You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight 2 opera question (spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
Pixiehunter

I guess Von Zell was way less cunning than the Black Wolf anyway, so an easier prey, especially for the combined efforts of a Schattenjäger and the Black Wolf himself, who has managed to outwit Christian Ritter, and besides that has many years of experience.

Von Glower himself had to be tricked in such a way that he would never guess (even with his years of experience and cunning and all that) that it was a trap. And who would expect an attack during an opera. Even more, what werewolf would expect to transform. Maybe the idea was that the forced transformation should get him off guard.

Still... One major flaw in Grace's plan: she locked the door from the box, but Von Glower (especially in wolf-form) easily jumps down from the box (I thought the to do list meant actually starpping Von Glower in his chair).
And maybe she herself should have had the gun. Or she should have told Leber about it (but he would likely not believe her, so logically she did not) or just anyone who knew about Von Glower who could easily shoot him upon transformation (because: how many people take a gun to an opera? ). Now everybody just stared in awe and did nothing, even Leber with the gun.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellardoor View Post
Oh, something just occurred to me: Is it perhaps established somewhere that a werewolf can only be killed while in wolf-form? That would explain the necessity of the opera, since normally a werewolf would only transform in situations that are favorable to him.
Indeed, that would explain things.
But I wonder...the "extra" a werewolf has is the practical immortality because of that quick tissue regeneration. Only those heart and brains that would kill it...Why would a werewolf in mere human form being even more immortal than in werewolf form?
Besides...I am not sure here, but wasn't Von Ralick burned after he was transformed back to human form? Or did he transform back to wolf before burning?

Last edited by Luna Sevithiainen; 06-07-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I guess Von Zell was way less cunning than the Black Wolf anyway, so an easier prey, especially for the combined efforts of a Schattenjäger and the Black Wolf himself, who has managed to outwit Christian Ritter, and besides that has many years of experience.
I don't know, I get the idea that Von Zell was a right SOB, but scenes in the game seemed to show that he was a bit tormented, I'm wondering if Von Zell intended for Gabe to kill him to release him from the curse.

I always found Von Zell an interesting character and wish we had found out a bit more about him.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #23
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadefalcon View Post
I don't know, I get the idea that Von Zell was a right SOB, but scenes in the game seemed to show that he was a bit tormented, I'm wondering if Von Zell intended for Gabe to kill him to release him from the curse.

I always found Von Zell an interesting character and wish we had found out a bit more about him.
Maybe he did want Gabe to release him, but if he did, he probably did not know that as long as his blood was tainted he could not go to heaven, and even worse, because he had tasted human blood he was damned forever. But I think he can't have known that. I mean, how could he know, he likely hadn't read the lycantrophy book...Unless Von Glower told them all there is to know about being a werewolf. Which I doubt. Had he known that eating human would have damned him forever, he'd likely not started. Then again, maybe damnation isn't that much of a threat as it was some centuries before. And it wouldn't be wise for an alpha to tell a beta how to get rid of the curse
But given the nudgings of Von Zell when you try to shoot Von Glower it seems that he does know this...
Funny how long you can muse about who knows what and why

On a different opera related note...the diary of Wagner's wife entioned a letter that Ludwig sent to Wagner, which Wagner burned, but of which she had read some snippets. Something about triumph of one and destruction of another, clear so far, but then it says something about Ludwig being likely to die, but at least being free to go to heaven.
Why was Ludwig likely to die during the opera? And why did Gabe stay alive so....well...easily (at least during the opera itself). Maybe because Ludwig would be attending the opera too and therefore also transforming and being shot? Weren't there earplugs in that time yet?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

Perhaps Ludwig would also be exposed if he was there, but considering he had not taken a victim yet, he would consider it a worthwhile risk as long as Von Glower/Von Ralick was killed.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #25
Stalker of Britain

I so wish I could read the book. It would shed so much light into a game I otherwise enjoyed.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #26
Senior *female* member

Jane Jensen is not a very good writer. She's a great storyteller, but that's not the same thing.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #27

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Jane Jensen is not a very good writer. She's a great storyteller, but that's not the same thing.
I must disagree. It's true that the first novel, Sins of the Fathers, is quite weak (it's pretty much a walkthrough of the game, valuable for additional information on the setting and the characters and not so much for the literary value). The Beast Within, on the other hand, is really enjoyable and many descriptions, much like in her games, are extremely atmospheric and eerie.

Her other two books, on the other hand, Millenium Rising and Dante's Equation, are really great. The second one was even shortlisted for the Philip K. Dick Award. Of course, we are talking about genre fiction, and whilst she's not comparable to - just to name a few American novelists - Micheal Cunningham or Thomas Pynchon or Don DeLillo, she is a good writer. And, as Fien said, an awesome storyteller.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 06-08-2009, 03:33 AM   #28
The Quiet One

I agree with Andrea, that the Sins of the Fathers novel isn't particularly well written, but The Beast Within novel is more enjoyable. The writing is certainly an improvement. Either way though, i prefer Jane's storytelling in the games compared to her writing in the novels.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour