You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Portal 2! (with gameplay footage)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #21
Senior Automaton

Does the co-op campaign have a proper story? And do you need to know a specific person with a computer to play it, or can you just log on with anyone like a chatroom?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #22

There's a story in the co-op mode, but not to the extent of the single player campaign. It's there basically to give general direction and connect one objective to another. There's consequences and outcomes and all that, but it plays more like the early levels of the first game where you're jumping through someone elses hoops... for science. Don't let this put you off, though -- the dialogue is just as hilarious and well written as the single player campaign. (There's a few subtle story connections as well.)

I played co-op via split screen on the PS3, but you can connect online and either play with friends you've already got on Steam, PSN or Xbox Live or with a stranger. Though the game does advise that it's much more fun to play with someone you know. (The reviewer at GameSpy didn't and claimed he had a damn good time any way.) The puzzles can be pretty complex, so talking your way through them with a co-op pal is a must -- but there's in-game tools to point, coordinate and communicate too.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-23-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
It's Hard To Be Humble

SO looking forward to this.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #24
Stalker of Britain

I seriously *just* played the first game, and it was awesome, although really hard, and the second game looks awesome!!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #25

What a masterpiece. My advice to pure adventure gamers who enjoyed the Portal series is to stray from their main path and give the Half-Life 2 games a chance (or, why not, even start from the first Half-Life). I realize that, although the two games share the same universe, they indeed have two completely different gameplay styles and dynamics, but the storytelling quality is the same. You will soon feel the same kind of attachment for Gordon Freeman and his mission than the one you feel for Chell. Also, Half Life is famous for introducing puzzles between one shootout and the other, so the adventure gamer's mind will always be piqued.
A very minor advantage will also be that you will be able to understand the few in-jokes and references to Half Life that occur in Portal:
Spoiler:
"Black Mesa can bite my bankrupt [...]" or the drydock of the Borealis, to name two.

Have a friend lend it to you. If you really don't like it, you can always give it back after playing one chapter.

So anyway, Portal 2 is just as good as Portal. I should say it's better, but while it's true that P1 was a testbed and P2 is a proper game, it's also true that P1 will always have a aura of novelty and innovation about it, and the two things balance out quite neatly, at least for me. This means that, if asked, I could never be able to say which one of the two I liked the most.
Spoiler:
And the ending of P2 is so intense! The Turret Opera in the final seconds of the elevator ride, when you catch a glimpse of sunrays filtering through the vegetation, almost brought me to tears.
The beautiful ending of the Single Player mode is kinda ruined by the ending of the co-op mode. (I din't like the option of playing with a stranger, and I had none of my friends playing at the time, so I just watched the ending on YouTube). I find it somewhat disappointing, and I'm tempted to consider it non-canon.

Spaaaaaace!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #26
It's Hard To Be Humble

Default The World of Portal

I was actually thinking that it might actually be cooler if the next Portal-type experiment was an MMO. To be honest, I figure that would necessitate even more Half Life lore integration and such, but I think it really would be better as a story-rich MMORPG with lots of the puzzley physics challenges than as the current survival shooter epic the Half Life franchise has been.

No slight on the Half Life story, but really, I'm not really interested in playing a shooter game, no matter how good the dialogue and cutscenes are. But if the world were set up more as an action-adventure game with the obligatory combat and levelling and gear and resource management, it would be something a lot more people with much broader interests could experience, the way Warcraft did.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #27

Ok, I admit I have never played Portal... I like Half-life 2 but Portal... I've never had interest in that game, is it really that good??? It's strange that a lot of adventure gamers here like it...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #28
Psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
Ok, I admit I have never played Portal... I like Half-life 2 but Portal... I've never had interest in that game, is it really that good??? It's strange that a lot of adventure gamers here like it...
Why is it strange?

It is essentially a puzzle game and one thing adventure gamers love is a decent puzzle.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #29

In case any one missed it, there's an excellent comic that bridges the gap between the first and second game. (Told through the perspective of the elusive Rat Man. ) You can read it here on the official Portal site. Also I mentioned this after I finished the first game, but I freakin' love the idea of the audio commentary. Heaps of great insight into the making of these games.

I replayed through the original Portal again last night. (After experiencing withdrawal from Portal 2. ) I was amazed to see a couple of little hints that foreshadowed elements of the sequel.

Don't read unless you've played both games:

Spoiler:
In one of Rat Man's rooms there's portraits of Cave Johnson, the same ones that are in the different ages of Aperture Science in the sequel -- except with cubes positioned over his face. Clearly shows his name and his position in the company too. Great attention to detail, proving just how awesome and elaborate the mythology has been from the start...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #30

^ And speaking of HL references, anyone recognize any familiar pieces of hardware in Panel 14 of the comic?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #31

I love the little Half-Life references. The idea that they're set in the same 'universe' is all kinds of awesome.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #32
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
What a masterpiece. My advice to pure adventure gamers who enjoyed the Portal series is to stray from their main path and give the Half-Life 2 games a chance (or, why not, even start from the first Half-Life). I realize that, although the two games share the same universe, they indeed have two completely different gameplay styles and dynamics, but the storytelling quality is the same. You will soon feel the same kind of attachment for Gordon Freeman and his mission than the one you feel for Chell. Also, Half Life is famous for introducing puzzles between one shootout and the other, so the adventure gamer's mind will always be piqued.

I play Portal for the puzzles. The story is just an added bonus. I've played Half-Life and it's not half as enjoyable as Portal. Why? As an adventure game fan, the puzzles just aren't there. The real challenge in Half-Life is shooting stuff, and even if it is cleverly implemented and tactical it's no match for a good puzzle. That said, as far as shooters go, Half-Life is up there with the best.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 PM   #33

Personally I found the puzzles entirely too easy, the story is entertaining enough I just wish there was some challenge to the puzzles.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
The idea that they're set in the same 'universe' is all kinds of awesome.
Asolutely. My favourite is "Things have changed since the last time you left the building. What's going on out there will make you wish you were back in here."

My first reaction was "huh?" followed by "*sudden realisation* ohhh..."
Old 04-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #35

Quote:
^ And speaking of HL references, anyone recognize any familiar pieces of hardware in Panel 14 of the comic?
No I cant see the reference... what is it?
Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weare6 View Post
No I cant see the reference... what is it?
I see two:

Spoiler:
The H.E.V. charger (from the original Half Life) on the wall, and the Gravity Gun on the table. It looks like Dr. Rattman may have reverse-engineered the Gravity Gun's technology... with limited success, considering the ASHPD's capability to manipulate objects is quite inferior...
Old 04-26-2011, 05:57 PM   #37

Quote:
I see two:

Spoiler:
The H.E.V. charger (from the original Half Life) on the wall, and the Gravity Gun on the table. It looks like Dr. Rattman may have reverse-engineered the Gravity Gun's technology... with limited success, considering the ASHPD's capability to manipulate objects is quite inferior...
Ahhh... I didn't realise what it was at first... but now. he he
and I completely forgot about the H.E.V machine. Nicely picked up.
All we need now is a New Half Life game with the Portal Gun
and some other cool tech..
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 AM   #38
It's Hard To Be Humble

I have now seen and experienced Portal 2 for myself, and I am here to say that it is mighty indeed. I was a little concerned that it wouldn't lie up to the expectations that have been percolating since it was announced, but seriously, it's incredible, both in solo and co-op modes. Gorgeous graphics and amazing gameplay. I actually think it's even smoother than Portal was.

Also, HILARIOUS! The running commentaries from the various AIs and prerecorded messages are just priceless. And if you ever get a chance to watch the little video clips they have in the Extras section, do so. I hadn't seen most of them before, and was quite amused.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #39

Seems we've got DLC on the way, according to Game Informer. Not too shabby, considering that it's free. It apparently contains new test chambers for both single player and co-op modes. Adventure Gamers have posted their review as well, in case you haven't noticed it yet.

Last edited by D.C.; 04-29-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #40
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Seems we've got DLC on the way, according to Game Informer. Not too shabby, considering that it's free. It apparently contains new test chambers for both single player and co-op modes. Adventure Gamers have posted their review as well, in case you haven't noticed it yet.
*Like*