You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #821
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Does that mean that the accent of the police woman Marge (Frances McDormand who was brilliant btw) actually is the accent of Minnesotans? She said that Swedish sounding Jaaa every now and then which of course made me laugh.
There are a LOT of Swedish immigrants in the Minnesota-Wisconsin area
Old 02-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #822
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
There are a LOT of Swedish immigrants in the Minnesota-Wisconsin area
I know. During the 19th century lots of people left for America because of the bad economic situation they had here.
Apparently I've got some distant relatives in Minnesota as well, but I've never met them although they came to one of the big reunions the family on my mother's side had some years ago.

Anyway. I just never thought that there would be anything left of Swedish language sounds in that area. So I assumed that the accent of Marge in Fargo was just a gimmick.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:44 AM   #823
It's Hard To Be Humble

I also hear a lot of the Minnesotan accent in the voice of Edie McClurg's portrayal of Grace (the secretary) in Ferris Beuller's Day Off. I had never realize this until I was in Minneapolis for about a half hour, and a woman working in a opticians store started talking to me and she sounded exactly like Grace. I heard this from at least one or two other women before my visit ended. Remarkable.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #824
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

After living elsewhere for about 7 years, and going back to Minnesota recently, I admit the differance in accent was a bit of a culture shock. Most people don't seem to know what Minnesota accents sound like, though, as I've been asked if I'm Irish.

The movie "Drop-Dead Gorgeous" and "A Prairie Home Companion" are excellent examples of a Minnesota accent, although the former movie isn't flattering to us at all.

Quote:
I know. During the 19th century lots of people left for America because of the bad economic situation they had here.
Apparently I've got some distant relatives in Minnesota as well, but I've never met them although they came to one of the big reunions the family on my mother's side had some years ago.

Anyway. I just never thought that there would be anything left of Swedish language sounds in that area. So I assumed that the accent of Marge in Fargo was just a gimmick.
My great-Grandmother came directly over from Sweden at about the turn of the century. As opposed to my great-Grandfather, who came over from Germany at the same time. From what I've heard, she was quite possibly the nicest person who ever walked the earth, and he was the opposite. Opposites attract, I guess. One thing I've never understood, though, is that her name was Ruth. Is Ruth a common Swedish name?

My great Ont (Note: this is a Minnesota accent joke on the word "aunt") went over to Sweden to find if there were any relatives there. Apparently, she had an ont and several cousins over there.

Last edited by Giligan; 02-23-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 PM   #825
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynsie View Post
Trep, honey, I'm glad to see that you quit that job. It was a go-nowhere job for you. Yes, it gave you income and some experience, but in a few months time you gained all you could from it. You couldn't grow there. And right now you need an environment where you can grow and be respected. You have much to offer, but when the bottom line is all that can be seen by the upper management, potential is ignored.

Open your wings and fly, my good friend - let no one and nothing hold you back!

Love, M
(((((Lynsie)))))

Ever the wise ol' fairygdmther [sic] that you are, yet I've known what you know. It was really simply a matter of time. I had been scouting other places all along, all the while suffering where I was. Even if I had made the most passionate effort to make my value known it would have been in vain, as the bureaucracy's ceiling would still impede me (as it does my now former director there). I was paid far less than I'm worth and the experience wasn't that deep, but it was the title that I was after, hopefully it'll help open a few better doors soon.

Thanks for the warmth, mon ami.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 PM   #826
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
My great-Grandmother came directly over from Sweden at about the turn of the century.
Just out of curiosity, have you got any idea from where in Sweden she was?
Quote:
One thing I've never understood, though, is that her name was Ruth. Is Ruth a common Swedish name?
Since it's a biblical name I guess it's common all over the Christian world. Today it's a fairly common name for elderly women (I haven't met any kid-Rut in all my years as a teacher) although here the spelling is Rut.

Last edited by Jelena; 02-23-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-23-2007, 02:16 PM   #827
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

I've no idea, I'm afraid.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #828
Lovable rogue

I saw a guy today who looked like the Stay Puft Man.

Luckily I didn't make the connection until later on, else I wouldn't have been able to control my laughter around him.

I'm just picturing him in a little sailor hat now.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 02-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #829
Super Moderator

Oh dear, I'll bet that was funny.

I was just thinking about the Stay Puft Man when I was reading the Seven Wonders thread. I thought about the Statue of Liberty and then I thought about Ghostbusters and then I thought about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (and I sound like a 5 year old...)
Old 02-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #830
merely human

Damn these beautiful German men!! Damn them!

samsie
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 PM   #831
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
I was just thinking about the Stay Puft Man when I was reading the Seven Wonders thread. I thought about the Statue of Liberty and then I thought about Ghostbusters and then I thought about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (and I sound like a 5 year old...)
"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."
Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #832
Creepy Father Figure

Don't cross the streams, it would be bad.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #833
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep
Damn these beautiful German men!! Damn them!

they want your number
Old 02-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #834
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Dear AG blog,

I'm worried about my mum. I last heard of her on Friday, and tried to reach her on Saturday between 19:00 and 20:00, and the same now. Normally, I always reach her during that timeframe, and now I've been unable to reach her twice in a row. The odds just seem pretty low. She's always so paranoid that she'll hurt herself and no one will notice - I'm scared that that's what happened, in which case I'm probably too late to do anything, even if I had any sort of clue as to what to do now.

Her mobile number seems to have expired too, which has made things more complicated, as it means the only way I can contact her is by landline or by eMail, short of driving up to St. Peter Ording to check (or the even more ridiculous snail mail) - so I've sent her an eMail asking for a sign of life, but obviously I would give her a day to respond to that, which is Yet Another Day.

Equally, I'm not sure if it's ridiculous to hop straight into the car and drive up there and knock on the door just because of those two incidents?

Meep.

Kind regards,
- Neike Taika-Tessaro / pinkgothic
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 02-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #835
Lovable rogue

Can't you call a neighbour, and get them to check on her?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #836
Lazy Bee

^that's what I was thinking too. Most people are happy to help out and it'll give you some ease of mind to know your mum's all right.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #837
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I don't know the number of the neighbour. Which is ironic, really, but explained (albeit a bit bizarrely) due to my mum's plan that either the neighbour is taking care of her, or me. Currently, the neighbours are there, and so I don't get daily eMails confirming that she's alive and well. So it's not like no one's watching over her... theoretically. The idea is that either I'm getting those eMails, or the neighbours call me if anything's happened.

Again - theoretically.

Unfortunately, I don't even know the surname of the neighbours (pure forgetfulness on my part ), otherwise I could just inquire the number. Gah.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Trademark Overuser™
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #838
merely human

pinksie, do this. Take at least a day off from work/school. Drive to your mum and see how she's doing. I trust she's okay but probably just out of it due to no emails and phonecalls from her. While you're at her place talk to her neighbour and get ALL their information (home phone, cell phone, email, etc.), and give them ALL of yours and your mum's (as gratitude for their care take them out to dinner or bring them flowers and treats whenever you visit). If she needs a new cell phone get her one and arrange it so that you can pay it regularly so she needn't worry (or forget) to pay it. Instruct her to call you every two days at least so you'll know she's fine and in case she needs anything.

Does she have a nurse or personal assistant? Does she need one? When my dad was alive it was arranged so that a nurse came at least once a week or two to check up on him. Nanay was here of course and it helped her a lot, but essentially Nanay was the 24 hour personal assistant for Dad.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #839
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Trep - thanks bunches for your help!

...but, symptomatic of the way my mind works, the moment I say I can't remember a name, promptly, five minutes later, I remember it. I called directory assistance, and got the number - and I now know everything's fine.

I've written both the surname and the number down in my phonebook now, so I won't possibly misplace it. (It's a digital phonebook with about ten backups)

Trademark Overuser™
Old 02-26-2007, 05:13 PM   #840
Creepy Father Figure

Hey Pinky is it hard to get the authorities to take a drive by and see if she's okay? I had to do that several times with my grandmother (She lived like 700 miles away)