You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat A *good* movie summer for a change?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #21
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandcliklover
...and also garfield the movie with that sacastic ginger moggy
Oh, come on! Garfield will utterly SUCK! And that's a tragedy (I mean, J.L. Hewitt - shoot me now). I really don't know what goes around in people's heads to make blasphemies such as this one! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

There are more old drunks then old doctors. - Willie Nelson

by_100ja
Old 07-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #22
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
If on the other hand you mean "lectured" (ie. there's one guy reading the dialogues trying to jam the original voices), then, while it's a common practice on TV & video, it never happens in cinema.
That's very good to hear, although it really cracks me up when I watch movies on POLSAT! But at least they're ok, cause I can hear english in the back (if it's a UK/US movie of course). To see Schwarzi or Bruce Willis speak italuian, german, spanish, french... Mon dieu!
BTW I'm looking forward to Hellboy and Punisher (anyone seen any of it?) and Coffee and cigarettes.

P.S. Shaolin soccer is a nice movie. Spiderman sucks (and Mares are you refering to the 1st movie when you're talking 'bout Oscars?). And also, Spiderman doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with LOTR.

by_100ja
Old 07-07-2004, 11:23 PM   #23
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100ja a.k.a. mr_mitja
And also, Spiderman doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with LOTR.
please tell me why not i mean lotr was ok, the frist was gd the second was quite boring i mean 2 and 3/4 hours of fighting, spiderman was ok too but it was taken away from that comic man feel which is not what we wanted just like scooby doo that had a rediculas ending in the frist but they seconded rocked

Marise-Chiko
Old 07-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #24
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
And what are your choices for rainy days?
Lawrence of Arabia
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
The Maltese Falcon
My Cousin Vinnie
Brazil
It's a Wonderful Life
Die Hard
Becket
All That Jazz
Back to the Future II
Somewhere In Time
Time After Time
His Girl Friday
Forbidden Planet
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
The Color Purple
Jaws
Almost Famous
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Thing (original)
The Thing (Carpenter's remake)
North By Northwest
D.O.A. (remake)
Alien
Aliens
The Terminator
T2: Judgement Day
The Abyss
Strange Days
Full Metal Jacket
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
The Empire Strikes Back
Any other SW movie
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Clerks
Chasing Amy
Dogma
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
Throw Mama From the Train
The Jerk
Parenthood
Fiddler on the Roof
Little Shop of Horrors (remake)
Jesus Christ Superstar
The Music Man
Seven Days in May
The Postman
The Manchurian Candidate (original)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
High Plains Drifter
Dawn of the Dead (original)
The Exorcist
City Slickers
The Godfather
Apocalypse Now (Original version)
American Beauty
Old 07-08-2004, 05:55 AM   #25
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Oh, come on! Garfield will utterly SUCK! And that's a tragedy (I mean, J.L. Hewitt - shoot me now). I really don't know what goes around in people's heads to make blasphemies such as this one! Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
I don't know how many people read this, but THIS is the reason that people make movies like Garfield. The whole reason the comic existed in the first place was as a merchandising opportunity. Davis spends more time marketing the strip than working on it. Don't believe me?

Read on....
Old 07-08-2004, 06:19 AM   #26
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
I don't know how many people read this, but THIS is the reason that people make movies like Garfield. The whole reason the comic existed in the first place was as a merchandising opportunity. Davis spends more time marketing the strip than working on it. Don't believe me?

Read on....

thatsall very well but ur missing the point it based at preteens, its supposed to be fun and garfield is for the kids its just that im a really big kid that im looking forward to them

Marise-Chiko
Old 07-08-2004, 10:01 AM   #27
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacardiJim
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Not that I want to turn this into a Trekkie debate thread, but Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country is better . And then there's Star Trek: First Contact ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:29 AM   #28
pain is love

Yeah rancor, seems you have a point. And GArfield really ain't in the same mindframe the movie is going to be.
Next thing, LOTR is a huge project, which has some "beyond pure making money" quality. I mean, it is waaaay better done, the story is better, actors are (Tobey , and what's up with Dafoe? He sure didn't need this), wait, everything is! LOTR is a good representative of a adapted book scenario, while Spiderman is actually a bad adapted comic-book. One more reason is that I'm a LOTR fan . I don't usually enjoy the US blockbusters, and I tend to watch new indie and european movies (I guess that there is much more depth in those, generally speaking). And I hated the flag scene at the end! (I ain't american and I guess I'll never really appreciate that kind of cheap patriotism)

by_100ja
Old 07-09-2004, 11:06 AM   #29
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
Jim Carrey is actually a terrific actor. He just happens to have a lot of really stupid slapstick roles. Carrey's really at his best in films like this. I thought he was also really good in The Truman Show and The Majestic.

mag
Oh I take it back, I like Eternal Sunshine and The Truman Show, I'd forgotten about that. Though to be honest I like the Truman Show despite Carrey

And The Majestic sounds quite good, I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
What do you mean by the patriotic stuff? I don't remember that.

About being popularist--S2 is not a traditional action movie. It is very well received by critics, while some of the mainstream crowd (namely my brother and cousin) find it boring. So don't feel bad about being excited for this movie--you won't be dissapointed. I've seen it the morning it came out, and imho, it's not only more of the same but is even better than the first. And I'll leave this thought with you to ponder: If Lord of the Rings was an Oscar worthy film, this is more so (as even the acting deserve nomination).
I can't remember specific examples now I try to think about it, perhaps I'm remembering the film completely wrongly? I have a feeling it was something to do with that parade or something.

And I don't mean to be disparaging about spiderman 2 being the popularist choice; I just meant in comparison to films like Fahrenheit 9/11 and Eternal Sunshine.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:08 PM   #30
mag

Send a message via AIM to mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
I can't remember specific examples now I try to think about it, perhaps I'm remembering the film completely wrongly? I have a feeling it was something to do with that parade or something.
You mean the part where the people on the bridge start throwing stuff at the Green Goblin? I understand that part was added in after 9/11 to show how loyal and tough New Yorkers are. Because obviously New Yorkers are the only people on Earth who can feel any kind of bond in their community.

Then there was the scene they added on to the end where Spidey lands on the flagpole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomStLeger
And I don't mean to be disparaging about spiderman 2 being the popularist choice; I just meant in comparison to films like Fahrenheit 9/11 and Eternal Sunshine.
They're all good in different ways. Spider-Man 2 is a popcorn flick. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a persuasive essay. Eternal Sunshine is more of an artistic sort of love story. The last two are films you may have to think about a bit more, but that doesn't necessarily make them better or worse. Depends on what you're in the mood for.

mag
Old 07-09-2004, 08:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Spiderman sucks
WARNING SPIDERMAN FANBOY ALERT

OMG STFU SPIDERMAN IS AWESOME!!!!!#$!

END ALERT

Ok, Spiderman 1 was alright, not the best (or worst) superhero movie, Spiderman 2 is supposed to be pretty awesome though. I don't even know how you can compare LOTR to Spiderman, they're nothing alike. Spiderman is for comic book fans, LOTR is for LOTR fans.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeChimp
WARNING SPIDERMAN FANBOY ALERT

OMG STFU SPIDERMAN IS AWESOME!!!!!#$!

END ALERT

Ok, Spiderman 1 was alright, not the best (or worst) superhero movie, Spiderman 2 is supposed to be pretty awesome though. I don't even know how you can compare LOTR to Spiderman, they're nothing alike. Spiderman is for comic book fans, LOTR is for LOTR fans.
Spiderman 1 was awful, even the animated tv series did a better job of adapting the comic series. As for part 2, I've seen it and I cannot understand the hype. It's amazing how everybody just blindly accepts the movie's shortcomings and yells "What an entertaining experience!".
Old 07-10-2004, 06:47 AM   #33
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Spiderman 1 was awful, even the animated tv series did a better job of adapting the comic series. As for part 2, I've seen it and I cannot understand the hype. It's amazing how everybody just blindly accepts the movie's shortcomings and yells "What an entertaining experience!".
I sort of agree with you here. But then again I read a lot of comics when I was around 10-15 years old but I have totally lost interest in it now (with some exceptions). So I more or less find every movie with a muscular guy in tights to be kind of corny and very far from good.

The only superhero movie I remember as fairly good was the first Batman movie (except for The Crow which is an incredibly good movie). I was just a young lad then but I saw it a few years after its release and I liked it a lot (but that was a while ago ). I also really enjoyed the old TV-series about The Hulk, but the new movie was a catastrophe. Of course some of the comics that I totally worshiped when I was a boy have been made into movies (The Phantom, Judge Dredd and Spawn) and I enjoyed watching those but they are very far from good. But when it comes to Spiderman everyone seems to love it. That's weird!
Old 07-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #34
No justice. Only me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I sort of agree with you here. But then again I read a lot of comics when I was around 10-15 years old but I have totally lost interest in it now (with some exceptions). So I more or less find every movie with a muscular guy in tights to be kind of corny and very far from good.

The only superhero movie I remember as fairly good was the first Batman movie (except for The Crow which is an incredibly good movie). I was just a young lad then but I saw it a few years after its release and I liked it a lot (but that was a while ago ). I also really enjoyed the old TV-series about The Hulk, but the new movie was a catastrophe. Of course some of the comics that I totally worshiped when I was a boy have been made into movies (The Phantom, Judge Dredd and Spawn) and I enjoyed watching those but they are very far from good. But when it comes to Spiderman everyone seems to love it. That's weird!
I rememember liking the Phantom. And the Hulk was fun to watch, even if it wasn't the best movie around. Lots of people tell me that I should see the Rocketeer, which is I guess considered to be a GREAT comic book movie.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #35
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcreteRancor
I rememember liking the Phantom. And the Hulk was fun to watch, even if it wasn't the best movie around. Lots of people tell me that I should see the Rocketeer, which is I guess considered to be a GREAT comic book movie.
I saw Rocketeer when I was a kid too and I thought it was great back then. I remember that me and one of my friends used to watch it over and over again. We even had the game on Amiga 500 that we used to play. Aaaa, sweet memories. I'm afraid to watch it now because I might get disappointed.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:48 PM   #36
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke
I saw Rocketeer when I was a kid too and I thought it was great back then. I remember that me and one of my friends used to watch it over and over again. We even had the game on Amiga 500 that we used to play. Aaaa, sweet memories. I'm afraid to watch it now because I might get disappointed.
I too saw Rocketeer for the first time when I was a little kid. During the last six months, I've seen the movie twice.

It's still good action filled movie.

(I always thought that Billy Campbell was Bruce Campbell's brother, but I checked it out once and realized that he wasn't )

And the game, are you by any chance meaning Cinemaware's Rocket Ranger, it wasn't about the movie, but it certainly had the same feeling.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:04 PM   #37
pain is love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Couldn't agree with you more (on #1, haven't seen the 2nd), it's very obvious that it's enough that it's Spidey. I read some of the comics and I feel like the 1st is bad, according to the standard of the comics! I mean, if the superhero was XYZ-man people would say it's bad (or at least mediocre) but it's Spidey. BTW I would like to name some movies based on comics that were better than Spiderman:
HULK (reigning #1 in my book, Ang Lee is god),
SUPERMAN (all of them),
BATMAN (1 is awesome, 2 is O.K., 3 is at least better),
BLADE 1&2,
ROAD TO PERDITION,
HE-MAN, -
FLASH GORDON, - these are quite bad, but also better
FLASH, -
X_MEN (both)...

So you see I like comics, I just hate what they did to Spiderman

by_100ja
Old 07-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #38
Citizen of Bizarro World

Stojo, when I said Oscar-worthy, I meant Spidey 2. I liked Spidey 1 the first time around, but was bored the second time (and the third time, when I saw it in an airplane). I wanna see Spidey 2 again, but am afraid history will repeat itself.

BTW the most critically acclaimed LOTR (Return of the King) was my least favorite. I though the looong epilogue was major snooze material. I think a bad (mumbo-jumbo) ending is also what ruined Hulk for so many people. I liked most of that movie otherwise.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 07-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #39

Quote:
BATMAN (1 is awesome, 2 is O.K., 3 is at least better),

WTF? Batman 3 is better than Spiderman? Batman 3 is horrible, it's amazing that they somehow managed to make Batman and Robin worse. Batman 1 is pretty awesome though, better than Spiderman.

Except for Green Goblin's costume and some of the patriotic crap, I thought Spiderman was pretty good.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #40
Citizen of Bizarro World

God save us from the day when patriotism is thought of as a negative quality.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem