You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Residual - Grim Fandango revisited

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #1

Default Residual - Grim Fandango revisited

All you Grim Fandango fans out there, are in for a treat, as a project from those that brought you ScummVM, is finally in the spotlights.

Residual, once a sub-project of ScummVM, transformed into a seperate project, started anew with its own website with good hopes that the developement will finally be shifted to the next gear and the project will proudly continue the legacy of its 2D sister project, ScummVM.

With Residual, you can run Grim Fandango on a wide range of modern computer systems. You can try it out on various incarnations of Windows, Mac and Linux, and many other ports are yet to come. The aim of the project, besides portability, is to solve the now-so-common compatibility isues, and for the games to run smoothly and better than ever before.

Currently, the project is in its alpha stage and has limited functionability, but with the help of the adventure gamer community, the progress of project might consistently speed up and any form of help at all, is more than welcome.

You can give support to the project by simply showing interest, stopping by to say hi, in the IRC or project forum, and share your experiences, and maybe even join our merry bunch.

With Residual, Grim Fandango could escape the ruthless fate of older games and instead it will do quite the opposite, and re-emerge onto many new ports that the original designers never even dreamed of being possible - much like ScummVM, a project with a reputation to its legendary portability and effeciency.

This game should be brough to a state of compatibility immortality it truely deserves and with this, new generations will have the opportunity experience this great game, many of us played it enjoyed it the first time and nth times playing it.

Adventurers with coding experience can help the develop the code, which would indeed be most welcome. Mastering code itself with reverse engineering is a great endeavour and with helpful souls willing to join the cause it will be surpassingly easier. So don't be a stranger and join the team.

Another game of the same game engine, Escape from Monkey Island will come after the work on Grim Fandango is complete.

So boys and girls, please help out to make this happen. This is worth discussing especially between adventure gamers in this unique forum. Thanks to all of you who read this post and have a nice day. VIVA LA REVOLUCION
Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
J.H
Frak.

This is great news, Grim Fandango is an amazing game I'm glad further generations will be able to play it. I however played it only last month and got it working fine on a relatively new computer running windows XP (I always changed it I can't stand Vista) but I know many others have problems getting it to run.

Thanks for this guys.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #3

it is also worth mentioning that Residual might one day run other 3D adventure games and be a ScummVM 3D counterpart. That might be in the not so distant future.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrythefish View Post
it is also worth mentioning that Residual might one day run other 3D adventure games and be a ScummVM 3D counterpart. That might be in the not so distant future.
evidence of this: http://residual.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=9
Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

gratz for the effort you put into this mate
Old 05-12-2009, 10:29 AM   #6

That's great to hear! How exciting! I just replayed it recently ago. Works fine on Vista with the patch, but there are still some bugs even with the patch that can use some fixing.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
That's great to hear! How exciting! I just replayed it recently ago. Works fine on Vista with the patch, but there are still some bugs even with the patch that can use some fixing.
I *just* finished replaying Grim Fandango! What patch is that??

Plays flawlessly in Vista, only problem I had is if you turn on 3d Acceleration and set it to Hardware (as opposed to Software Rendering). It made some of the 3d models all 'scratched out'.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elven View Post
I *just* finished replaying Grim Fandango! What patch is that??

Plays flawlessly in Vista, only problem I had is if you turn on 3d Acceleration and set it to Hardware (as opposed to Software Rendering). It made some of the 3d models all 'scratched out'.
This one http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=patch
Old 06-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
High Table's Low Chairman

I think Residual is meant to surpass the patch, making the game playable for a much wider range of systems. My patched GF is still a bit buggy; once you enter the options menu, sound stops.