You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2005, 10:06 PM   #141
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
Alexi Murdoch - Four Songs.

I. heart. this guy.
So, what's he like?

np: Platnum - Rock Me
Old 06-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #142
Epinionated.

So, I got the X+Y album. I like it, but it's nowhere near as straight-off wow as Rush of Blood. I need a few more listens. My only worry is that they'll end up being like a U2 lite based on some of the Edge-style riffing.

But I also saw a DVD-A copy of Guero in beautiful packaging too. Cost a packet and was very tempting, as I really like what I've heard from the album. But wot wiv GTA SA out on PC at the end of the week, the temptation to have surround-sound Beck was weaker than the need to kick skulls.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #143

I was listening to NPR today, and they did a short piece on misused songs in commercials. One was "Fortunate Son" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (used to sell patriotic Wrangler jeans). Now I'm listening to it repeatedly.

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
Ooh, they’re red, white and blue.
And when the band plays hail to the chief,
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, lord,

It ain’t me, it ain’t me, I ain’t no senator’s son, son.
It ain’t me, it ain’t me; I ain’t no fortunate one, no.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:19 PM   #144
merely human

Goody! Another NPR listener!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-06-2005, 12:25 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Yeah, I love NPR. Thank God two radio stations in my area play it; sometimes one of them plays jazz, so I switch to other station. This quarter I gained a real interest in history, and I figured that listening to news and editorials was a good way of learning the history of today. It provides a good mix because I focus more on ancient and medieval history at school.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Calm down, Trepsie. Lots of people listen to NPR. Including me. I listen to All Things Considered almost every day on WNYC.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/atc

I even have a thing for Michele Norris who has a dreamy, sexy voice.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 PM   #147
merely human

A fantasy of mine would be to have drinks and long conversations with all the announcers, they all seem like Good People, you know? The kind you could see being actual friends, not at all like t.v. personalities.

I have a crush on Steve Inskeep.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #148
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

It must be nice to have a decent NPR station in your area.
Our local one plays a mix of bad fusion jazz that sounds like a group of musicians tuning up before a concert, bad neo-classical music that would be best suited for playing in an elevator, and long boring narratives with no point, no denouement, and no resolution read by people with the most emotionless monotonic voices I've ever heard.
I've tried frequently and in earnest to like our local NPR station, but it invariably just puts me to sleep.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
It must be nice to have a decent NPR station in your area.
Our local one plays a mix of bad fusion jazz that sounds like a group of musicians tuning up before a concert, bad neo-classical music that would be best suited for playing in an elevator, and long boring narratives with no point, no denouement, and no resolution read by people with the most emotionless monotonic voices I've ever heard.
I've tried frequently and in earnest to like our local NPR station, but it invariably just puts me to sleep.
Have you tried listening to it online? I like how the archived shows allow you to skip pieces within each edition.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #150
Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Have you tried listening to it online? I like how the archived shows allow you to skip pieces within each edition.
Hmmm...that's a thought. I might check it out later.
Thanks, Spider.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-06-2005, 02:24 PM   #151
gin soaked boy

The Concretes - Miss You
Old 06-07-2005, 02:18 AM   #152
capsized.

Hot Hot Heat - Goodnight goodnight. Pop tune of the year.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #153

Popular form the Broadway musical Wicked.

I think I'm in love with Kristin Chenoweth (Glinda the Good witch). What a wonderful voice she has!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #154

"Little Sister" - Queens of the Stone Age

I was thinking back to their recent performance on Saturday Night Live, and I had to listen to it again. I think it's got enough cowbell.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 PM   #155
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
Yeah, I love NPR.

Ok! Being english I really want to to understand NPR?

Obviously its some kind of radio station, but how far does it transmit?
Is it like Radio 1 in the UK? which broadcasts to the rest of the nation?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #156
Bad Influence

National Public Radio. It's supported by public donations and Federal grants, not advertising, so it can broadcast more esoteric and less commercially-oriented programs. It's not the same station nationwide; some areas have several NPR stations, some have none at all.
As I stated in an earlier thread, the North-central Alabama NPR station sucks big-time, but NPR stations in other areas are fairly good.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Ok! Being english I really want to to understand NPR?

Obviously its some kind of radio station, but how far does it transmit?
Is it like Radio 1 in the UK? which broadcasts to the rest of the nation?
NPR is National Public Radio, which you can listen to online there. It's a news oriented organization that is funded by the public, and local radio stations can choose to air their programs. It might be similar PRI, Public Radio International. I'm not sure, since I only heard about it yesterday.

edit: Scott said some better things about it.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #158

NPR is actually a separate entity from the local radio stations that broadcast NPR's programs. NPR produces and distributes various programs to its member stations. Local stations are operated independently and they broadcast a mix of nationally distributed NPR programs as well as locally produced programs. There are other bodies like Public Radio International, which produces and distributes Market Place another of my favorite programs broadcast on NPR-member stations, and American Public Media that provide programs to local NPR stations. Each local stations pick and choose what they want to broadcast.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #159
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Ok - that sort of helps!

Here in the UK we have one radio station that transmits to the rest of the country(Radio 1)

but I don't really think it competes with the national radio series you have in the USA?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
Ok - that sort of helps!

Here in the UK we have one radio station that transmits to the rest of the country(Radio 1)

but I don't really think it competes with the national radio series you have in the USA?
Is Radio 1 an AM station? I'm thinking it might be a short wave station. In a big country like USA, it would be impossible to have an AM station that has a national reach. AM just isn't designed for long distance transmission.

Overall, the entire NPR network comprised of program distributors and local stations provide excellent mews and culture-oriented programming. My local station WNYC, based on NY, so I'm proud to say that it's one of the best local stations in the nation, can be heard online at [url=http://www.wnyc.org/]wnyc.org.[url] One of my fav, The Evening Music, is playing right now on WNYC FM.

By the way, Mansie, BBC news programs like BBC World Service and BBC World Update are staples at many NPR stations.