You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat A *good* movie summer for a change?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 02:08 AM   #1
Dungeon Master

Default A *good* movie summer for a change?

So I've just seen the Shrek sequel which will make me smile for the following week at least. And, surprising as it seems, the next two months in Poland still have more than a couple of premieres that more or less set me to drooling. There is (stupidly renamed) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind which looks simply awesome, The Village (yup, I'm one of those CRAZY Shyamalan fans), stylish Bon Voyage, and Palm-d'Ored Fahrenheit 9/11. Compared to the typical summer popcorn flicks which trailers alone are not worth recommending, this year is shaping up to be great.

If you've seen any of those movies, did you like it? And what are your choices for rainy days?
Old 07-05-2004, 02:32 AM   #2
Puts the 'e' in Mark

I too loved Shrek 2, though I can see how it could not be everyone's cup of tea. It's a bit too saturated with parody, but I really did like it when I saw it. Some of the jokes are really good thanks to the great animation.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is bizarre and wonderful. Make every effort to see it! Amazingly, Jim Carrey does one hell of a job in this film. It took me 10 minutes just to figure out it was him. (I hadn't heard anything about the movie prior to seeing it.)

Fahrenheit 9/11 is ... well, it's become sort of necessary to see it, hasn't it? That's also how I would describe this movie: it's necessary. It's not the greatest achievement in filmmaking ever. It won't blow you away in that respect. Also if you have followed European or independent media, little of what is "revealed" in the film will be new to you. But it's still a very good sketch of what's going on in the world, and in the US specifically. I liked it a lot. It didn't keep me thinking for days, since I already pretty much agreed with most of it, but it was good nonetheless.

Are movies still dubbed in Poland? The only times I could watch a movie there is when friends of my neice had a DivX with polish subtitles. I couldn't go to movie theaters. Once I went to a Polish stage play that I obviously didn't understand ... it was the longest 2 hours of my life.

I really should start learning Polish
Old 07-05-2004, 04:35 AM   #3
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is really good, definately see it! Personally, It's the only Jim Carry film that I like (of those I've seen) because he's not playing for laughs with an over the top performance. It's a bizarre but compelling film.

As for Fahrenheit 9/11, thats not a film I will be seeing. While I'd probably agree with the stand Moore is taking, I just can't get away from the fact that he really gets on my tits. And I get the impression that this film is aimed solely at the american electorate; so that doesn't include me. And if it is intended to have an effect on British voters too (as if we matter!) then rest assured Tony Blair lost my vote a long time ago so I doubt this film would be any use to me.

Personally I'm going to be very popularist and say I'm looking forward to Spiderman 2. The first one was fun, apart from the patriotic stuff at the end. Hopefully this will be more of the same
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 07-05-2004, 05:23 AM   #4
Evil Incarnate

Hells yeah! This week will be blockbuster galore for me. I was planning on 'The Day After Tomorrow' and 'Spiderman 2', there's a bunch of movies on the telly I need to see aswell this week ('Lone Star', 'The Conversation' and 'The Hunt for Red October')
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 AM   #5
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
Are movies still dubbed in Poland? The only times I could watch a movie there is when friends of my neice had a DivX with polish subtitles. I couldn't go to movie theaters. Once I went to a Polish stage play that I obviously didn't understand ... it was the longest 2 hours of my life.

I really should start learning Polish
Dubbed? Only the children/family movies are dubbed, and in the case of more "high profile" films (like Shrek 2 or Harry Potter recently) there is often a percentage of subtitled copies as well.

If on the other hand you mean "lectured" (ie. there's one guy reading the dialogues trying to jam the original voices), then, while it's a common practice on TV & video, it never happens in cinema. Well, with the exception of some festival or special screenings and such, but never with regular releases.

As for the 9/11, I'm not an avid Moore's fan (also on account of not what he's saying but how), but I believe it's the most important event in the film industry of the recent few months, even though not really the best movie.

And, Melkor, The Conversation is a pure masterpiece IMO!!! Don't you dare to miss it!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #6
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Fahrenheit 9/11 is ... well, it's become sort of necessary to see it, hasn't it? That's also how I would describe this movie: it's necessary. It's not the greatest achievement in filmmaking ever. It won't blow you away in that respect.
Are you kidding? This film was simply beautiful. And I don't even mean that in terms of its political message. But just in terms of how it was put together, it's one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen.

Quote:
Also if you have followed European or independent media, little of what is "revealed" in the film will be new to you.
I don't think it was meant to be a lot of shocking revelations as much as simply a comprehensive list of the arguments against Bush. Sure, it's all been said before but never so concisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
Personally, It's the only Jim Carry film that I like (of those I've seen) because he's not playing for laughs with an over the top performance.
Jim Carrey is actually a terrific actor. He just happens to have a lot of really stupid slapstick roles. Carrey's really at his best in films like this. I thought he was also really good in The Truman Show and The Majestic.

mag

Last edited by mag; 07-06-2004 at 05:32 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:39 AM   #7
peb
Colossal

A couple of movies that are just now playing in my town that I want to see:

Coffee and Cigarettes
Shaolin Soccer
Super Size Me
Dodgeball (Why not?)

F9/11 has been sold out constantly here but that's not surprising since I live in a left-leaning area. I figure I'm going to vote against Bush and I don't like Moore so why go see it?
Old 07-05-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
Statement: Not a meatbag.

Send a message via AIM to Royal Fool Send a message via MSN to Royal Fool

I wanna see Shrek 2, Spider-Man 2 (OMG, sequelitis ), The Village, The Manchurian Candidate (Looks like a good thriller), Fahrenheit 9/11 and others. But I won't go see them at the movies, because I hate the whole 'experience' of going to the movies. I hate lines, I hate crowds of people waiting, I hate squeezing between people to get to some obscure seat. I hate it all.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
While I'd probably agree with the stand Moore is taking, I just can't get away from the fact that he really gets on my tits.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
No justice. Only me.

Out of the movies that are still in theaters in the Baltimore area, I really want to see Spiderman 2, Fahrenheit 9/11, Saved, Dodgeball, The Day After Tomorrow and Supersize Me.

I REALLY wanted to see Hellboy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Shaolin Soccer, but they're not around here anymore.

Really, the only movie I've seen so far this summer was Shrek 2. Damn good movie, though.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:29 PM   #11
Citizen of Bizarro World

I've seen Shrek 2 and thought it was fun, but didn't think it was worth the price of admission. It wasn't much of a "theatrical event." By "theatrical event" I mean the kind of movies which are an FX romp on you visual and auditory sensory receptors.

I've seen Eternal Sunshine and even though it was even less of an "event", I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the film, and though it was more than worth the money.

Lemmesee...I wanna see much of the same movies mentioned, but am gonna hold off on some untill they get to the video rental place, for the reasons cited above.

Quote:
Personally I'm going to be very popularist and say I'm looking forward to Spiderman 2. The first one was fun, apart from the patriotic stuff at the end. Hopefully this will be more of the same
What do you mean by the patriotic stuff? I don't remember that.

About being popularist--S2 is not a traditional action movie. It is very well received by critics, while some of the mainstream crowd (namely my brother and cousin) find it boring. So don't feel bad about being excited for this movie--you won't be dissapointed. I've seen it the morning it came out, and imho, it's not only more of the same but is even better than the first. And I'll leave this thought with you to ponder: If Lord of the Rings was an Oscar worthy film, this is more so (as even the acting deserve nomination).
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-06-2004, 02:14 AM   #12
Evil Incarnate

Quote:
And, Melkor, The Conversation is a pure masterpiece IMO!!! Don't you dare to miss it!!!
I'm not planning to. It's been on my 'to do' list for way too long....
Old 07-06-2004, 03:28 AM   #13
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Mag, I was merely contrasting my impressions of the film against all the hype. I'm just saying that you shouldn't go see it expecting a lot of "shocking revelations", at least if you've kept up with the real news (e.g. most Europeans). I think the documentary is really well done in terms of directing and editing. As an unglorified montage, it really is well done. I meant it literally when I wrote that it isn't the best documentary of all times. I believe the subject matter did levitate it to winning some of the prizes it got.

Although you misattributed the quote about Jim Carrey to me, I agree completely. He really pulled off a good performance in The Truman Show and in Spotless Mind his performance was just stellar. It's funny how I actually didn't recognize Jim Carrey for a while because he wasn't doing any of his trademark faces.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:42 AM   #14
mag

Quote:
Mag, I was merely contrasting my impressions of the film against all the hype. I'm just saying that you shouldn't go see it expecting a lot of "shocking revelations", at least if you've kept up with the real news (e.g. most Europeans). I think the documentary is really well done in terms of directing and editing. As an unglorified montage, it really is well done. I meant it literally when I wrote that it isn't the best documentary of all times. I believe the subject matter did levitate it to winning some of the prizes it got.
I get what you were trying to say. Actually, the thing about there not being a whole lot of new information revealed in the film is something I've heard before. I just thought I'd add my own opinion to that since I really do think it's a fantastic film. Everybody, or at the very least everybody in America, should see it.

Also, if you're looking for a good documentary, I went to see Control Room yesterday. It's a film about Al Jazeera. It was actually pretty good. It shows that even though Al Jazeera is thought of as Arab propaganda here in America, it's considered in most Arab countries to be a mouthpiece for the United States. That to me suggests that you're doing something right.

Spoiler:
My favroite part was when they were talking about the "Iraqis" who were trying to bring down the statue of Saddam Hussein. Apparently, the whole thing was staged. The senior producer guy at Al Jazeera was saying something like, "I was born in Iraq. I recognize an Iraqi accent. Those were not Iraqis." They didn't just arrive in the square on their own, either. They arrived with the Americans. And one of them just happened to have an Iraqi flag from 1991 in his pocket.

Quote:
Although you misattributed the quote about Jim Carrey to me, I agree completely.
Whoops. Sorry. I was just copying and pasting, and I forgot to change the QUOTE= part. I fixed it. Hee hee.

mag
Old 07-06-2004, 06:02 AM   #15
Headbanger

Am I the only one who missed that apparently "summer movies" is more or less a genre?

Anyway, I really want to see Dawn of the dead, King Arthur and The Village.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:30 AM   #16
Evil Incarnate

Quote:
It shows that even though Al Jazeera is thought of as Arab propaganda here in America, it's considered in most Arab countries to be a mouthpiece for the United States
Arab propaganda? Is that really the general belief? Who put this stereotypical bs into the heads of americans?

Why is it that americans (or at least the american government/officials) is so afraid of independent news, other sources than the 'ultra political correct' news of the bland average american TV-channel?

I watched both 'Al Jazeera' and 'CNN' (among others) during the war, and IMHO, the arab channel wasn't any less objective than the more profiled western channels. They had a different take on things, sure, but not in a deteriorating way... it didn't affect the legitimacy of the story more than western 'views' affect story's in western channels.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag
And one of them just happened to have an Iraqi flag from 1991 in his pocket.
Yeah this was one of the more disgusting media tricks the U.S. pulled, but somehow very consistent Anyway just to add to your spoiler: Carrying that '91 flag carried the death penalty, as in being shot on the spot.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:40 AM   #18
mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor
Arab propaganda? Is that really the general belief? Who put this stereotypical bs into the heads of americans?
It really is which is kind of sad. During the early days of the war there was a lot of talk about Al Jazeera. A lot of it was fueled by the fact that they showed video of dead American soldiers which there was a huge uproar about (of course, our news stations didn't seem to have any problem with showing even more graphic images of the bodies of Uday and Qusay Hussein). So because they didn't get onboard and support every single thing the US said, that obviously made them propaganda for Saddam Hussein and the terrorists. As I recall it was mostly the Bush administration pushing that idea. I remember Rumsfeld harping on Al Jazeera being propaganda in what seemed like just about every press conference. And because most Americans don't bother looking at any international news source for themselves, they believe it because CNN and FOX told them so.

mag
Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #19
No justice. Only me.

This is gonna become the Fahrenheit 9/11 thread Part II, I can tell.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #20
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

5 4 3 2 1

yes thunderbirds i cant wait for it and also garfield the movie with that sacastic ginger moggy

yes i cant wait for these

Marise-Chiko