You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Hi. This is my collection of games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Default Hi. This is my collection of games.

I finished only one of these.

Myst Masterpiece Edition (finished with the help of a walkthrough)
Riven
Myst III: Exile.

This is a three-DVD, tenth-anniversary edition released in 2003.

Leisure Suit Larry 1-6 two-CD collection
Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist
Sanitarium
Dust: A Tale of the Wired West (Cyberflix 1995)
Connections (Discovery Channel 1995)
System Shock
Companions of Xanth
Grim Fandango
Beyond Atlantis
Infocom Fantasy Collection including Enchanter, Seastalker, Sorcerer, Spellbreaker, Wishbringer, Planetfall, Zork 2.
Curse of Monkey Island
The Crystal Key
The Journeyman Project Turbo!
The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time
The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II
Space Ace
Inherent Evil: The Haunted Hotel (Head Games, 1999)
Circle of Blood

Except for about thirty text adventures that I've recently downloaded, I think this is it.

I'm currently playing Sanitarium.

Jim
Old 01-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Welcome to the forum, Jim. You have some nice oldies there, are they all in the original packaging?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #3

A very varied collection!

How come you don't finish the games? Difficulty or does your interest just wane?

I have that same Myst boxset as you by the way. Did you get the free bag with it? I still use mine!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #4

Hi fov,

Thanks for the welcome.

I think most of these games were repackaged onto CD Rom or DVD Rom at some point.

Freddy Pharkas is a reissue under "Sierra Originals". Companions of Xanth, an adventure game based on the Piers Anthony novel emons Don't Dream*, was in a CD Rom from a magazine called Computer Game Entertainment. The disc includes Zork 1-3; Jetfighter II, Tower of Souls (I don't know if this is an adventure game or not).

PC Gamer Disc 5.10, July, 2000, is titled *Classic Games Collection: Volume One* and includes a dozen free full-version games. Adventure games are Alone in the Dark, The Secret of Monkey Island, and King's Quest I.

Jim
Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
A very varied collection!

How come you don't finish the games? Difficulty or does your interest just wane?

I have that same Myst boxset as you by the way. Did you get the free bag with it? I still use mine!
cbman,

I did not get the free bag with the Myst Box set. The reason I don't finish the games is that I'm not very good at solving puzzles. I don't know why, it drives me crazy, and at some point I just give up.

Jim
Old 01-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystical Gamer1963 View Post
cbman,

I did not get the free bag with the Myst Box set. The reason I don't finish the games is that I'm not very good at solving puzzles. I don't know why, it drives me crazy, and at some point I just give up.

Jim
Have you tried using hint websites, Jim? UHS might have a lot of the games you're stuck on in their database. Rather than giving you the solution as a walkthrough does, UHS instead nudges you in the right direction and will offer further advice if needed.

It'd be a shame to miss out on the rich stories that many of those games in your possession offer simply because your puzzle solving may not be up to scratch. I tend to give up easily if I'm becoming frustrated, so I know how you feel.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchpenny View Post
Have you tried using hint websites, Jim? UHS might have a lot of the games you're stuck on in their database. Rather than giving you the solution as a walkthrough does, UHS instead nudges you in the right direction and will offer further advice if needed.

It'd be a shame to miss out on the rich stories that many of those games in your possession offer simply because your puzzle solving may not be up to scratch. I tend to give up easily if I'm becoming frustrated, so I know how you feel.

I agree; UHS hints sounds exactly like what you need. You can still get the satisfaction of solving things for yourself but when you get to the point where you become frustrated and inclined to abandon the game you can use it to put you on the right track without things being spelled out for you.

I know some see it as 'cheating' but meh, ultimately, I think we buy games to be entertained and it seems a shame not to get the full value and enjoyment from your games as that is quite a nice collection. You're being cheated if you don't finish them, however you have to do it!

I entered this genre with the Myst games (well, not quite true, but true enough for the purposes of the point i'm making) and to be honest they intimidated me at first. Luckilly, I had the Masterpiece edition with the in-built hints. I'm no great puzzle brain but finishing the game gave me the confidence to tackle the others and I never looked back. I finished Riven with no help at all (I'm always mentioning that .) Some people talk as if Riven is near impossible but it really isn't; it's mostly about observation, paying attention to every detail you see, MAKING NOTES (I know some people hate this), trial and error (pressing buttons, pulling levers etc and then dilligently re-examining everything to see what changes it has effected in the landscape) more observation and seeing how everything fits together. There is actually hardly anything that people would normally call 'Myst-like puzzles' (ie logic and process puzzles). No great intellect is required, only observation and patience. But I digress...

When you first start playing AGs it really is as much about getting into the right mindset and the right way to think about the puzzles than it is great feats of brainpower. I wouldn't get very far through a puzzle book; I'm actually terrible at Sudoku and crosswords and those kinds of things but Adventure games don't usually give me too many problems. Once you've completed a few you really do start to get the hang of them and the type of thinking required and then you require hints less and less.

Obviously, games vary in difficulty but UHS hints usually ensures that I rarely have to be outright told a solution (except for missed click spots and that kind of thing). There's is also the occasional puzzle type that I have an outright aversion to and not the inclination to even try and solve (sound puzzles for example because I don't have good hearing and little tonal sense. The organ puzzle in Myst for example is the kind of puzzle I wouldn't be able to solve if I sat there for ten hours, and it's 'only' repeating sounds!) - in those cases I will just look up the answer. Why spoil your enjoyment of a good game when you've invested so much time in it because of one or two puzzles?

My point is: try and finish a few games, even if you need to use hints a little (or a lot) and I honestly believe they will magically start to become easier! That was my own experience.

I hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice; just making convo!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Hi,

Because I am recovering from gall bladder surgery done January 7, 2011, I am, with help from my brother and sister in law, cleaning house. In doing so I have uncovered several more computer adventure games in my collection, such as:

7th Guest
Zork Nemesis
King's Quest V and VI
The Roberta Williams Anthology
The Forgotten Realms Collection (RPG)
Fallout 1

It's scary what I didn't know I still have.

Jim
Old 01-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Senior *female* member

Treasure them!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Agreed. I wish I could find old adventure games I didn't know I had stashed away in my house. (Sometimes I have dreams about it!)