You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The oldest gamer.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
No, your character never says anything, but it's more uncommon that they do than the opposite. Especially in games where you're not playing a specific character. Also, NPCs outside the nexus are also voice acted. And you've got side quests and your actions affect the world. The game uses a system it calls "World Tendency", and one called "Character Tendency". These are basically measurement systems for how much good or evil you've done in each area, and how good or evil you are. The areas, enemies and NPCs change accordingly, which can make a second play through completely different from the first. Also, you can open up new areas and passages using levers, keys, etc. I'd say you're able to affect the game world at least as much in DS as in NWN. .
Ok, now I feel I want to try it again. Not sure what it was before. Maybe because it all felt so lonely, just running around and none of the usual towns/cities to go to and interact with. You do realise that if I restart, I'll be constantly bugging you for help

Quote:
Ah, I've actually played through it a couple of times. It's a fun game, but it really didn't reach up there with BG and PT for me - I thought the story was a bit dull in comparison. I really enjoyed the expansions more than the main game, actually. Hehe! Also, got to love Deekin!

Quote:
Definitely disappointing, in two ways for my part: The worlds, which were so full of life and fantastic, were now gray and dull. And the other part was that it raised a lot of questions, and ended in a cliffhanger, leaving most of those questions unanswered. Without a sequel, it's kind of like playing Syberia I, and not Syberia II.
Yeah, after waiting for so long for Dreamfall, I really wanted it to live up to the hype. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
Also, wasn't too impressed with the interface - I know games and gameplay h ave to grow and improve, but for me, the point&click interface of TLJ was just right. I don't think it needed to be changed

I just thought of another game I'm looking forward to - if it ever comes to fruition. Its the sequel to what I believe is a very underrated game from the mid 90s. Omikron:The Nomad Soul, published by Quantic Dream.
It was an adventure/action hybrid with a soundtrack by David Bowie. A great game where you had the ability to jump into other bodies in order to solve puzzles. I dont think the reviews were that great but I enjoyed it immensely.
I see on Gamespot that a sequel is in the pipeline, but there has been no information for qa long time now - maybe its been cancelled
Old 02-26-2012, 06:29 AM   #22
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71 View Post
Oh man, I miss biking - I sold my Honda VFR400 when I came out here (although not a bike by your standards, its a sport bike which gave me hours of weekend fun)
At the moment I'm running around on some crappy 125cc bike - what we used to refer to as a "hairdryer" back in Lancaster....
I only started riding Harley's from 60 onwards prior to that it was sport bikes all the way as for the FVR400 I have ridden and raced this machine and it holds a rather special place in my biking memory

On a philosophical note Bikes are like gaming they become part of your DNA
Old 02-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #23
Stalker of Britain

I'm 22 at the moment, and I think I started about 8 or 9 years ago. My first adventure games were the Ages of Myst set I bought for 50 cents at a yard sale and Kings Quest 5 that my brother gave me for a present around the same time.

This was before I knew about walkthroughs, so I was stuck in the first part (Myst island and the town respectively).

When I got into gaming after this (and after I cheated and looked for a walkthrough) I stuck to adventures. It took me until about 2 years ago or so to broaden my horizons into new genres, and now I enjoy some good turn-based strategy and RPGs.

My first games that weren't adventures were Oregon Trail 2 and Rags to Riches on the Commodore 64.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Senior Passer-by

Deja vu?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, now I feel I want to try it again. Not sure what it was before. Maybe because it all felt so lonely, just running around and none of the usual towns/cities to go to and interact with. You do realise that if I restart, I'll be constantly bugging you for help
It can certainly feel lonely, especially in the beginning. But later you'll meet NPCs in various areas, some that are merchants, others that needs your help, etc. Also, it's definitely a difficult game, so it isn't for everyone. In one way, it reminds me of old side scrollers like the Castlevania games - if you die far into a level, or at the boss, you'll have to start all over at the beginning of the level! Ofcourse, some of the larger levels, like the first, has passages you can open as you get further, which makes it possible to take alternate and faster routes to get to where you were. Also, you will die. A lot. But that's part of the game. You will die less once you figure out how to play the game, though. Which shouldn't take too long.

Also, feel free to bug me if you need help! I'd be more than happy to! ^^

Quote:
Yeah, after waiting for so long for Dreamfall, I really wanted it to live up to the hype. Unfortunately that wasn't the case.
Also, wasn't too impressed with the interface - I know games and gameplay h ave to grow and improve, but for me, the point&click interface of TLJ was just right. I don't think it needed to be changed
I agree that the pointy clicky system of TLJ was preferrable to the "full control" system of Dreamfall, but I got used to it rather quickly so it didn't annoy me as much. But yeah, I would've preferred point and click. Not much is known about the sequel though, but you can read what is known at the Dreamfall Wikipiedia article if you haven't already.

Quote:
I just thought of another game I'm looking forward to - if it ever comes to fruition. Its the sequel to what I believe is a very underrated game from the mid 90s. Omikron:The Nomad Soul, published by Quantic Dream.
It was an adventure/action hybrid with a soundtrack by David Bowie. A great game where you had the ability to jump into other bodies in order to solve puzzles. I dont think the reviews were that great but I enjoyed it immensely.
I see on Gamespot that a sequel is in the pipeline, but there has been no information for qa long time now - maybe its been cancelled
Ah yes, I've actually been thinking about playing that game before, but had forgotten about it until you brought it up now! Now, excuse my constant use of Wikipedia(hehe), but it seems Omikron 2 was put on hold for the developers to work on Heavy Rain. Well, Heavy Rain's been out for some time now - perhaps they're working on it again? One can always hope.

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #26

I'll be 41 at the end of March and My first game console was Commodore 64 late 70's but cant recall the games I had but Ido remember the geography and math games.
Then I jumped on the Colico vision (donkey Kong, Zaxxon,Miner 249er)

Now I'm more into MGS types and Adventure games.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #27
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Ah yes, I've actually been thinking about playing that game before, but had forgotten about it until you brought it up now! Now, excuse my constant use of Wikipedia(hehe), but it seems Omikron 2 was put on hold for the developers to work on Heavy Rain. Well, Heavy Rain's been out for some time now - perhaps they're working on it again? One can always hope.
Of course, I'd forgotten about that.
Did you ever play the other Quantic Dream game, Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit)?
An adventure game with promise about the hunt for a serial killer but let down, I believe by the overuse of QT events. Even during conversations, you had a limited time to select the reply option you wanted. I really dont like that aspect of gameplay, especially in an adventure game, where you want to read all the options available to you and think about them before you make a choice.
Again, it was an enjoyable game but it could have been so much better if they had just given you more time to make your decisions.
I guess the devs were hoping that if we missed out on a conversation option, then we would go back and replay to see a different ending.
I for one, play adventure games for their story, so one playthrough is enough for me.

Saying that, I have played the GK games, TLJ and Grim Fandango numerous times - but they are special games in a class of their own
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #28
Easily amused

Well, I am an older gamer (53), but not in the sense that this thread implies.
Having said that, I am currently playing the Puzz3D games on my vintage Win95. It is working like a charm so far. Quicktime may be an issue; I'll have to wait to see if I can play the adventure part once the jigsaw is done.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #29
Codger

Turning 65 this year.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #30
Filmfreak

I'm 30.
I started playing video games when I was 6 (back in '87) when I got a Sega Master System.
I got my first PC when I was 12 and have been hooked on PC games ever since...

To be honest, my very first contact with video games came from a '70s console my dad had, which only played Pong. I presume it was one of those 'Home Pong'-thingies by Atari, but I was too young to remember much about it, so I can't be sure...

I've been a video gamer nearly all my life, and have no intention to ever stop playing video games. In fact, I think I've played more video games in the last 12 years than I did when I was a kid...
Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #31
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
To be honest, my very first contact with video games came from a '70s console my dad had, which only played Pong. I presume it was one of those 'Home Pong'-thingies by Atari, but I was too young to remember much about it, so I can't be sure...
If it was the early 70s, it's possible the console predated Atari. Fairchild came out with a console that played Pong and a card game. It cost over $400US. Think it lasted in the marketplace less than a year.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #32
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
If it was the early 70s, it's possible the console predated Atari. Fairchild came out with a console that played Pong and a card game. It cost over $400US. Think it lasted in the marketplace less than a year.
I doubt it. This would've been something my dad bought as a teenager, so it wouldn't have been overly expensive. Most likely it was something from the end of the '70s...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #33
Adventurer

Quote:
Of course, I'd forgotten about that.
Did you ever play the other Quantic Dream game, Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit)?
An adventure game with promise about the hunt for a serial killer but let down, I believe by the overuse of QT events. Even during conversations, you had a limited time to select the reply option you wanted. I really dont like that aspect of gameplay, especially in an adventure game, where you want to read all the options available to you and think about them before you make a choice.
Again, it was an enjoyable game but it could have been so much better if they had just given you more time to make your decisions.
I guess the devs were hoping that if we missed out on a conversation option, then we would go back and replay to see a different ending.
I for one, play adventure games for their story, so one playthrough is enough for me.

Saying that, I have played the GK games, TLJ and Grim Fandango numerous times - but they are special games in a class of their own
Oh yeah, I loved Fahrenheit when I played it! Years ago, though. But yeah, I really enjoyed that game.

I'm also of the sort that prefers one play through. I'm not that much in it for the gameplay itself, I'm in it for the story and sense of adventure.

I also have a few games I've played several times. TLJ, King's Field, Baldur's Gate 2, and some others that I can't think of at the moment. Grim Fandango only once, but I've been thinking about it lately. It's in my shelf, I might have to pop it into my computer's DVD-ROM soon.

Oh, the first GK I've played at least twice, I think. I thought the third was the best though, despite the graphics not being top notch, and the somewhat different controls. But, as with Dreamfall, I quickly got used to it. I just wish GK4 would come out - it's actually already written, has been for years, but it all depends on the one with the rights to the IP - and that is, sadly, not Jane Jensen herself.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #34
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Turning 65 this year.
You are running a close second my friend.......
Old 02-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #35
Adventurer

There are people on these boards that are much older than I thought there would be. Not bad, not bad at all.

Honestly, I didn't think there'd be anyone past the age of 45.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #36
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I doubt it. This would've been something my dad bought as a teenager, so it wouldn't have been overly expensive. Most likely it was something from the end of the '70s...
We had some sort of old console with cartridges... had pong on it. This would've been the late 70's early 80's - I think it's still around here somewhere. We still have the Commodore 64...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #37
Space Cadet

Jeez! I remember that console with pong I had one, your right late 70s Early 80s.....almost neolithic
Old 03-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #38
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Oh, the first GK I've played at least twice, I think. I thought the third was the best though, despite the graphics not being top notch, and the somewhat different controls. But, as with Dreamfall, I quickly got used to it. I just wish GK4 would come out - it's actually already written, has been for years, but it all depends on the one with the rights to the IP - and that is, sadly, not Jane Jensen herself.
I totally agree with you about GK3 - by far the best in the series. For me the control thing wasn't a p[roblem because GK3 was the first one I played, and then I discovered the other 2

That's good news (I think.....) about GK4. Lets just hope it will live up to our expectations.
I think I remember reading about the problem regarding rights to GK. I think the problem was that Sierra didnt want to relinquish their rights to the series, even though they had no intentions of producing another GK game. Its crazy - lets hope it eventually gets sorted out. I think I signed a petition about it years ago.