You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Can you recommend AG based on my preferences?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Default Can you recommend AG based on my preferences?

Hi I am new here. Sorry about my english, its not my native language and sometimes i can't express my thoughts as I like so please try to understand.

I want to play some new adventure games that I haven't played.

So far i have finished these games and I give my rating - so that means that a game similar to the one that i rate high is a good game. I rate them so you can see what i like most:

Syberia 10/10
Syberia II 9/10
Law & Order: Justice is Served 7/10
CSI 1, 2 3 6/10
Runaway: A Road Adventure 8/10
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars 8/10
Egyptian Prophecy 5/10
Agatha Christie: And then there were none 7.5/10
Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure 7/10
Indigo Prophecy 9/10
Still Life 7/10
Experience 112 9/10
The Moment of Silence 10/10
Crime Stories 7/10

From all of these games I liked Syberia I,II and The Moment of Silence the most. Those three games have very good story and dialogue and logical puzzles that made me play 5-6 hours straight, and i didn't get bored.

Also Indigo Prophecy but it was too short - i finished it in 1 day, it had a very very good story.
__________________________________________________ _____
Broken Sword i download it and played it just because it had the highest rating in the review section and because it was on many top 10 lists of people on this forum. Although it had a good story (it was short) the graphics didn't impress me.

What i want to say is that the game graphics and artwork is pretty important too and games from 1990-1999 are basically low resolution with bad picture quality.

Also i dont like cartoonish types of AG like Whispered World or Sam And Max series.
Another thing is the puzzle system - for example Still Life had puzzles that made me solve one puzzle for ex. 1 hour and it was not in any way related to the game's plot. So hard puzzles are ok but only if they are part of the game's plot, not puzzles like making cookies.

Other important thing about puzzles is for exmaple in Still Life, at some point in the game you have to lockpick a door - and while i was doing this i spent 40 min. trying to lockpick it and I felt like playing another game and it completely draw my attention away - in other words i felt like the puzzle was put there just to make the game longer.

I enjoy solving hard puzzles but only if there is logic in them, they are related to the game's plot (story) and they are nicely implemented.
__________________________________________________ _______

The dialogue system - i liked it best in The Moment of Silence Syberia and Runaway. Basically i want to choose what questions to ask and asking certain questions - to open up new questions, not like in Still Life where you click only left or right mouse buttons.
The game story - I liked it most in The moment of Silence and Syberia - basically if the story is very good, then its ok if the game plot is linear. But having multiple ways of finding a solution to continue the game is very good, but thats rare. Basically I want powerfull and moving story.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure 7/10
Try the older one with the (almost) same name, too. It was a bit easier and since you don't really need to solve all the puzzles to open the last safe you have some breathing space, but other than that it is pretty much the same setup: You, big house, lots of safes. Pretty fun, i like.

And since from your favorites it seems to be more along the lines of what you would like give The Longest Journey a try, too. It's very similar to Syberia, or at least the same kind of game even if the feeling and atmosphere can be very diferent at times.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
Junior Mint

The Longest Journey! The story and dialogue are incredible, the puzzles can occasionally seem illogical, but they are no more illogical than those in Broken Sword which you rated highly. Being from the late 90's, it is visually stunning, but dated. You can look at screenshots to decide whether or not the game is too "old", graphically, for you. I would strongly advise against skipping it for this reason, though, because you would be missing out on one of the best games ever made in the genre.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

The Longest Journey is a good one but if you need decent graphics then I would go with the second one Dreamfall.

I know what you mean when you need decent graphics. I mean I keep hearing recommendations for games that are supposed to be awesome and when i go to look them up they are like 20 years old. I mean i was able to get through Full Throttle and Broken Sword (mostly because they have good stories) but Monkey Island was a little too hard (The updated version and the return episodes I have all enjoyed).

Other games to recommend would be the new Runaway title or Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper.

ps. thanks for recommending moment of silence, I had never heard of it and it looks interesting.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

The main problem with The Longest Journey graphics is that the models' borders look really jagged, but you can either try to use the antialiasing patch or force it through the graphic board's own control panel. Otherwise, yes, it's kind of hard on the eyes, though not really, like, OMG awful.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

Overclocked: A History of Violence, The Lost Crown: A Ghost Hunting Adventure, and Culpa Innata are a few more recent games you might like. If you have a Playstation 3, Heavy Rain, a Wii or PS2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories would be good pickups.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #7

Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, The Last Express.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

Among the new games, the one I enjoyed playing the most last year was Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis. You play as 2 different characters (Max and Nina) and I liked both of them. For me liking the people in a game is the most important part. I also enjoyed Syberia 1 and 2 and The Moment of Silence. However, I also liked the early Monkey Island games, but I was younger back then and so were the games, technically speaking.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
It's Hard To Be Humble

Overclocked.

I'll think of some more and come back to edit this. It's dinner time.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #10

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to recommend any games, I am just simply stating which games I like and why.

The Moment Of Silence - when i first started to play, I thought it will be some cliche story (trying to find a missing person, helping humanity in the fight against machines, hunting down some criminals etc), but the game's story is based on a conspiracy and until the very end you don't know what you are up against.

In Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars - I knew what the story is going to be about, i.e. the title of the game gives away the story of the game. The mystery part is until you find the manuscript, and from that point until the end it becomes clear.

Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper - I finished it yesterday - the only thing good about the game was the dialogues, the style at which they spoke in the Victorian era. Other from that - the game has very easy puzzles - which can be solved for 10-15 min. some even for 3-5 min. and the puzzles are sometimes really stupid. For example at one point in the game Sherlock Holmes sees a mutilated victim with it's organs removed. He has photographic memory and remembers everything correctly what he saw, but still, later at his home in a clay replication of the actual victim you have to put all of the organs back inside the body to find which one is missing. I can't describe that here correctly but if you play the game you'll notice how some puzzles are pointless.

From what I saw about Overclocked and the recommendations here - I think it will be my next game, and after that The Longest Journey (which I installed today, but ill play it later because i want to get into the story and the characters, I noticed it had really long dialogues to get you familiar with the environment where April lives.)
Old 04-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Off the top of my head, I would definitely suggest Overclocked since it's from the same developers as Moment of silence. It even has some of the same voice actors, at least for the main character I think. Very good game. I'm replaying it now as a matter of fact

I think you would like the two 'Secret Files' games too. Tunguska and Puritas Cordis. Very good stories (IMO) and nice graphics.

Also, if old low resolution graphics is a problem, you might want to try the two latest Broken Sword games: The sleeping dragon and The angel of death.

Memento Mori and Mata Hari are two more recommendations from me. Check the reviews on this site to find out more