Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Island/beach themed adventure games? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/28398-island-beach-themed-adventure-games.html)

SweetDalilah 01-12-2011 08:01 AM

Island/beach themed adventure games?

Ok, I like to play adventure games depending on a season. So if it's winter I'll play a game like Syberia, but if it's summer I'll play games like So blonde or one of Monkey Island games.
So I'd like to know are there more games that happen on an Island/beach/among the pirates that future at least part of game( like Runaway 2)? Also they need to be after 2000, I don't like those older games (no offence). :)

ZeframCochrane 01-12-2011 08:41 AM

I'm the same! I like to feel immersed in the game, and playing in the right season helps a lot.

For the next summer, how about the Return to Mysterious Island ones?

For this winter I suggest to play Bracken Tor when it comes out, or play Barrow Hill, of which Bracken Tor will be a sequel.

zobraks 01-12-2011 08:45 AM

If you have some spare time here's a great list of adventure games (in a language you know well) you should check. By clicking on the links there you'll find short descriptions of more than 600 (six hundred!) adventure games and I'm sure some of them will meet your needs. I'm zoran845, BTW. :)

SweetDalilah 01-12-2011 09:08 AM

Oh yes Return to Mysterious Island looks great. :9
Now I'm playing Syberia, but I didn't get to any snowy regions yet, Barrow Hill looks scary, just how I like it, but is it an adventure game or just an hidden object one?
Zobrak thanks for the list, I appreciate it :)

zobraks 01-12-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetDalilah (Post 569090)
... Barrow Hill looks scary, just how I like it, but is it an adventure game or just an hidden object one?

Barrow Hill is a full-fledged adventure game. No hidden objects there.

Quote:

Zobraks thanks for the list, I appreciate it :)

You're welcome. :)

ZeframCochrane 01-12-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

is it an adventure game or just an hidden object one?

I'm happy to announce that it's a full-fledged proper-like Adventure game with a capital "A"!!
It's a semi-independent production, with a relatively low budget, though. It uses your basic slideshow-style navigation, with prerendered-3D images. It's not high-profile, but lots of people here (including myself) seem to like it. :)

SweetDalilah 01-12-2011 09:44 AM

Oh great I'm gonna check it out as soon as I Finish playing Syberia, and Syberia 2, btw I don't know why they consider Syberia such an amazing game, exept for the beautiful scenarios it has, the story is a little stupid, the dialogues are boring...

zobraks 01-12-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetDalilah (Post 569096)
... btw I don't know why they consider Syberia such an amazing game, exept for the beautiful scenarios it has, the story is a little stupid, the dialogues are boring...

Haha! :D
Welcome to the club!

SweetDalilah 01-12-2011 10:16 AM

I agree with you completely. You said it so well that I couldn't have said it better myself. :D :7

kate me 01-12-2011 01:34 PM

Nice list! But there are a lot of titles I don't know...I should check them!
Anyway,
Island themed games...that reminds me of Destination: Treasure island, Longest Journey, Myst series and something I played a few months back , Jolly Rover (funny).

I know you said over 2000, but I just can't help myself :Broken sword 2 (ahh... Ketch's landing ;))

As for "playing the game depending on the season" I just can't!

Whenever I fell like playing something no mater the scenery and it's possible, I usually do.
I only have one exception:
I only like snow when it's on my monitor! :P
If it's winter , cold and snowy , I put sand, sea and palm trees wallpapers on my desktop, and don't play snowy games!!! :crazy:

Weare6 01-12-2011 02:16 PM

Maybe try Paradise or Sinking island. They have the general summer feel to them. I personally didn't like them... but each to there own.

Arial Type 01-12-2011 02:54 PM

Tales of Monkey Island by Telltale has everything in it. Of course, the original series are ten times better, but they're ten times older.
Oh, and do Sherlock Holmes games count? They take place in Britain, and it's an island after all.

SweetDalilah 01-12-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate me (Post 569132)
Nice list! But there are a lot of titles I don't know...I should check them!
Anyway,
Island themed games...that reminds me of Destination: Treasure island, Longest Journey, Myst series and something I played a few months back , Jolly Rover (funny).

I know you said over 2000, but I just can't help myself :Broken sword 2 (ahh... Ketch's landing ;))

As for "playing the game depending on the season" I just can't!

Whenever I fell like playing something no mater the scenery and it's possible, I usually do.
I only have one exception:
I only like snow when it's on my monitor! :P
If it's winter , cold and snowy , I put sand, sea and palm trees wallpapers on my desktop, and don't play snowy games!!! :crazy:

Destination: Treasure island looks great, Broken sword 2 looks fantastic even though it's from 97
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/...JL0E3CA73H.jpg
This image stunned me
I didn't know that Longest Journey and Myst were happening on an island
Jolly Rover's ship somehow reminds me of the one in So blonde

http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/...JollyRover.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weare6 (Post 569140)
Maybe try Paradise or Sinking island. They have the general summer feel to them. I personally didn't like them... but each to there own.

Paradise looks a bit dim and dark not sunny http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure...se/images.html

Sinking Island looks nice enough, and I do think both of these games are good and a bit misterious. I don't know why you wouldn't like them?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 569147)
Tales of Monkey Island by Telltale has everything in it. Of course, the original series are ten times better, but they're ten times older.
Oh, and do Sherlock Holmes games count? They take place in Britain, and it's an island after all.

I am planning on playing all of the Monkey Island games. Well I have started playing Sherlock Holmes The Awakened a long time ago, but after I was looking for those smugglers, I had such a hedache that I could't get out of bed for 3 hours. I unistalled the game right away. I think it had something to do with camera angle and to much pinpointing in the dark.

Shany 01-12-2011 04:59 PM

There's a freeware game called I S L A N D http://www.laminatedgoat.com/island.php

kate me 01-13-2011 05:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
"Broken sword 2 looks fantastic even though it's from 97 .This image stunned me"
Hah!
I knew you would like Ketch's island scenery! :)
Here are more screenshots of another island (Zombie island) from Broken sword 2:
Attachment 2184 Attachment 2185

SweetDalilah 01-13-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate me (Post 569205)
"Broken sword 2 looks fantastic even though it's from 97 .This image stunned me"
Hah!
I knew you would like Ketch's island scenery! :)
Here are more screenshots of another island (Zombie island) from Broken sword 2:
Attachment 2184 Attachment 2185

"Grabs Broken Sword 2 and puts it 1 on her list of summer adventure games".
Also would I have to play Broken Sword 1 first, I mean are the stories connected (like in Runaway) or individual?

aries323 01-13-2011 12:38 PM

Jack Keane also plays out on an island if I remember well...

cbman 01-13-2011 02:34 PM

Wasn't Barrow Hill an Autumnal game? That's my memory but I could be wrong!

Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise.

Actually, this is a good idea for a thread: Games for all seasons.

I don't how you could not have realized that Myst was set on an island (!!!) but if you are interested in checking it out I suggest you begin with Myst IV: Revelation as it is both more modern and has the types of balmy, tropical locations you seem to be looking for. Of course, by the time you've played through everyone's reccomendations you will probably be sick to death of those kinds of locations :P

Oh and I know you said you weren't interested in really old games but Maupiti Island (http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1312, http://www.mobygames.com/game/maupiti-island) is the ultimate beach adventure!

kate me 01-14-2011 07:59 AM

"Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise. "

Agree, if you like first person games as well!
They're full of great landscapes!

As for

"Also would I have to play Broken Sword 1 first, I mean are the stories connected (like in Runaway) or individual"

It is like Runaway , because BS 2 takes place only after a few months where BS 1 plot left. It follows the same characters but in a new adventure .
But for me, I personally played BS 2 first (I said I'll give it a try!) and loved the game, so I brought after ALL the sequals starting with the first.
I think it doesn't matter what you start with, because if you enjoy the game you usually get the sequels as well.:D

SweetDalilah 01-15-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aries323 (Post 569244)
Jack Keane also plays out on an island if I remember well...

Jack Keane definitely looks awesome! I sure like pirates, and it seems to be in style of So Blonde and Ankh series
Quote:

Originally Posted by cbman (Post 569253)
Wasn't Barrow Hill an Autumnal game? That's my memory but I could be wrong!

Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise.

Actually, this is a good idea for a thread: Games for all seasons.

I don't how you could not have realized that Myst was set on an island (!!!) but if you are interested in checking it out I suggest you begin with Myst IV: Revelation as it is both more modern and has the types of balmy, tropical locations you seem to be looking for. Of course, by the time you've played through everyone's reccomendations you will probably be sick to death of those kinds of locations :P

Oh and I know you said you weren't interested in really old games but Maupiti Island (http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1312, http://www.mobygames.com/game/maupiti-island) is the ultimate beach adventure!

Well I never played any of the Myst games, I just heard they were amazing
( one of the best adventure games series ever! ), and yes I am planning on playing all of the Myst games one day.

Oh and I don't think Maupiti Island is really for me, looks like one of the games I played on my old big computer, with a massive hard drive that had only unit for floppy disk, when I was 7 years old or so, I can't really remember the name of that game but it also happened on an Island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kate me (Post 569318)
"Definately check out Return to Mysterious Island! And if you like that then there is also Destination: Treasure Island by the same developer (Kheops) - a game very much in the same mold gameplay wise. "

Agree, if you like first person games as well!
They're full of great landscapes!

As for

"Also would I have to play Broken Sword 1 first, I mean are the stories connected (like in Runaway) or individual"

It is like Runaway , because BS 2 takes place only after a few months where BS 1 plot left. It follows the same characters but in a new adventure .
But for me, I personally played BS 2 first (I said I'll give it a try!) and loved the game, so I brought after ALL the sequals starting with the first.
I think it doesn't matter what you start with, because if you enjoy the game you usually get the sequels as well.:D

I'm gonna look up for Return to Mysterious Island and Destination: Treasure Island, when I can, probably next summer ( after playing Broken Sword :D )

I played Runaway 2 first also, so I had no idea who was for example Joshua or any of the other Brian's friends. Then I played Runaway A road adventure, and by the time I finished it Runaway A twist of fate was out and I already forgot how The Runaway 2 ended, so I had little problems remembering it while playing Runaway 3.

So it would probably be better if I played Broken Sword 1 first, right?