You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 10:00 PM   #321
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider Crusoe
The drukqs album by Aphex Twin. Oh, how I love Aphex Twin.
My all time favourite album. You got much of his other stuff?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:29 PM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
My all time favourite album. You got much of his other stuff?
I also have the Richard D. James album, Selected Ambient Works II, Selected Ambient Works 85-92, and 26 Mixes for Cash. I think Ambient II is my favorite, but the others are really close behind.

I don't listen to much electronic music other than Aphex Twin because anyone else pales in comparison.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #323
Squeaky

Heh, cool. I have the same as you, plus I Care Because You Do, 51/13, Come To Daddy, and Classics. Of those, I think Come To Daddy is the most worth having. 51/13 is also pretty good but it's an Asia-Pacific release only (think it was released as three separate EPs elsewhere). I Care... isn't the best album in my opinion, but it does contain Alberto Balsalm - possibly the finest track ever . As for Classics, probably not worth getting unless you're a completist.

I'm with you on SAW II. I could bliss out to that stuff all day .

And you're right about everything else paling in comparison, which just makes it all the more painful that he hardly ever releases stuff anymore.

I also listen to a bit of Squarepusher, who has some moments of genius, but it's just not the same.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:01 AM   #324
gin soaked boy

Garageland - Not Empty

Probably my favorite Kiwi band, too bad they're no more
Old 08-14-2005, 01:05 PM   #325
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

rhapsody- gargoles, angels of darkness
Old 08-14-2005, 11:43 PM   #326
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

The Libera Me from Duruflé's Requiem. One of the great choral works .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:24 AM   #327
kamikaze hummingbirds

Kasabian
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 AM   #328
gin soaked boy

Jamelia - See It In A Boy's Eyes

Beautifilistic piece of trip-hoppy rnb.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:05 AM   #329
The Impostor

Talking Heads — Remain In Light.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #330
gin soaked boy

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
Old 08-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #331
merely human

David Byrne - Glass, Concrete, and Stone
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #332
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

Send a message via MSN to Talas

Santana - Oye Como Va
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #333
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Spock's Beard - Harm's Way
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:00 PM   #334
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

I thought Druqks was supposed to be one of RDJ's worst? Anyway, I appreciate his work but there's definitely other electronic music I prefer. The classics, such as Autechre (the endless debate - Autechre vs. Aphex Twin), BOC, Squarepusher... and others like Sora, Arovane, Biosphere... I think I prefer all those (and probably other stuff as well) to Aphex Twin. But he's good. Granted, I haven't listened that much to his material.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #335
merely human

I like Aphex Twin, especially his decidedly more sweet and ponderous stuff. I never got much into Autechre, but they're quite good. I used to listen a lot to Cathexsis (sp?). But in the past few years I've moved away from all that, towards more ambient soundscape types. I should shell out for Moby's Hotel; the first disc, I read in reviews, is kinda predictable (he has a terrible singing voice), but the second disc is what I want - very pretty, ambient melodic soundscapes.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #336
rare groove

I love Autechre, and depending on what sort of music you prefer you could try their different periods. The first (Incunabula, Amber) is more ambient, normal sounds and sortof sweet melodies. Later on they mix more abstract beats and more odd sounds with their melodic side (Chiastic Slide), and even later on they go completely abstract with Confield and Draft 7.30.

But, Trep, if you want ambient stuff, I've got some recommendations for you. First off; William Basinski. His The Disintegration Loops-series is absolutely lovely ambient that actually... disintegrates, as it goes along (to make a long story short, he was recording his old analog loops to digital and they literally fell apart as he did so, thus disintegrating). The music is dying. The effect is mind blowing. Other stuff you could check out is Biosphere, Deathprod (dark ambient, massive soundscapes) ... Lustmord & Robert Rich's Stalker is also worth listening to.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #337
rare groove

I think you might like Rachel's Systems/Layers, as well. It's not really ambient, though, but utterly beautiful. Review.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 PM   #338
capsized.

Jets To Brazil - You're having the time of my life
Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 AM   #339
Epinionated.

The Thrills - So Much For The City
Old 08-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #340
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
I thought Druqks was supposed to be one of RDJ's worst? Anyway, I appreciate his work but there's definitely other electronic music I prefer. The classics, such as Autechre (the endless debate - Autechre vs. Aphex Twin), BOC, Squarepusher... and others like Sora, Arovane, Biosphere... I think I prefer all those (and probably other stuff as well) to Aphex Twin. But he's good. Granted, I haven't listened that much to his material.
Well, drukqs didn't exactly receive universal critical acclaim, but I maintain that it's his finest collection of work. If anyone were to ask me for an album that showed what RDJ was capable of, drukqs is the CD I'd pull out of my collection.

It was his first release in about 5 years and I think people were expecting something truly earth-shattering, since he'd previously broken so much new ground. Instead, drukqs was really just the familiar 'Aphex sound' tweaked to near perfection. Anyone that denies the incredibly complex beauty of 'Vordhosbn' and 'Mt Saint Michel' has no soul. I think it's a great album and gets better with every listen. Aside from Selected Ambient Works Vol. II, it's the only RDJ album that's continually in my CD player. That has to say something, considering I bought it four years ago.

As for Autechre, I really need to start listening to more of their stuff (have you seen the great vid for Gantz Graf?). I've been meaning to get Confield for years. Would you recommend anything else instead?

BOC are great too. I've been listening to Music Has A Right to Children lately - beautiful stuff!

Haven't heard of the other three you mentioned. Is that sacrilegious?