You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 04:29 AM   #261
Senior *female* member

What's the point of splitting chapter 6 in two? It's the last chapter and everybody can take as much time as they need. And, speaking only for myself of course (emphasized because people may resent my opinion), the pace of this playthrough is too slow for me. Kills the fun. If we take another two weeks just for chapter 6, even though most participants have already played the game before, it will be almost seven weeks before we're finished with an easy and not very long game.

@Davey:
Spoiler:
You certainly have a point there, the aggressiveness and change of personality suggest a recent transformation. On the other hand, we know that the barons were already hunting together every weekend in 1991, as testified by Von Zell himself and by the dates on the trophies in the basement of the club. It is quite possible that he had not yet been turned into a werewolf. But I find it hard to believe that in 1991 Von Glower, who used the revitalized club as a cover-up, also went hunting in the very same woods as a werewolf with a mysterious new beta, who cannot have been a member or there would have been pics of him, etc.

Remarkable that Von Zell stole *two* wolves from the zoo, when he’d already cut himself loose from Von Glower's way of doing things and started killing outside the reserves in broad daylight.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #262

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm still deciding on how to treat Chapter Six, but I want to say that I have to partially agree with Fien: when this playthrough started, I thought that the vast majority of the players had already completed the game, thus allowing for more a faster pace. However, this proved not to be the case, and many people have still to complete Chapter Five, which was posted, I believe, a week ago.

With that being said, I'm not comortable with leaving people behind because the fun of a community playthrough is to play the game together, and discuss about it in the meanwhile. If one remains behind, he or she will be forced to join the party - the discussion on the chapter at hand - when it's already over, and people have moved on to other chapters or, in case of Chapter Six, which is the last, to other games.

So, the bottom line is: we will try to wait for everyone as long as possible, and I'm currently hoping to be able to post Chapter Six (preceded by my thoughts on Chapter Five*) on Thursday or Friday.

* The GK3 playthrough taught that it is unwise to post my own thoughts at the beginning of each segment, and that it's much more effective if the partecipants are free to engage in whatever discussion they may like before posting my own opinion.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #263
Senior *female* member

@Andrea:
I didn't participate in the GK3 playthrough after all, so I don't understand why people would not feel free to post their own ideas. On the contrary, I noticed in this playthrough that the discussion about a particular chapter restarts after you have posted your own thoughts.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #264

I just to say Hi to all members of this nice adventure forum
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #265
Senior *female* member

Hi, new member. Welcome to the AG forums. Have you played GK2?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #266

Phew, finally finished chapter 5. Sorry Fien/Andrea, I'm trying my best to keep up . But unfortunately, between my 6yr old/girlfriend/masters degree, I do struggle to get quality time playing GK2. But I'm still in it!

I'll post up more thoughts maybe later, but all I can say is the dream at the beginning of chapter 6 is actually... kind of disapointing. I mean, everything seemed so obvious from the get go and I was hoping for a curveball. I thought maybe a lot of the earlier clues were red herrings maybe. Ah well...

But yes, the cave scene during the day, pretty creepy... Oh and Gabriel, when
Spoiler:
the wolves jump on him was absolutely hilarious. He's got a dagger for crying out loud! Why's he slapping them and shrieking? Ah well.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #267
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
the pace of this playthrough is too slow for me. Kills the fun. If we take another two weeks just for chapter 6, even though most participants have already played the game before, it will be almost seven weeks before we're finished with an easy and not very long game.
That's a good point.

I have no problem with doing Chapter 6 in one go, after all there's nothing to stop me or anyone else posting their thoughts on the first section before playing the second I suppose.

I've got some time set aside tonight for GK purposes so should be ready to press on with chapter 6 tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #268
Pixiehunter

Uhm,count me in with the opinionless about splitting chapter 6 up or not.

As for chapter 5:
Most of my thoughts have already been posted by others, so I can keep it short.
Spoiler:
To me, it is the chapter that wraps up the down to earth arc.The zoo wolf story is concluded and explained. Now there is only the werewolf business left to solve.

Gotta agree that the wolves really look unrealistic, especially when seen from behind they look more like bears than wolves.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Phew, finally finished chapter 5. Sorry Fien/Andrea, I'm trying my best to keep up . But unfortunately, between my 6yr old/girlfriend/masters degree, I do struggle to get quality time playing GK2. But I'm still in it!
It's not just you Sughly - I still haven't finished chapter 5 (no chance to play since last Thursday when I posted the translations). Similar problems - a 2-year-old son & my mother over to visit for the long weekend. I'll try & manage it this evening.

But I know GK2 well enough to not need to have caught up to nonetheless be able to read & post comments - so no probs with getting on with Chapter 6 & not splitting it into 2.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 AM   #270
Senior *female* member

I shouldn't have brought it up, don't mean to rush anyone. Sorry.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #271

Finished chapter 5! But I have to do the ending again because I had to shut down when opening movie for chapter 6 was still playing and you can't save between chapters.

Does anyone else feel totally pulled out of the game when you have to switch to disc 4 just when things get interesting?

Spoiler:
About Von Zell in the caves, how come he didn't jump Gabe as soon as he entered? The opening was bright enough, he should've seen (or at least heard!) him. It's only when Gabe lights the lamp that he looks up, and then he still just keeps sitting down there. What kind of tame wolf is that?

Spoiler:
About the concept art of the 3D wolves. Yeah, pretty phony. Then again, we are talking supernatural (and presumably non-existing) creatures here. They are quite menacing enough IMO, but they don't really blend into the FMV environment very well.

Question: how many times did you
Spoiler:
die trying to reach the cliff? It took me a long time to find out I was actually going to the wrong place. And how come you can't save when it's time to shoot?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #272

I have a lot of time actually and the pace of the PT is slow for me, but I think that's the right thing - not everyone does, because of various reasons.

Actually I played some bits twice or three times durign this playthrough. There are some comments which made me check some things in the game to verify stuff, and to see if I agree/disagree with some opinions about these bits which appear on the forum, and just to see some things people noticed and I did not.

Slow is good...
Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #273
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
Does anyone else feel totally pulled out of the game when you have to switch to disc 4 just when things get interesting?
I used the Enrico Rolfi installer, no more disk swapping.

http://gkpatches.vogons.zetafleet.com/

Quote:
Question: how many times did you
Spoiler:
die trying to reach the cliff? It took me a long time to find out I was actually going to the wrong place.
Spoiler:
I kept clicking the talisman on the wolf once he found me and I kept following him until we ended up at the ravine.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #274

Ah yes, I didn't need that to run the game.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I kept clicking the talisman on the wolf once he found me and I kept following him until we ended up at the ravine.
Spoiler:
I tried that but we kept going in circles, then he'd randomly jump me as well (guess I waited too long to make a move).

Just that I was convinced the cliff's location was where the lair turned out to be, so I tried to push him in that direction with the talisman. Then I roamed the woods some more and found the right place.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #275

Yeah finding the cliff when you needed to wasn't easy. And as for the comment about being heard in the cave, I definately agree. Something doesn't seem right there, but anyhoo.

It was definately the most exciting chapter so far. A lot of the time I just found myself thinking a) I'm glad I'm not Gabriel, or b) if I was Gabriel I would not be doing what I'm currently telling him to do . What we put our characters through sometimes...

And as for what's happening at the beginning of chapter 6 (after the dream that is), I also predicted happening. *Sigh*. I know it's all kind of beside the point but I saw a lot of this from very early on. Pretty much around the time you read the book on lycanthropy (sorry if I misspelt that!).

But I think the conversations with the club members in this chapter are very well done, particularly the one with aaahmmm, Aigner (maybe?) in the bath. Good tension there. Despite the weirdness of talking to someone in the bath .

And as for that dream sequence, I'm telling you,
Spoiler:
I could see through Von Glower early on. I think he's a great character but seriously dodgy. No-one's ever that nice in adventure games whilst being mysterious! Again, after reading the book I saw him as the alpha straight off. Also again, besides the point I suppose.

I think I mentioned it before but seriously, Gabriel shrieks and slaps like a pansy. I liked to let him die just to have a laugh at that again .

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #276

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
Spoiler:
About Von Zell in the caves, how come he didn't jump Gabe as soon as he entered? The opening was bright enough, he should've seen (or at least heard!) him. It's only when Gabe lights the lamp that he looks up, and then he still just keeps sitting down there. What kind of tame wolf is that?
Spoiler:
Well, he wasn't transformed nor about to transform anyway, and he probably knew - thanks to its primordial instincts - that he would have lost the battle, with Gabriel having both the talisman and the Ritter dagger, not to mention an handy oil lamp.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #277
Senior *female* member

Quote:
And as for what's happening at the beginning of chapter 6 (after the dream that is), I also predicted happening. *Sigh*. I know it's all kind of beside the point but I saw a lot of this from very early on.
Yep, not many surprises here. But there weren't any in the predictable plot of GK1 either, JJ is not into red herrings and twists to the story.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #278
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Spoilers for 5:
Spoiler:
Gabe doles out 14,000 marks cash for a bit of info! Man, that’s crazy. In the book he promises Dorn a cheque.

Spoiler:
I don’t feel at all the game is screaming at me that Von Glower is the alpha, which was pretty obvious anyway. If there is any screaming going on, it’s Gabriel’s subconscious telling him what he refused to see because he felt drawn to Von Glower’s charismatic personality and to the freedom and excitement of his “philosophy”.
I completely agree with you there, Fien. That he would put out that much money is pretty ridiculous, and I agree that in the dream, his subconscious is probably "waking up".

I also was disappointed that Von Zell
Spoiler:
didn't do anything when he was caught in the cave eating, or before. That eating noise right before Gab lights the lamp is hecka creepy, though.

I have a question reguarding the ending movie of Chapter 5, though.
Spoiler:
When we see the hairs of Von Zell when Gab is running out of the cave, they are brown, not like the red ones we found near Tony Huber's killing. If we are to believe that the hairs are Von Glower's red hairs, then why is he referred to as the Black Wolf? I'm assuming his wolf form is also black, so where does the red come in? Or is that actually Von Zell's hairs, and I'm just going color-blind?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #279

Quote:

@Davey:
Spoiler:
But I find it hard to believe that in 1991 Von Glower, who used the revitalized club as a cover-up, also went hunting in the very same woods as a werewolf with a mysterious new beta, who cannot have been a member or there would have been pics of him, etc.
Spoiler:
I'm certainly not fixed on my "previous beta" idea, but I don't see how von Zell being a werewolf already in 1991 fits with the changing number of killings, or the changes to his personality. But I certainly wasn't thinking that a previous beta was a member of hunt club - as you rightly say, there'd be evidence of that (and there isn't). But there's no reason why von Glower couldn't have been involved in other similar groups - strikes me as the type who'd have fingers in a number of pies...

As for von Glower going "hunting in the very same woods", you make it sound like it's a literal copse of a couple of square kilometers. Do keep in mind that the Bayerische Wald is a massive forest area (not wood) of around 5,000 km² - it wouldn't be too tough for von Glower to avoid accidentally stumbling across other club members
Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #280

Quote:
Yep, not many surprises here. But there weren't any in the predictable plot of GK1 either, JJ is not into red herrings and twists to the story.
Exactly. I don't think there were any surprises re who the "villain" was in GK1, 2 or 3, though that certainly doesn't mean all happened as I expected. I think JJ manages some unexpected twists at times, but they're not of the Agatha Christie kind.

Quote:
all I can say is the dream at the beginning of chapter 6 is actually... kind of disapointing.
Personally, finding out that
Spoiler:
Ludwig II killed the doctor & then committed suicide (in this JJ reality anyway ) was an interested and slightly unexpected twist...but then I guess that's what comes of living in a Bundesland where the death of Ludwig II is a topic which occasionally comes up for discussion. Guess it's not so interesting for other people.

Quote:
I used the Enrico Rolfi installer, no more disk swapping.
Yep, I also got this going after I had to reinstall the whole thing after a problem. And it's definitely an improvement - thanks Fien!