You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #8: The Lost Crown

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #381

I hadn't time to play day 5 yet.
Why finish in a rush?
Nobody interested in a discussion anymore?

Thanks for the wonderfull experience, Fantasysci.
Thanks for your input, Jonathan. I hope there are a few Pins and Needles Editions left, i have to buy one as soon as i have a new Visa Card.
Have fun with Dark Fall 3 - i try not to get impatience while waiting.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #382
Stalker of Britain

I'm sorry seagul!!! Everyone had mostly said they were at the end, so we've said everything we need to say. But if you have anything you'd like to say about it, go ahead.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #383
Senior *female* member

Yeah, thank you Fantasy for a very enjoyable playthrough!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #384

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

So what's the next play through? How could anything stack against this in terms of rick symbolism per screen? (RSPS)

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 04-10-2009, 10:41 AM   #385

So this are my closure remarks regarding the lost crown. Sorry i'm so late, hadn't time to play.
It seems that everybody who died in the past, died around may day. For example Christina and Edward Molina, Cole Tawny, alistair Farleigh, Evelyn Ackland, Emlily Travers (she dies when the pasqueflower was in bloom), it seems even the Karswells dies then. So what about Ganwulf himself? And what does it mean?
Hardacre seems to hide the crown - but he wants Nigel to find it (and solve the sitiation).

Here the and of the story as i understand it. It seems to fit in what Jonathan Boakes wrote earlyer:
Someone said, the whole game is only a computer simulation. But thats only half the truth. Maybe the events take place in a computer, but the programm depends on real photographs. The programm can take the souls within the photographs and make it alive in a simulation.
In the beginning of the game we her about a kind of transmission that is beeing made by Hadden. Some souls wanted to come to our world, as Mr. Hare reports. Would be very unsafe - happily they only can come to the Saxton-simulation, not to the real world.
The simulation is a place where ghosts can become alive and communicate with "real" persons like Nigel.
But there is danger even in the simulation. Nigel has a near-death experience while he is bringing the crown back to Ganwulfs grave. Lucy begs Nigel to breath, while he begins to see the white light. After he restores the crown he sees the white light again and is back in the Saxton-simulation.
The last person we see is Mr. Hadden, watching the simulation on his monitor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Jonathan, I believe, gave advice somewhere that the biggest clue to Mr. Hadden was in the very beginning. Some think it might be the title screen where you can choose to start, etc. But I was thinking of that logo.
The shadow of the person in the logo looks, with its hat, like Mr. Hadden. The shadow is different from the person, who makes it. So who looks like the person? That must be Mr. Hadden in disguise.

I love this game. It is nearly perfect in every possible way. Not even the lack of dialogue skipping disturbs me - it is part of the magic: you can't play it in haste and without to listen well.
I love the idea of seeing through Nigels eyes. Following him, as he stepps into different zones, times and thoughts of peoples and ghosts.
The lost crown as
Quote:
A token item that gives the landscape meaning, purpose and texture
is an ideas in the same direction.
Everything becomes its meaning through the thoughts we wrap around it.
So i believe, it is every one of us who gives this game (like every other item) its special meaning.
Thanks to all for the experience!
Cant wait to play Dark Fall 3.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #386
Stalker of Britain

It's alright, Seagul!! You're fine, and thank you for posting your thoughts.

I agree it's weird most of the ghosts died near May Day, and I love your idea about the computer simulation being made from real pictures. I've liked that idea since I first heard of it. Would the original pictures Mr. Hadden use have those characters in them? I agree that Mr. Hadden must be someone we know. I'm thinking of characters in "The Lost Crown", but are at a loss. No character is really like him at all.

I'm glad you liked it, most people did if they could get past the beginning.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #387
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

This is funny...I just started playing The Lost Crown over the Easter weekend without knowing there was a Community Playthrough going on. I must say I love the game so far. I think I'm a bit more than halfway through (am currently investigating the Northfield Church at night).

My only beef so far is the inability to skip dialog and certain action sequences. The 3D character modeling is also a bit cheesy.

Other than that--I don't know why I've put off playing this game for so long. I think I had a preconceived notion about it that made me think it wasn't going to be something I would like, but I am pleasantly surprised and happy to admit I was wrong!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #388

Send a message via MSN to therabidfrog

So how often do these community play throughs take place? Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind playing Overclocked again or something new is good for me.

"There be knockers down here..." - T.G. 1884

My review of The Path
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #389

shezcrafti enjoy the game!
I hope the playthrough helps you. What a pity that we have finished.

therabidfrog it would be a nice idea to be part of another playthrough, even if i can't image a better play than The Lost Crown for such an experience.
I liked Overclocked. So why not try it?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #390

Just got this game today. I must say it's not my usual adventure game but after reading it was made with wintermute (the engine I'm using) I thought I should check it out. It seems quite good so far but the voice acting of the main character is an absolute joke. I mean trying to create tension and mystery with that slightly comedic voice is not a good idea IMO. I wish I knew why he stopped all the time also, it's; like... he talks, like; this.

Another thing that bugged me is how you can't click anywhere in the screen to walk to, it has to be on the directional arrows.

Apart from that though the game looks great so far, graphics are nice (although the animations are terribly clunky) and it created a spooky atmosphere from the word go.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #391
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul View Post
shezcrafti enjoy the game!
I hope the playthrough helps you. What a pity that we have finished.
Thanks Seagul! I actually finished the game last night and I LOVED it!

I wrote a spoiler-free review of The Lost Crown on my site, if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN
It seems quite good so far but the voice acting of the main character is an absolute joke. I mean trying to create tension and mystery with that slightly comedic voice is not a good idea IMO. I wish I knew why he stopped all the time also, it's; like... he talks, like; this.

Another thing that bugged me is how you can't click anywhere in the screen to walk to, it has to be on the directional arrows.
Yeah, Nigel does have a bit of a William Shatner thing on, but for the most part I found the voice acting to be pretty outstanding. (But maybe that's just because I've played a lot of adventure games where the voice acting was atrocious.) ITA with your complaint about the walking. Similarly, you couldn't speed up or skip through some of the lengthier sections of hiking & backtracking (The Pinnacles, anyone?). If you can overlook these things, the game is first-rate!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #392

Wonderfull review!
You're totally right about:
Quote:
The Lost Crown is equal parts scary and sentimental, and this, I feel, is one of its strong points.
The Lost Crown is not one of these one-dimensional-storys. And for that it affects me in different ways, like a one-chain-story never could.
At the end of the game I feel that every thing is all right, as Nigel and Lucy state.
Must be some Narrativum involved in crating this game!

Sorry, can't verbalize it correctly in english.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 PM   #393
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
I wish I knew why he stopped all the time also, it's; like... he talks, like; this.
I'm glad you're enjoying it, J-Man! haha Jonathan, who made the game and also voiced Nigel, has gotten a lot of flack for that. He actually has explained somewhere why he purposely did that. He said he wanted it to sound like a B-movie, overacted and over-the-top. I'm not sure where he's said this, maybe in his blog.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #394

Ah I see, was the wrong move for him lol.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #395
Stalker of Britain

Oh he knows. He's been getting so much flack for that...he knows now. lol
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #396

One more question

about the photo album in Nigel´s bedroom:

There´s one spot which stayed empty when I played through the game.
Did this happen to you as well ?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #397
Stalker of Britain

Hmm, I'm not sure. I can look; what were the other pictures of around the empty spot?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #398

I have to take a look myself
I´m still at work

I´ll tell you later ...
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 AM   #399
Stalker of Britain

I miss this playthrough, actually. lol
Old 04-28-2009, 07:44 AM   #400

me too

I didn´t take part in it actively, but I really dug reading through the theories and comments
whilst having a (most of the time non-alcoholic) drink and smokin a cig