You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
Errrr...everybody who speaks a language has an accent. If you mean he doesn't have a stereotypical German accent, then you may be right, but that's a positive, not a negative. As I've highlighted previously, one of the flaws with GK2 is that the "German" characters speak English with extremely unrealistic WW2-style German accents - come on down Michael & Leber.

I actually like Dorn as a character very much...though certainly wouldn't as a person . Comes over in a suitably suspicious & untrusting way until Gaby gets his wallet out - then he becomes horribly obsequious & slimy.
I meant he sounds like an American, makes me wonder if he is suppose to be German

I do agree everyone has a stereotypical German accent. Well not the head of police (forgot his name), he reminds me more of a KGB agent than anything else

Are any of the actors native Germans?

Thanks for clearing up the spoiler, I forgot about that.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #242

Ok I'm done with the chapter. Wow this has to be one of my favorites, if not my favorite chapter. I just love the ending part is so intense.

Spoiler:
I think I'm beginning to understand and appreciate Gabriel's struggle more, I just love the idea Andrea was talking about earlier, of having a battle between his old "primal" way of life and the more spiritual one of the Shattenjagers, and the transformation in a werewolf is the perfect way to illustrate this. I loove this game so much!!

The whole von Zell's issue with the zoo wolves and Grossberg becomes clear at the end, I think I was making the mistake of intending to know everything beforehand, being this my second playthrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post

I did not like that in the beginning of chapter 6:
Spoiler:
That they basically scream at the player HE IS THE ALPHA WEREWOLF!!!

I mean come on, not that it is not obvious, but at least give a couple hints before going out and saying it.

One question, is von Glower immortal or was that not his picture in the locket?
That's what I pointed during chapter 3

Spoiler:
From when he spills the wine I think is pretty clear that he's the Black Wolf and hence the Alfa Wolf. So I don't know if this is done on purpose, that we and not Gabriel are supposed to know this all along, or if it's supposed to be just a hint... but anyway by the end of Chapter 5 now the game makes it evident
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #243
Dreamfall Soon!

Ok, I'm only partway through Chapter 5 (just got to the cabin), but I didn't post my thoughts about Chapter 4 so I'm going to do that too:

Chapter 4:

I remember the first time that I played the game I must have tried a hundred times to try to get into that stupid tower in the museum! Anyone else?

I love this chapter because of the stories and I think the game does a brilliant job of allowing us to piece together the background of Ludwig and Wagner and their connection with each other and the game.

I know many people don't agree but I love the actress who plays Grace. I think she does a great job and fits how I expect her.

The only truly bad acting in the game is, IMO, the Yale professor that Grace talks to. He was awful.

I ended Chapter 4 with 380 points.

Chapter 5 (so far):

I don't know why everyone dislikes Leber so much. I think he is so over the top and funny that I love him.

I agree with the above about Dorn...he is appropriately creepy.

I also just wanted to note that I love Preiss and the actor who plays him. Sleazy but in a fastastic way!

That's it for now. Looking forward to posting my thoughts after I finish Chapter 5.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #244
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Just out of curiosity: has it been decided which game is going to be #14?
Old 03-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #245
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Same thing happened to me after talking to the Smiths about Grace's dream. I replayed it and clicked through all of the movies (including the one that occurred right before the crash) and didn't have a crash the second time around.
ok thanks i guess i will have to restart the chapter lol oh well, still i dont have to listen this time lol... well maybe i will lol

As for playthrough 14 maybe instead of a playtrough have a replaythrough of gabriel knight 3.

any takers

Marise-Chiko
Old 03-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #246
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandcliklover View Post
As for playthrough 14 maybe instead of a playtrough have a replaythrough of gabriel knight 3.

any takers
What's the point of having another GK3 community playthrough, there will hardly be any new insights. If you want to play the game again, why not simply play read the comments in the community playthrough.

PS: Last year, I suggested Bad Mojo for a new AG playthrough. Sanitarium is also a possibility. Personally, I'd rather not participate in another one so soon.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #247

Monkey island 2 would be a good choice when the re-release comes out this summer.

Why not finish up the Gabriel Knight series though? There has been a playthrough for GK 1 in the past. (did you do GK 2 as well?). Also, there are some of us here who are just playing the series for the first time
Old 03-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #248
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Why not finish up the Gabriel Knight series though?
Because there already has been a GK3 community playthrough. Less than a year ago. Number 10. Do a search.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #249
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Because there already has been a GK3 community playthrough. Less than a year ago. Number 10. Do a search.
I was worried about that. I want to join the next community playthrouh if that was going to be GK3, or any other sequel for that matter, I was thinking of play the earlier entries in the series before.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
I agree with the above about Dorn...he is appropriately creepy.

I also just wanted to note that I love Preiss and the actor who plays him. Sleazy but in a fastastic way!
Sounds like we agree 100% about both of them

Quote:
I meant he sounds like an American, makes me wonder if he is suppose to be German
What accent a person has largely depends on where they learnt it. I knew a German who sounds 100% like she comes from Liverpool (her boyfriend was from there), I know Germans who have Irish accents, American accents, even one with an Australian accent! What I've never encountered is a German with an accent like in a bad WW2 movie...i.e. like Michael or Leber.

Quote:
I do agree everyone has a stereotypical German accent.
Don't agree - some are perfectly believeable - for example, Klingmann, von Aigner, Henneman; Georg, Josef Dallmaier, Gerde & Hr Huber are also decent.

Quote:
Well not the head of police (forgot his name), he reminds me more of a KGB agent than anything else
See above. Think you're mixing his personality & his accent.

Quote:
Are any of the actors native Germans?
It's an interesting question - I'd be interested if there's a definitive list. I think we established that the woman in the museum is. My guesses would be: Klingmann, Henneman, the woman in the post office, the policeman in Chapter 1, the man in the cuckoo clock shop & the woman with the Weisswurst. Also definitely possible are Gerde (don't think we ever hear her speak German but her English sounds about right), Josef Dallmaier, maybe Harry. I now think von Aigner probably isn't German (English is realistic, but German sounds a bit strange so I don't think so...however, that could just be an accent)
Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #251

A couple of thing that always interested/puzzled me with the killings...(big full-game spoilers coming up):

Spoiler:
Everything points to von Zell being responsible for the latest killings. But the info from Harry on missing persons in the Bavarian Forest is very interesting:
Till 1970: only 1-2 missing persons a year
1970 to 1990: 10 - 12 missing
1991: 17 missing
1992-3: 12 missing

Two interesting things here:

i) von Glower started the Bayerische Hunting Lodge about 1970 I think (Xaver told Gaby the exact time - can someone confirm) so presumably since then he's been killing about 10 a year in the Bayerische Wald (Bavarian Forest) and the same number in the other area mentioned by Harry (forgotten which that was). Why then couldn't he have been responsible for the recent killings? And why his (apparantly) genuine disgust for them and how they were taking place. Doesn't seem to fit with these facts. I think the game leaves the impression he was disgusted with them because von Zell wasn't in control, but killing 20+ people a year doesn't sound like in full control either...?

ii) Why the increase in 1991? Maybe it's a fading memory, but as far as I remember, we discover nothing that relates to this matter later in the game. True?

Would be interested to hear thoughts & also from Andrea & others as to whether these 2 points are explained in the book.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #252

Quote:
Sanitarium is also a possibility.
There is a good deal for Sanitarium on GOG right now.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 PM   #253
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm almost done with chapter 5. I'm going to save the last little bit for later... one, so I can go right into chapter six, and two, because it's late and I'm a little freaked out. Just now I went to take my dog outside to pee and I heard noises in the bushes and... yeah.

A few small comments about the chapter...

Spoiler:
I love Harry's line after Gabriel asks him for the money to pay off Dorn... "Perhaps you'd like to make out a will, while we wait?"

Regarding Dorn's accent:

Spoiler:
I've always assumed he's American. In fact I think Grossberg is American, too - why else would his letter to Von Zell be in English?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #254

Something that happens in both chapters 3 and 5: I used to think that Harry was a bad guy, always reporting to the main villain when Gabriel leaves his office.

Dorn is played by Jack Orend. He's played Germans before, though I can't find his nationality. Many American shows on his resumé, though.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #255
Senior *female* member

Score: 513

Gabriel really shines in chapter 5. I especially enjoyed the forceful way Gabe confronts social climber Klingmann and shows his contempt for him. His boyish act and the sardonic grin are great, but it’s good to finally see evidence of his intelligence and emotions when he pieces everything together in the woods... well, almost everything. Dean Erickson’s performance is fine, I honestly don’t understand what some people have against him. (Tim Curry in GK1 was topnotch, but I didn’t care for his over-the-top voiceacting in GK3.)

Spoilers for 5:
Spoiler:
Gabe doles out 14,000 marks cash for a bit of info! Man, that’s crazy. In the book he promises Dorn a cheque.

Strange that Von Glower’s perceptions of the other club members prove to be rose-colored in chapter 5. He should be an excellent judge of character. Or was he just pretending in order to impress and lure Gabriel.

Von Zell is not a werewolf when Gabe finds him eating his victims. Don’t know what to make of it. That Von Zell has completely lost his mind?

The cutscenes and the dreams are impressive, very well done. Spoiler for the opening movie of chapter 6:
Spoiler:
I don’t feel at all the game is screaming at me that Von Glower is the alpha, which was pretty obvious anyway. If there is any screaming going on, it’s Gabriel’s subconscious telling him what he refused to see because he felt drawn to Von Glower’s charismatic personality and to the freedom and excitement of his “philosophy”. I love that you hear Leber and Von Glower say things they have never said in reality. Very dreamlike.

In 1996 the werewolf in the woods broke the immersiveness for me. The Gabe and Grace avatars walking at Marienplatz or Rittersberg were bad enough, but the combination of a cut-out actor pasted against the photograph of a wood by night with a non-FMV werewolf were too much. Full FMV doesn’t really lend itself for 3rd-person adventures and I think Sierra is the only company that made them. (The indie game Wrath of the Gods is a notable exception.) I thought the wolves ridiculous, not scary at all. They still bother me, but not as much. I suppose the game has grown on me, I certainly like it much better than I did back then.

More nagging about annoying details.
Spoiler:
Like Davey said, Uebergrau’s translation of the tape doesn’t quite match the German text. He translates more than he hears, the tape stops too soon twice. The word “police” is missing and at the end Gabriel’s name. Sloppy again. How hard is it to get this right.

When Gabe was examining the ledger at the station I heard both the piano music and the familiar police music at the same time.

Grossberg’s letter is in English. Cosima Wagner’s precious, locked up diary that nobody is allowed to see is in English. Sigh. Jane wanted this game to take place in Germany, so find a convincing way to solve the language problems. Shouldn’t be that hard.

The wolf tags look different when Gabe shows them to Klingmann. Looks more impressive to dangle them from chains they didn’t have when he found them, I suppose.

About Davey’s question:
Spoiler:
I always assumed Von Zell joined Von Glower in 1991, so the number of killings went up. Maybe after a couple of years Von Zell started to “outgrow” his lord and master, and went looking for victims outside the relative safety of the nature reserves, like Tony Huber?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #256

Quote:
Dean Erickson’s performance is fine, I honestly don’t understand what some people have against him. (Tim Curry in GK1 was topnotch, but I didn’t care for his over-the-top voiceacting in GK3.)
I understand it having played GK1 afterwards because there is a difference in the impression of Gaby as a character; but Dean Erickson's performance in itself is fine. Agree 100% with Fien re Tim Curry in GK1 & GK3.

Quote:
Spoiler:

Von Zell is not a werewolf when Gabe finds him eating his victims. Don’t know what to make of it. That Von Zell has completely lost his mind?
Spoiler:

I think there's some indication of this in the lycanthropy book (though don't quote me on that) - that the "Werewolf" doesn't have to be in werewolf form to be acting in that way.

Quote:
Spoiler:

In 1996 the werewolf in the woods broke the immersiveness for me. The Gabe and Grace avatars walking at Marienplatz or Rittersberg were bad enough, but the combination of a cut-out actor pasted against the photograph of a wood by night with a non-FMV werewolf were too much. Full FMV doesn’t really lend itself for 3rd-person adventures and I think Sierra is the only company that made them. (The indie game Wrath of the Gods is a notable exception.) I thought the wolves ridiculous, not scary at all. They still bother me, but not as much. I suppose the game has grown on me, I certainly like it much better than I did back then.
Spoiler:

For sure it's a weakness, but one I can live with. The part I found genuinely scary was the cut scene with Gaby finding von Zell during the day, not the wolf at night.

Quote:
Spoiler:

Grossberg’s letter is in English. Cosima Wagner’s precious, locked up diary that nobody is allowed to see is in English. Sigh. Jane wanted this game to take place in Germany, so find a convincing way to solve the language problems. Shouldn’t be that hard.
Spoiler:

For sure it's an obvious flaw that Fr Wagner's diary is in English, and a few other bits too. I guess Jane Jensen didn't constantly want Gaby or Grace to be constantly having to get things translated, but that bit did grate a bit. Don't think it would have been that easy to stylishly solve though (How often do you want to have to take things to Harry to get them translated?)

Quote:
[spoiler]
About Davey’s question:
Spoiler:
I always assumed Von Zell joined Von Glower in 1991, so the number of killings went up. Maybe after a couple of years Von Zell started to “outgrow” his lord and master, and went looking for victims outside the relative safety of the nature reserves, like Tony Huber?
Spoiler:

Don't think that's right Fien - I'm sure there's a number of indicators suggesting von Zell was only recently turned into a werewolf - that's when & why the current killings started. I think there were comments (from Preiss amongst others) about von Zell changing & becoming more aggressive. It also wouldn't explain why the number of killings went back down in 1992 & 1993. My own theory would be that von Glower (unsuccessfully) turned someone else into a werewolf in 1991 and that was the reason for the increase in 1991.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #257

I was wondering about the increase in 1991 as well - maybe there is something more about that in the book?

As for von Zell -

Spoiler:
Evidently he was a chosen pet of von Glower's before Gabe. After becoming a werewolf hovewer, he could not supress his instincts for killing, as von Glower can (hence more or less steady rate of dissapearances). The werewolf curse overwhelmed and corrupted von Zell, and not being able to control himself, he became just a wild animal, aggresive, hostile and insane. That of course made him boring and even dangerous to von Glower, who conveniently used Gabe to get rid of his old, used up and crazy plaything, to gain a new one at one occasion.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 AM   #258

Spoiler:
The Wagner diary should've been in German. Georg's there to translate for Grace.

The Grossberg letter is another matter. Gabriel is so deep into it at that point, there's just no one he could go to for a translation at that particular moment. I don't know whether the information the letter provides could have been delivered in another fashion.

I still have to finish the last part of chapter 5, but I don't want to hold everyone up so please continue if you want.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #259

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I'm trying to wait for everyone, since Chapter Six is the last one, unless, of course, you don't want to split it in half,

Spoiler:
before the segment at the theater and then from the theater on

I'm open to suggestions. What do you think it's best? One segment without interruptions or two smaller but still consistent segments?

Let me know!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #260
Failed Birthday Elf

I've got to say that I haven't started Chapter 5 yet as my gaming time has been severely limited recently. However, feel free to press on without me, as i'm sure i'll be able to catch up later on this week.

With regards to chapter 6 I personally feel that it would work well done in two smaller sections as you have suggested Andrea, but i'm happy with whatever really!