You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #7641
Life and times of...

Also, however much you might be an action-man, it's not necessarily always the right solution. I think that your post is in its essence a very false syllogism. Bottling up doesn't lead to action, it leads to an explosion. And there is no guarantee that whatever action ensues, it is a positive action. I think this is in essence the conservatist male role - "men mustn't talk - men must do!"

As if they're exclusive towards each other...
Old 10-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #7642
It's Hard To Be Humble

Hmmn... colourful conversation...

Some time soon, I plan on releasing this in eBook form:

Is it as arresting as I think it is? Do you like darker fiction? Do you think this cover would inspire you to buy the book if you were into darker fiction? Do you even own an eReader yet?

Or am I just going potty from lack of funds?

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't write lots of horror stories, and I don't really class this book as horror stories either; I class them as supernatural suspense and psychological horror, mainly. They are sometimes quite brutal and other times rather creepy; they're mainly designed to give you a great sense of unease. I like the word 'macabre', which I think doesn't get enough usage these days.

When it's ready, I hope it will contain about 40,000 words or slightly more. I'll probably be selling it for $2.99 USD. This is NOT a pitch. Sure sounds like one, I'll admit. I'm actually curious to hear what you folks think about the cover, the concept, and even the price. I've got a number of eBooks I'm preparing for release over the next couple of months, and I'm kind of hungry for dialogue, but my social networking hasn't been getting me as much feedback as I suspect I need.

So I turn to you, ladies and gentlemen. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #7643
tsa
Playing character

At first I thought that it was just some paint smudges but then I saw the figure in the middle of it which makes it pretty cool IMO. But I'm not sure if such an abstract cover helps selling a book. I've never seen anything like that on a book cover before, and that probably has a reason. On the other hand, it certainly would make me stop and look at the book if I were to see it in a bookshop, whether online or in meatspace.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:56 AM   #7644
Life and times of...

Only problem I have is that the texts are a bit all over the place Though of course when it's in "proper book form" they will all be separate. But a long title like that might be difficult to read from down upwards. From a visual design point of view it works though.

As for the abstractness, well, I always like abstract, so I'd definitely at least see what it's about

As for your target group, I have no idea I'm have no idea what dark fiction fans are looking for...

So I take it these are poison pen letters from you?

(Edit): Oh, you could maybe fiddle with a bit darker colour schemes for the fonts and the gray in the middle/side. I think it could have a much darker feel. Honestly, before reading your description I wasn't sure if it was more a parody or actually dark. I felt it might've gone either ways... (But like I said, personally I really like the idea and design)
Old 11-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #7645
Stalker of Britain

Hammy-don't sweat it, I tell all my dirty little secrets about my life on here all the time. As long as you feel close to someone enough to tell them your secrets, it shouldn't matter if they're online or not.

In other news: Senior year is stressful, I'm taking the maximum credit hours plus Honor's Project, and I'm always feeling stressed. I've been getting headaches and nausea by the end of the evening. Can't wait for it to end, and then only have to worry about jobs and starting a family.

Question for my class: I'm making a "fake" website for my multimedia class, with html code and everything, and I'm doing it about gaming (general, not just adventures). What's a cool website title for a gaming website, you think?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 11-01-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #7646
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Hmmn... colourful conversation...

Some time soon, I plan on releasing this in eBook form:

Is it as arresting as I think it is? Do you like darker fiction? Do you think this cover would inspire you to buy the book if you were into darker fiction? Do you even own an eReader yet?

Or am I just going potty from lack of funds?

Anyway, in case anyone is wondering, no, I don't write lots of horror stories, and I don't really class this book as horror stories either; I class them as supernatural suspense and psychological horror, mainly. They are sometimes quite brutal and other times rather creepy; they're mainly designed to give you a great sense of unease. I like the word 'macabre', which I think doesn't get enough usage these days.

When it's ready, I hope it will contain about 40,000 words or slightly more. I'll probably be selling it for $2.99 USD. This is NOT a pitch. Sure sounds like one, I'll admit. I'm actually curious to hear what you folks think about the cover, the concept, and even the price. I've got a number of eBooks I'm preparing for release over the next couple of months, and I'm kind of hungry for dialogue, but my social networking hasn't been getting me as much feedback as I suspect I need.

So I turn to you, ladies and gentlemen. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I really like the cover; though my only really issue with it is the font for your name and for other parts of the text -- it strikes me as more 'wacky' than 'macabre'.

Otherwise, it's really great.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #7647
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
What's a cool website title for a gaming website, you think?
From the top of my head:
- Game Over
- The Happy Gamer
- Extra Life
- The End Boss
- Rapid Fire
Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #7648
Lovable rogue

Uncharted 3 didn't come today, despite me paying Amazon extra for delivery. Day ruined.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #7649
tsa
Playing character

Oh you poor Jatsie.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #7650
Stalker of Britain

Oooh, thanks tsa. I like the Game Over one. I might go with that, unless something else comes up.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #7651
tsa
Playing character

Hi Blogsie,

One of the structuresour little team made is on the front cover of Physical Review Letters this week. PRL is quite a prestigious physics Journal, and I am very proud. It took us 11 years but we made it! The article inside describes how the structure handles light that is generated by super tiny nanoparticles inside it.

Cheers, tsa
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #7652
Lazy Bee

tsa
Totally incomprehensible, but I'm very proud of you!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #7653
Stalker of Britain

Congrats! All way over my head, but still cool to know someone so smart!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #7654
Life and times of...

Why, even Gandalf is somewhat puzzled by all the science:

You can see him clearly stopping to think while he's reading the article...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #7655
Stalker of Britain

Dang it, that makes me want to watch "Lord of the Rings" now!

I'm supposed to be the LOTR fanatic of the family, and both my mom and brother knew something about it I had forgotten! xD
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 PM   #7656
tsa
Playing character

Am I the only one in the world who found the LOTR books as well as the films boring and uninspiring? I only saw part I of the movies and I didn't finish the book.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #7657
Psychonaut

I think the films are better than the books.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #7658
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Am I the only one in the world who found the LOTR books as well as the films boring and uninspiring? I only saw part I of the movies and I didn't finish the book.
Gaah! Blasphemy!!!

I consider The Lord of the Rings to be the best book I've ever read, and the films really nailed it (especially the extended versions).

But I can understand it's not for everyone. My girlfriend fell asleep when I tried to watch the first film with her.
Thankfully she's slowly warming up to the idea of reading the books. I'll have her start with The Hobbit.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #7659
tsa
Playing character

I found the book as well as the movies just like a computer game where the hero has to kill wave after wave of monsters. Never a dull moment, true, but so boring I am not surprised your GF fell asleep.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 AM   #7660
Filmfreak

If that's how you feel, then you're missing a whole lot of extra content. Tolkien really took the time to flesh out the entire world of Middle Earth, to deepen the entire mythology.

I'm most impressed with the way he created an entire world filled with mostly non-cardboard characters, and how he even gave each race its own language, history, calendar, etc. Heck, the main characters even had their entire family tree contained in the book's appendices.

The Lord of the Rings is a lot more than just "and then the fellowship fought this horde of goblins, and when they defeated them, they faced this horde of orcs".
This becomes a lot clearer in the extended versions of the movies (because the extra 20-45 minutes per film contain practically zero battle footage).

But you don't have to take my word for it, I'm somewhat of a fanboy regarding this topic.

And to say that Tolkien mainly wrote the books to have some backdrop for the two entirely new languages he invented (which became the Elven and Dwarven languages - both very much grammatically correct and with a pretty extensive vocabulary). An out-of-control pet project as a linguistics expert, basically...