You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #1021
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

What are you going to plant, Jelena?
(I like anything that grows from a bulb or tuber, but Paperwhite Narcissus and Cannas are personal favorites.
Four-o-clocks are nice too, because even though they're annuals they will re-seed themselves and come back every year.)

Share the love.

<3
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 AM   #1022
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena
My flowerbeds are mainly soil right now since what I did was to remove a lot of old plants which had tons of weed roots in them. Now I've dug deep and replaced the soil with fresh soil without any weeds. I'll plant some flowers when the temperature allows it.
It’s nice that you can garden, I tried to have a garden one time, and it failed miserably. I’ll leave the growing to everyone else and just admire their work.

Quote:
Suddenly she runs out on the street and start barking at two dogs that were passing with their elderly owner that I chat with almost daily. A nice old man who owns two (elderly) dogs which he uses or used, I'm not sure, for hunting.
What upset me so much is that Jaffa reacted aggressively. I've never seen her like that before. And as much as I understand that she wanted to tell those old barking dogs off when they were close to her turf, I don't like that she actually attacked.
I thought about you and your dog last night, you know she might sense that the dogs are getting older and she might be trying to show dominance over them. I could be way out in left field about all of that, I’m just trying to relate her with my dog. We had a neighborhood dog “Dudley” that everyone took care of and feed, his owners took him for shots and that was about it. But when we moved into the neighborhood he would come over and my dog Bull would play with him. Once Bull got older he would try and challenge Dudley and Dudley would put him in his place, like a pecking order so to speak. That maybe all that is happening with your dog, she has gotten a little older and she sees those dogs in her area and she’s telling those dogs that she is in control.

I know that you don’t like to see her react like that but she was doing what she thought was best to protect her house and her owner. My dog Bull is a loving dog like Jaffa, but if he feels like someone is coming to close to the house that shouldn’t be there he will chase after them as well. She is protecting you the same way that protect her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage
(I like anything that grows from a bulb or tuber, but Paperwhite Narcissus and Cannas are personal favorites.
My favorites are lilies; I love all kinds of lilies

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #1023
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Four-o-clocks are nice too, because even though they're annuals they will re-seed themselves and come back every year.)
I haven't decided all of it yet, but I think there'll be some sedum-plants to cover the ground, Marigolds and my favourites: Sunrise orange with Eye

Most of my flowerbeds have perennial plants that pretty much take care of them selves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
That maybe all that is happening with your dog, she has gotten a little older and she sees those dogs in her area and she’s telling those dogs that she is in control.

I know that you don’t like to see her react like that but she was doing what she thought was best to protect her house and her owner. My dog Bull is a loving dog like Jaffa, but if he feels like someone is coming to close to the house that shouldn’t be there he will chase after them as well. She is protecting you the same way that protect her.
Bulldog, I think and hope you are right about Jaffa's reaction. And since she's never got a chance to establish who's the dominante dog with those dogs it unfortunately had to come to this demonstration of power.
There are always lots of dogs passing our house while she's outside but since she "knows" them, there's never a problem.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #1024
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Bulldog, I think and hope you are right about Jaffa's reaction. And since she's never got a chance to establish who's the dominante dog with those dogs it unfortunately had to come to this demonstration of power.
There are always lots of dogs passing our house while she's outside but since she "knows" them, there's never a problem.
You said that the older man uses or used the dogs for hunting, maybe the dogs had a funny smell to them and it didn’t set well with Jaffa. I read somewhere that dogs can smell 5 times better then humans. It could be something as simple as that.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM   #1025
Creepy Father Figure

I love Salvias myself. Particularly wild ones. I used to have a huge bed of Salvia Coccinias in my front yard. And I love Buddlia or Butterfly bushes
Old 04-17-2007, 12:14 PM   #1026
Lazy Bee

I have this tiny herb garden (expr?) as well. I love to sit next to it since it's always full of butterflies and cute bumble bees. Hyssop and lavender are my favourites. They look great next to each other.

Paul: Do you have any pictures from your garden to share?
Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #1027
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

When I was a kid growing up we had a lot of sedum lining the path from street to the house. They were so pretty, with their tiny pink or purple flowers, but I loved the greenery as well, kinda gray green. We also had lily-of-the-valley growing there by the house in a shady spot - with their tiny white flowers all on one stem, and dark green leaves.

Do you grow mint in your herb garden? I did myself when in the Boston area, and made a batch of mint jelly with them.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #1028
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear AG Community Blog,

Exams start tomorrow. Instead of studying, I'm reading your old posts. They bring back memories. Damn, I miss Telltale.

Wish me luck,
Squinky (who needs it)
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #1029
merely human

Coit Tower, Nob Hill, San Francisco.

I don't think there's any other word I could use to describe my time here in the Bay Area besides 'marvelous'. I'll keep this short but sweet. K, my best friend/niece is a most exquisite host. I've been staying with her the past several days up here in Petaluma (1 hour north of S.F.). We've been bonding, pigging out, and laughing with each other til our tummies literally hurt from it. She's so jawdroppingly beautiful, the way she has grown, the way I'm constantly inspired by her. She's a work of art, a work in progress, a work of pure grace.

Tomorrow I'll finally get back into San Francisco. K will drive me into town where she, my other close friend J, and I will find some good cheap ethnic place to dine and then I'll stay for the rest of my holiday with J in Oakland, where I have access to the trains into the city.

On Friday I have a date with T, that tall blue-eyed Irish American independent filmmaker I've been corresponding with. He lives in Lower Haight. We will go tikki bar hopping around Union Square in downtown. T and I share a love for tikki places, modernist kitsch (he has a vintage white monkey doll), Lili Taylor, and bizarre sense of humour.

On Sunday I meet N, another correspondent, for dinner. I proposed Italian. N is a senior executive in the pharmaceutical business, and leads another life as a graffiti artist. He and I have been having some deep and rather profound conversations (he's into the writings of Genet, Rimbaud, and Proust, and we share passions for artist Laurie Anderson, european films, and the writings of Anais Nin). We're both INFJ types.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #1030
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairygdmther View Post
Do you grow mint in your herb garden? I did myself when in the Boston area, and made a batch of mint jelly with them.
I have one kind of mint (catmint, not really a mint if you're picky) in there. I've planted it in a dug down bucket without bottom to prevent it from taking over the entire herb garden. Then I have Peppermints in pots. They will take over the entire spot if I plant them in the soil with or without bucket. I never use them in food though although homemade mint jelly sounds sophisticated.

@Squinky
Good Luck on your exams!
Old 04-18-2007, 05:00 AM   #1031
Second Degree Black Belt

Good luck on you exams Squinky

Old 04-18-2007, 07:24 AM   #1032
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Paul: Do you have any pictures from your garden to share?
I haven't gotten to plant a garden since we moved to Kentucky. I hate building anything like that on a rental property not because it's to hard but I cannot stand the thought of someone coming along and ripping it all up later. I'll have to dig one day through my old pictures and find my old Salvia patch. One of my guilty plants I always cherish also is lemon and chocolate mint. I love reaching down and crushing a few leaves just to smell them. Lemon mint is great in tea too!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #1033
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I have one kind of mint (catmint, not really a mint if you're picky) in there. I've planted it in a dug down bucket without bottom to prevent it from taking over the entire herb garden. Then I have Peppermints in pots. They will take over the entire spot if I plant them in the soil with or without bucket. I never use them in food though although homemade mint jelly sounds sophisticated.
I kept mine in pots as well - they sure do take over the whole garden! I don't have lamb very often, but I do use mint with it. Once I used a half a jar of mint jelly, that I melted down and put in the marinade for a leg of lamb. It was wonderful. I also like mint with my iced tea, even with the lemon I usually use. They go well together.

rlpw - I tried the lemon mint, but I wasn't very fond of it. It smelled nice, but had an off taste to it. It does go nice in a pot pourri, though, since it is so fragrant.

FGM
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #1034
Lovable rogue

Speaking of mint, who's for a round of Mojitos?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #1035
The Major Grubert.

I make a killer mojito...
Old 04-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #1036
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Thanks, ladies.

And nice to hear you're having a good time in the ol' Bay Area, Mr. H.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:19 PM   #1037
merely human

U.C. Berkeley

Oh, yeah. Thanks, LOL! Hope you do quite well with your exams, but I'm sure you will with your smarts.

Broadband's been inconsistent, of course, since I'm on the move; at least I can find pockets of free wi fi in the city. Currently staying at J's and will do so til I go back to L.A. (*sigh* I really don't want to go back, but the only reason I'm there is Nanay, and I've happy to be with her, she's happy where she is, so I'm fine with that). I was even scouting craigslist just now window shopping for a tiny little studio. There's one in the Mission district, one area I'd love to live in, for $800, with a little shared garden. Many of the affordable ones are in the Tenderloin, a rather seedy area just west of Union Square downtown. It's full of a great variety of people, from crazy homeless types who walk funny and talk to themselves, to the colourful old residents who've lived there for years thanks to rent control, the aggressive transvestites who strut around in the evenings, the Chinese and Vietnamese shop and restaurant owners, and the bewildered tourists who walked a little too far from the sites they were supposed to see.

Tonight I made us quiche Alsacienne with a side of green salad with vinaigrette, accompanied by a bottle of Zinfandel, and for dessert Ben & Jerry's 'Everything But The...' ice cream. Whoah fattening!

Tomorrow I go poke around U.C. Berkeley campus where J works and we'll meet for lunch before I head back into S.F. to meet T for tikki bar hopping.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-19-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #1038
Second Degree Black Belt

Glad to hear that you are having a good time Trep.... bring back pictures

Old 04-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #1039
Creepy Father Figure

Well, Trep, if you don't want Nanay anymore I could always take her home with me!
Old 04-22-2007, 12:42 AM   #1040
merely human

Unh uh uh. Not so fast, Mr. Housebreaker. You forget I'll be heading back home on Monday and she will definitely be needed.

Damn, though, two days after my return she flies off to Manila for two weeks. Who will cook for me? Hmmm....