You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure most moving aventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
The scene in Gabriel Knight 3 where Gabriel has a nightmare and then climbs into bed with Grace and puts his amulet on her always moved me. I think its a combination of the music (which is incredible) plus the fact that, being the 3rd installment, we are invested in the characters of Grace and Gabe.
I haven't played any of the GK games (yet), but that already sounds moving just by hearing you describe it. Maybe because it reminds me of the "I had a bad dream"-scene in Unbreakable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Dreamfall is by far the most moving AG I've played so far. I got so completely invested in the story and the character in a way no other AG has done so far. Overclocked is a definite second. Mainly because the main character is so well crafted he really gets under your skin.
I absolutely LOVED the tragic scene where Wonkers the Watilla sits at the bed, waiting indefinitely for his friend to wake up. Especially since you only get to see that scene if you restored Wonkers' brain earlier in the game.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #22
cookie monster

I haven't played too many adventures yet and therefore my reply might be a bit shocking, but... I got really moved by Clover: A Curious Tale. I think its underappreciated gem, I read so much out of it.
And of course Star Sky was awesome! Maybe even more than Clover. To the Moon and Syberias are definately moving. Oh, and Limbo!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #23

GK series (especially Wolfgang in GK1)
Zork: Nemesis (felt quite sympathetic for the "villain")
Syberia I/II (bittersweet melancholy, loneliness)
Bad Mojo (the circumstances for the main characters were quite sad, really)
Heavy Rain (some deep, heavy emotion and motivation in this game)
Blackstone Chronicles (how awful asylums used to be)
Scratches (the story of the Blackwood family was quite tragic)

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
Stalker of Britain

Dreamfall, especially the ending few scenes, really moved me and almost made me cry, and it certainly had me throwing things at the screen, demanding the sequel; so I'd say "Dreamfall" is the most moving for me.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #25

The Whispered World in German. Especially the place with all the candelights and the remarks about his mother.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #26
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Hey EXt23

When you find "that" game let me know, will ya?

I'm not going to start "the debate" again, don't worry

But just quickly, for example:

I was actually pissed off at the end of Syberia 2.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
The most moving game for me was Zork Nemesis. The most moving moment was the end of Comer.
I kind of agree. But, other than myself, you're only the sixth person I know of that has actually played Comer. Makes us a fairly small sample.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #28

wow, great replies guys, thanks. i had no idea TLJ/dreamfall were considered such emotional games. now i know i REALLY have to play them!

same for bad mojo. as far i could tell i thought it was just some surrealist/experimental game without a whole lot of plot. guess i was wrong.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext23 View Post
wow, great replies guys, thanks. i had no idea TLJ/dreamfall were considered such emotional games. now i know i REALLY have to play them!
To my mind Dreamfall is a far more moving game than TLJ mainly because it's got much better developed characters. Still TLJ is a pretty great game as well and I do recommend playing it before Dreamfall even though they can be seen as two seperate stories. It just didn't move me as much as Dreamfall did.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #30
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
To my mind Dreamfall is a far more moving game than TLJ mainly because it's got much better developed characters. Still TLJ is a pretty great game as well and I do recommend playing it before Dreamfall even though they can be seen as two seperate stories. It just didn't move me as much as Dreamfall did.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #31

- Keepsake is full of melancholy from the get go

- Mourir en Mer (To Die at Sea) is a small little AGS game about a sick boy who wishes to see the sea before he dies.

- Eternally Us is another AGS game with a moving story from the popular AGS author

Old 03-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #32
Filmfreak

The mentioning of 'Comer' (a game I'd never heard of) by two different people made me put it on my list of games to play.
When I looked for info on it at Mobygames, I read that it was Myst-like. That made me take it off my list again...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #33
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I haven't played any of the GK games (yet),
*GASP* You better get on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I absolutely LOVED the tragic scene where Wonkers the Watilla sits at the bed, waiting indefinitely for his friend to wake up. Especially since you only get to see that scene if you restored Wonkers' brain earlier in the game.
Yes, everything with Wonkers moved me in the game.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #34
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
*GASP* You better get on that!
It's on my 'to do'-list. Right after I finish CoMI, EfMI, KQVI & KQVII. Oh, and Mass Effect 3. Let's not forget about Mass Effect 3...

Quote:
Yes, everything with Wonkers moved me in the game.
It's a nice touch by Ragnar Tørnquist to take Jack Angel as the voice-actor for Wonkers. He'd voiced Teddy in the movie Artificial Intelligence, a VERY similar character...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #35

I found "The last Window" to be very moving. I hope we see more games like that one made. I paid $60 for it and I'd pay it again.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
UnseenUniversity Graduate

GK2 for me... I really felt for one character in particular...
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #37

I don't know if we're including text adventure, but Photopia had me crying like a... like something that cries a lot. I was going to put crying like a girl but that's actually quite sexist.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #38
She Wants Revenge

Have to agree on Dreamfall. Wonkers is amazing, thinking about the ending still makes me tear up. Reminds me of "Jurassic Bark" episode of Futurama, which is such a tearjerker I'll never watch it again.

Also the factory segment is very moving and the last moments with Faith. I have a small daughter myself so it hit a spot.