You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Mothers Against Noise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
kamikaze hummingbirds

Default Mothers Against Noise

HAHA!!
Old 01-01-2006, 02:04 AM   #2
capsized.

Oh me gosh. Moms against rock'n'roll... Now that's gross.

(I love moms who MAKE noise)!!

Old 01-01-2006, 07:03 AM   #3
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Heh. Well, while I disagree with the moral accusations on that site (I'd bet money that's a parody site, although I have met people that odd before), I do agree with the assertion that heavy metal music is "noise". (Sorry, but I just can't stand listening to heavy metal music.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Heh. Well, while I disagree with the moral accusations on that site (I'd bet money that's a parody site, although I have met people that odd before)
On the website:

Quote:
10/20/2004 Metro Times " Earlier this year, when Wolf Eyes toured with Sonic Youth for three weeks, they met up with proof that they were doing something right in the form of M.A.N. — Mothers Against Noise — a group of middle-aged mothers picketing outside a California venue. Quote John Olson :“We pulled up to the venue in San Diego and there’s all these women outside with M.A.N signs. And (Sonic Youth’s) Thurston (Moore) was like, ‘That’s not for us, dude. That’s for you.’”
I'm afraid it's real.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #5
Diva of Death

I hate to break it to you, but just because someone claims something on a website, that doesn't make it true. I might be more impressed if they had a scan of the news article or a link or something of that ilk.

Edit: Ah, so they aren't just blowing smoke...

Metro Time News article

Too bad... humanity goes up several notches on the stupidity meter, then. I wouldn't mind these sorts of groups if they at least came off as intelligent, well-informed, eloquent folks.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
Old 01-01-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Too bad... humanity goes up several notches on the stupidity meter, then. I wouldn't mind these sorts of groups if they at least came off as intelligent, well-informed, eloquent folks.

Peace & Luv, Liz
I think you had your stupidity meter set too low in the first place. Bizarre as this sounds it didn't surprise me in the slightest.

Of course, an obvious question springs to mind here. While these mothers are out picketing rock bands, what are their kids doing? Sitting at home listening to this loud rock music? Playing violent video games? Doing any of those activities that people start protests about when they could be taking an active interest in looking after their kids welfare in a more hands-on way.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
Headbanger

Ha ha ha ha, that is unbelievably funny. I spilled my coffe when I read it because I laughed so much. This is the best joke I've read this year so far. But I recognise the lady in the picture on that page. I think I saw her at a concert I attended yesterday (my neck still hurts BTW but what a show it was ).
Old 01-01-2006, 05:00 PM   #8

The hysterical mommies seem to have a good taste - they have a lot of really neat bands on their list :-)
Old 01-01-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
capsized.

Quote:
I do agree with the assertion that heavy metal music is "noise". (Sorry, but I just can't stand listening to heavy metal music.)
That's a pretty vague term (and oh, don't people love their cute boxes). For years I was under the impression that all electronics music was cack. Because, you know.. there were all these awfully awful songs aired on radio and TV. I'm such an imbalanced person, I need it both. Noise and silence. Anger and love. I'm glad I do, since otherwise I would be missing out on MUCH. This website is hilarious indeed.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
Diva of Death

SadSam: Let me put it this way... most of the time when I've heard a song/band described as some variation on "metal", I've found it to be just... well... noise. Cacophonic noise.

On the rare occasions that I've actually liked a song from a "metal" band, it ends up being a song that fans complain about the band "trying to be mainstream". So, *shrug*. A box it may be, but I am not the one who defined it.

I base my opinions on personal experience, nothing more or less. When I hear metal music that I actually like I'll revise my opinion. (Though considering I hear metal music being blasted every day by my neighbors, people driving by, and people on the bus, and none of it catches my interest except to make me want to rip my ears off, I don't see that happening any time soon.)

If I'm in the mood for listening to something on the noisier side of the scale, I listen to techno or "electric" dance (which I generally like). But usually I prefer melodic things like barbershop, jazz, or showtunes.

Sometimes not liking something doesn't mean you're close-minded or prejudiced. Sometimes it just means you've tried it and you don't like it.

Peace & Luv, Liz

Old 01-01-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Grah! Grah!

I find jazz has a lot more dissonance and "noise" to offer than any metal I've heard (which has been banal, inoffensive wank more concerned with virtuosity than anything genuinely musical, although I'm open to the possibility of there being at least one interesting metal band somewhere.) But, if that site's not a joke, which I can't quite bring myself to believe, I weep. How Radiohead could be seen as a gateway to dissonance (technically I suppose all music has a degree of dissonance, speaking of which is there such a thing as cognitive consonance? how horrid...) anymore than any other blues based music (i.e. the entirety of blues, jazz and rock and roll) I can't comprehend.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:41 PM   #12
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
I find jazz has a lot more dissonance and "noise" to offer than any metal I've heard (which has been banal, inoffensive wank more concerned with virtuosity than anything genuinely musical, although I'm open to the possibility of there being at least one interesting metal band somewhere.)
That's what I meant. Three words: Dillinger. Escape. Plan. They're like jazz musicians showing those metal kids how to make some noise. Utterly complex, certainly brutally cacophonic noise, so certainly not for the faint of heart. They recorded an EP with Faith No More's Mike Patton a couple of years ago. And are still alive and kickin'. And there's much more where that's coming from.

Unlike adventure games (current adventure games, that is.. well most of them, anyway), it's a *cough* genre, that once it grew out of some retarded formulas (e.g. guys with long hair drinking beer and singing about Tolkienesque fantasy pap, tits, beer or whatever), paved the way for lots of different stuff. Diversity. And more than just same old, same old (with each new copy being a more and more watered down version of what has been done before, a vicious cycle) with a cliched wrapping. (But don't tell anyone).

Jeysie: Understood! Friends?

Last edited by samIamsad; 01-01-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
More slaw!!!

The site design and text content just scream, "Parody" to me. News article or no.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
capsized.

Yupp! (That said, I don't like metal. I really don't. What about... music? Yes, I do. ).

now playing: Björk - New world.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:33 AM   #15
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur
The site design and text content just scream, "Parody" to me. News article or no.
Yeah...

Though when it's that bad, it could even be real
Old 01-02-2006, 05:22 AM   #16

Amusing. Frightening, too, if it's real.
I love the inclusion of Radiohead among the other (mostly) unknown groups, and the explanations of said inclusion.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Sometimes not liking something doesn't mean you're close-minded or prejudiced. Sometimes it just means you've tried it and you don't like it.

Peace & Luv, Liz
Sure, but saying that it's noise is not the same thing as saying that you don't like it, no matter how many IMO, or "" you wrap around it.

Obviously, no music is "noise" any more more than another one.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 AM   #18
Chris Barraclough

Is there really a band called smegma??

How many 'mothers against' groups are there now, seems like a new one crops up every week. And yeah, their inclusion of Radiohead is dodgy at best. I feel so sorry for the kid who had his ipod nicked by his mum, poor bastard.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 AM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I'm a metal fan, more specifically, industrial metal. People generally don't like their music to be called noise, because it suggests that it is dissonance, which it definitely isn't. It also suggests that it's unwanted, which it isn't (to the people who are playing it). That it's unpleasant, which it isn't(to the people who are playing it). Noise is something you can be against, music is something you can dislike.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Is there really a band called smegma??

How many 'mothers against' groups are there now, seems like a new one crops up every week. And yeah, their inclusion of Radiohead is dodgy at best. I feel so sorry for the kid who had his ipod nicked by his mum, poor bastard.
With such a mom, he's probably a moron anyway.