You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Leisure Suit Larry and Al Lowe need your help on Kickstarter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Default Leisure Suit Larry and Al Lowe need your help on Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...rry-come-again
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

lol nice. Well I hope it succeeds. It is a pretty steep goal though.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Advie.1

Simply as much as i looove Larry but i had enough of Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.... Something new Mr.Al Please

Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Fulci lives

A remake?
I would rather have something new.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Schattenjäger

that much for a remake? Thats a mistake. What makes people donate to these is new games: not ports, remakes, or re-releases.
But im still enjoying this rain of kickstarters.. never know what to expect next.

EDIT: lol, regardless of my opinion, this series name could still be enough, because its rolling really strong right now.

Last edited by zane; 04-02-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Well, I never was a huge fan of the Larry games. Nevertheless, I did my modest part in helping the series return to its roots. I also would rather prefer a sequel to a remake. But this might be the first step to make this happen...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #7

"Please, no more kickstarter..." - my wallet.

J/K. This looks cool but I'll probably wait before I commit.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
We'll be making Leisure Suit Larry 1-7 and keeping you guys informed every step of the way. If this game is successful then we can bring you guys the rest of the Leisure Suit Larry games (and maybe even Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Case Of The Missing Floppies)!
Oh dear...how about something original and new? Publishers may be more interested in remakes, maybe because the risks are lower with them, but when you're doing a Kickstarter campaign you should appeal to what fans want the most: something new, something original! How many remakes will there be before we get a true successor to Larry 7? Remakes stand for stagnation.

I just don't think that this Kickstarter sounds as promising as many others did.

And when will there be a Toonstruck 2 Kickstarter?

Last edited by ozzie; 04-02-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #9

of course everyone wants something new....but for me who has only played love for sail this is an opportunity.since i haven't played anything below 7 and in most cases because they either look too old for my tastes or they are for older consoles.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #10

Well, I barely played them at all.
Mostly the VGA remake, but I didn't like it very much. And I started up Love for Sail once to see if it works on my machine. I planned to play more of it, still do, but overall I'm just not a big fan of them. I guess I pledged more out of loyalty for the genre...
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #11

Why the sudden change of plans? This remake was announced long before kickstarter got a massive popularity boost thanks to Tim Schafer and Brian Fargo. I very much doubt that crowd funding was among the options Replay Games could have in mind back then.

Also, I believe that asking fans for money to make a remake with modern graphics (and promising to give the similar treatment to the rest of the games in the series if they succeed) is not a very smart move on their part. If Replay Games wants to introduce the game to people who wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole if it didn't have modern graphics, then they shouldn't ask fans for money.

Also,
Quote:
If this game is successful then we can bring you guys the rest of the Leisure Suit Larry games (and maybe even Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Case Of The Missing Floppies)!
Notice "if this game is successful". Not the kickstarter campaign, but the game, meaning if they sell enough copies to consider it profitable, they will continue with the remakes and one day they may even consider making something new. Wo-hoo!

As much as I love Larry Laffer, I'm not terribly enthusiastic about this. In fact, I'm slightly annoyed and disappointed.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #12

I can't exactly say I'm enthusiastic about this either, despite the fact that I love the Larry games. I thought the Larry 1 remake was already going strong and would hopefully be released this year. If this were a Kickstarter for a new 3D Larry game, I'd be excited.

The graphics don't look particularly good (even the hardcore "2D only" adventure gamers have to admit that the animation in the short clips is severely lacking) and I hope that voice is not the final one used, as the acting was poor. This could fall really flat with everyone not viewing this with rose-colored nostalgia glasses if the humor is not sufficiently updated.

Anyway! I really hope this does work out, although I'm not crazy about having to wait like 10 years for a new Larry even IF all 6 re-releases are successful. This could also give me vindication on my opinion that Leisure Suit Larry is the most inherently valuable of all classic adventure game licenses.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Anyway! I really hope this does work out, although I'm not crazy about having to wait like 10 years for a new Larry even IF all 6 re-releases are successful. This could also give me vindication on my opinion that Leisure Suit Larry is the most inherently valuable of all classic adventure game licenses.
I'm not crazy about this prospect either and I can't imagine that Al and Josh, people known for their creativity, would prefer to spend the next 10 years doing the remakes instead of creating something new, given a choice. It's probably the rest of the company that wants to play it safe. Maybe we should approach them and tell what we actually want. They may convince enough nostalgic fans to part with their money this time, but unless they start listening to people, I don't think they'll succeed in the long run.

As for the rest of your post, I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #14

$15 to get an HD remake of a game with no mention, at least not that I saw, of the sequels if they get made as well? I realize Kickstarter isn't about just getting the reward and that it's not just a really far in advance pre-order. It seems odd though for a game that was already announced and, presumably, on track to be (re)made. Double Fine promised a brand new game that they hadn't even begun working on and a documentary at the same reward tier.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #15

There're several mistakes here:

- The game is being produced (remade) by anonymous team with Al Lowe (who is the one fans want) being merely a presenter.

- Nothing to show - the art consists of one background and couple of Larry sprites, which doesn't surpass the quality of Love for Sail. It can serve for a remake, but as it is, doesn't really stand among many fan-made free adventures.

- Kickstarter campaign had been chosen for a remake, rather than sequel. That's the first Kickstarter remake, as i know it.

HOWEVER - i don't think remaking old Larry games is bad idea - they're classics but might not be user-friendly to players who can't get into old interface. However, it would need tremendous work to bring the atmosphere of the originals (i don't think even Monkey Island remakes succeeded completely in that regard). It would need to look and sound as Love for Sail.

But i'm very glad to see another legend back, and Al Lowe being enthusiastic and i hope future will bring creative side of him

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #16

Post that is negative about it:

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/04/...n-the-catwalk/

I left a fairly detailed comment in response down below.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuntMonkey View Post
Post that is negative about it:

http://www.nohighscores.com/2012/04/...n-the-catwalk/

I left a fairly detailed comment in response down below.
Thank you, can't stand people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

I'm sorry... but Larry is probably one of the only franchises where I act like a giddy teenage girl responding to a vampire in Twilight taking their t-shirt off. It was my first exposure to adventure games, and Sierra, and has remained my favourite adventure series ever since.

This is something I've been waiting for since 1999 and I intend to give Al Lowe every cent I can scramble.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #18

Seriously, that article is so bad that it could only be written by someone who doesn't really like adventure games, or plays them casually and occasionally.

Post-Sierra Larry iterations are relevant as i was to make flash Star Wars game and call it part of the saga.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
HOWEVER - i don't think remaking old Larry games is bad idea - they're classics but might not be user-friendly to players who can't get into old interface. However, it would need tremendous work to bring the atmosphere of the originals (i don't think even Monkey Island remakes succeeded completely in that regard). It would need to look and sound as Love for Sail.
I don't think it's the gamers who can't get into the old interface that are the target of their campaign. Look at their kickstarter page, they surely don't go out of their way to explain what Larry is all about. And do you think that Replay Games, asking for the kind of money they're asking for, expect that people who never played Larry before (and who would welcome the new interface and graphics) would get THAT excited? The way I see it, they want to do a remake which will be appealing enough for the modern gamers to get into, and they want us fans to fund it.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
Simply as much as i looove Larry but i had enough of Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards.... Something new Mr.Al Please

This ^^^. 500k? They should have started at 300k. It may reach that for a new game, but not for a remake. Come on, Al! Not interested.