You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Island/beach themed adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
an angel of romance

Default Island/beach themed adventure games?

Ok, I like to play adventure games depending on a season. So if it's winter I'll play a game like Syberia, but if it's summer I'll play games like So blonde or one of Monkey Island games.
So I'd like to know are there more games that happen on an Island/beach/among the pirates that future at least part of game( like Runaway 2)? Also they need to be after 2000, I don't like those older games (no offence).
Old 01-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #2

I'm the same! I like to feel immersed in the game, and playing in the right season helps a lot.

For the next summer, how about the Return to Mysterious Island ones?

For this winter I suggest to play Bracken Tor when it comes out, or play Barrow Hill, of which Bracken Tor will be a sequel.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Passer-by

If you have some spare time here's a great list of adventure games (in a language you know well) you should check. By clicking on the links there you'll find short descriptions of more than 600 (six hundred!) adventure games and I'm sure some of them will meet your needs. I'm zoran845, BTW.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
an angel of romance

Oh yes Return to Mysterious Island looks great.
Now I'm playing Syberia, but I didn't get to any snowy regions yet, Barrow Hill looks scary, just how I like it, but is it an adventure game or just an hidden object one?
Zobrak thanks for the list, I appreciate it
Old 01-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
... Barrow Hill looks scary, just how I like it, but is it an adventure game or just an hidden object one?
Barrow Hill is a full-fledged adventure game. No hidden objects there.

Quote:
Zobraks thanks for the list, I appreciate it
You're welcome.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
is it an adventure game or just an hidden object one?
I'm happy to announce that it's a full-fledged proper-like Adventure game with a capital "A"!!
It's a semi-independent production, with a relatively low budget, though. It uses your basic slideshow-style navigation, with prerendered-3D images. It's not high-profile, but lots of people here (including myself) seem to like it.

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 01-12-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
an angel of romance

Oh great I'm gonna check it out as soon as I Finish playing Syberia, and Syberia 2, btw I don't know why they consider Syberia such an amazing game, exept for the beautiful scenarios it has, the story is a little stupid, the dialogues are boring...
Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
... btw I don't know why they consider Syberia such an amazing game, exept for the beautiful scenarios it has, the story is a little stupid, the dialogues are boring...
Haha!
Welcome to the club!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
an angel of romance

I agree with you completely. You said it so well that I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #10

Nice list! But there are a lot of titles I don't know...I should check them!
Anyway,
Island themed games...that reminds me of Destination: Treasure island, Longest Journey, Myst series and something I played a few months back , Jolly Rover (funny).

I know you said over 2000, but I just can't help myself :Broken sword 2 (ahh... Ketch's landing )

As for "playing the game depending on the season" I just can't!

Whenever I fell like playing something no mater the scenery and it's possible, I usually do.
I only have one exception:
I only like snow when it's on my monitor!
If it's winter , cold and snowy , I put sand, sea and palm trees wallpapers on my desktop, and don't play snowy games!!!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #11

Maybe try Paradise or Sinking island. They have the general summer feel to them. I personally didn't like them... but each to there own.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #12

Tales of Monkey Island by Telltale has everything in it. Of course, the original series are ten times better, but they're ten times older.
Oh, and do Sherlock Holmes games count? They take place in Britain, and it's an island after all.

Last edited by Arial Type; 01-12-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate me View Post
Nice list! But there are a lot of titles I don't know...I should check them!
Anyway,
Island themed games...that reminds me of Destination: Treasure island, Longest Journey, Myst series and something I played a few months back , Jolly Rover (funny).

I know you said over 2000, but I just can't help myself :Broken sword 2 (ahh... Ketch's landing )

As for "playing the game depending on the season" I just can't!

Whenever I fell like playing something no mater the scenery and it's possible, I usually do.
I only have one exception:
I only like snow when it's on my monitor!
If it's winter , cold and snowy , I put sand, sea and palm trees wallpapers on my desktop, and don't play snowy games!!!
Destination: Treasure island looks great, Broken sword 2 looks fantastic even though it's from 97

This image stunned me
I didn't know that Longest Journey and Myst were happening on an island
Jolly Rover's ship somehow reminds me of the one in So blonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
Maybe try Paradise or Sinking island. They have the general summer feel to them. I personally didn't like them... but each to there own.
Paradise looks a bit dim and dark not sunny http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/paradise/images.html

Sinking Island looks nice enough, and I do think both of these games are good and a bit misterious. I don't know why you wouldn't like them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Tales of Monkey Island by Telltale has everything in it. Of course, the original series are ten times better, but they're ten times older.
Oh, and do Sherlock Holmes games count? They take place in Britain, and it's an island after all.
I am planning on playing all of the Monkey Island games. Well I have started playing Sherlock Holmes The Awakened a long time ago, but after I was looking for those smugglers, I had such a hedache that I could't get out of bed for 3 hours. I unistalled the game right away. I think it had something to do with camera angle and to much pinpointing in the dark.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
I changed my title

There's a freeware game called I S L A N D http://www.laminatedgoat.com/island.php
Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #15

"Broken sword 2 looks fantastic even though it's from 97 .This image stunned me"
Hah!
I knew you would like Ketch's island scenery!
Here are more screenshots of another island (Zombie island) from Broken sword 2:
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  18.2 KB Name:  6.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  20.2 KB

Last edited by kate me; 01-13-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
an angel of romance

Quote:
"Broken sword 2 looks fantastic even though it's from 97 .This image stunned me"
Hah!
I knew you would like Ketch's island scenery!
Here are more screenshots of another island (Zombie island) from Broken sword 2:
Attachment 2184 Attachment 2185
"Grabs Broken Sword 2 and puts it 1 on her list of summer adventure games".
Also would I have to play Broken Sword 1 first, I mean are the stories connected (like in Runaway) or individual?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #17

Jack Keane also plays out on an island if I remember well...
Old 01-13-2011, 02:34 PM   #18

Wasn't Barrow Hill an Autumnal game? That's my memory but I could be wrong!

Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise.

Actually, this is a good idea for a thread: Games for all seasons.

I don't how you could not have realized that Myst was set on an island (!!!) but if you are interested in checking it out I suggest you begin with Myst IV: Revelation as it is both more modern and has the types of balmy, tropical locations you seem to be looking for. Of course, by the time you've played through everyone's reccomendations you will probably be sick to death of those kinds of locations

Oh and I know you said you weren't interested in really old games but Maupiti Island (http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1312, http://www.mobygames.com/game/maupiti-island) is the ultimate beach adventure!

Last edited by cbman; 01-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #19

"Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise. "

Agree, if you like first person games as well!
They're full of great landscapes!

As for

"Also would I have to play Broken Sword 1 first, I mean are the stories connected (like in Runaway) or individual"

It is like Runaway , because BS 2 takes place only after a few months where BS 1 plot left. It follows the same characters but in a new adventure .
But for me, I personally played BS 2 first (I said I'll give it a try!) and loved the game, so I brought after ALL the sequals starting with the first.
I think it doesn't matter what you start with, because if you enjoy the game you usually get the sequels as well.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Jack Keane also plays out on an island if I remember well...
Jack Keane definitely looks awesome! I sure like pirates, and it seems to be in style of So Blonde and Ankh series
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Wasn't Barrow Hill an Autumnal game? That's my memory but I could be wrong!

Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise.

Actually, this is a good idea for a thread: Games for all seasons.

I don't how you could not have realized that Myst was set on an island (!!!) but if you are interested in checking it out I suggest you begin with Myst IV: Revelation as it is both more modern and has the types of balmy, tropical locations you seem to be looking for. Of course, by the time you've played through everyone's reccomendations you will probably be sick to death of those kinds of locations

Oh and I know you said you weren't interested in really old games but Maupiti Island (http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1312, http://www.mobygames.com/game/maupiti-island) is the ultimate beach adventure!
Well I never played any of the Myst games, I just heard they were amazing
( one of the best adventure games series ever! ), and yes I am planning on playing all of the Myst games one day.

Oh and I don't think Maupiti Island is really for me, looks like one of the games I played on my old big computer, with a massive hard drive that had only unit for floppy disk, when I was 7 years old or so, I can't really remember the name of that game but it also happened on an Island.

Quote:
"Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise. "

Agree, if you like first person games as well!
They're full of great landscapes!

As for

"Also would I have to play Broken Sword 1 first, I mean are the stories connected (like in Runaway) or individual"

It is like Runaway , because BS 2 takes place only after a few months where BS 1 plot left. It follows the same characters but in a new adventure .
But for me, I personally played BS 2 first (I said I'll give it a try!) and loved the game, so I brought after ALL the sequals starting with the first.
I think it doesn't matter what you start with, because if you enjoy the game you usually get the sequels as well.
I'm gonna look up for Return to Mysterious Island and Destination: Treasure Island, when I can, probably next summer ( after playing Broken Sword )

I played Runaway 2 first also, so I had no idea who was for example Joshua or any of the other Brian's friends. Then I played Runaway A road adventure, and by the time I finished it Runaway A twist of fate was out and I already forgot how The Runaway 2 ended, so I had little problems remembering it while playing Runaway 3.

So it would probably be better if I played Broken Sword 1 first, right?