You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Winter Olympics 2006 in Turin, Italy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
I hope not, I betted against Finland.

I also lost money because Sweden won, so yay...
Good. I'm glad someone else is unhappy about the American team's loss.

Er, I mean, Kolzig, I'm sorry you lost your bet.

BTW, what's this I hear about Hasek being out of the Olympics. Is he hurt badly?
Old 02-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #82
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yeah he hurt his leg.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #83
Lazy Bee

Quote:
I hope not, I betted against Finland.
Unbelievable!

Quote:
I also lost money because Sweden won, so yay...
Well, you only have yourself to blame...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #84
The Reggienator

UNBELIAVABLE!

We just won Canada in Curling!!! Wth!
Markku Uusipaavalniemi, you are my hero!

We have a real chance to win even gold in Curling now.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #85

Quote:
UNBELIAVABLE!

That`s very good. We`re playing against you tomorrow. Only victory is good enough for us, if we`re going to reach the semifinal.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #86
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
I know, what? I'd rather have a gold watch.

The women's snowboard cross was the most exciting Winter Olympic sport ever, and what a final! I've never heard a commentator so excited. You tape-delayed American types should definitely watch if you get the chance!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:46 AM   #87
Lazy Bee

It feels a lot better now: Sweden - Latvia 6-1.
Still have my doubts about this team though. I don´t think they´ll go as far as our female team. (Wouldn´t put money on it though Kolzig)

What happened in the game Canada - Switzerland?? 0-2!!!!
I like it that the small countries can stand up to the big ones. Makes the tournament much more interesting.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #88
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
What happened in the game Canada - Switzerland?? 0-2!!!!
I like it that the small countries can stand up to the big ones. Makes the tournament much more interesting.
Yeah, it's definitely a good thing that the small hockey countries can put up a fight and even win.

So far I have a feeling that I might have been quite right with my assessments before the tournament. That is, Czech or Slovakia is going to win the whole thing.

Other people have talked about Canada and Russia as the obvious favourites, but I honestly don't think so. Canada has won all the major tournaments the last few years, so I don't think they have the, how should I put it, hunger for gold as the rest of the teams. Brodeur is also not the obvious #1 goalie this time and with the whole betting scandal and everything, odds are against them I think.

Russia on the other hand has an, as it seems, hot goalie in Nabokov, but on the other hand they don't have the strong defence and overall team spirit as some other countries. In fact the 1-0 win over Kazakstan shows that everything isn't as it should be in that team. 13 power plays and no goals don’t bode well for them.

Now I think that Czech might not be the winner either, because the loss of Hasek is an enormous loss to the team. Vokoun is a great goalie at times, but it seems he isn't in shape right now. Elias also got injured, so it doesn't look very good. I will wait and see how they play against Finland and Canada, before passing final judgement though.

So Slovakia is my tip right now. I'm very glad we don't have to meet them now because Hossa-Demitra-Gaborik is one hell of line that seems almost unstoppable right now.

Although I must confess that I am more confident now than earlier that Finland could at least get a medal and maybe even a gold one, who knows. It's all up to Niittymäki playing well and our power play continuing to be as awesome as it has been so far. The Finland-Czech game starting in half an hour is going to be exciting to say the least.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:26 PM   #89
The Reggienator

We won Norway today in Curling!
Oh man, we are on teh gold hunt!

Czech is kicking our asses in Ice Hockey right now... Finland-Czech 1-1 after 15 minutes.

Now we lead 2-1, but I must say that I hate hockey players like our Jarkko Ruutu, he tackled Jagr in such utterly stupid way that Jagr's head was busted open and blood started gushing out. That was a ******* stupid and totally unnecessary tackle.

Ok, now Czech tied the game, hmm...

----------------------

We won the game, but much of the outcome was because of that tackle, Czech's game was all messed up after the tackle. Antero Niittymäki played a great game, and so did Teemu Selänne. I'm not happy though we won.

Last edited by Kolzig; 02-18-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:36 PM   #90
Mostly absent

I agree that Jarkko Ruutu's tackle was a totally stupid thing to do. Ruutu is good at irritating the opponents so that they do something stupid and get penalties, but he's also like a ticking time bomb and sooner or later something will happen. In that sense Finland is taking a risk every time we have him on the ice.

I'm very glad that Finland won 4-2 and I do think we deserved it, because we played a great game, especially Niittymäki in the net and Selänne-Koivu-Lehtinen was as awesome as in the earlier games.
At the same time I must agree that Czech's game was a bit messed up when they lost Jagr. It goes to show how important he is to the team. It's not a nice feeling when winning this way.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #91

I'm excited for tomorrow's game against Canada. If Finland can defeat them, I'll be quite happy. They're showing podium potential.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #92
Lazy Bee

I only watched parts of the Finland- Czech game but happend to see bad boy Ruutu tackle Jagr. I thought I would ask you Finnish guys about it but you have already made your statements. I´m glad you reject his move.
Except for that, I understand (from what I´ve heard of the game) that Finland showed a lot of "sisu" and teamspirit.

And btw, Swedish women curling team are doing great!! They´ve only lost one game, looks like a gold hunt there as well!!
Old 02-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #93
Roar?

What in the hell? I just learned that there's no women's ski jumping in the Olympics, because as John Franco Kasper of the International Ski Federation put it, ""Don't forget, it's like jumping down from, let's say, about 2 meters on the ground about a thousand times a year, which seems not to be appropriate for ladies from a medical point of view.''

"Medical point of view"? "Ladies"? GRRR. I'll show him what a lady can do with a sledgehammer and his skull.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #94

Quote:
We won Norway today in Curling!
Oh man, we are on teh gold hunt!

With Sweden and Norway struggling to get to the semifinals, Finland may be the last hope of the Nordic countries.

If we don`t make it, I`m cheering for you guys in the final.
Old 02-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #95
The Reggienator

We won Italy today.

Just the match against Great Britain left anymore and after that victory we will be 1st in the Group.

Old 02-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #96
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD

With Sweden and Norway struggling to get to the semifinals, Finland may be the last hope of the Nordic countries.

If we don`t make it, I`m cheering for you guys in the final.
Our curling men are out. They were soooo disappointed! I believe in the Finnish team now. They seem really stable and cool.

Watch out for our ladies though as I´ve mentioned before!!!

Ice hockey:Sweden -USA 1-0 right now!!!

EDIT: Sweden wins 2-1!!
Goalkeeper Henrik L is great!

Last edited by Jelena; 02-19-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #97
The Reggienator

We won Great Britain! We won the whole damn group in Curling!

Old 02-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #98
Psychonaut

You got lucky
Old 02-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #99

sweet

Finland defeats Canada 2-0.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #100
Mostly absent

Speaking of winning, we just won 2-0 over Canada in hockey!! So now the World Cup final is avenged, HA!

I'm amazed by the way Niittymäki is playing. I got a bit worried when both Kiprusoff and Lehtonen had to stay outside the tournament, but it seems I worried for nothing. The width we have on the goalie position atm is astonishing.