You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #341
Epinionated.

I couldn't see the attraction in Music Has The Right To Children. So many people recommended it I swore I'd like it, but its endlessly repeating samples left me wanting.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:21 AM   #342
Squeaky

Do you like BOC's other stuff?
Old 08-26-2005, 08:58 AM   #343
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
As for Autechre, I really need to start listening to more of their stuff (have you seen the great vid for Gantz Graf?). I've been meaning to get Confield for years. Would you recommend anything else instead?
You could also try Funkstörung's Appetite for Disctruction.

And Squaresie, you're not alone, I can hardly stand Boards of Canada too, be it Music Has the Right to Children, Geogaddi or In a Beautiful Place out in the Country. Yes, thanks to some masochistic urge (and my best friend who's obsessed with them) I listened to all that. Boooooooriiiiiiing.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:59 AM   #344
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

simpson_yellow: Depending on what you prefer, I've got some Autechre recommendations for you, but I could say now that you should try Incunabula, Chiastic Slide (and Cichlisuite EP) and LP5. If you're after the really complex stuff Confield is probably the way to go, but you should probably be prepared for it so you don't get put off and dismiss Autechre altogether.

If you're really into electronica (the IDMish side of it, at least), Arovane is pretty well-known. Otherwise, I'm not surprised you haven't heard of him. It's sortof ambient, sortof BOC influenced and sortof glitch, but he's got a pretty distinctive style. Really lush electronica. The most stuff on the label he's on - City Centre Offices - is worth checking out. Sora is great, he's mixing a lot of chopped up jazz/bossa samples with his electronics and it works out really well. Biopshere is just pure ambient, basically. Very good.

Other stuff you might wanna check out (if you haven't already) is Nobukazu Takemura (very glitch-y), World's End Girlfriend ('Farewell Kingdom'), Cinq, Susumu Yokota, Kazumasa Hashimoto (mixes a lot of acoustic sounds and field recordings with his electronics)... (all these are japanese, actually - and I didn't even consider that)...
Old 08-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #345
Epinionated.

I gotta say this makes for more interesting reading than the usual sludgy indie-metal crap that makes up these conversations.

@cobra - glad it's not just me.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:30 AM   #346
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
simpson_yellow: Depending on what you prefer, I've got some Autechre recommendations for you, but I could say now that you should try Incunabula, Chiastic Slide (and Cichlisuite EP) and LP5. If you're after the really complex stuff Confield is probably the way to go, but you should probably be prepared for it so you don't get put off and dismiss Autechre altogether.
Sounds cool. I'm all for complex stuff (and by 'complex', I assume you mean somewhat abrasive) - I actually quite liked 'Do You Know Squarepusher', after all .

I'm into IDM as much as I can be, but there isn't much of a scene here and none of my friends are into it, so it's hard to find new artists (or even old ones that aren't especially well known). I'll look into Arovane, and Biosphere sounds good - I do love a bit of ambient. I'm not a huge fan of jazz in my electronica so I might leave Sora alone for a bit. I haven't checked out any of the Japanese acts that you've mentioned so I'll have to do that. Phew, I'm sweating just thinking about all of that...

Thanks for all the pointers. Now I have some artist names, it looks like a visit to my local alternative music store is in order.

And the vid for Autechre's Gantz Graf really is worth checking out. If you're interested, it comes on a companion DVD with the Gantz Graf EP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
You could also try Funkstörung's Appetite for Disctruction.
I like their site - nice presentation. What's Appetite for Disctruction though? Couldn't find it on the site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJH
@cobra - glad it's not just me.
No, it's just you and cobra .

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 08-26-2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:52 AM   #347
rare groove

The video sounds really interesting. If you like Gantz Graf, I think your best bet is Confield and Draft 7.30, but by all means, try the other stuff as well. EP5, LP7...

I'm really looking forward to The Campfire Headphase.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:55 AM   #348
Squeaky

Argh! New Boards of Canada. Dude, you have to stop posting - you're giving my credit card a migraine
Old 08-26-2005, 11:06 AM   #349
gin soaked boy

Quote:
I like their site - nice presentation. What's Appetite for Disctruction though? Couldn't find it on the site.
It's their best album, IMO.

And for your ambient needs, everybody I know has only kind words for Ulrich Schnauss. Everybody but me, that is, as I also find him boring
But I guess he's pretty good if you're into that stuff, very organic sound.

I presume you're already familiar with Fennesz?

np: Mirah - Recommendation
Old 08-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #350
rare groove

Quote:
Argh! New Boards of Canada. Dude, you have to stop posting - you're giving my credit card a migraine
You know you want it.

For all your ambient needs, check out the recommendation I made for Trep. You need William Basinski.

And listen to cobra (in this case, at least ), Fennesz is good.

Ulrich Schnauss is also on CCO (like Arovane). And if you want lush electronica, try Loess self-titled album. A bit like Boards of Canada.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:29 AM   #351
gin soaked boy

Oh, and if you guys are interested in totally fuc*ed up glithch remixes of pop hits, Poj Masta is your man

More here.

np: The Frames - What Happens When The Heart Just Stops
Old 08-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #352
Squeaky

You guys are evil. What with my already massive stack of unplayed games and now a huge list of music to listen to, I'm going to have no time for the less important things in life like my job and relationship. Should be fun though. Thanks guys .
Old 08-27-2005, 05:26 PM   #353
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

For the past couple of weeks I have been listening to a lot of Nick Cave and Patti Smith

Old 08-27-2005, 11:55 PM   #354
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I've been listening to the new Franz Ferdinand song a lot. It's catchier than an STD.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 08-30-2005, 12:26 PM   #355
merely human

Scissor Sisters - Bicycling With The Devil

LMFAO!!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-30-2005, 02:13 PM   #356
capsized.

Blood Brothers - Ambulance vs. ambulance

OMFG!
Old 08-30-2005, 06:25 PM   #357

Snoop Dogg with Pharell - "Drop it Like it's Hot"

"I keep a blue flag hanging on my backside
but only on the left side
yeah, that's the Crip side"

It should have won best video at the VMAs.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:31 PM   #358
DAVE

GNR - Las Vagas

someone try translating this and see if it makes any sense. I speak the language and can't make any sense out of them, but damn, the bass line is so cool.

http://www.arcofilms.com/otherprojects/lasvagas.html
Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 PM   #359
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71
For the past couple of weeks I have been listening to a lot of Nick Cave and Patti Smith
(Sidebar: Robert Mapplethorpe, one of my favorite artists, was very good friends with Patti Smith and took some stunning photographs of her, many of which reveal a little girl sweetness beneath her swagger and bravado. If you Google for these, be warned- A lot of Mapplethorpe's work is controversial in subject matter and not for the easily offended. He did do some truly awesome portraits, though.)
I heard a cover of The Hollies' "(All I Need Is) The Air That I Breathe" by The Mavericks today. The music was practically a note-for-note recreation of the original release, right down to the guitar solo, but the singer seemed to be be striving for a Roy Orbison-like quality in his delivery...with limited success. This forced me to imagine what Roy Orbison himself would have sounded like singing this same song, and what I imagined wasn't bad at all.

ScottMate

Share the love.

<3
Old 09-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #360
rare groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Blood Brothers - Ambulance vs. ambulance

OMFG!
Yeah! ****ing great song. Have you listened to Melt Banana? My favorite hardcore-art-punk-noise band. Amazing stuff.