You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bore, bored, boring...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #21
Stalker of Britain

Ugh. I did *not* like "Brave New World". Interesting idea, but totally dropped the ball, at least to me. And I'm not too fond of games taking place in a futuristic world, *most* of the time. Thanks.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Oh-and sorry for being so naive, but where would you get Indie games? *blush*
You can just click on all the links I mentioned
Old 07-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #23

Moment of Silence was an excellent game. I am anal about voice acting and I thought Moment of Silence was solid in that area.

"The programmers were probably drunk while programming the title. An example: the character is near the bed, and you click on the PC which is only a meter away on the left. So, the character returns by the entrance, on the right, proceeds then in the living room next to the bedroom and finally reaches the computer."

who cares? Almost every game is like this.

As for the story/plot it was really well done for the most part and was a breath of fresh air among the stale adventure games that came out in mid 2000's
Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #24
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel4444 View Post
"The programmers were probably drunk while programming the title. An example: the character is near the bed, and you click on the PC which is only a meter away on the left. So, the character returns by the entrance, on the right, proceeds then in the living room next to the bedroom and finally reaches the computer."

who cares? Almost every game is like this.
Actually, no they're not. In any case, House of Tales fully admit pathfinding in Moment of Silence was somewhat broken. Thankfully they resolved that for Overclocked.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #25

Well, almost all futuristic/cyperpunk stories are bound to have influences from 1984 and brave new world. Like you said Fantasysci I'm also all about the story in adventure games and I thought the story and dialog was good and kept me interested throughout the game.
It's been a while since I've played the game but I honestly don't recall having any problems with the voice acting. Maybe it was not top notch but definitely not awful. And I think I would remember because voice acting is pretty important to me.
I guess there were some technical problems but they didn't bother me that much, definitely didn't keep me from enjoying the game.

Now as far as your dislike about games taking place in the future I don't know what to say... It is obviously that kind of game but like you said there are exceptions. For the record I didn't like "Brave New World" that much either.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #26

Moment of Silence was a very good game. Which just goes to prove that beauty (or boredom) is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:14 PM   #27

Quote:
* The programmers were probably drunk while programming the title.
Actually, not always.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #28
Stalker of Britain

Okay, that sounds better. It's not that I don't like futuristic games; I liked Longest Journey. I dunno what it is. But, if it's not like Brave New World, then I'll give it a shot! All of these games have good and bad reviews, I just get so confused...lol
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #29
Stalker of Britain

And kind-of back on topic, I have found that I'll be very interested in a game at the beginning, but then in the middle I get bored with the plot/characters that I stop. For instance, at the moment, "Black Mirror" and "Syberia" for me. I don't know why. It's not like I gave up on them. lol
Old 07-27-2008, 03:18 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. Like many of you guys, the most important things in an adventure are - for me also - the story, the plot, the characters. In my humble opinion, TMoS hadn't any appeal in any of these areas - the technical glitches are something that disrupt the suspension of disbelief, making what happens of the monitor ridiculously distant.

The point is that I didn't care about the story nor the characters, therefore the technical problems drove me away.

For Overclocked, I read that they resolved most of the problems.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #31

IMO the most important thing in a game depends on the game. I don't expect an intricate plot or deep characters in a Kheops game, but I can enjoy them for other reasons.

I can't say the characters were particularly memorable in Moment of Silence. I can't even remember the hero's name. But I thought the story and the themes were interesting and I enjoyed the game despite the occasional pathfinding problems.
Spoiler:
Whenever a favorite website disappears from the Internet I am reminded of the value of hard copy for long term storage, and I think of how things were slowly censored over time in the game, so that no one noticed. No I don't expect some computer AI to try to take over the world for its own good. It's more likely that certain humans would do that for politcal reasons. But it is much easier to censor information when it's only stored in digital form at a central location.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #32

In TMOS it took me two minutes to discern the movement and I had zero "technical glitches." Your computer may be at fault or perhaps you failed to apply the patch which is available. The story, the plot, and characters were well crafted imo and the opinions of others and I fail to see the need for the ongoing bashing you seem to be bent on in regards to this one title in several threads. We get it. You didn't like the game. Let's move on.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #33
Stalker of Britain

haha Stupid question, and I blush even to ask it, but...what does "IMO" mean?

I hate when you can't figure out how to *move* in a game; as I've given up on "The Forgotten:It Begins", since I can't even move forward. *eye roll*

But anyway, sorry to be so off topic.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #34
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara100 View Post
Moment of Silence was a very good game. Which just goes to prove that beauty (or boredom) is in the eye of the beholder.
Apples and oranges. Boredom is a feeling, an experience in response to some eternal event; beauty is a perceived feature of something or someone, which may evoke all kinds of feelings and responses.

One man's heaven may be another man's hell, but that was not my point. Us human beings want variety, new things to look at, to do, new stimuli. We don't want the same old stuff in our games.

PS: IMO means in my opinion. IMNVHO means in my not very humble opinion.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #35
Stalker of Britain

Thank you very much, Fienepien. I just don't like using abbreviations, so I thought I was missing one that had something to do with computer games.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #36

So Blonde bore me to the point of uninstalling. Maybe after playing the game for 20 minutes something gets better? Because I do not know if I should overcome my boredom and continue...
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
So Blonde bore me to the point of uninstalling. Maybe after playing the game for 20 minutes something gets better? Because I do not know if I should overcome my boredom and continue...
I'm halfway through and it's more boring than ever...and I only got there using a walkthrough cause otherwise I would have fallen asleep...
Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #38

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara100 View Post
I fail to see the need for the ongoing bashing you seem to be bent on in regards to this one title in several threads. We get it. You didn't like the game. Let's move on.
No bashing: a simple expression of personal opinion. If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry. I didn't like the game and - in threads where the name of this game come to the surface, or in the threads where I think that the game might come in handle as an example of my opinion - I'll continue to express myself.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #39
Headbanger

What are you all taking about? We've got a lot of great adventures recently on Nintendo DS, like Hotel Dusk and the Ace Attorney-games.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
No bashing: a simple expression of personal opinion. If you have a problem with that, I'm sorry. I didn't like the game and - in threads where the name of this game come to the surface, or in the threads where I think that the game might come in handle as an example of my opinion - I'll continue to express myself.
In another thread you told somebody to stay away from Moment of Silence. What if they would play it and love it? You can state your opinion, but don't tell people to stay away of some game, especially one that was generally liked.