You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58
Default Text parser game

Inspired from the text parser love thread.....

Pretend this is a text parser and input your commands. I'll respond as a sierra/infocom game would. This could be fun.....

-----------------------

You are sitting at your desk in a old office building. Twiddling your thumbs, you wait for the clock to strike 6:00 so you can head to the bar.

>
Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Club a seal or two

> open drawer
Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
Sierra Junkie

You open the drawer only and see your wallet, a Mars bar and your unsigned letter of resignation. You've wanted to quit this job for months but haven't bothered to show the form to your supervisor yet.

The phone rings.

>
Old 03-15-2006, 04:47 AM   #4

oooh, this could be fun...especially with an intelligent "computer" on the other end...hmmm...what to type...

> commit suicide
Old 03-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I havn't actually played text games, besides trying to play leisure suit larry when I was much younger, but if I were to guess commands, I would have said:

>answer phone
(since I'm guessing you somehow will survive that suicide attempt)
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 AM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

If they thought of it at all text games could always come up with the response.

"Come on. It's not that bad"

Or the like.

Regardless, with such a wealth of stuff in the drawer its definitely about time for that classic command

> take all
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-15-2006, 05:58 AM   #7

No no no. We need a proper response to the command I issued before you people start issuing other commands! Sheesh! Play fair people. Now maybe we can have other people take over the role of the "computer" so that this moves along at a better pace, but seriously, lets at least do it right. Don't just ignore the command, play the part of the computer. Here, I'll do it for mine so we can pick it back up properly...

> commit suicide

You consider ending it all, but even though you hate your job, you don't want to die. At least not before lunch.

>

There, the computer has responded and now it awaits another command. NOW you can issue your commands. C'mon, I mean its just mean to issue commands before responding.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:01 AM   #8

Here, I'll slightly answer the other two commands as well, but I'll leave it open for others...

> take all

You consider shoving the entire desk into your pocket like the old Sierra games. Too bad this is the real world. You grab the contents of the drawer and cram them into your pockets.

Wallet taken.
Candy bar taken.
Letter of resignation taken.

The phone is still ringing.

> answer phone

You pick up the phone...

Someone else can pick up here, I don't want to overstep my place or anything. But seriously, we can't expect the original author to always be around to respond to commands. So I think we should all just respond to the previous command before issuing our own. But try no to respond to your own command. This makes it more of a community effort. However, before issuing a command, please PLEASE respond to the previous one. I think this could be a lot of fun to see what we come up with if its done properly.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
Sierra Junkie

Actually thats not a half bad idea....a new person answering each time would end up with very funny results
Old 03-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
Actually thats not a half bad idea....a new person answering each time would end up with very funny results
Yeah, thought it could give us some really neat results. Plus, I don't expect you to always be here reading the posting waiting for someone else to post I have no life and might be here a lot (mostly lurking) but seems other people tend to do things like go outside, or go to work. Never really understood that...

Regardless, you were the next to answer, so where is your response! The last command was answering the phone. C'mon And since you've agreed, go ahead and give your own command to after you respond. Might as well let you play too. It was your idea after all.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 AM   #11
Sierra Junkie

>answer phone

Its your mother. She rambles on and on about how you should leave Samantha (your wife) because she's not right for you, and how you STILL haven't quit that job to become a doctor. You are so whipped by your mother you have lash marks on your forehead.

>Tell mother to drop dead

Old 03-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
Freeware Co-ordinator

From the other end of the phone you hear a noise sort of like "Erk!" followed by a heavy thud. You can no longer hear your mother talking on the phone.

> Feel pangs of guilt

Cold Topic

Old 03-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #13

You consider feelin guilty for a bit, but then realize that it was quite a coincidence that she dropped dead from you simply willing it. Perhaps too much of a coincidence! Perhaps it was no coincidence at all. Perhaps you have this phenomenal power that you've never realized! The ability to will people dead!

Just then your annoyin co-worker Bob walks by your desk.

> will bob dead
Old 03-16-2006, 03:31 AM   #14

No dice.

Bob walks up and greets you with a slap on the back that threatens to shake your fillings loose.

"Hey there, pal," he begins, in the falsely enthusiastic tone of his that would irritate a saint to madness, "I have to go out to an early lunch. Seems the old ex-wife managed to track me down again, and I have to go meet with her lawyer. Say, I need to look poor. You don't mind if I borrow your jacket, do you? "

You cringe.

"Ahhh, just kidding, huh? Your car, now that might help give the impression I need!" He laughs wildly at his own joke, while giving you a playful punch in the shoulder certain to leave a bruise. "No, seriously," he says conspiratorially, "I really do need to go. You don't mind taking care of some things for me while I'm gone, do you? All you need to do is make a dozen copies of these papers, and leave a copy in front of each chair in the boardroom. OK? Hey thanks, you're the best."

Bob dashes off, leaving behind a stack of paperwork, a keyring, and the sense of sudden peace and quiet that always comes immediately after he leaves the room.

>take paperwork and keyring
Old 03-16-2006, 05:16 AM   #15
Freeware Co-ordinator

Peperwork : You pick up the enormous stack of paperwork
Keyring : Holding the enormous stack of paperwork prevents you picking up anything else.

> Throw paperwork at window

Cold Topic

Old 03-16-2006, 05:44 AM   #16

LOL!

You take a look at the paperwork and notice that its a proposal Bob has been working on for the past month. It's pretty important and his job might even depend on it. So you slyly open the window and casually toss them out with a look of smug glee on your face.

"So long Bob", you mutter to yourself.

> take keyring
Old 03-16-2006, 01:01 PM   #17
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

> take keyring
Taking the keyring you notice that the key attached belongs to the printer. But, since you have thrown the paperwork out the window, there's really no need to use the printer. Or is it?

>Walk towards printer
Old 03-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #18
Freeware Co-ordinator

As you approach the printer you notice that it appears to be one of the experimental combined prnter/fire-safes that Hewlett Packard launched 2 years ago to lacklustre mariket response. There is a large padlock on the outside of the printer that, if unlocked, would give you access to any secret goodies that are stored inside.

> Unlock printer

Cold Topic

Old 03-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #19
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

You unlock the printer. Inside you find a blue earring, what appears to be a lipstick holder, and a CD with "Purple Wanda From Mars" handwritten on the label.

> EXAMINE BLUE EARRING

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #20
merely human

> EXAMINE BLUE EARRING

You discover that the earring is an exquisite sapphire laid in white gold and from Cartier. Its mate is missing, but you slip it on anyway. You open the lipstick and apply the fine scarlet shade from Shiseido and in the process of looking at yourself in the mirror you accidentally bump the the CD, causing it to drop to the floor and you step on it and crack it. Ah well.

> Go out in drag
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien