You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recommendations on free/low-cost PDF editing software needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 05:52 PM   #1
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie
Default Recommendations on free/low-cost PDF editing software needed

Is there anyone on the forum who can suggest a way to turn a couple of Excel sheets with formulas and stuff into editable and saveable auto-calculating PDFs without having to pay an arm and a leg?

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 03-30-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Club a seal or two

You can try OpenOffice which is free. You can export text and spreadsheet docs into PDFs. I don't know if you can do "editable" PDFs with it though.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Diva of Death

Yeah, I already have OpenOffice, and if there's a way to create editable PDFs using it, I can't find it.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
Old 03-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Psychonaut

http://www.cutepdf.com/
Old 03-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Jen

I don't believe you can make a PDF that will work the way an Excel sheet does, at least not without a lot of trouble. Have you ever seen this done before? I think the best you could do would be make a PDF fill-in form that will calculate fields for you based on form data entered by the user, but for that you'd need some kind of PDF creator that will let you build forms in the first place. I have the full version Acrobat CS2, and even with that forms-building is quite the pain in the butt and would not be a viable alternative to Excel.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
Diva of Death

Jen: Well, I know I've seen PDFs where you can just plug in numbers into some text boxes on the form and the PDF auto-calculates results out into other text boxes.

I'm basically looking for some solution that will let me easily edit, save, and pass sheets full of formulas and info back and forth across the Net and have everyone have the same info. Instead I've got people using several different word processing programs, with said programs all saving the Excel file in different (barely compatible) ways.

I had thought it would be easier to use something like a PDF instead of having to force everyone to use the same program.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Old 03-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Jen

Yes, you can set up a PDF to do that, at least using Acrobat (I don't know about any of the free or cheap programs). I guess my best suggestion would be to look around and see what they do. My guess is they all include only the printer driver and none of the more advanced editing tools.

Besides Lucien's link, there is PDF995, PDF Creator, PDF4Free, and a whole host of others.

If the form you want to create is fairly simple, and a one-time-only setup, I'd be happy to do it for you. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you my email address.