventure games where I felt that the designers wanted me to succeed rather than throwing up one obtuse roadblock after another---the puzzles were largely logical, and I was never left feeling that I had no idea how to proceed. It's worth picking up.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

I've heard good things about that game, too. I almost picked it up a few weeks ago from the used shelf at EB and stopped myself because of the Egyptian theme. Had a change of heart and went back a few days later but it was gone.

If I see it again I'm buying it!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:16 AM   #10
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Though I'm not really sure why VOYAGE has to be all in caps!
Because it was renamed by The Adventure Company. Look:
In Memoriam -----------------------> MISSING: Since January
Westerner -------------------------> WANTED: a Wild Western Adventure
Lascaux Project --------------------> ECHO: Secrets of the Lost Cavern
Journey to the Center of the Moon --> VOYAGE
Apparently they believe ALLCAPS: a Subtitle formula bears some magical qualities. I suspect Voyage's subtitle is to be revealed later this year (But, seriously, I would use the normal letters if I were the AG staff. On their site, TAC people actually capitalize THEIR EVERY TITLE for some reason.)

Anyway, back to the preview: I'm excited! Verne, Wells, Méliès and Burton as inspirations? It's like I was making this game myself!