You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Winter Olympics 2006 in Turin, Italy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #121
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius[SIZE=1
*And also because we without a doubt would win over you this time.[/SIZE]
Grrrrrrrrr
Old 02-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #122
Lazy Bee

Oops! We´re in the ice hocky final!!
Finland, will you join us??? Please!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #123

A Sweden Vs Finland hockey final will generate zero interest in the US. It's a good thing I don't own any GE stocks as NBC has been getting hammered on ratings. I've heard that it's off by more than 50% from the Slat Lake City and down by about 30% from Nagano.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #124
Roar?

We won Finland!
Old 02-24-2006, 12:58 PM   #125
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
A Sweden Vs Finland hockey final will generate zero interest in the US. It's a good thing I don't own any GE stocks as NBC has been getting hammered on ratings. I've heard that it's off by more than 50% from the Slat Lake City and down by about 30% from Nagano.
But I guess ice hockey Europe will be interested.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #126
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
Sasha Cohen always tanks in her long program.
Man I watched that. I have't felt so much for any Olympic performer as I did for Sasha last night. What I like about her is that she seems identifiable, and she just gets so nervous and pressured. I hope one day she'll over come her fears... and the artistry with which she approaches her craft, she works well with the music and more than that it felt like genuine emotions poured out before all to see.

I didn't really like Arakawa, she seemed emotionless and quite cold to me, even if she didn't fall (it was a pretty safe program compared to, say, Sasha's). I guess cleanness is more important though for most people...

I dunno, after last night I'd like to follow Sasha's career because I'm really intrigued by her...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #127
Lazy Bee

With only a few minutes left of the game Finland - Russia I hast to the computer to congratulate Finland. Wow, you really played the shirts off the Russian guys!!!!
See you in the final. I´m trembling already.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #128

**** yeah! I'm already beginning to celebrate Finland's victory on Sunday.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #129
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
A Sweden Vs Finland hockey final will generate zero interest in the US.
But then again everything doesn't evolve around Amerika, you know.

I couldn't be any happier than I am right now (well, I probably will be WHEN they win the final). Bloody hell this is awesome! Woohoo!!!

Russia might now have had the best day today, but then again Finland didn't let them have one either. With the silver medal in World Cup 2004 and now at least silver, but probably a gold medal, Finland is on top of the hockey world right now. I'm so hoping for gold now. Not only would it be Finland's first gold medal in these Olympic Games (we have 5 silver and 3 bronze medals so far), but also I would so like Teemu Selänne to finally win something big in hockey. The man is one of the best hockey players ever and he has never won a championship of any kind (well, except a Finnish championship back 1992, but that hardly counts). This way he could retire in style. And of course there are also a lot of other Finnish players that most likely won't be playing in the next Olympics, so for those players as well it would be especially awesome with an eight consecutive win in the finals.

Why can't it be Sunday already?!
Old 02-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #130
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
We won Finland!
Yeah, I hate you guys.

That was a really bad game from our team, nothing seemed to be working for us and you guys slaughtered us in the 6th end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
...but also I would so like Teemu Selänne to finally win something big in hockey. The man is one of the best hockey players ever and he has never won a championship of any kind (well, except a Finnish championship back 1992, but that hardly counts). This way he could retire in style. And of course there are also a lot of other Finnish players that most likely won't be playing in the next Olympics, so for those players as well it would be especially awesome with an eight consecutive win in the finals.
Yeah, I'm happy for Selänne and Numminen too.
Still, I have no idea why all the teams that Finland has played against in these Olympics have played such shitty games.

I know as well as anyone else that Niittymäki has played flawlessly, but still it's so appalling when all the teams, except Czech before that tackle, have played such crappy games against Finland. Everyone just shoots off the goal and not on the goal etc..

I do hope that we will win the gold on Sunday, but I really hope that Sweden can be the one team that puts up a fight against Finland. It's about the time that we will see some real hockey.

Btw, I lost a hell of a lot of money today, thanks to that Team Canada...

if I remember correctly, this is the first time that Finland has ever been in the Olympic finals. Erkka Westerlund has surely broken some records now, and before the Olympic games many were talking about sacking him because of the bad world championship games results that we had in 2005. They will never sack him after results such as these.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.

Last edited by Kolzig; 02-24-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #131
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
if I remember correctly, this is the first time that Finland has ever been in the Olympic finals.
You remember incorrectly, because we played in the finals in Calgary back in 1988. Don't remember who we played against, but we lost anyway.

Did some digging just for fun. We lost against the Soviet Union (surprise, surprise). Here are the silver medallists from 1988:

Jarmo Myllys, Jukka Tammi, Teppo Numminen, Timo Blomqvist, Jyrki Lumme, Arto Ruotanen, Simo Saarinen, Kari Eloranta, Jukka Virtanen, Reijo Ruotsalainen Timo Susi, Kai Suikkanen, Jari Torkki, Raimo Helminen, Iiro Järvi, Erkki Laine, Pekka Tuomisto, Janne Ojanen, Erkki Lehtonen, Reijo Mikkolainen, Esa Keskinen, Kari Laitinen

Numminen is playing now also and is still as great a defenseman as ever.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #132
Roar?

There are a lot of hottt men on that Finnish hockey team.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:03 AM   #133
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
I didn't really like Arakawa, she seemed emotionless and quite cold to me, even if she didn't fall (it was a pretty safe program compared to, say, Sasha's). I guess cleanness is more important though for most people.
Interesting how different you react. In my opinion Arakawa showed the most emotion, vulnerability, grace and skill of them all. She was absolutely the number one for me.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:49 AM   #134

Bob de Jong got gold on the 10KM track, beat Chad Hedrick by 4 seconds Plus Carl Verheijen got the Bronze! Oooh yeah we're awesome
Old 02-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #135

Old 02-25-2006, 01:00 PM   #136
Lazy Bee

Aaawwww! Aren´t you jealous that Sweden has 6 gold, 2 silver and 5 bronze medals. Even scared that we´ll win tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:14 PM   #137
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsius
You remember incorrectly, because we played in the finals in Calgary back in 1988. Don't remember who we played against, but we lost anyway.

Did some digging just for fun. We lost against the Soviet Union (surprise, surprise).
But today Kalervo Kummola was interviewed in tv2 and he said something about that the whole hockey contest system was different in 1988 and that this is in a way our first time in Olympic finals. Did they play playoffs back then in 1988?
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #138
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Aaawwww! Aren´t you jealous that Sweden has 6 gold, 2 silver and 5 bronze medals. Even scared that we´ll win tomorrow.
Overall it hasn't been very good Games for us. We were close in getting gold medals in for example curling and ski jumping, but the margins are small and someone has to lose after all. So I'm in no way jealous. And quite frankly 13 medals for Sweden isn't anything overwhelming either. Definitely a good result, but nothing special IMHO.

And about being scared about loosing tomorrow? Oh please! As far as I'm concerned hell will freeze over before we lose that game.

Well, not really because everything can happen in sports after all. I've been reading Aftonbladet and Expressen (both Swedish newspapers for those that don't know) though and as always the articles are silly as hell. They are already congratulating Finland on our silver medal! The way Sweden has been playing so far I see no reason for the Swedes to become cocky in advance (might mostly be the journalists though). If Sweden would win then awesome for you, but however you look at it Finland is the favourite for the gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
But today Kalervo Kummola was interviewed in tv2 and he said something about that the whole hockey contest system was different in 1988 and that this is in a way our first time in Olympic finals. Did they play playoffs back then in 1988?
Possible. I have no idea, since I was like three years old back then.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 PM   #139
is not wierd

I'm having a problem on the http://www.nbcolympics.com site with their videos. They appear to be .wmv files and they're embedded streams. I have WMP 10 and I can't play the files. I basically just get the error message "The source filter for this file could not be loaded. (Error=80040241)" and upon searching for this error I don't really see anything that would work for embedded streams. The wierd thing is I can play the windows media files on every other website I've tried (Gamespot for instance) and I have Active X.....etc, and I don't know of any other codecs I can put on to see the Olympics videos. Have any of you run into this problem?
Old 02-26-2006, 02:14 AM   #140
Lazy Bee

MATTSIUS
I was refering to the immature picture that Spider Crusoe posted. It made me disappointed and angry since I like to keep the posts civil. I have nothing against Finland. I am so looking forward to meeting you guys and I´m sure both teams will put up a fight. Íf you look at my previous posts you can perfectly read my admiration for the Finnish team. And that I in no way like to "point finger and laugh" at other countries loss.
Sorry if I overreacted to IMHO an immature behaviour. I expected more from a Finn.