You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM   #61

Me too! (Though having buggered around with my CD-Rom & DVD Drives, I may have to play through day 1 again. Still, I'll survive ;-)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Without saying too much about this I developed something of an obsession with good old Weiss Wurst after first playing through the game. but everywhere we went seemed to be sold out of it although it was advertised!
Amazed you were in Bayern , and yet didn't find anywhere with Weisswurst :-0. Definitely bad luck. Just make sure that if and when you do finally get the chance, you don't eat the skin - then you would look like a tourist
Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #62
Pixiehunter

I'm ready too.
It has only been a year since I last played GK2, so I kinda sped through the first chapter. As in GK1, the first chapter is nice, but doesn't really pull me in yet. It is still to...how to put it...realistic? In the here and now? It will not be until the next day that the story will deepen, get its flavour.

As for the
Spoiler:
tape splicing, I remember when reading the manual that I saw something about it, but as I also saw that that was part of the game, I skipped it, because I am like that: anything that can be potentially remotely spoilerish, such as puzzle explanation, I don't read. With as a consequence that I had no idea about splicing. Later, when I read it, I found out it basically tells you that you need to use it in chapter 1. Had I known that, I wouldn't have been stuck with no idea how to get to those wolves.

As for the old/new Gabriel. I think I like both. I like the explanation about him being less sarcastic because he has lost Malia. Never though about that, but it so makes sense! I also think this Gabriel fits in with the atmosphere of the story, a bit dark...

Anyways, I'm ready for chapter 2: let the story begin!
Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #63

I'm ready too! Although I don't know if I would be able to play until the weekend, but I should be ok, providing that I remember must of the puzzles...

@DaveyB and Fien: Thanks for the translations, I figured it wouldn't be anything special or that we couldn't deduce it by what is happening and body language and such... still is great to get to understand everything, makes me feel more immersed
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #64

I am ready as well

BTW Andrea, could you post a screenshot with the bible & other books at the Huber farm? There is no such bookcase in my version of the game.

Last edited by KasiaD; 02-25-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 AM   #65
Failed Birthday Elf

Ready and willing!

Incidentally, for anyone following the playthrough but not playing along, or anyone who might have missed it first time, check here for video evidence of some funky 90's womens clothing courtesy of Ubergrau's secretary (first 25 seconds should suffice!).

Also check out the infamous sausages at about 6 minutes 20!

Video is entirely composed of action on day one so should be completely spoiler free for anyone who has finished it, but as an uber-hyper-conscientious-over-the-top safety measure don't watch beyond 7 minutes if you are concerned you may not have seen every last detail of Marienplatz on day one (no spoilers for story or puzzles in any event).
Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 AM   #66

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Later today I will post Chapter Two.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #67
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I thought that's what you had to do too! Everytime I'd done something new I thought 'oh good, now I can go buy sausages'. But no
Oh my god, me too. I can't even count the number of times that I went to that store to try to buy sausaage.

I haven't played Day 1 yet but I will play Day 1 and 2 by over the weekend to catch up. I just replayed the game within the last year so I remember a lot. This is such a fantastic game. I can't wait to get to some of the later chapters.
Spoiler:
Any scene with Van Glower is gold.

When I first played GK2, I had only played GK1 without the speech pack so I never associated Gabe with Tim Curry. I was still a bit disappointed with Gabe at first mostly because I thought he lacked so much of the humor from GK1. However, I grew to love this Gabe by the end of the game.

From the get go I thought Grace was fantastic. Exactly what I pictured the "real life" Grace to be during GK1.
Spoiler:
I can't wait until we get to later chapters and her interactions with Gerde. They are so great.

Day 1 isn't the most riveting day but it sets a tone.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #68

CHAPTER TWO

This is not the first time Rittersberg has seen the work of a werewolf...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #69

One minor flaw with GK2 is the English voices/accents of the German characters. Almost all characters speak English with perfect grammar, excellent range and appropriacy of vocabulary and expression...yet most speak with a cliched German accent like something out of a bad WWII movie. As a teacher of English to adults, I can vouch that (virtually) no German speaks like this. They might say "I wisited (instead of visited) my mother at the weekend" , but certainly not "Vat shall I do viz zat?". Maybe the worst perpetrator is Michael who (apart from being wonderfully camp as mentioned ) has a dreadful fake German accent. Shame Jane Jensen didn't get that bit sorted out better.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #70
fov
Rattenmonster

This was the first GK game I played, so I thought of Dean Erickson as THE Gabriel Knight. When I first played GK3 I found the Tim Curry version kind of rude and annoying. I like his personality better in GK1 than GK3, I think. Now, having played them all and with the perspective of many years, I see that GK2's Gabe isn't as clever with his jokes as he could be. But the character still works for me.

One of my favorite moments in Chapter 1:

Spoiler:
When Michael can't think of the word "hybrid"

His hand gesture and the look on his face crack me up every time.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM   #71
Dreamfall Soon!

Are we allowed to start talking about Chapter 2 now?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
One of my favorite moments in Chapter 1:

Spoiler:
When Michael can't think of the word "hybrid"

His hand gesture and the look on his face crack me up every time.
This is indeed hilarious!

As for the three different Gabriels, even if The Beast Within was my first adventure in the series, I had no problem with the other two, because originally I played GK2 in Italian (wonderful localization, by the way! The best I've ever seen in a computer game). Even when I later played GK1, it was the floppy version without voice acting. So, in the end, I heard Tim Curry version of Gabriel for the first time only in GK3

Old 02-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #73
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
Are we allowed to start talking about Chapter 2 now?
Since Andrea has already posted it, I think we're allowed. Aren't we, Andrea?

Well, I've finished day two. I think it was easy. Except for the part that
Spoiler:
we need to find the werewolf records on 1700's. I've spend a lot of time clicking on those tombs in the church, trying to find some date related to the records. After a while, I've decided to check if the fireplace man was still in castle. He wasn't...

A few surprises in this day. Like
Spoiler:
controlling Grace, it was very interesting, I was not expecting that. And what was that cutscene in the end of the day? What a crazy guys!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 02-27-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #74
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
I think it was easy. Except for the part that
Spoiler:
we need to find the werewolf records on 1700's. I've spend a lot of time clicking on those tombs in the church, trying to find some date related to the records.
Oh, you just made me realize something.

Spoiler:
I clicked on a few of the tombs without really thinking about it. Then later, back in the library, I didn't understand how Grace knew to take down that particular shattenjager's diary (the one from the 1700s). I thought it was a leap of logic in the game, but is the idea that she saw his tomb and birth / death dates on the tomb, so that's how she knew he was the Shattenjager whose diary would relate to the trial in the 1700s...? Makes more sense now!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #75
Dreamfall Soon!

A lot of background gathering in this chapter. I think the next chapters are where the game really takes off. I love playing as Grace. The interactions between Gerde and Grace are great. Grace can be a witch() when she thinks someone is trying to take something that she believes is hers.

I like that Grace reads the books and diaries. I like it when people read to me rather than having to just read everything myself.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #76

I really like this chapter. I love the atmosphere of Rittersberg and the whole research and background stories. I know it may not be the most exiting, but if there's something I love in adventure games and specially GK is all the realism and historical background that we get to learn. I loved playing as Grace, it gives the whole Shattenjager universe a new perspective and it complements perfectly with Gabe's side.

I think my favorite thing in this chapter, other than the fascinating research on the werewolves cases of course, is the tension between Grace and Gerde. It gives so much to the story and characters, I just love how
Spoiler:
Grace feels annoyed with the thought of Gabriel being with Gerde, it tells a lot about her and her deep (unconscious, mystical?) bond with Gabriel. I think is one of my favorite parts of the whole adventure.

I also love
Spoiler:
the arrival of the Smiths at the end, it gives a touch of humor to the game, while remaining mysterious and dark.

I just get so fascinated with seeing how the history of the Shattenjagers start to unfold before us. Whereas in GK 1 Gabe just starts to learn about this, now we become more acquainted with the history behind the shattenjagers and things that had happened to them, even if just for this particular case. Doesn't makes you want to dig that library to look what they have had to deal with over the centuries?

Wow fov I was wondering about that too!

Spoiler:
When I picked up the first diary, Victor's I think, I kept thinking how did she know which diary to pick, and thought that because of the dates in the covers that she deduced it could have information... but then I forgot about the tomb, so that's how she knew which diary to look for. It makes more sense now.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #77
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Oh, you just made me realize something.

Spoiler:
I clicked on a few of the tombs without really thinking about it. Then later, back in the library, I didn't understand how Grace knew to take down that particular shattenjager's diary (the one from the 1700s). I thought it was a leap of logic in the game, but is the idea that she saw his tomb and birth / death dates on the tomb, so that's how she knew he was the Shattenjager whose diary would relate to the trial in the 1700s...? Makes more sense now!
Spoiler:
Erm... Actually, I'm not sure if the diary has something to do with these tombs, because there wasn't any tomb dated in 1700's, hehehe. That's the reason I said I've wasted time (pixel hunting) there.

I remember Gerde telling us (in GK1) something like the library was exclusive for schattenhagers use. Since that case was witnessed by schattenhagers and schloss ritter is an ancient place, it made sense to me that grace would find something in 1700's.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
I like that Grace reads the books and diaries. I like it when people read to me rather than having to just read everything myself.
I didn't like finding that out after I read the werewolf book in total silence .

Spoiler:
Entertaining chapter to say the least. I liked hearing about the darker events from the past. I don't like Grace as much as I did in the first game. The way she acts in GK2 makes me wonder what would happen if she was alone in a room with Malia in GK1 . It was cool to see Gabriel's room was somewhat similar to how it was in the first game. Looked at the window and was thinking "Oooo thats where I got the snow!" Shame the table that had the scissors and such was gone as well as the words above the library door.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #79

First of all, sorry! I'm a little late this time, but this week-end has been really busy and I'm still recovering from all the 'run here', 'do that', 'go there' and so on. Yesterday I was so tired - I can't remember the last time I walked so much - that I couldn't even muster the force to play Mass Effect 2. Anyway, here's my comment on Chapter Two.

Schloss Ritter: from VGA to FMV

Schloss Ritter, which we got a change to see at the end of Sins of the Fathers has been completely overhauled for The Beast Within, a thing in-game cleverly masked by the actual renovation the castle underwent, thanks to the money Gabriel snatched from the Voodoo Hounfour. The schloss' general appearance has become less stark and wintry, and more cozy and homely, with warm wooden tones, rich carpets and dainty decorations substituting the grimy and bare stone walls seen in the first adventure. On the other hand, the main bedroom has remained pretty much the same, and only the mantelpiece has ostensibly changed from Sins of the Fathers, along with the four-poster bed (now a simpler one) and some general furniture (gone is the mirror, and we've gained a wardrobe). The Schattenjager library, like the hall, has been revamped in more a drastic way and it is the only location that really bears little to no resemblance with what we've seen in the first game: there is a large window in the room now, allowing more light to flow in, and the bleak stone has given way to warm plaster covering the walls, while the bookcases have been rearranged in a more tidy way. We've also gained many adornments, like a Madonna statue and some Medieval weapons on the walls.

The intent of these renovations - beside being obviously motivated by budgetary reasons - is to make Schloos Ritter a less foreboding, alien place and more an operational base for the Schattenjager and his assistants, like we can see in Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned's opening graphic novel, where Gabriel and Grace both work as a team in the library. However, there is even a more subtle reason: aside from the opening sequence, Schloss Ritter is Grace's main location and the ambiance of the castle - again: cozy, homely, warm - serves two purposes: in Chapter Two (and part of Chapter Four), this atmosphere is in clear contrast with Grace's hostility toward Gerde, to the point that the homely atmosphere itself fuels Grace's suspicions toward Gabriel's relationship with the housekeeper ('the love-nest in the Alps'). In the latter half of Chapter Four and in Chapter Six, on the other hand, the atmosphere will mirror...

Spoiler:
... Grace's new attitude toward Gerde, after the realization of her love for Wolfgang, and Gerde's more friendly attitude toward Grace in turn. This change is also evident in the brief cutscenes that trigger upon exiting or entering the Schloss in Ch. 4 (after the crypt scene) and Ch. 6. In the novel, this change is wonderfully depicted: "'Never mind,' Grace said, her blush deepening further still. 'Anyway, I'm sorry about before'. Gerde took a quavering breath and smiled tentatively. 'Okay.' 'Really?' Grace lokked at Gerde hopefully. 'Because I was hoping you wouldn't mind talking over dinner - about the case, that is. Will you help me figure things out?'. Gerde pushed away her tears, her smile lighting up. 'Yes. I would like that very much.' ".

Occult Lore: On Werewolves - Part 2

Not without reason did the werewolf in past centuries appear as one of the most terrible and depraved of all bond-slaves of Satan. He was even whilst in human form a creature within whom the beast - and not without prevailing - struggled with the man. Masqued and clad in the shape of the most dreaded and fiercest denizen of the forest the witch came forth under cover of darkness, prowling in lonely places, to seek his prey. By the force of his diabolic pact he was enabled, owing to a ritual of horrid ointments and impious spells, to assume so cunningly the swift shaggy brute that save by his demoniac ferocity and superhuman strength none could distinguish him from the natural wolf. [...] what other end, what other reward could he look for than the stake, where they burned him quick, and scattered his ashes to the wind, to be swept away to nothingness and oblivion on the keen wings of the tramontane and the nightly storm.

Montague Summers, The Werewolf in Lore and Legend, Dover 2003, pp. 123-124 (originally published in 1933 as The Werewolf)

Real-life Locations: Marienplatz

Unfortunately, Rittersberg doesn't exist, but Ipkiss - who goes under the name of GKFAN4LIFE on this forum - has surprisingly found its real counterpart! I'm going to link to his videos, but, if this is your first time through the game, it's perhaps safer to delay them until Chapter Six, because they might contain spoilers. I'll try my best to signal which videos are safe to watch for everybody.

Real-Life Tour to Rittersberg Castle (exterior) (Spoilers from Ch. 1 and Ch. 2)
Real-Life Tour to Rittersberg Castle (interior) (No spoilers)
Real-Life Tour of Rittersberg Square (very mild spoilers from Ch. 1, Ch. 2 and a two-second clip from Ch. 3)
Real-Life Tour of Rittersberg Post Office (Spoilers from Ch. 4)

Chapter Two in the Novel
Christian Von Ritter's journal was easily found by the dates written on the spine: 1838-1864. Curiously, as with the journal of Gunter Ritter that Wolfgang* had sent to New Orleans, the handwritten entries were in English. Could the family have originated in the Green Isles? Their patron saint, St. George, was England's own. Such a history was undoubtedly in these journals somewhere, but she'd have to take one mystery at a time.

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, Roc 1998, pp. 67

* Actually, Jane Jensen mistakingly refers to 'Werner' here. I corrected the name in Wolfgang to support the in-game canon.

I hope that this paragraph - coupled with the notion that Gabriel Knight 4 was to be set in England - will answer the question about the diaries' language I believe I've read somewhere in this thread or in our past playthrough.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #80

Chapter two is really entertaining and fun -all the research and exploration

However I was really dissapointed by Grace here... She morphed into some kind of jealous-obsessed shrew with high pitched voice and manners of a bulldozer - just pathetic. From previous game we know she is a buddhist and practises tai chi - obviously not hard enough. How to explain that Gerde, a hausfrau from a village shows more dignity than our Harvard-educated (it was Harvard, wasn't it?) Grace is beyond me.

GK4 set in England - that would be a dream come true.. But seeing the direction the game market drifts towards, I would not be surprised it turned out to be a casual