You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Video Games as Art: Heavy Rain & Riven

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #41
It's Hard To Be Humble

The Last Express.
Portal.
The Longest Journey.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #42
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Longest Journey, Silent Hill, Portal, Flower...
Old 04-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #43

If a game creates one or more deep emotional responses with the player, it can be considered art. Art is all about what the viewer feels.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #44
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
If a game creates one or more deep emotional responses with the player, it can be considered art. Art is all about what the viewer feels.
It can also be an intellectual exploration. When I was in art school many of my projects delved into ideas, issues, and concepts. Nothing was off limits, we were encouraged to challenge ourselves and each other.

Hotel, by Sophie Calle.

One of my favourite artists is Sophie Calle. Her body of work doesn't so much offer pure emotional experiences as it does states of mind, whether psychological or memory or expectations. One project she did, shown in the Dislocations group show at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, explores the idea of absence as in itself a kind of presence, but a disconcerting one.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #45

I consider many games art, but the two that have had the biggest impact on me, easily, are Shenmue I & II. These games are host to some of the most meticulously crafted game environments ever conceived. The richest atmosphere and subtle yet totally convincing narrative and characterisation. You won't find a game quite like them. Dreamfall is the game that probably comes closest, but is still so different. I keep on saying I'm going to write a proper piece on Shenmue but I just never get around to it. One day.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #46
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
One of my favourite artists is Sophie Calle. Her body of work doesn't so much offer pure emotional experiences as it does states of mind, whether psychological or memory or expectations. One project she did, shown in the Dislocations group show at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, explores the idea of absence as in itself a kind of presence, but a disconcerting one.
This is one of the reasons Riven and Myst worked so well for me. Especially in Myst, where the game took place on these deserted, dead lands where the absence of Atrus' family felt visceral.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldO View Post
Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, the Longest Journey, Silent Hill, Portal, Flower...
If you allow those games then I can easily say that GTA: Vice City, Another World, System Shock 2, almost every game that isn't a clone could qualify as works of art that elevates the form.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #48
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
If you allow those games then I can easily say that GTA: Vice City, Another World, System Shock 2, almost every game that isn't a clone could qualify as works of art that elevates the form.
Pretty much
Old 04-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #49
merely human

Quote:
Nothing wrong with that, I say.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #50
never stops believin'

Quote:
Don't use my definition, use your own - do you think those games are works of art? I haven't played 'em, though I would say I don't consider GTA IV a work of art by my definition.