You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Game Only You Love And Noone Plays and/or Everyone Hates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #41
Queen of Lightning

To the OP: Yup, anybody who disses Morrowind, needs to be tied to a stake and fed to the slaughterfish!

I tried to play the X-file for the first time the other day, but sadly, I couldn't get it to play either!

Anyway, my contribution to the thread would be: Keepsake. I loved it so much that when I saw some screenshots of it the other day, I felt like playing it all over again. Nobody else seems to share my love though. They all get stuck with silly Mustavio's voice, and you hardly even see him all that much in the game...
Old 06-01-2009, 12:27 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
Apart from the weird finale, I really enjoyed Mystery of the Druids. Think I'm the only one though.
I enjoyed that game too. Although I don't remember the finale
Old 06-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #43

In terms of adventure games, I thought people were too easily turned off by Phantasmagoria 2. Taken for what was - trashy fun - it was interesting and quite entertaining in parts.

And I will also ruffle some feathers and say this... Toonstruck was a good game. Is it unfair what happened at Virgin? It's not Toonstruck's fault - Toonstruck was a slick production with great talent involved much like Broken Sword.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
I liked Largo Winch. Not a great game, but enjoyable. It has the feel of a decent action movie. (While having adventure game gameplay.)
That's actually an excellent description of the Largo Winch game. I'm awful at action games, but I do like a good action film from time to time, so that's probably why I liked this game so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
Torin's Passage is a game I enjoyed a lot. (But I don't think I'll ever play the "Phantasmagoria-boria" games.)
Nice to see someone else liking Torin's Passage! Phantasmagoria 2 has some gameplay issues that it shares with other FMV adventures, but the story alone is strong enough to make it to my favourites list.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:29 AM   #45

I haven't heard much praise for either of the Safecracker games, so maybe they qualify for this thread.

I just finished "Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure", and loved it! I played the first (Safecracker) years ago and liked that quite a bit, too. Perhaps they fit into the "Adventure Game" category rather loosely as they are basically one puzzle after another, but both do have a story behind all the puzzles.

So, if they count, maybe I should also mention "Jewels Of The Oracle" as well, which is another Puzzle/Adventure game I really liked and haven't heard much praise for.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #46

The Safecracker games and Jewels of the Oracle were puzzle games, not adventures. I don't know of anyone who enjoys puzzle games who disliked them. I enjoyed them very much and wish there were more good puzzle games like them being made.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #47

My vote goes for The Dig. It was and still remains to be my favourite adventure game (and I've played my share, don't worry). I'm listing it here because, in general, it seems to have gotten rather horrid reviews.

I love science fiction. I love asteroids. I love isolation. I love random banter. I love crystal ships. I love string music. I love purple. I love discovery. I love superior technology. I love stories about people getting addicted to something good, turning them bad. I love fables about pride that comes before a fall. I love aliens. I love Steven Spielburg. I love Robert Patrick... did I miss something?

Only change I'd make to that game is a redesign of the cutscenes, but otherwise... <sigh of nostalgia>
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #48
Stalker of Britain

Well, for me it has to be "Blackstone Chronicles". Now, people do like it, but most of the time, I hear, "Well, it was good, but I had to stop playing since it was so detailed in what really happened", or something to that affect. I like that it goes into detail, and I don't mind it, even though this kind of stuff really did happen.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #49
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
In terms of adventure games, I thought people were too easily turned off by Phantasmagoria 2. Taken for what was - trashy fun - it was interesting and quite entertaining in parts.

And I will also ruffle some feathers and say this... Toonstruck was a good game. Is it unfair what happened at Virgin? It's not Toonstruck's fault - Toonstruck was a slick production with great talent involved much like Broken Sword.
I agree, both Phantasmagoria and Toonstruck are great games. Are those considered to be bad by most people? I actually replayed Toonstruck recently. The psychotic clown is my favourite character in that game.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 AM   #50
Explode the Universe!

Send a message via MSN to SnorkleCat Send a message via Yahoo to SnorkleCat

Well I very much enjoyed Scratches and I've heard it dissed more than a few times and in more than a few places...I think it was a big effort for a couple of independents and I appreciated it.

...And BTW, anyone who disses Morrowind, you just send 'em over here and I and my fellow members of The Dark Brotherhood will make 'em disappear for ya. Capiche?

...er... just kidding... I think. >.>
Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #51
Stalker of Britain

I myself liked Scratches, but it didn't "do" so much for me. I still like it, but it can't hold a candle to Jonathan Boakes' game, IMHO. It was a wonderful effort by such a small team, and I hear only good things about it.

I also seem to like Dark Fall: Lights Out, when most everyone else was sorely disappointed by it, but then again, I am the Ultimate Fan!
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #52

I don't know if it counts, because they certainly received good reviews. But the new Sam & Max games from Telltale. The humour is spot on, the graphics are good, the story is great and I just love to play them. They remind me of younger days.

I grew up with my first adventure being Zork and Leather Goddess' so have many fond memories of playing all the LucasArts classics, and to see that style of game again made my heart sing. I really don't understand people who say things like: "MI3 was good back in the day but man Telltale suck hard at adventure games". First, MI3 is a latecomer to the adventure scene and second the telltale games are *good* games.

They are quite easy, and that makes them short (even the whole series) but they are so enjoyable with the great score and great humour that I really don't understand the sometimes strong negative reactions to them.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #53

Yes, the XFiles game was good.

For some reason, I like replaying Drowned God, maybe because of the soothing voice of the Bequest Globe. Some of the others are:

The Neverhood - Leon Redbone rocks
Return to Zork, because the cheesy music takes me back to childhood.
eve - got to like Peter Gabriel
Burn Cycle - the Buddha

I guess musical scores stay with me longer than the games themselves sometimes.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #54
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
And I will also ruffle some feathers and say this... Toonstruck was a good game.
Toonstruck was great. (Why are you mentioning it in this thread? I haven't heard it being disliked much.)
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #55
never stops believin'

I'm glad people liked the X-Files game - this forum is definitely a different audience, but I thought it was a masterfully designed game, and I was floored by its poor critical reception.

I wish I could get it to work on a modern system, I got to a fairly good ending, but from what I understand there were even better endings.

The games people list on here are interesting - I think it's interesting that Roberta Williams says that Phantasmagoria is the game she's most proud of, yet, even on here, people think of it as a mixed bag.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #56
Stalker of Britain

There seems to be a lot of people who don't like Post Mortem but like Still Life, and I'm currently playing "Post Mortem" and loving it!! The dialogues are so different, and you can only get so much information out of the person; it's awesome so far.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #57

I thought Post Mortem was OK, but the way the characters heaved around during conversations was just weird.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #58

Most of my favorite adventure games are underrated and/or generally disliked.

I liked Torin's Passage, Toonstruck (one of the best adventures I've played in a long time), Woodruff and the Schnibble (I liked Goblin's Quest 3 as well, which seems to be a bit underrated as well), Space Quest 6 (not commonly disliked, but seldom named as one of the best games of the series) and Callahan's Crosstime Saloon.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #59
Stalker of Britain

From what I've read, lots of people liked "Toonstruck". I haven't heard a cross word about it...

And with aspects from games, I seem to be the only person in the world who actually liked Cedric the owl from Kings Quest 5 and the character models from "The Lost Crown"...

Last edited by Fantasysci5; 06-04-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:15 AM   #60
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Fantasysci5, Cedric never bothered me at all....I never really understood why people hated him