You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The oldest gamer.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Default The oldest gamer.....

After reading the "Who remembers your first game" post, I started thinking about how long I have been playing adventure games, and its a long, long time.
So, I'm interested in hearing aboutyour early gaming experiences. It doesnt matter if you started on a Sinclair ZX81 in 1980, or a quad core pc in 2010.

I'm a 40yr old english teacher and still love gaming as much as I did when I was a wide-eyed 10 yr old receiving his first ever computer. My students think I'm crazy for playing games at my age - somehow, it's an activity reserved for the young uns.
When I tell them I was playing games before they were born, they look at me like I belong in a mental asylum.....
Old 02-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
cookie monster

I started gaming casually somewhere mid 90s. I turned hardcore in Q4 2000 and since then have finished over 400 games. More than half of those are FPSes.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Thats quite interesting, i wonder how many of you guys are pure adventure gamers, and how many just like gaming?

I for one enjoy all kinds of gaming - BUT - there has to be a story, even in a FPS.

Some of my all time favourite non-adventure games are :
Call of Duty
Bioshock
Deus Ex

And then there's the RPG games
Planescape:Torment
Neverwinter Nights
Baldurs Gate
Vampire the Masquerade
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Space Cadet

It was the 80s for me, as a design engineer I was starting to see CAD emerge in a big way, and when I spotted an Amstrad 464 whilst Christmas shopping in the city centre I bought it.

This was the first Christmas(1984) I received software as presents one was ELITE(wire frame version) and the other was Gremlins hence my "do you remember"
post.

I celebrated my 66 birthday in January and several of my presents where software, Alter Ego and The Lost Crown, this now raises the question am I possibly the Oldest Gamer on this site??.......
Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Heh, yes I remember Elite, another one of my early games that helped me become addicted

I think you may possibly be one of the oldest, but, have you been playing the longest though?

Although I'm not the oldest, I have been gaming for a long time. Since maybe 1980 or 81 I think
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #6
Adventurer

@Manhunter: Dad..? No, seriously, you remind me way too much about myself. I'm 26 years old, studying to become an English teacher, and I enjoy all kinds of games, as long there's an interesting story in it. Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate are two of my all time favourite games, and I loved Bioshock.

My first gaming experiences were on the Sega Master System with Alex Kidd in Miracle World and on the NES with the Mario games, a football(soccer for you Americans ) game, The Legend of Zelda, a hockey game, Duck Hunt, and some others. But even then, at the age of probably seven or eight, the action adventure game Zelda was the game that I enjoyed the most.

A bit later I got to play King's Quest VI on my auntie's computer together with my brother, and that was magical.

We got a PS1 a short while after it came out, and played a lot of games on it. My cousin gave us a couple of games he didn't want anymore, and one of the games was King's Field, a first person action RPG with incredible atmosphere and a different type of story telling than what I'd encountered before. The King's Field series has become a huge favourite, and I've become rather obsessed with it, I must admit.

I'm currently playing the spiritual successor to King's Field, namely Demon's Souls, on the PS3. And I love it thus far! And I can't wait to start its spiritual successor, Dark Souls, which is supposedly even more like the King's Field games.

What got me really hooked on adventure games(especially of the pointy, clicky kind) though, was The Longest Journey. I remember seeing ads for the game in gaming magazines before release, and thinking, "wow, finally, a game from my country that looks interesting!"

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Space Cadet

@manhunter Yes you beat me by at least 3 years.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhog View Post
@manhunter Yes you beat me by at least 3 years.
Hehehee, really? You should be happy about that! Now you know you're not the oldest gamer here
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyra View Post
@Manhunter: Dad..? No, seriously, you remind me way too much about myself. I'm 26 years old, studying to become an English teacher, and I enjoy all kinds of games, as long there's an interesting story in it. Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate are two of my all time favourite games, and I loved Bioshock.
Hahahahaaa, really? You want to be an English teacher? Then let me start now by saying - DONT!!!
Its a very hard job, and unappreciated.
But I agree with you about the games - Planescvape:Torment has to be on of my all-time favourite RPGS(maybe even all-time fave games). The story is just so immersive - it draws me i nevery time I play it. And then there's the haunting music in the background, and the incredible voice acting. I just cant sing this game's praises too much

Quote:
We got a PS1 a short while after it came out, and played a lot of games on it. My cousin gave us a couple of games he didn't want anymore, and one of the games was King's Field, a first person action RPG with incredible atmosphere and a different type of story telling than what I'd encountered before. The King's Field series has become a huge favourite, and I've become rather obsessed with it, I must admit.

I'm currently playing the spiritual successor to King's Field, namely Demon's Souls, on the PS3. And I love it thus far! And I can't wait to start its spiritual successor, Dark Souls, which is supposedly even more like the King's Field games.
Hmm, Demon Souls? I'm still on the fence about that game. One thing that puts me off is the lack of voice acting/conversation. When I first got it, I was hoping it would be like a standard RPG - but I guess I didnt read the reviews properly.
Its fine as an action game, but there's nothing that really pulls you into the story.
If Dark Souls is the same, then I shan't be wasting my money on it...

Quote:
What got me really hooked on adventure games(especially of the pointy, clicky kind) though, was The Longest Journey. I remember seeing ads for the game in gaming magazines before release, and thinking, "wow, finally, a game from my country that looks interesting!"
I cant add anything about TLJ - One of, if not THE best adventure games ever, of all-time. Great, immersive story and world; a long adventure that keeps you up at night until you reach the end. I've replayed this game countless times, as I have Planescape.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #10
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71 View Post
Hehehee, really? You should be happy about that! Now you know you're not the oldest gamer here
Oops sorry, I misread your last post - you may well be the oldest gamer here.... sorry
Old 02-26-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
Space Cadet

Interesting to see you also dabble in the FPS genre, COD series & Bioshock
1&2 are among my all time favourites.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

You know, basically, I love gaming, wether its RPG, FPS or AG.

I cant be doing with this divide between gamers. Unfortunately, and quite embarrassingly, adventure gamers tend to be quite snobbish when it comes to games, and will constantly put down "mind-numbing shooters" as they like to call them.
But I guess its the same for FPS fans, who will say there's no challenge in adventure games, and its just like reading a book or watching a movie.

To me, games are games. I will always play the latest FPS game if I think its going to be fun, just like I will continue to play games like NWN or Dragon Age, or the latest adventure game

I'm just a gamer at heart and always will be
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
Adventurer

Quote:
Hahahahaaa, really? You want to be an English teacher? Then let me start now by saying - DONT!!!
Its a very hard job, and unappreciated.
Haha! Well, I do not doubt it. But I'll go for it, none the less.

Quote:
But I agree with you about the games - Planescvape:Torment has to be on of my all-time favourite RPGS(maybe even all-time fave games). The story is just so immersive - it draws me i nevery time I play it. And then there's the haunting music in the background, and the incredible voice acting. I just cant sing this game's praises too much
Oh, it is amazing! Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn + Throne of Bhaal expansion had been my absolute favourite game for years, and then I finally got around to playing Planescape Torment, which topped it!

Quote:
Hmm, Demon Souls? I'm still on the fence about that game. One thing that puts me off is the lack of voice acting/conversation. When I first got it, I was hoping it would be like a standard RPG - but I guess I didnt read the reviews properly.
Its fine as an action game, but there's nothing that really pulls you into the story.
If Dark Souls is the same, then I shan't be wasting my money on it...
Lack of voice acting? But everything is voice acted. And regarding it being an RPG, I'd say it's very classic RPG. Increase abilities(Strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc.), get equipment and other items, learn and memorize spells, defeat enemies to become stronger, and interact with NPCs for trading, story, and more. Also, I'm finding the story so far interesting - all the characters, their motivations, their part in the story, and what they have to reveal about what has happened... I'm enjoying it.

Quote:
I cant add anything about TLJ - One of, if not THE best adventure games ever, of all-time. Great, immersive story and world; a long adventure that keeps you up at night until you reach the end. I've replayed this game countless times, as I have Planescape.
Probably the game I've replayed the most times, too. It is quite simply fantastic! I do hope they'll release a sequel to Dreamfall soon, though. I know they got funding for it a couple of years back, but there's been no news about it. :/

Old 02-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:

Lack of voice acting? But everything is voice acted. And regarding it being an RPG, I'd say it's very classic RPG. Increase abilities(Strength, dexterity, intelligence, etc.), get equipment and other items, learn and memorize spells, defeat enemies to become stronger, and interact with NPCs for trading, story, and more. Also, I'm finding the story so far interesting - all the characters, their motivations, their part in the story, and what they have to reveal about what has happened... I'm enjoying it.

Probably the game I've replayed the most times, too. It is quite simply fantastic! I do hope they'll release a sequel to Dreamfall soon, though. I know they got funding for it a couple of years back, but there's been no news about it. :/
Ok, well the characters you meet in the Nexus are voice acted yes, but if I remember correctly - your character never says anything, and the game seems very linear - no sidequests to speak of.
And yes, you can upgrade abilities, weapons, armour etc.
I guess I just prefer RPGs where you interact more and make decisions which affect the game world, i.e NWN.

You know, if you like RPGS, you should give Neverwinter Nights a try. Its an incredibly long game with a deep plot. Its based on D&D rules so its very traditional in that sense

With Demon Souls, maybe its the fact that I keep getting owned by the first boss you come across. Something that breathes fire I thinkl?

Oh, I'm really hoping for a sequel to Dreamfall, which was a disappointing successor to TLJ. Still an ok game though
Old 02-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
Space Cadet

I'm just a gamer at heart and always will be[/QUOTE]

Ditto old chap
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

@Harlehog, I see you come from Liverpool - I actually come from Lancaster, not too far away, although right now I'm working in Indonesia.

How's the weather in old blighty? Cold and dreary as usual?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #17
Space Cadet

At present the ambient temp is 14c, the sky is that mottled shade of grey which is so familiar this time of year, my Harley is still in hibernation "waiting for a blue sky" to quote Chris Rea......
Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #18
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyhog View Post
At present the ambient temp is 14c, the sky is that mottled shade of grey which is so familiar this time of year, my Harley is still in hibernation "waiting for a blue sky" to quote Chris Rea......

Oh man, I miss biking - I sold my Honda VFR400 when I came out here (although not a bike by your standards, its a sport bike which gave me hours of weekend fun)
At the moment I'm running around on some crappy 125cc bike - what we used to refer to as a "hairdryer" back in Lancaster....
Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Started gaming in the mid 80's on the Commodore 64 - just kids stuff, but moved up to Monkey Island and the Sierra Quests when we got a PC...
Old 02-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
Adventurer

Quote:
Ok, well the characters you meet in the Nexus are voice acted yes, but if I remember correctly - your character never says anything, and the game seems very linear - no sidequests to speak of.
And yes, you can upgrade abilities, weapons, armour etc.
I guess I just prefer RPGs where you interact more and make decisions which affect the game world, i.e NWN.
No, your character never says anything, but it's more uncommon that they do than the opposite. Especially in games where you're not playing a specific character. Also, NPCs outside the nexus are also voice acted. And you've got side quests and your actions affect the world. The game uses a system it calls "World Tendency", and one called "Character Tendency". These are basically measurement systems for how much good or evil you've done in each area, and how good or evil you are. The areas, enemies and NPCs change accordingly, which can make a second play through completely different from the first. Also, you can open up new areas and passages using levers, keys, etc. I'd say you're able to affect the game world at least as much in DS as in NWN.

Quote:
You know, if you like RPGS, you should give Neverwinter Nights a try. Its an incredibly long game with a deep plot. Its based on D&D rules so its very traditional in that sense
Ah, I've actually played through it a couple of times. It's a fun game, but it really didn't reach up there with BG and PT for me - I thought the story was a bit dull in comparison. I really enjoyed the expansions more than the main game, actually. Hehe! Also, got to love Deekin!

Quote:
With Demon Souls, maybe its the fact that I keep getting owned by the first boss you come across. Something that breathes fire I thinkl?
The game is difficult, without a doubt. But only until you find the right tactics for the different enemies and bosses. The first boss, which is called "Phalanx", and is basically just that. It fires spears at you, and I probably died over 20 times the first time I went up against it. I restarted the game due to having to format my PS3 though, and the second time I went against it, I got it on my first try, because I knew the right tactics.

After this, though, you'll have to cross a long, long bridge, and while doing that you'll have to avoid getting barbequed by a dragon that wants you dead. This dragon also appears once before the first boss on a really small bridge. It is quite easy to avoid in both cases, though - in fact, it's almost hard to get hit by it. You just run across right after it's done

Quote:
Oh, I'm really hoping for a sequel to Dreamfall, which was a disappointing successor to TLJ. Still an ok game though
Definitely disappointing, in two ways for my part: The worlds, which were so full of life and fantastic, were now gray and dull. And the other part was that it raised a lot of questions, and ended in a cliffhanger, leaving most of those questions unanswered. Without a sequel, it's kind of like playing Syberia I, and not Syberia II.