You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure DARKSTAR - FMV Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default DARKSTAR - FMV Adventure

I can't believe no one is talking about this game. I've been following it for quite a few years now. Now we are finally close to the release date!

DARKSTAR - The Interactive Movie (FMV Adventure)

Official Site: http://darkstar.gs/
Dragon-Con Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUq4Mk9Rt3Y

Digital Download and Online Boxed: November 5, 2010
Available in select U.S. Stores: February 14, 2011
Price: $29.95

Quote:
A tale of murder and deception with nothing less than the fate of humanity at stake. A quest to turn back time itself, cheat fate, and write a new future for mankind.

DARKSTAR - The Interactive Movie is experienced through exploration and discovery on a wrecked starship light years from earth - a world that has centuries before been annihilated.

You awaken inside a cryogenic sleep chamber aboard the drifting starship, Westwick. You experience most of the drama "first person", through the eyes of Captain John O'Neil. You are physically unharmed, but you suffer from a complete and permanent loss of memory.

You explore the starship to find clues as to who you are and what your mission is. Beside you are three other sleep chambers. One is empty. In the other lies a beautiful woman, still in hibernation. The final chamber is shattered and in it lies the corpse of a man, 300 years dead and missing its left hand. The ship's computer, Westwick Main assists you, but much of her memory has been deleted by someone unknown.

Your wits are your greatest weapon in this story of suspense and interplanetary intrigue. Nothing is as it seems and despite the icy, cold silence... you're not alone.

DARKSTAR takes you on an epic science fiction journey of discovery and exploration featuring the entire original cast of Mystery Science Theater 3000, stars Clive Robertson, and is narrated by the late Peter Graves.

With more footage than any"game" ever produced, DARKSTAR is a true Interactive Movie with live-action actors and lavishly animated scenery creating a world like no other.
Quote:
DARKSTAR - The Interactive Movie will first be available as an online download for PC/Mac on November 5th via Strategy First and their partner sites. It will also be available at that time at www.darkstarstore.com in boxes as a physical copy and also on Amazon. The retail price will be $29.95. On February 14th 2011, COSMI Corporation will release physical copies in selected stores throughout the United States. An exact list of those stores will be made available to us later this fall.

Several overseas publishers have approached Parallax about distribution in other countries with localized content (subtitles/translations), more will be forthcoming on that situation as it develops. Based on sales of the initial PC/Mac release, a special edition with bonus content may follow, as well as a possible console version on X-Box, PS, and Wii platforms.

Last edited by Legolas813; 09-04-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #2

Woo... seems nice... I'm intrigued.

But wait.. do I recognize some of those faces? Do I... ? This.. song in my head...
♪♫"In the not too distant future"♫♪
Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Awesome.... does anyone know what the System Requirements will be for this game?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #4

I'm pretty sure the system requirements haven't been announced yet. It has been said, though, that the game is very large and will be on eight double density discs. I'm definitely going to get the digital version.

UPDATE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.slightly-deranged.com/?page_id=1188
It’s six dual-layer plus one single-layered DVD, and that’s for the full version of the game. With this version you can do a full install that will take about 44GB of drive space, or opt to a partial install of only 6GB, but you will have to shift disks occasionally, but not very often. If you remember, MYST’s RIVEN came on five CDRoms in the days that a 250MB hard drive was a big deal—a 1G hard drive unheard of. Darkstar will also be available in a three-part trilogy series. Part One is on three disks (22G), Part Two is on two disks (14G), and Part Three is on two disks (10G). You must have the previous chapters to play the latter ones.

The reason for the large real estate is that everything is pre-rendered at high quality 800×600 resolution (just between TV resolution and hi-def), with no game engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.slightly-deranged.com/?page_id=1188
The “game” itself will work on both PC and Mac. On PC it will work with XP/Vista/7. On Mac it will work on the most current OSX—it actually will work going back to the G5, but we’ve found a few audio distortions due to Quicktimes interactions with the older OSX that unfortunately we can’t do anything about due to Apple’s design, so it’s best if you have the newer OS and machine. Mine is over a year old and it does great. System requirements are pretty basic—if you can play movies or any kind of game on your computer, you’re probably fine.

We’ll perhaps visit the consoles early next year. We’ve not settled on a publishing partner to port this over to any of the game consoles yet, and we want to get Darkstar out there this year. If the interest is there and we find a good sized audience with this release, consoles will surely follow if the hard-core gamers want it there.

Last edited by Legolas813; 09-05-2010 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
DirectX Developer

WOW... I LOVE FMV adventures and I had no idea of this game , It looks really interesting

Thank You very much for posting this, I want this gameee!!!

Regards
Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #6

This looks really great! I have my reservations about interactive movies, because I don't like quick time event game-play. But the trailer showed a more traditional adventure game-play with puzzles and exploration. This could be huge!!!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Shameless plug, I know, but what the heck... All you could possibly want to know about Darkstar is right here in this interview:

http://www.slightly-deranged.com/?page_id=1188

Unfortunately, Rush music won't make it to the final game
Old 09-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #8

^ Thanks for the link. Great interview.

Yeah, they went back and forth on the Rush thing for a long time. Apparently, the band was all for it, but Universal kept raising the price for the music over and over again, ultimately wanting over $100,000 I believe, which is just crazy. So they ended up just creating their own original music, which I think turned out great.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #9

6 GB for a partial install?!

44 GB for a full install

That's one way to combat piracy!
Old 09-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

I hope this game is at least aware of how insanely tacky it looks. If Frank Coniff is on board, it must, right?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
I hope this game is at least aware of how insanely tacky it looks.
♪♫ Just repeat to yourself "it's just a game, I should really just relax" ♪♫
Old 09-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
Psychonaut

OMG it's the Duke Nukem Forever of adventure games.

I never beleived this would get a release (or DNF) and here they are both announced for release in the same week.

Cooool. I alway liked the look of this game, but can it live up to the expectation/hype?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
♪♫ Just repeat to yourself "it's just a game, I should really just relax" ♪♫
I think I have a pretty valid point. If the game is self-aware, it could be great. It's the difference between, say, the intentional badness of Pirahna 3D and the real badness of (what will probably be) Devil.

Frank Coniff is from MST3K. He made a living making fun of stuff like this. So it must be self-aware. Right?
Old 09-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
So it must be self-aware. Right?
I honestly don't know
I'll wait to actually play the game before I even consider having to resort to the MST3K mantra. For now, all I know is that not just TV's Frank is in it, but also many other familiar faces (heck, even Joel!), so I'm pretty sure they won't be taking themselves too seriously. Besides, the sets for the Satellite of Love were very tacky, and I loved it.
All in all, this is a game I'll be looking forward for.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #15

Looks intriguing....a little bit reminiscent of Farscape. Speaking of FMV adventure games are there any other recent ones (aside from Casebook)? Or any good classic ones I should track down? I'm familiar with most of the console ones from the Sega CD/3D0/PSX/Saturn eras but never really had a chance to mess around with the genre on PC much. Any suggestions?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Looks intriguing....a little bit reminiscent of Farscape. Speaking of FMV adventure games are there any other recent ones (aside from Casebook)?
Definitely Yoormujak's Ring. It's really great.

Last edited by stepurhan; 09-07-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #17

That guy in the middle looks like Chuck Norris . I dunno, I'm not so sure about this one...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 09-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #18

Hmm, I don't know. I was a big fan of FMV games in the 90's. I remember really enjoying Night Trap, Double Switch & Sewer Shark on my old Sega CD. I tried to get into it recently by purchasing The X-Files Game and Black Dahlia, but I'm having a hard time getting back into it.

The trailer doesn't make this game look that great. Maybe it's the bad acting. I guess you are so much more limited with filmed actors. If I had to compare it to something, it reminds me of Angel Devoid, which I actually liked at the time.

TrueG
-------------------------
www.computerabuser.com
Old 09-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #19

Bad acting , dated graphics and a whooping 44 gb ? I loved FMV games but this is just ridiculous.

And here i thought the japanese PS2 fmv game "The Fear" was huge with 4 dvds.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #20

Whiners of all countries unite.