You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Dc++

What can you tell me about this?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:36 PM   #2

That it works on and off, has a shitload of mislabeled files/stuff and is generally not that fast. I don't use it anymore, but perhaps things have gotten better lately.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I used the original DC for a while which was originally written in VB, then DC++ came, and was much faster. It was pretty pathetic in swarming and always behind the curve of technology in P2P. Hubs require you to share 20GB/40GB/60GB etc... and have a limited ammount of connections allowed. Not very fast protocol and no useful system in verifying files.

It was good for rare files, and if you can set up a hub with a few friends. It's not for beginners. I'd recommend eMule/Shareaza/BitTorrent(Mu-Torrent/ABC Bittorrent client/Azureus etc... there are a shit tonne of good clients).
Old 02-26-2006, 04:50 AM   #4

If you want to use bittorrent, Azureus is the client of choice for faster machines, and μTorrent if you want something that barely takes up more system memory and resources than Calculator or Notepad If you have one of those routers that have an extremely limited memory chip for NAT (network address translation) Tables (like most SMC, Linksys and D-Link modemrouters), and freeze up when they get saturated by bittorrent connections quickly, get BitSpirit - it's not the most stable, but it has a DSL anti-freeze option.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #5
Under pressure.

Thanks for the BitSpirit tip! I'm one of the unfortunates who has to reset his Linksys WRT54G router on daily basis, when downloading with μTorrent.

And I thought I bought something good with a Cisco label on it. The thing wasn't cheap either, at the time!

--Erwin
Old 02-26-2006, 06:21 AM   #6

No problem - I've been there. I had an SMC modemrouter that worked fine, then all of a sudden it started crapping out on me on an hourly basis, so after some extensive googling I found out it either must be that I was downloading a lot more, or the thing was broken. To be on the safe side I purchased a newer SMC modemrouter and thesame thing happened (d'oh!), so after hours of more googling I found a half-korean/half-english forum discussing the problem. I noticed the words BitSpirit and DSL anti-freeze was used a lot so I gave it a try and it worked, though I sill had to reset my router on a daily basis (heh, beats hourly). After much fuss I simply got a refund and bought a Draytek Vigor 2800G (mentioned on the same forum), and I haven't reset the thing in months now, even though I still run a lot of active torrents. I'm never going back to Linksys or SMC, that's for sure Linksys is a Cisco brand, but from what I've read on the net it doesn't really live up to it The Draytek was nearly 200 euros but I don't regret it for a minute, plus it's ADSL2-ready, so I hope I won't be needing another router for a long time
Old 02-26-2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Under pressure.

Yeah, the Cisco label made me buy it. I had a US Robotics before, which is a 3Com brand, and it was a 100 times better. I'd still use it if I didn't need WiFi.

--Erwin
Old 02-26-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Banned User

I use torrents already. I was just wondering about this.