You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Game Only You Love And Noone Plays and/or Everyone Hates

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
never stops believin'

Default Game Only You Love And Noone Plays and/or Everyone Hates

List one (adventure) game that you love and it never caught on big, and you don't know why AND/OR a game you love that everyone else seems to think stinks.

I'll start:

I said one, and I really want to grouse for awhile how pissed I am when my the small group of friends I have who plays games make fun of Morrowind, but I can't say Morrowind because it's not (technically, I really hate these genre niche/limitations/small-mindedness) an adventure game and tons of people have played it, but it does bother me that some people think it's boring.

My REAL ANSWER IS:

The X-Files game. The old FMV one. I played it through it in one night without sleeping (only one other game did that for me and it rhymes with Hist), and I thought it might be the best game in the history of games. I called my friends the next day to tell them all about it. I couldn't get them in it, Gamespot gave it like a 2.5 score, and it was a disastrous commercial failure. I've never met anyone who's played it other than me. I promise you it was a great, great game.

I can't get it to run anymore on my PC or my fiancee's Mac and it bums me out. I still think it was just a terrific, fantastic, exciting game that captured the essence of being a pretty good X-Files episode*.

Your turn.

* I should mention I'm an unrepentant X-Files fan.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

I quite liked the X-Files game, so that means you have no example left.

What about Spycraft:The Great Game?
Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Seeker Of Red Herring(s)

Not that no else liked it, but I really loved Starship Titanic and... I gather that I'm not exactly in the majority.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #4

I loved the x-file fmv game especially if you are a x-file fan. What could be better than actually trampling around the x-file universe with real sets and real people , it's like you are in an tv episode with mulder & scully.

I got it for PC & PS1 , great to play it on the big screen TV.

Not to mention , in the game , you can actually get Mulder & Scully killed.

I also like psychic detective , the fmv game although reviews generally pan it. Cheesy acting but i sort of enjoyed the ability to jump into other people's mind and see from their perspective.

Last edited by marshal99; 05-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #5

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files Game too. Maybe you've underestimated it?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Mikane, I also really liked Starship Titanic, although I never managed to finish it.

My own propositions: The Labyrinth of Time - amazing atmosphere + lots of great puzzles, the Darkseed games, the Valhalla games (they were popular on Amiga, but the PC port went mostly ignored).

In addition, I sort of liked the cheesy and occasionally boring sci-fi FMV game with Tia Carrere titled The Deadalus Encounter, but I wouldn't really call it love.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Do ya have a reservation?

Clandestiny!!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Another one here who loves the X-Files game! I'm a huge X-Files buff
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 AM   #9

My vote would go to another FMV one - Black Dahlia.

Whilst it did seemingly get some good reviews it got a lot of really bad ones too. Admittedly some of the puzzles were a pain, but as for atmosphere - incredible! One of, if not the best of all time in that respect.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #10
Easily amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Therma View Post

Whilst it did seemingly get some good reviews it got a lot of really bad ones too. Admittedly some of the puzzles were a pain, but as for atmosphere - incredible! One of, if not the best of all time in that respect.
The Black Dahlia is one of my favorite games. I've played it twice; the variety of puzzles was the best part for me.

Rhem (the original) is one of my top ten games that most people hate.
I thought it was challenging, interesting, and constantly mind engaging. I took my time, and after a while found that the environment was like a old familiar neighborhood - lots of passages, paths and doorways. A real masterpiece.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 AM   #11

Apart from the weird finale, I really enjoyed Mystery of the Druids. Think I'm the only one though.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #12

Inherent Evil. It recieved awful reviews when it was released in 1999 or so, and it does have a few quite severe design flaws. Don't think many copies were sold. But I loved it. It's impressively scary for being a pure adventure game. The setting is the same as in the first Delaware St John game (same people behind both games) but Inherent Evil has a much better story and a much more adult tone and scary atmosphere. Highly recommended if you can find a copy and enjoy horror adventures. An updated version was released a couple of years ago with some of the aforementioned design flaws fixed.

Heard there's a sequel in the works. Hope it's true!

A more recent game is Flower, Sun & Rain which I really enjoyed but which few others seem to care for at all.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #13
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Zork Nemesis.

Everyone I (used) to know looooved Zork Grand Inquisitor, and hated Z:N. I loved it...the disturbing mystery, the time-travel, the ghosts and alchemy, the severed body parts(lol)....one of my favorite games EVER. Just a unique, weird story.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Therma View Post

Black Dahlia definitely doesn't belong in the category of "no one plays/everyone hates".
It's true that it's a little underrated though.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:53 AM   #15
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Black Dahlia definitely doesn't belong in the category of "no one plays/everyone hates".
Yeah, it's one of my favorites as well. It is certainly much more loved by todays critics than Dreamweb - another classic in my opinion.

Also, Azrael's Tear is a brilliant game (and with great reviews) that unfortunately is very hard to come by, so not many people know it.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:15 AM   #16

Dracula: The Last Sanctuary

I remember playing this game on Playstation, with a drug addict in his prison cell, when i was a guard in a small military prison. I'm not making this stuff up!..
The prisoner was a nice kid, but he hated the game. He'd never played an adventure before, only RPGs and the like, so i had to help him with most of the riddles.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
Agree that it doesn't belong to the category of "no one plays/everyone hates" , black dahlia was the pinnacle of the fmv gaming era , the largest fmv game around spanning 8 CDs , beating phantasmagoria's record.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #18
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikane Zaprick View Post
Not that no else liked it, but I really loved Starship Titanic and... I gather that I'm not exactly in the majority.
I really loved Starship Titanic! I got it for Xmas one year...big box with a book and audio tapes. I couldn't finish it without the hint book, but that's nothing new for me *remembers trying desperately to read a Kings Quest hint book without the red cellophane thingy*

I'm not really sure what games I like that people don't like, but I do quite often read a review of a game after I've played it and found others didn't think it was as good as I did, or they noticed flaws that I didn't. Evil Under the Sun is a recent example, I thought it was brilliant!
Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #19

Oops, seems I underestimated the popularity of Black Dahlia then. I had no idea it was so well received.

Latest Reviews
- Samarkand
- Brain Hotel
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Towel Day
Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #20

I think of Black Dahlia as the last big FMV game as the FMV era pretty much start to die out by that time. Overseer , X-file game & Black Dahlia were the last of the FMV type games produced during the year 1998.