You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure DARKSTAR - FMV Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #21
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The very nature and history of this game make this an interesting and unique offer in the current market.

Of course we'll see if it truly delivers upon its release, but I don't understand how e.g. someone can consider the size of this game (meaning the GB) to be off-putting. You don't need to upload it to your hard drive, so what's the problem? The video quality will be better thanks to it and that's all.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
The very nature and history of this game make this an interesting and unique offer in the current market.
I agree. The game may end up being crappy, but there're at least making an effort to try and shake up the status quo in the genre, which to me is always a good thing.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:18 AM   #23
aye, aye!

HOLY CRAP, IT'S BEN FROM SUNSET BEACH!!

...I used to have a major crush on him as a child!
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #24
Queen of the underground

Send a message via MSN to Idta

SUNSET BEACH!!!!!!!!!
YES! lol!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #25
Schattenjäger

im quite intrigued.... has anyone played this?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 PM   #26
Strategy Guide Author

Yeah, I'm interested too.. Any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2010, 03:18 AM   #27

Game sounds very interesting in the trailer, but 44gb???? OMG... Maybe it can get ported to PS3 instead, with blu-ray and high definition graphics/dts sound, it will be a better experience...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 11-17-2010, 04:00 AM   #28

I believe they found a way to drastically reduce the size of the game. It is now around 14gb (I think) on 2 dvd's.

Last edited by rambler; 11-17-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #29

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I am waiting for the online release from Strategy First. It has been delayed because Strategy First is having a hard time with the size of the download (13.5GB). Whenever it is finally released, they are supposed to be offering a 25% discount for the delay.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #30
Strategy Guide Author

Where do you see that info, Legolas?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 AM   #31

How does no one have this yet? Are we sure it even released? 12 Days after it's release date and not one review...even on a blog?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #32

The game seems interesting however I can't find out anything about the gameplay itself. I've never played an FMV before, so I have no idea what to expect.

Is it point and click like a regular AG?

I just went to their website and tried youtubing it to see if I could find some actual gameplay footage, but I don't believe there's anything on the web at this time which seems weird to me for a game that's already out. There's the usual trailers, and TBH, the video quality doesn't look very good, but all they show is cinematics as far as I can tell.

So I am intrigued, but not going to dish out cash on a game until I can find out more about it.

So I to would be very interested if anyone plays it to let us know what it's like.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 AM   #33

Wait a minute....it's coming to consoles as well?

Quote:
http://darkstar.gs/teaser_09PanScan.htm
To enhance user interactivity, all linear movements within DARKSTAR can be controlled by the player, allowing for a more realistic sensation of movement and exploration. This example shows how much more dynamic the navigation can be, turning the feeling of "point and click" into a more active, fluid experience. Mac and PC versions will not have this feature, proposed only for console versions.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
The game seems interesting however I can't find out anything about the gameplay itself. I've never played an FMV before, so I have no idea what to expect.

Is it point and click like a regular AG?

I just went to their website and tried youtubing it to see if I could find some actual gameplay footage, but I don't believe there's anything on the web at this time which seems weird to me for a game that's already out. There's the usual trailers, and TBH, the video quality doesn't look very good, but all they show is cinematics as far as I can tell.

So I am intrigued, but not going to dish out cash on a game until I can find out more about it.

So I to would be very interested if anyone plays it to let us know what it's like.
Based on what I've seen it's supposed to be interactive FMV. Think of D except that you can move in the rendered environments instead of just statically moving from point A to B. Maybe it's a bit like what Southpeak was trying with Temujin & Darkside of the Moon? I'm not totally sure either but this is the impression I've gotten.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #35

Hey folks. I found a whole page dedicated to the game here.

http://www.youtube.com/parallaxstudi...24/QChtbVxvz_g

There is a Darkstar demo trailer a little over halfway down on the bar on the right that shows real gameplay footage. It's a bit over 8 min. long. I'm tempted to just buy it now and hope for the best, because it does look like something quite different in the AG genre.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #36
Schattenjäger

yeah, i think im going to have to take a leap of faith with this one. Its like a piece of adventure game history, even if it doesnt turn out to be very good.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #37
Schattenjäger

hmmm very interesting. I'd like to know if Jeff knows about Tex Murphy or GK2. He claims theres nothing like this without talking about the best FMV games around.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #38
Strategy Guide Author

I'm pretty close to just pulling the trigger on the disc version. But are there any reviews around anywhere? Someone has to have played this, right? heh
Old 11-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #39

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Where do you see that info, Legolas?
The info about the online delay and the discount has been posted multiple times by the developer on the DARKSTAR Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/darkstarthei...vemovie?v=wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
How does no one have this yet? Are we sure it even released? 12 Days after it's release date and not one review...even on a blog?
From the DARKSTAR Facebook page: "The first DARKSTAR press review is in, and we're dumbstruck—never expected critics to like a game like this, but this says "best game of this genre since 7th Guest & Phantasmagoria, and one of the best games (overall) I've played this year". Nominated for "Adventure Game of 2010", "Best Audio", "PC Game of 2010", & "Overall Game of 2010". Going live as top story Thurs, we'll reveal review/reviewer then."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Wait a minute....it's coming to consoles as well?
As far as I know, it's only talk right now. If the PC version is successful they will look into a console port.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #40
Schattenjäger

im getting pretty excited.... Probably getting my hopes up too high, but still cant wait to read that review.
edit: Oh, and looks like that reviewer will be diehardgamefan.com

Last edited by zane; 11-17-2010 at 09:04 PM.