Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   most moving aventure game? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30607-most-moving-aventure-game.html)

ext23 03-07-2012 07:14 PM

most moving aventure game?

first of all, hi, this is my first post.

been reading up on 'to the moon' after seeing glowing reviews all over the internet about the quality of the story, so i'm looking forwards to playing it.

now i'm wondering what the users of this forum would consider the most moving AG they have played. after all, that's what we love about adventure games!

we could be talking about character development, themes, or just how 'involving' it is. my personal favourite adventure is grim fangango, and whilst it's not 'moving,' it's incredibly detailed and immersive.

go!

aimless 03-07-2012 07:31 PM

Grim is my personal favorite, too. I didn't want to leave Manny and Meche and Glottis when it was over and I did feel emotional about it.

As for what I usually think of as a moving moment, the only one that comes to mind right now is the end of Syberia II when Kate watches the mammoths turn and move away. I didn't much care for Hans but the scene was beautiful.

Then there's Paradise, speaking of Sokal. The ending was unique in my experience and the most shocking I've ever seen. I really didn't expect that.

Oscar 03-07-2012 07:50 PM

A Mind Forever Voyaging is probably the one that moved me most, followed by Zork Nemesis and The Dig. You could add TLJ to that, I found the old woman at the end kept me glued to the screen.

Goldeneye 03-07-2012 09:50 PM

I think Dreamfall is pretty special

zobraks 03-07-2012 11:33 PM

Q: Why do people here think it's mandatory to open a new topic in order to make their first post?
A: Beats me.
(Nothing personal ext23, I'm just grumpy and I'm observing a trend at AGFs)

Oscar 03-08-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 602854)
Q: Why do people here think it's mandatory to open a new topic in order to make their first post?

The guy above you didn't.

Fien 03-08-2012 01:32 AM

I've played many games with one or more scenes which moved me. Like The Last Express, text adventure Trinity, Memento Mori (not a great game but that hospital scene was awesome), I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, Dreamfall, The Path.

And then there's a recent one that really got to me. Dear Esther. It is a love-it-or-hate-it thing. Hell, it's not even an adventure in the traditional sense but who cares when it touches a cord. I'll repeat what a reviewer said about another game: "It isn't much of a game but whatever it is, it's one hell of one of those".

I should go write about it in the Dear Esther thread... :shifty:

ext23 03-08-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 602854)
A: Beats me.
(Nothing personal ext23, I'm just grumpy and I'm observing a trend at AGFs)

dude chill out. it was a question that i wanted to ask and there wasn't already a thread that i could find (i did search). new threads are the lifeblood of forums, embrace it!

ext23 03-08-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 602858)
And then there's a recent one that really got to me. Dear Esther. It is a love-it-or-hate-it thing. Hell, it's not even an adventure in the traditional sense but who cares when it touches a cord. I'll repeat what a reviewer said about another game: "It isn't much of a game but whatever it is, it's one hell of one of those".

I should go write about it in the Dear Esther thread... :shifty:

yeah this looks interesting. how long does it take to play through?

Fien 03-08-2012 01:43 AM

Brace yourself... :D

It's a non-interactive, linear experience. If you look at evertything, enter every cave, take your time enjoying the view, perhaps two hours. Just follow the path and you will probably finish it in less than an hour. But if you're intrigued - some people are bored to tears - you will want to play it again. I played it three times.

Adventurere No.1 03-08-2012 02:08 AM

Woow, these Moments in this thread are really Moving :D

seriously ,Blade Runner was one of the great moving games and stories!

Jelena 03-08-2012 04:39 AM

For me it's the Syberia games. The atmosphere, the music and the truly original story all moved me to tears at times.

Nickalfieri 03-08-2012 04:46 AM

Theres only one!

Gemini rue...no arguments...! :D Its available at retail now....I bought 3 copies just to support the dev!

colpet 03-08-2012 05:11 AM

The most moving game for me was Zork Nemesis. The most moving moment was the end of Comer.

SpeedBo 03-08-2012 05:21 AM

Most moving.. hmm.. I'd have to say the Neverhood
You know the part where
Spoiler:
Bill falls/dies

It brought my little sister to tears

DustyShinigami 03-08-2012 06:27 AM

Dreamfall and the scene where Bruno
Spoiler:
sacrifices himself
in Broken Sword 3 are the only two that come to mind at the moment.

TimovieMan 03-08-2012 09:01 AM

By 'moving' I always think of games that made me cry at one point or another, preferably multiple times.

In that case, "To the Moon" wins hands down, with Dreamfall a distant second.

As for 'moving' in a more general sense, I'll add The Dig, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, Discworld Noir and Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney.

But "To the Moon" takes the crown!

Intense Degree 03-08-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyShinigami (Post 602907)
the scene where Bruno [SPOILER] in Broken Sword 3...

Agree.

Even with the horrible blocky 3d graphics the change of expression on George's face while walking out conveys a lot of emotion. Beautiful.

CoyoteAG 03-08-2012 09:52 AM

The scene in Gabriel Knight 3 where Gabriel has a nightmare and then climbs into bed with Grace and puts his amulet on her always moved me. I think its a combination of the music (which is incredible) plus the fact that, being the 3rd installment, we are invested in the characters of Grace and Gabe.

gray pierce 03-08-2012 09:52 AM

Dreamfall is by far the most moving AG I've played so far. I got so completely invested in the story and the character in a way no other AG has done so far. Overclocked is a definite second. Mainly because the main character is so well crafted he really gets under your skin.