You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #3341
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
1. Love and kisses
2. hunting that rabbit
3. then comes marriage

I'll pass tsa questions on to the next person

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #3342
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1. Do you really think certain adventure games have gotten way too easy, or is it just that priorities are changing, and a new kind of adventure game is becoming prevalent?
2. Should I ask another question?
3. What question should I ask next?
1. The games have not gotten easier. They've merely gotten more sensible and less given to classic Adventure Gamer Logic solutions. This is not universal; there are still games with ridiculous puzzles. It's just becoming less common to inundate new games with such trappings, because fewer classic puzzle gamers are buying these games. Developers are courting casual audiences, and streamlining the puzzle logic is a big part of that.
2. Sure, why not? No one's looking. Whip it out and let's have a look.
3. Not that one. The one about the rabbit and the prostitute. I love that one.

Quote:
3. What kind of storytelling would you like to see in an adventure game? And I mean story telling technique, not the story itself.
3. The kind that keeps me from remembering I'm playing a game. So I would have to say the very, very good kind. I don't have specific techniques for this, though I personally favour branching plot and lots of snappy dialogue that charms as it guides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. Generally, do you prefer to read the manual or figure it out as you go along?
2. Do you have an easier time flirting with geeks, as opposed to the general population?
3. Do you have an easier time writing when you know you're going to have an audience?
1. I tend to crack open the manual only when there are several parts to a thing, or when the networking isn't working.
2. Yes, but I'm a fairly natural flirt. I only steer clear of folks who obviously think I'm a toad.
3. I don't know. I've rarely had an audience bigger than three for any piece of fiction I've written. ask me again when I'm a little more popular. You could be waiting a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
1. How good are you at writing letters for either business purposes or socially? (if you ever do with email/facebook etc.) Do you enjoy it when you do?
2. Is it sad that so many fewer letters are sent with emails/texts etc. taking over, or is it good riddance to a slow and outmoded means of communication?
3. If you had three wishes, what would the second one be?
1. I'm pretty good at letter writing. I don't really like writing formal letters, but my query letter writing has gotten really good.
2. I find that, while the technology has been a good thing, I'm not too crazy about how lazy some folks have gotten about writing in proper bloody English.
3. I'd say 'but then it won't come true', but I did in fact tell, and am now quite certain it never will. *sigh*

Quote:
1. To what extent do you care about looking good?
2. Are there things you find yourself completely unable to do when there's music playing?
3. If you were to have your own island, how close to civilisation would you like it to be?
1. I kind of miss being thin and pretty, but mostly, I just wish I didn't look so tired and slightly seedy.
2. Actually, I only have trouble with music when there are other things going on around me that are making my headspace foggy. then I might turn the music down, or off if that doesn't work. Otherwise, I prefer to work with music on. And that goes for play, too. The best things... happen while you're dancing...
3. Depends on whether you're on the island with me, or still back in civilisation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
1. What is your number one fear right now?
2. What is your biggest wish right now?
3. What is your favourite song today?
1. Losing everything (including my mind).
2. To sell this book series I'm working on, and use the money from the sale to pay off my debts and get back to where I was four or five years ago, (financially at least).
3. The song for today is Somebody Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John.

Quote:
1. How many gadgets do you buy per year?
2. What is your weak spot?
3. What is the most horrible animal you know?
1. About four on average. This year it was Dawn's ebook reader, the external hard drive, my computer speakers, and my new motherboard/processor combo (IIRC).
2. Women.
3. I'm not a big animal lover, but I can't think of any species of animal that I genuinely think of as horrible... although I'm phobic of flying insects, and especially wasps. I don't consider that an opinion. It's an irrational fear, really.

Quote:
1. If you had to die right now, who would you like to be with you as you exhale your last breath?
2. I have a winning personality, awesome hobbies, and an absolutely perfect body. Why does no one want to daaate meee?
3. Do you find drunk people annoying?
1. You know exactly which three people I want at my death bed.
2. Ummm... can you step a little closer when you ask that?
3. Only when they're male, or really, really obnoxious (Which is sort of the same thing, in my estimation. Might explain why I don't date more men)

Quote:
1. ?
2. ?
3. ?
1. I vaguely remember that stuff.
2. Crap! He found me! *ducks and runs*
3. I still wish we'd had a professional photographer for our wedding. Poor Dawn wrestled for weeks with some really dark and dismal photos, and in the end, pretty much nothing worked. That chapel was far too dark for wedding photography.

1) Do older people showing more than a little affection towards you interest you in any way, or do they just creep you out?
2) Do you ever hear a song and think to yourself, "This song would be so much better with no lousy vocalists"?
3) Do you ever hear an instrumental piece and think, "This piece would be so much better with some great vocals"?
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #3343
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. Since I'm at a point in my life where most of my crushes are on older people, if they creep me out, it's for some reason other than age.
2. Often, especially if I don't like the singing style.
3. Not as often, but sometimes, I wonder how an a cappella version would sound. (My band has in fact performed an a cappella version of one of our instrumental tunes.)

---

1. Are there any singing styles you absolutely cannot stand, even if the melody and lyrics are pleasant to your ears?
2. You fall in love with someone and discover they were born the opposite sex. Is it a deal-breaker for you?
3. Under what circumstances is a "politically incorrect" joke funny to you? (Note that I don't particularly like the concept of "political correctness", but I can't think of a better word to use.)
Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #3344
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. Are there any singing styles you absolutely cannot stand, even if the melody and lyrics are pleasant to your ears?
2. You fall in love with someone and discover they were born the opposite sex. Is it a deal-breaker for you?
3. Under what circumstances is a "politically incorrect" joke funny to you? (Note that I don't particularly like the concept of "political correctness", but I can't think of a better word to use.)
1. Rap. I absolutely hate it. You can hardly call it music anyway IMO.
2. No. Why should it?
3. I don't know exactly what you mean, but here in NL we are busy forming a new gouvernment. Lots of jokes are being made about the process I'm sure. It's total chaos!

---

1. What or who would you like to see when you die? Please elaborate.
2. What or who would you like to see after you died? Please elaborate.
3. What are you afraid of: death or dying?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #3345
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'd like to answer Squinky's questions, as well. So here goes:

Squink
1. Probably the sort of more operatic singing; I appreciate the skill that must go into it, but it rarely does anything for me, though I'll admit I've not heard the full range. Other than that, I can appreciate most styles from scat (even if hearing people go "scoobedy ba baaa" may piss me off mildly), to rap, to borderline whispering, to screaming or gutteral snarls. And such and such.

2. If it was real love, probably not; but I can't know unless I'm actually in that situation.

3. I think jokes with a clear malice towards the subject matter would be politically incorrect; particularly if the subject were less able to stand up for themselves. If that makes sense.

ts aaaaayyyiiieeee
1. Something so funny that I die of laughter, probably. That's struck me as the best way to go.

2. In terms of afterlife, I'd like loads of heavens tailored for each individual collectively forming a huge hub heaven that would be inevitably flawed. Or something.

3. Death. I fear loved ones dying more than myself; I've lost sleep more times over the former(usually naively, to be honest, which shows that fear).
__

1. Do you ever 'visualise' music, or do similar with it?

2. How do these 'visualisations' or whatever change according to song/genre/album?

3. What does this make you visualise? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCtlpNfetQ (probably best to ignore the video, for the full effekt).
Old 09-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #3346
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
3. What does this make you visualise? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCtlpNfetQ (probably best to ignore the video, for the full effekt).
I don't know, but I like your taste in music. It sounds a lot like Yo La Tengo, who always make me think of mist on a cold autumn morning. But I guess that comes from a CD cover I once saw.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #3347

Quote:

2. How do these 'visualisations' or whatever change according to song/genre/album?

1. Not too often. And if i do make something out of it, it's subjective respresentation of what that song means to me rather than objective imagination of the melody.

2. Depends strictly on a song. Again, if somehow the whole album has emotional side to me i'll visualize all songs from it in a similar way. Guitar solos and harmonies tend to inspire me a lot also.

3. Somehow, it makes me think of a sea, or an island. But that could be also from the fact that i tend to watch a lot of Animal Planet lately.

------

1. Do you know good pizza dough recipe?

2. Your favourite strategy video game?

3. You have infinite amount of money to make an adventure game. In exactly 5 words, tell what the game would look like.

Last edited by diego; 09-02-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #3348
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

3. You have infinite amount of money to make an adventure game. In exactly 5 words, tell what the game would look like.
1. Although I worked in a bakery when I was at uni i've never made pizza dough. I've made pizza with a ready made base but that's about it.

2. It's difficult not to say Civilization in answer to this question, but if I couldn't say that then probably the original Age of Empires.

3. Gay-Bree-El Knight 4!

1. When was the last time you danced?

2. When was the last time you sang - loudly and not just to yourself?

3. What is the funniest TV program and/or film you have ever seen?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #3349
Lazy Bee

Quote:

1. I forced Mr J to dance with me on the cruise to Tallinn this summer.
2. It was when we had a party at work. Me and the district court judge on my division (we used to sing in the same choir) sang a drinking song for two voices.

3. I really like the Men in Black movies. They always make me laugh.

---------
1. Which body part do you find most attractive?
2. Which body part is the ugliest in your opinion?
3. What body part could you do without?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 AM   #3350
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
1. At my friends' wedding three Saturdays ago.
2. Last Saturday, at a gig.
3. I'm almost ashamed to say it, but probably Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Quote:
1. The brain. Seriously, nothing revs my engine quite like a soft, squishy brain. Rrrowr!
2. The large intestine. It's creepy, I tell you! Creepy!
3. I've heard the appendix is pretty useless.

---

1. When was the last time you had some kind of major surgery?
2. You have the rights to a classic adventure IP with a small but vocal fan base. How do you go about getting a sequel made?
3. Have you ever been at a place in your life where you were devoted to an ideology or fandom, but absolutely couldn't stand the majority (or at least a vocal minority) of your fellow devotees?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #3351
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
I don't know, but I like your taste in music. It sounds a lot like Yo La Tengo, who always make me think of mist on a cold autumn morning. But I guess that comes from a CD cover I once saw.
I love Yo La Tengo -- not many bands can pull off that kind of eclecticism over a period of around 20 years.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #3352
tsa
Playing character

Yep. They made stuff I find brilliant amongst stuff I really dislike. They're a brilliant band. I should have more from them.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #3353
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1) Do older people showing more than a little affection towards you interest you in any way, or do they just creep you out?
2) Do you ever hear a song and think to yourself, "This song would be so much better with no lousy vocalists"?
3) Do you ever hear an instrumental piece and think, "This piece would be so much better with some great vocals"?
1. Depends on how they smell.
2. Too often. I feel that way about a number of prog rock bands, for instance. Great music, but some really awful lyrics or vocals, sometimes.
3. This happens most often with my own music. I tend to like instrumental music pretty much as it is, but when I write music, I often think it needs lyrics, even when it doesn't.

Quote:
1. Throat screaming, that newish style of intense vocal performance used in some emo and metal bands. I don't actually buy music by bands that specialize in this particular form of aural assault, but a few bands I do listen to have dabbled in it, and it generally ruins the song for me, even if done in small doses. To me, it's kind of like those 80s hair bands that dabbled in rap, except that I actually like a bit of old school rap; whereas, throat screaming is just unpleasant and nasty. I can sing with distortion in my voice too, but the challenge is to make it sound like you've got it under control. That's what made songs like ' Travelin' Band' and ' Oh! Darling' (and to a lesser extent 'Get A Job') such hits for me in my old karaoke days. Also, it's nice to sing tricky numbers like ' Dream On' and make it to the end of the song without choking. That's real singing.
2. I'm bisexual and polyamorous. If I can't accept a man or woman because they used to be the other sex, I'm asking for more than I have a right to. So no, that would not be a deal breaker. I'll confess that a badly done operation might keep me from ever falling for someone, though.
3. Politically incorrect jokes might get a pained smile from me if I'm in a situation where I'm surrounded by several burly guys I have to work with for the rest of the day. However, I make it clear that I don't actually agree with them when they spout stupid crap. I can, however, listen to dirty jokes with little difficulty, because I'm basically a dirty old man myself.

Quote:
1. What or who would you like to see when you die? Please elaborate.
2. What or who would you like to see after you died? Please elaborate.
3. What are you afraid of: death or dying?
1. Um. I'd like to see my wife (Dawn), if we're still together. I'd like to see our friend Jenn Westerberg as well. And I'd like Deirdra Kiai to be there as well. I'd preferably like to see all three of them getting along. And it would be nice to see any children we may have had together, but not all at once.

Barring that, I'd like to see the ground approaching very quickly.
2. Philip K. Dick. I've got a feeling that cat and I have a lot in common.
3. Um. Neither. I'm afraid of living without meaning.

Quote:
1. Well, I'm not a video director, but I am an artist, so I do occasionally visualize scenarios while listening to particularly evocative music. I've even written scenes that involved pieces of music playing at the time.
2. I'm very narrative-based, so I tend to imagine stories to fit most of my music, whether I've seen the video or not. If I have seen the video, I sometimes imagine other scenarios that fit the story better (to my mind). Genre isn't really a factor.
3. I've got some Broken Social Scene around here, but I haven't really listened to it much. It's good, but it doesn't always get my synapses firing. As for visualizations, I picture driving through open country as a child with my maternal grandparents (both dead now) on our way to Coe Hill or some such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
1. No, but my wife does.
2. Used to be Age of Empires II. Currently it's City of Wonder, a flash game I play on Facebook, but I'm looking to retire from that and go back to playing Civilization or Age of Empires.
3. Metropolis Fallen, a modular serial.

Quote:
1. I break into dance sporadically at any given time. But the last time I recall really shaking my ass was at my wedding reception.
2. A few weeks ago, I went and jammed with an old school chum. He played guitar better than me, so I sang the songs he played. I can't say for sure if he was impressed, but he hasn't called to jam again.
3. I think my favourite comedy is still the movie Clue.

Quote:
1. Oh dear, do I have to choose just one? Well then, I guess it would have to be the face. I'd say the brain, but what I really love most is the mind, which isn't strictly speaking a body part. The brain is just a really fascinating piece of meat that houses the mind. The face is often what shows best what's happening inside that brain, though, and that's the part I like best.

Barring that, while I've always been an ass man, I've grown to really love a great set of boobs. I just love curvy women, especially if they have great smiles.

Quote:
1. When was the last time you had some kind of major surgery?
2. You have the rights to a classic adventure IP with a small but vocal fan base. How do you go about getting a sequel made?
3. Have you ever been at a place in your life where you were devoted to an ideology or fandom, but absolutely couldn't stand the majority (or at least a vocal minority) of your fellow devotees?
1. I had some surgery done to my nose a number of years ago when I was suffering from a sinus infection. Nothing cosmetic (I've always had a cute if slightly crooked nose); just the removal of some cartilage to supposedly clear my breathing passages. I may have to go have it done again.
2. As much as I would like to see some favourites of mine sequelized, I can't say I'd actually want to work on anyone else's IP. That just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather make something new.
3. I've felt that way a number of times. I feel that way about the Doctor Who fandom. I feel that way about most comicbook fandom. And I've felt that way for a while about adventure games. Some of the people I know here are very dear to me, but there are a significant number of adventure gamers whose tastes and demands do not jibe with mine, and it puts me at odds with them frequently. I've been on the outside looking in for a long time now.

I'd love to hear more than one answer for this:
1) If you were making a video game with practically limitless resources, but you knew it had to sell well to make the money back, what kind of game would you make?
(And I don't just mean sub genre; be specific and detailed, if you can. Describe it like you're pitching it to a gaming company.)
Assuming your game is green-lighted and you can get whomever you want:
2a) Who would you hire to compose the music for your game?
2b) Who would you hire to write the script?
2c) Who would you hire to do the art design?
3a) Who would you hire to play your leading man or lady?
3b) Who would you hire to play the supporting cast?

And no, I'm not looking to nick your ideas. I've got too many of my own not getting finished at the moment, thank you very much. Ask Deirdra about that.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #3354
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Um. I'd like to see my wife (Dawn), if we're still together. I'd like to see our friend Jenn Westerberg as well. And I'd like Deirdra Kiai to be there as well. I'd preferably like to see all three of them getting along. And it would be nice to see any children we may have had together, but not all at once.
I'd like to see that too -- all three of us getting along, that is -- but preferably before you die. I still maintain that any woman who manages to win your heart is someone worth getting to know.

Quote:
1) If you were making a video game with practically limitless resources, but you knew it had to sell well to make the money back, what kind of game would you make?
(And I don't just mean sub genre; be specific and detailed, if you can. Describe it like you're pitching it to a gaming company.)
1. I'd make a musical adventure game with themes similar to those explored in games I already make. I have no desire to work in an established money-making genre, nor do I have any desire to contract a game company to develop my game for me. Instead, I'd build a team as small as possible, with everyone on contract and working remotely... and spend the bulk of my "limitless resources" on marketing and publicity.
2. a) Myself, and performed by my band. b) Myself, with some consultation from Lee and other writer friends. c) Myself on overall design of look and feel, and artist friends who can work in an appropriately whimsical, abstract style taking care of specifics.
3. a+b) Depends on the part. Someone who can sing, obviously. Preferably people in lower-budget theatre roles, because I want to keep to a more or less indie aesthetic even though I have lots of money, but wouldn't be averse to someone like Idina Menzel. And I would give myself a cameo, at the very least.

---

Lee wants multiple answers, so have at it!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #3355
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
I'd love to hear more than one answer for this:
1. Realistically, if I wanted to make money the two main types of genre are likely FPS and casual. However, an FPS would have to be the best of the best to make money (and I don't like them!) so I would likely go casual, cheap to make and therefore easier to make back the money!

More specifically, I would go for a tower defense type game in the same vein as plants vs zombies. However, I would go for a boyz vs girlz theme with two separate playable campaigns, defending as each of the sexes! Instead of plants spitting seeds it would be stereotypical girls and boys of different types attacking with make up, football, snoring and nagging etc! Change up the screen and interface, simple graphics & sounds, upgradeable bits and bobs... you can probably work out the rest.

2a) & b) I would probably do this myself.
2c) I would hire someone whose art style is clean and simple and not too expensive! Any offers?!

3a) & b) I doubt very much there would be any voice acting (or other) to necessitate actors.

I'll leave Lee's questions up there for someone else to answer.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #3356
Unreliable Narrator

I feel like posting new questions. It's not like anyone's stopping anyone from answering old ones, anyhow.

---

1. Do love and money ever mix well together?
2. If gender differences are as innate as everyone says they are, why are little boys constantly harassed when they want to wear princess dresses?
3. If you're assigned a task at work you don't know how to do, how do you go about figuring out how to do it?
Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #3357
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
1. Do love and money ever mix well together?
2. If gender differences are as innate as everyone says they are, why are little boys constantly harassed when they want to wear princess dresses?
3. If you're assigned a task at work you don't know how to do, how do you go about figuring out how to do it?
1. I think they can do, but it depends on your attitude to both. This is the same when taking one in isolation. I'm lucky enough to have love and be married, but even with a mere 5 years experience I know it takes a lot of hard work and compromise to keep that love going.

I don't really have much money, but I know people who do, and people can have good and bad (successful/unsuccessful?) attitudes to and relationships with money. To find two people who are good at both, not impossible, but I think more often that not, unlikely.

2. It depends on what you mean by gender differences. Clearly there are some (i.e. physical) that are obvious and innate, but others such as some personality traits, may be more common to one but not exclusive to it. I suppose it comes down to people's perception of what each gender is "meant" to be.

3. Have a go myself, but If I can't get it then ask someone for help. Experience has taught me this is much the better route then just messing it up myself and really it is only pride that speaks otherwise.

1. Which do you prefer as an art form; dance, painting or sculpture?

2. Are there any personality traits you have that you can see you inherited from parents or others etc?

3. What is the one thing about you you wouldn't want to pass on to your children (hypothetical or real children!).
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #3358
Flower bower bird

Quote:
1. Which do you prefer as an art form; dance, painting or sculpture?

2. Are there any personality traits you have that you can see you inherited from parents or others etc?

3. What is the one thing about you you wouldn't want to pass on to your children (hypothetical or real children!).
1. I really enjoy all the arts and have favorites in each area, but sculpture has the edge for me, especially after seeing Michaelangelo's David at the Galleria dell'Accademia in Florence many years ago. It took my breath away.

2. It's probably a combination of nature and nurture, but I have many of my mom's artistic abilities, especially her sense of color and composition, and, unfortunately, I also acquired her perfectionistic streak. The more outgoing aspects of my personality, which led to teaching and a love of performing, are definitely from my father's side, as is my tendency to open mouth and insert foot.

3. I never had kids, but cystic fibrosis runs in my family, and that's something I wouldn't have wanted to pass on to them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 - What are some things that bring you comfort in times of stress?
2 - With what famous person would you like to spend an afternoon, and what would you discuss with them?
3 - Have you ever met someone famous? What were the circumstances?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:50 AM   #3359
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
as is my tendency to open mouth and insert foot.
That really made me laugh!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #3360
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
1 - What are some things that bring you comfort in times of stress?
2 - With what famous person would you like to spend an afternoon, and what would you discuss with them?
3 - Have you ever met someone famous? What were the circumstances?
1.I love Sudokus (spelling?) and they do make me focus and leave the stressful events behind. I also watch S.T episodes when feeling stressed out. It makes me shut out 'real life' for a while and that cools me down.
2. I cant' think of anyone right now.
3. When I was in my teens I once met Suzi Quatro when my school class was in the audience of a TV show. I was a big fan and was quite thrilled about meeting her in person.
About ten years ago my hubby was staying at a hotel in business and met Mikael Nyqvist in the hotel sauna. They chatted a little and my hubby recognized him as an actor and mentioned it to me when he came home. Mikael Nyqvist wasn't particularly famous even in Sweden at that time, today I guess he's famous even outside Sweden.

--------------
I pass Lady Kestrel's excellent questions on. I'd love to read about other forumite's meetings with famous people.