You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Video Games as Art: Heavy Rain & Riven

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
Most of the things said on most of the internet forums doesn't really matter, but it's a way to kill time. In any case, there's no such thing as a fact when it comes to personal opinions. If this person said he / she thinks the game is the worst ever, then we already know the answer to your question. He is the one holding the opinion and doing the comparing, and therefor his opinion is indeed a fact--- for him.

I don't think anyone can FACTUALLY claim "This is the worst game in the history of video games, and that's it".
Not true at all. To make a factual claim, you have to have content, and games have lots of content to compare. From gameplay features to production values.

Even if I hate a game, I won't call it the worst game ever. Why? Because the game may still compare really well to predecessors and the norm of the genre.

You can't fight opinion, but you can fight facts if they are false, without looking like a dumbass.

Then again, this has no place in the discussion. Comparing games to Art is pretty much a lost cause. Art isn't defined factually. Its an emotional experience, and I have to say Heavy Rain and Riven have fulfilled that sort of thing.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #22

Let me check if i got this one right...

Heavy Rain is, say, the western equivalent of those visual novels they make by the hundreds in the land of sushi and horny tentacles, just in 3D and with some extra meaningless interaction thrown in as for the player to do something other than bore herself to death while waiting for the important and life altering choices to come by, yes? And, somehow, this is truly innovative. And, somehow, this turns the, say, thing into a true, honest to God, adventure game. And, somehow, pressing the button when prompt to brush my teeth is deeper and more intellectually challenging than pressing the very same button when prompt to not fall into a hole full of really sharp and nasty looking spikes in that hellriser guy's Jericho game. And, somehow, this makes a pretty awful plotline about killers and magic sci-fi googles turn into a truly emotionally compelling and intellectually deep tale. And, somehow, all those truly amazing, and i would venture to say miraculous, accomplishments elevate the medium of videogames to those very same heights, say, Cosmology of Kyoto, Pathologic, The Void, and Faust tried to reach and failed, that of True Art (tm).

Or, say, someone got a bit carried away and forgot to take her meds, and it wasn't me for once. My money's on this one, i have to say.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #23

Quote:
...games could not be high art, as I understand it.

How do I know this? How many games have I played? I know it by the definition of the vast majority of games. They tend to involve (1) point and shoot in many variations and plotlines, (2) treasure or scavenger hunts, as in "Myst," and (3) player control of the outcome. I don't think these attributes have much to do with art; they have more in common with sports.
- Roger Ebert

No matter how narrow minded the argument, there's a kernel of truth... There have hardly been video games released as the intention to be high art... or equally seen as high art.

Sure there's 'new media' art but not even Heavy Rain or even something like Facade or Flower be seen in the same light or the same 'cultural value'(?) as a Duchamp or a Lichtenstein without producing some sneers and giggles at the notion.

It's really odd though because there's no problem with claiming video game music as art or pixel art... as art. However, a big stink is caused when interactivity enters the equation. The answer is - of course, there probably is and will be video or computer games that will be pure art. It's not really something I worry about though - but it would be cool to one day go into an art gallery or museum to view a great interactive digital art exhibition, which is what the movement will be called undoubtedly.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #24

The 1 game that I consider as a true art form is ICO. No other game come close...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #25
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircalla View Post
Let me check if i got this one right...

Heavy Rain is, say, the western equivalent of those visual novels they make by the hundreds in the land of sushi and horny tentacles,...
Or, say, someone got a bit carried away and forgot to take her meds, and it wasn't me for once. My money's on this one, i have to say.
I'm not exactly sure what the point is making a personal dig at the end, ne'er'the less, I'll respond to the rest.

(also, I'm not a she.)

You use art as the definition of high, traditional art - which is true, but I also think films such as Double Indemnity qualify as well. I'd agree that it's difficult to qualify what art is, but I think a lot of people would say, like Riven, the ambition here was to approach that lofty concept, to use the medium of computer gaming to develop and explore adult, moral themes, and also to work to have the player emotionally engage with the characters and story.

Obviously, it didn't work for everybody, but I'd be hard pressed not to think that history will be kind to this game (but I just read a review that said "Martian Memorandum is the equivalent of films becoming talkies" from 199something, so who knows? - and it's not like Riven is hailed as the revolution it was at the time)

I'd argue that when it comes to the definition of art in computer games, unlike a fictional work, success isn't measured solely in the plot. It's hugely important, but it also should be weighted with how much emotional involvement is interactive, ie, how much the way the story is told truly involves the player - a simpler plot which might not work as a book/film can work for a game. Think about the first King's Quest - it'd be a mess of a story, but worked as a game.

As games become more sophisticated, so do the stories - and Heavy Rain, like Riven, represents a truly quantum leap in both the involvement of the player and the maturity of the themes it represents.

I understand some people don't think the game mechanics (ie, the "QTEs") didn't work for them. They certainly did for me, I had worried about it, and thought the execution, along with the ability to change the direction of the story were revolutionary.

I think the passions evoked by this game are evidence of its quality, or at least, that we all recognize that the game means something for the evolution of computer gaming.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #26

First, don't worry. It wasn't a personal attack at the end, it just seems most people here take my overly melodramatic, ridiculously superlative, kind of rambling style of writing as a personal insult while i just write like that because i found very entertaining to do so. And in any case if you pay attention it was more of a jab to me ("for once") than to you, but sorry if it bothered you. I'll try to write as a normal person since you are all super mean to me.

Now, i actually think you are right on the medium of games being able to be, like, High Art. Or Art. Or whatever. The problem, though, is that both Art and Maturity are not defined by Themes but by the way those Themes are aproached. And sure, Heavy Rain did some things right but i kind of think it is getting out of control by now. As i said it didn't do anything new and Japanese visual novels have been doing this very same thing for over nine thousand years or so, and have already refined the entire concept to a point Heavy Rain looks like a really amateur effort we if take away the really pretty moving pictures.

Or, say, we hate Japan and all things tentacular. Ok. Let's play Pathologic then, a game that's so complex it became the most precise and deep allegorical representation of Gnostic Cosmology ever entirely by accident, kind of as a side effect of all the political and cultural and philosophical levels it can be understood in. Or Azrael's Tear, who did mature themes in a much more mature, twisted, incidental, and subtle way in times before Christ or something.

There are games and other interactive things out there approaching mature themes in mature ways and really clawing themselves a place among artsy things, and by giving a sweet, wet, warm felattio to a mediocre work by a mediocre author with great production values you are making a diservice both to you and to the genre i want to think you love. Because, sincerely, if i had spent the last ten or twenty years of my life trying to make mature, inteligent, involving adventure games just for the two guys, three girls, and a cat who cared about things so niche and then some random hack with some really weak effort but a lot of money comes and gets lauded as the guy who turned games into an art form and videogame plots into seriouze stuff i would get really pissed, and i would probably send the genre, the fandom, and the industry to fuck itself sideways. Kind of what that guy who wrote Azrael's Tear did so long ago, come to think of it.

By turning a, i say, mediocre effort in a very lauded work of art and true works of something trying to approach art in niche, cult games no one cares about nor knows about we are really asking to be screwed. Dramatically short memories, limited ranges of experience, and an obsession with superlatives and getting carried away by the beautiful stranger we just met are the main vehicles to cultural degradation. To put it into another, more graphical, way it is the local equivalent of watching that Solaris aberration with that Clooney guy and say, WOW, this is really deep and complex and philosophical! This is how mature, intellectual movies should be done! While the original Solaris disembowels it with just little finger and without breaking a sweat, but no one ever watches it because its really old, ridiculously complex, and has a slow begining. And middle. And end, okay.

Sure, totally, Heavy Rain is important for videogames as an example a game based on plot, character interactions, and choices can be mainstream if they throw enough money at the hype machine, buy enough reviewers, and get themselves some pretty amazing graphics... But really, did the plot in some way force you to question your place in the world and the universe? Did you got your convictions and personal philosophies in a twist because of the spin it gave on its themes? It is like a comfortable, just deep enough to seem profound but not enough to destroy your life and your soul and your mind, movie. Yes, it is better than the horrid, acrid trash the industry tries to almost daily drown us with, but that's just like getting the first place on the special olympics. And it is more of a sorry day for videogames than a happy one the day such a pretentious and superficial little work unveils our eyes to how crappy most videogames are. Beggars can't be choosers, i guess.

If anything Heavy Rain shows us this industry is just like that industry in that truly deep shit is ignored because people do not like to be reminded they are retards or have their lives questioned, but semi profound shit carefully designed to give the feel of depth while not reaching the comfort horizon gets the oscars.

But hey, again, sorry if i did sound too harsh. I have a way with words, they say. An awful one, and a bit of an attitude. But i'm nice deep down, really. And warm and cuddly. Sometimes.

So long. Little fingers hurt.

Last edited by Mircalla; 04-05-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #27

The "what is art" argument is so tired and pointless it makes me want to blow my fucking brains out. But then I'm sure we'd be interperting the splatter on the wall behind me for weeks to come.

Art is as subjective as an opinion. The video game industry is young. You cannot compare it to mediums that are over a hundred, or, god help you, thousands of years old. What is important is to make note of important strides in the medium. Without The Great Train Robbery, you wouldn't have Birth of a Nation. Without Birth of a Nation, you wouldn't have Citizen Kane.

Film wasn't seen as an art form for dozens of years past its creation. Now, you can break down individual aspects of the damned thing. Lighting, editing, directing, acting, writing, sound design, costuming - these are not unlike what makes up a video game.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
The 1 game that I consider as a true art form is ICO. No other game come close...
I recommend this game.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
never stops believin'

Quote:
First, don't worry. It wasn't a personal attack at the end, it just seems most people here take my overly melodramatic, ridiculously superlative, kind of rambling style of writing as a personal insult while i just write like that because i found very entertaining to do so. And in any case if you pay attention it was more of a jab to me ("for once") than to you, but sorry if it bothered you. I'll try to write as a normal person since you are all super mean to me.
I'm not sure what you mean by super mean.

Quote:
Now, i actually think you are right on the medium of games being able to be, like, High Art. Or Art. Or whatever. The problem, though, is that both Art and Maturity are not defined by Themes but by the way those Themes are aproached. And sure, Heavy Rain did some things right but i kind of think it is getting out of control by now. As i said it didn't do anything new and Japanese visual novels have been doing this very same thing for over nine thousand years or so, and have already refined the entire concept to a point Heavy Rain looks like a really amateur effort we if take away the really pretty moving pictures.
I don't read Japanese pulp fiction, so I wouldn't know. Having a passing interest I know about American pulp fiction and noir films in general. I've mentioned Double Indemnity - but we could add Maltese Falcon or The Big Sleep - to a list of popular entertainment that approaches "art," which I agree is an incredibly elusive, and objective term - which is why the thread.

I was curious other people's opinions, and appreciate yours.

Quote:
Or, say, we hate Japan and all things tentacular. Ok. Let's play Pathologic then, a game that's so complex it became the most precise and deep allegorical representation of Gnostic Cosmology ever entirely by accident....giving a sweet, wet, warm felattio to a mediocre work by a mediocre author with great production values you are making a diservice both to you and to the genre i want to think you love.
Whether there are really good independent (and/or smaller niche efforts) games out there doesn't make Heavy Rain any less good. Just because uh, Fugazi rocked, doesn't mean Journey sucks.

On its own credentials, I believe Heavy Rain represents video gaming as art. I didn't say there weren't others out there.

I will play the games you mentioned, I'd love to find a thriving community of games pushing the envelope. I do love gaming - but yeah, I also have a lot of other interests, so, and perhaps regrettably so, it's the big games which are likely going to capture my attention.

That's true for most people with movies, and books, and films. Unfortunately. I believe the purchase and commercial/critical success of Heavy Rain will mean that those smaller game makers might be able to get their games produced since Heavy Rain has demonstrated there may very well be a market for games who break the mold.

As to the felattio. Ewww.

Quote:

By turning a, i say, mediocre effort in a very lauded work of art and true works of something trying to approach art in niche, cult games no one cares about nor knows about we are really asking to be screwed.

Sure, totally, Heavy Rain is important for videogames as an example a game based on plot, character interactions, and choices can be mainstream if they throw enough money at the hype machine, buy enough reviewers, and get themselves some pretty amazing graphics...
Hype didn't blow me away at 4 in the morning on the edge of my seat. Hasn't happened in a video game since...ok, I don't remember the last time. Even Riven wasn't able to produce that effect.

Quote:
But really, did the plot in some way force you to question your place in the world and the universe? Did you got your convictions and personal philosophies in a twist because of the spin it gave on its themes?
No - but that's not the point of all art. The Maltese Falcon doesn't either.
Or Plan 9 from Outer Space. But it did make me feel engaged with the characters and be able to experience the questions they were asking themselves - and it made me make a moral choice for them, which really involved me with their decisions. It was a visceral experience.

I think in that vein, for me, it qualified as art.

Quote:
If anything Heavy Rain shows us this industry is just like that industry in that truly deep shit is ignored because people do not like to be reminded they are retards or have their lives questioned, but semi profound shit carefully designed to give the feel of depth while not reaching the comfort horizon gets the oscars.

But hey, again, sorry if i did sound too harsh. I have a way with words, they say. An awful one, and a bit of an attitude. But i'm nice deep down, really. And warm and cuddly. Sometimes.
I think the field isn't as accepted as much as an artistic art form - movies can be considered entertainment or art, and sometimes both - and both are respected. With video games, no one has thought of it that way, it's thought of as a field for just entertainment. As those of us who grew up with video games age, and our tastes grow more sophisticated, games that engage and challenge those sophistications will hopefully grow as well.

To me, Heavy Rain is a significant step in that direction. And I think it's a fantastic game.

We do agree on something, the idea that the Oscars are a standard for excellence in movies is a complete and utter travesty.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #30
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
The "what is art" argument is so tired and pointless...
I agree with everything you said - except I disagree the "what is art argument is pointless." Tired, a bit fatigued, sure. But not pointless. I'm fascinated by how art forms engage and impact other people, even if it didn't work for me.

I'd say I consider Riven and Heavy Rain art, but not everyone would, although - I think the may be the closest commercially viable games that I think one day might be considered cultural touchstones for games as art.

I think it's a fascinating debate to have on what games do you consider art, and why? Forums like this are just chock full o' people debating things much more subjective. Like whether HR is an adventure game, if Lost Crown was good or bad, third person vs. first person, etc etc

Everything else you said, you said better than I did in my last post.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
It's Hard To Be Humble

Mircalla sounds like someone I used to know. Someone very dear. But that's beside the point.

I think Heavy Rain might perhaps be a bit of a late bloomer, and definitely isn't deserving of every accolade in the land. It's not even the most innovative AG (if one can dare to call it such, which I often do because I'm mean like that). However, it's high profile, it's story-before-gameplay, and it's fully animated with sound and 3-D rendering and such, which visual novels can't afford to do with any competence. It raises the bar and shifts the goalposts for what can be done with graphical adventures, and is a solid entry into high-end interactive storytelling, whatever its shortcomings may be.

Heavy Rain isn't the game I've been waiting my life to play. In fact, I'm not a PS3 owner, and almost certainly will never be, so the likelihood of me getting to play this game is remote. What I like is the IDEA of Heavy Rain and what it's trying to do for interactive storytelling as a budding medium. And if there's one thing that can convince people that something entertaining can be art, it's money, which will only come if we make more popular pieces of interactive storytelling. So Heavy Rain has its place in the grand scheme of things, whether it's as brilliant as The Last Express or as immersive as Myst III: Exile or as emotionally riveting as The Longest Journey (YMMV), it's still a dandy piece of video game, and it's not a FPS or a strategy game or RPG or MMO. It might not even be an Adventure Game, but it's close enough for my tastes, and gets closer to where I think AGs are inevitably going, anyway.

My two cents. Ta.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #32
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
....it's story-before-gameplay
I was thinking it's story-AS-gameplay. That the story itself is the "puzzle", your emotional connection to the characters as the motivation to take on the challenges, and your gut reactions or instincts, influenced by your emotional connection to the characters, as the tools to try and solve the "puzzle".

I haven't completed the game yet (left off at the end of the chapter with Shelby visiting someone at that fleabag residential hotel). But so far my experience has been as I described above.

Quote:
It might not even be an Adventure Game, but it's close enough for my tastes, and gets closer to where I think AGs are inevitably going, anyway.
I'm inclined to say that it's not an Adventure Game according to the popular and conservative definition of what an Adventure Game is supposed to be.

I don't remember any big controversy about that game Shadow of Destiny/Memories, and it was featured and reviewed here at AG without question. But that game shares similarities with Heavy Rain in that your actions and decisions expand, contract, and otherwise manipulate the details of the overall story. And yet the game is still challenging as any other kind of bona fide adventure game could be.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #33

Quote:
I will play the games you mentioned, I'd love to find a thriving community of games pushing the envelope. I do love gaming - but yeah, I also have a lot of other interests, so, and perhaps regrettably so, it's the big games which are likely going to capture my attention.
We should make a thread for a list of weird artsy games no one heard about and stuff, that would be pretty amazing.

While you are at it check on some japanese visual novel things. They are like a choose your own adventure book on your computer but with graphics, music, voice acting, maybe some minigames, and really weird divergent plot lines. Just be careful when looking around since as with everything japanese looks can be deceiving and there's a lot of really perverse stuff, and a big amount of which is actually translated into english both oficially and by the fans themselves is hardcore pornography or worse, so a good deal of research before buying is a must, though in its defense i'll say there are even romantic and porno ones with really deep and philosophical plots, something i doubt anyone but japanese weirdos can manage to pull off so elegantly. If you can read japanese you will get your mind blown on the variety alone, but even in english you can get some really cool things.

Ever17 (Watch the opening on YouTube, Read about it on wikipedia but be mindful of the almost criminal spoilers on the plot and character sections) is a really good place to begin at, since it features so much mindscrew it's not even funny without any of the perversion and depravity other titles like to throw at you. It actually has so many twists and arcs going at the same time it turns the kind of revelations other games and tales keep for the big final twist into minor revelations to throw around a lull in the story during the normal arcs, and once you unlock the epic conclussion arc after doing the four main ones it goes beyond mindfuck and ventures straight into good old what the fuck were they smoking, pal. It is a real jewel, that one.

And it has some really amazing engrish ("The story is not an end yet. Because only you are in the infinite loop." being the most infamous example) thrown in for good measure because philosophical russian or japanese games without really weird translations would be against cosmic law. xD

Quote:
I think in that vein, for me, it qualified as art.
That would launch us into the eternal struggle about what is really Art. My conception of it is more, say, metaphysical, and I wouldn't consider something i like, or something that produces an emotional reaction on me, as Art, but those things that take our attentions and contemplations to levels above, and beyond, mundane experience. But that's a problem of definition, and i can live with you using a diferent one for Art if you like.

Quote:
I'd say I consider Riven and Heavy Rain art, but not everyone would, although - I think the may be the closest commercially viable games that I think one day might be considered cultural touchstones for games as art.
Totally yes, that. My argument was that it's importance was getting blown out of proportion, not that it lacked any importance.

Quote:
Mircalla sounds like someone I used to know. Someone very dear.
I'll take it as she being cute, lovely, funny, smart, adorable, cuddly, crazy in a really cool way, and totally very perky? :3

Your next words...
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #34
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I was thinking it's story-AS-gameplay. That the story itself is the "puzzle", your emotional connection to the characters as the motivation to take on the challenges, and your gut reactions or instincts, influenced by your emotional connection to the characters, as the tools to try and solve the "puzzle".
In a convuluted way that's what I was trying to say. If we break down Heavy Rain, just as a story - say it has no interactive elements and is simply a movie, it's not the greatest thing I've seen. I would likely consider parts derivative of certain 90s thrillers (Silence, Fatal, 7, etc...)

But what's unique is that it pulls you in and makes you part of the story - the gameplay functions as part of the story - the narrative suddenly becomes much more real because of the consequences the person playing makes, whether that's missing a key or deciding to ... well, you get the picture.

There is one big moral choice in the game which left me staring wide-eyed at the screen, and panicky, in that I knew either option would have huge repercussions, for the story, for how it would change the character - and for the way I experienced it.

Riven, I would say, has a story that as a direct narrative would completely work, if of course, told in a different way. As a game, in the way the Millers presented it, flawless beauty. I still get shivers thinking about it.

Also, Intrepid, can't believe you've been able to take a break. It was two gaming sessions for me, I couldn't handle not knowing.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #35
merely human

Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
...Intrepid, can't believe you've been able to take a break. It was two gaming sessions for me, I couldn't handle not knowing.
I need to re-familiarize myself with the button layout on the PS3 controller. When I used to have the original Playstation and played it intensively, it was intuitive. But I hadn't had done so in years and just acquired my PS3 Slim. Poor Shelby suffered because of my rusty skills.

Spoiler:
He got beat up in the hotel.

Currently I'm playing Flower (gameplay clip), though that's not helping because that game's controls is minimalistic - SIXAXIS and a single button are all that's needed. Have you played Flower? Since we're talking about games as art, you should have no problem at all qualifying that game.

I'll download a few more demos and hopefully will get back on track.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-05-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
I'll take it as she being cute, lovely, funny, smart, adorable, cuddly, crazy in a really cool way, and totally very perky? :3
She was very nearly perfect. I was just a poor match for her. C'est la vie.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #37

I think people's focus on the storytelling in Heavy Rain -- while completely logical -- is also missing the point a little. The storytelling is not what makes Heavy Rain an excellent game. It's the way we interact with the story (or "play" the game) that gives it such emotional impact.

The way the game managed to squeeze genuine emotion out of me through situation and choice; emotions that I rarely (if ever) feel while playing a game...that is why Heavy Rain has artistic merit. It takes skill, innovation and balls to pull that off in a medium so focused on instant gratification.

I haven't played Riven. In fact, Revelation was the first Myst game I'd ever bought and played. The interface and style of the game was so alien to me that I never made it out of the first environment! It was kind of overwhelming.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:55 AM   #38
It's Hard To Be Humble

I think when I mention storytelling in video games, I usually remember to refer to it as interactive storytelling, which to me is a whole new medium with its own considerations and dramatic devises. That includes how you 'play' the story, which is a feature television, movies and even books can't really give you. Even Choose Your Own Adventures are static. Video games can't give you as much free agency as the concept of interactive storytelling implies, simply because of resource management, but MMOs have cracked that to an extent. This is probably why I'm waiting for a proper MMOAG. But meanwhile, games like Dreamfall and Heavy Rain bring us closer to a form of AG based on story-as-game, which is my holy grail. Might not work for all AGers (particularly the puzzle-centric sort), but I still honestly think that's where things are going.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #39
never stops believin'

Although I titled this games as art: Heavy Rain & Riven, I had thought it would be interesting what other games people could throw in the mix as to games they thought were art.

I haven't played as many adventure games as most people on this forum - so I imagine there are a quite a few that I'd love to hear about.

From my perspective, a game as art doesn't necessarily mean pretty graphics (although it certainly helps) but a combination of gameplay, aesthetics, narrative that tends to transcend the genre.

As much as I love Myst III, I don't think it makes the grade due to the fact it feels like a serialized epilogue comic book to Myst. It's massively enjoyable but it doesn't have the scope, depth, or gravity of Riven. I haven't played Myst IV (or V) yet.

What games could people throw in the mix they think qualify as art?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #40

Almost everything can be called art IMO - the term art can only vaguely be defined. But to me "Today I Die" is art. But I guess it could also be called poetry - when it comes to games the lines between art forms often more or less blurs.

It's a Flash game and only takes about 5 minutes to complete, so I'll recommend everybody to give it a spin.
http://www.ludomancy.com/games/today.php

Also, ICO for the PS2 (haven't completed it though):
http://www.icothegame.com/

EDIT: Adjusted the third sentence.

Last edited by Jannik; 04-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.