You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bore, bored, boring...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #61

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Andrea is a...boy???!!! *shock gasp horror faint* lol Just kidding. Although I must admit, that detail escaped my notice. Oops, sorry, Andrea!!!!
Oh, yes. That's my well-kept secret
I know that the name Andrea may fool English or Americans, but we have to keep in mind that here in Italy the name is only masculine. As our fellow Greek forumists can tell you, the Greek root of the game andreia means "virility, courage" and so on.

Don't worry, Fantasysci5: it's surely no offense to me to be mistaken for a girl
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Grim Fandango never seemed like a comedy to me -- not in the way Sam & Max or Day of the Tentacle or most of the other LucasArts games were. The humor in Grim Fandango was more low key than in those games, and maybe appeals more to fans of the film noir movie genre that it parodied.
The game that brings together - skeletons, Mexicans and film noir - simply can't be bad

As you mentioned, the grim has a different sort of humor to it (I for example didn't care for Sam & Max and DOTT).

Grim has more style it doesn't go running around and waving its hand saying: "Look at me! Look at me! I'm telling a joke! Look I'm doing something stupid, it's SO funny!" (Ok, Sam & Max and DOTT were more subtle, but I still got that feel from time to time, but newer "comedy" games like Jack Keane and So Blonde - NOT FUNNY)
Old 08-01-2008, 01:48 AM   #63

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
The humor in Grim Fandango was more low key than in those games, and maybe appeals more to fans of the film noir movie genre that it parodied.
I do like film noir, especially from the 40s and the 50s [a moment off topic: if you liked GM, maybe you're too a fan of film noir: if so, have you seen The Man who wasn't there and Mulholland Drive? The greatest contemporary noir, in my opinion ]

What I didn't like about Grim Fandango (so to answer also at the curiosity of Fantasysci5), it's the same thing I didn't like about many other Lucas adventures: I didn't care at all about any of the characters - I always find them a little inconsistent, *vanishing* - nor I was intrigued by the plot, which often seems to me only an escamotage to present new whacky lines or other stereotypical characters. The only exceptions where Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, a great game with a very solid story and a bunch of funny and interesting supporting characters (primary, Sophia), and The Dig - which I really have to replay - that had a very mature, not light-hearted nor humorous, but enthralling writing.

Plus, in Grim Fandango Tim Schafer explored a folklore that I didn't like and the so lauded graphics appeared laughable to me; the story was so whimsical that it lost believability around the third or fourth segment of the game, and the noir feeling was so artificial and non-genuine that represented to me more a complaint that a plus.

It's just a personal opinion, given the other personal opinion about the general trends of game developing in LucasArts.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #64
Stalker of Britain

I agree, Andrea. I have trouble getting into games where a subject just really doesn't interest me.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-01-2008, 03:40 PM   #65
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Oh, yes. That's my well-kept secret
I know that the name Andrea may fool English or Americans, but we have to keep in mind that here in Italy the name is only masculine. As our fellow Greek forumists can tell you, the Greek root of the game andreia means "virility, courage" and so on.

Don't worry, Fantasysci5: it's surely no offense to me to be mistaken for a girl
Wasted effort to hit on you now. haha Just kidding

I had a feeling that your name was Italian.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #66
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
andreia means "virility, courage"
Mmmm...virility, courage. Sounds sexy! haha just kidding
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #67

Quote:
Grim Fandango never seemed like a comedy to me -- not in the way Sam & Max or Day of the Tentacle or most of the other LucasArts games were. The humor in Grim Fandango was more low key than in those games, and maybe appeals more to fans of the film noir movie genre that it parodied.
Basically I want the game to be at least funny or have an interesting storyline. Grim Fandango was kinda amusing, but not really funny. There were a few funny jokes, but they were too few. And the story was lame and not interesting, it was bizzare, all those weird, ugly, uninteresting and unrealistic characters and things the developers and producers must have been smoking some serious weed. And on top of that we had to use keyboarf to play that epic nonsense.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #68
Kung Fu Code Poet

Re - Grim Fandango + humour.

The humour was actually quite witty and clever, and quite frequent. The problem with humour, is that it is extremely subjective. It's near impossible to have a joke or gag that will be funny to every culture, gender, in-crowd etc.

In jokes especially... if you have never played a Lucasarts game before, and then suddenly play one full of in-jokes and references to their previous games, then you'd be lost on a lot of those jokes.

A lot of people are also completely immune to dry humour, sarcasm, slapstick etc.

To me Grim Fandango was funny on the same level as something like "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?", which a lot of people aslo did not get - and as for the setting... I loved the surreal aspect of it, but hey... your mileage may vary.

And back on topic... yah, I think most modern day adventure games are quite uninspired. We'll probably never see another Last Express. And it's a pity that one turned out to be one of the biggest commercial flops ever.