You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Portal 2! (with gameplay footage)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
merely human

Default Portal 2! (with gameplay footage)

"I can't do it if you're watching."

title - Portal 2
developer - Valve
platforms - PC, X360, PS3
category - adventure, puzzle
releases - 2011

Portal 2 gameplay footage | Valve

Preview: Portal 2 | Joystiq

Quote:
"Oh, it's you. It's been a long time. How have you been? I've been really busy being dead. You know, after you murdered me. Okay, look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster."

Both Portal and its slightly unhinged antagonist GLaDOS are back in a sequel that hopes to do more than "just extend the original game" according to Valve's Erik Johnson. "If you ask fans what they wanted, they'd say they want more Portal 1," Johnson said. "But we felt like what they're saying is that they want to be surprised again." While the addition of a co-op experience may surprise you, there's a lot of comfort food here. Not only is GLaDOS back, but so is protagonist Chell, the (slightly worse for wear) Aperture Science facility, and the game's now trademark sense of humor....
OMG, that little blue eyed sphere named Wheatly, with his English accent! I AM MADLY IN LOOOOOOOVE!!!!

Quote:
That one is Wheatly, pictured above. "He's this little personality sphere and he's been trapped here for all this time also and he's going to help you escape the testing facility," Johnson says. In the short segment with Wheatly that we saw, the English-accented ball cracked wise while helping you advance. After inserting Wheatly into a module on the wall and turning around – "I can't do it if you're watching" – he opens a "secret passage." When an automatic turret says "hello," Wheatly responds, as if addressing a beggar, "No. No thanks, we're good." That injection of humor and unique characters creates a much different, less solitary feel.
Oh, and...

Portal review | Adventure Gamers

Quote:

Whether or not you leap, Portal is a one-of-a-kind experience that's well worth every gamer looking into. Just take your time and enjoy, because "speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out" and it's over all too soon.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Writer-Designer

Shades of Joey there?

Actually, this is so cool I may have to replay Portal to control my excitement.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
It's Hard To Be Humble

Waiting to see this... c'mon, download faster!!!

ETA: That was fantastic! Can't wait for it to be released.

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 06-22-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #4

I'm not a huge fan of Steam, but the free Portal promotion last month gave me the opportunity to fall in love with this game. It's going to be tough to resist buying the sequel.

The gameplay footage looks all kinds of awesome.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
merely human

More E3 demo clips (possibly released earlier but still):

PORTAL 2: Excursion Funnel and Aerial Faith Plate | Joystiq
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #6

Exceeds all expectations! I am honestly beyond impressed. I can't wait for this!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:38 AM   #7

I'm trying to ignore all of those videos, with the delay to 2011 its bad for my sanity to even think about portal 2. Its a Valve game so i know it will be amazing, thats all i need to know for now.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
I'm trying to ignore all of those videos, with the delay to 2011 its bad for my sanity to even think about portal 2. Its a Valve game so i know it will be amazing, thats all i need to know for now.
Then its also Valve. Watching the videos now will make your life instantly brighter.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 07-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
merely human

Yet another couple of gameplay clips...

PORTAL 2: Thermal Discouragement Beam and Pneumatic Diversity Vent | Joystiq
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #10

It seems today's the day! Portal 2 is already available on shelves in Australian stores and is imminently going to be unlocked on Steam. I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to this game and I'm sure I'm not alone there. I'm going to get the PS3 version. (Which apparently unlocks a copy of the PC edition too!)
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
It seems today's the day! Portal 2 is already available on shelves in Australian stores and is imminently going to be unlocked on Steam. I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to this game and I'm sure I'm not alone there. I'm going to get the PS3 version. (Which apparently unlocks a copy of the PC edition too!)
It sure is... I'm picking up my copy today from JB hifi!! AWESOME
Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #12

All right!! Before I've played the original game, despite its great reviews, I'd never thought that "Portal 2" will be one of the most anticipated new games for me this year.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #13

I hope it's good. I've already heard some initial reviews from people who have played Portal 2 saying it wasn't that great. fake watches Rolex replica replica watches replica handbag

Last edited by Psykryph; 04-24-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 AM   #14
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykryph View Post
I hope it's good. I've already heard some initial reviews from people who have played Portal 2 saying it wasn't that great.
Really? Pretty much everywhere all I've been hearing is positive things about Portal 2. Can you recall any criticisms that were put forward? I personally thought it was superb in almost every aspect and a vast improvement over the already great original through the introduction of things such as new characters, environments, mechanics and co-op mode. If you ask me the game is an absolute must buy.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quite frankly I never got the hype about portal...

It would've been a good flash time killer, but nothing earth shattering.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, just not amazing in any way
Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #16
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

There were a bunch of trolls that flooded places like metacritic with bad user reviews on Tuesday. Perhaps Psykryph is referring to that.

My brother played through it on Tuesday, clocked in at about 8 hours, and said it's one of the best games he's ever played. Incredible new game mechanics, tight story line that builds, frequently hilarious script and great voice acting.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #17

I've finished the single player campaign and freakin' loved it.

The elaborate mythology and humour alone is reason enough to play through, not to mention the clever head scratching puzzles. The kind of challenges that look impossible at first, but leave you feeling satisfied when you finally work out the solution. A game hasn't made me laugh this much in the longest while. Actually cliche or not, Portal 2 reminds me of a roller coaster -- once you get on you can't help but to sit back and enjoy the crazy ride until the very end. (Not to mention the fact that as soon as it's over you want to experience the whole thing again. ) It's fast paced with good times a-plenty all the way through to the credits.

Don't read until you've completed the single player campaign:
Spoiler:
I particularly liked seeing the layers of Aperture Science through out the ages and fully expected to see another layer on top at the very end.
I loved the new characters as well. They all added something unique and I genuinely looked forward to playing through a new section with these different perspectives. It was incredibly generous for Valve to offer an unlockable PC edition with the PS3 version too.

I can't wait to get started on the co-op campaign...

Last edited by D.C.; 04-21-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #18

"Finally a nemesis worthy of my vast intellect! Holmes versus Moriarty... Aristotle versus... mashy spike plate!" *mashes you with spike plate*

This game is awesome.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:58 AM   #19
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I loved it! Watched my bf play through on the PS3, and the atmosphere, story and characters where so good and fleshed out.

I especially loved the more historical places, and learning about the ages and GladOs.

Squee!

Now we just have to stumble us through the cooperative levels, as I'm crap at maneuvering with a controller, and killed my bf three times on the "stand on boxes and move containers" mission in the tutorial..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #20

I've just finished the co-op campaign and once again freakin' loved it.

I preferred the single player campaign overall, but this was pretty damn unique all by itself. I especially loved when GLaDOS periodically attempted to turn Atlas and P-body against each other. Their gestures were all kinds of awesome too and it was fun to bounce puzzle solution ideas off one another. It was also amusing to see how GLaDOS treats robots in comparison to humans. Would've been nice if it had a more cohesive story like the single player campaign, but it's still the most fun I've had with a co-op game by far.